Bills asking for conditional 2nd rounder for Henry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Bills asking for conditional 2nd rounder for Henry?

Got this from an FBG email:

Clipped from: Jaguars.com article by Vic Ketchman, 7/7/05

Join jaguars.com senior editor Vic Ketchman as he tackles the fans' tough questions.

Joni from Jacksonville: Hey, Vic, welcome back! ESPN recently reported that Fred Taylor will miss the first weeks of training camp. Is that report accurate? Also, they say the Jags are interested in Travis Henry and that the Bills won't let him go for less than a third-round pick. Is that the right price for the Jags?

Vic: I don't know when Fred Taylor will be ready to go. We're just going to have to wait and see. As far as Travis Henry is concerned, my information is that the Bills want the compensation in a trade for him to be conditional. My information is they want the compensation to be upgraded to a second-round pick if Henry achieves a designated level of production. I think that's the stumbling block in a trade. A second-round pick starts to get a little pricey. I have no problem with a third-round pick. As far as I'm concerned, if the price is a third-round pick, pull the trigger.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

We've been hearing for months that the Bills were seeking a third-round pick for Henry. Now here's Vic Ketchman saying he'd have no problem trading a third-round pick for him. Ketchman is not a Jaguars team official; he's the Senior Editor for the team's official website. But he's probably as plugged in as any writer is about what Jaguars team officials may be thinking.

The Titans had been considered the most probable destination for Henry during most of the offseason, but the Jaguars appear to be just as serious a possibility.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Bills asking for conditional 2nd rounder for Henry?

Well this is why TD gets the big bucks. If it were me I would take the third rounder and get Henry out of here. If Fred Taylor gets better quickly than the Titans can name their price and turn the third rounder into a fourth rounder. However, if Taylor stays where he's at than TD probably gets the conditional 2nd rounder.

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

I think it's smart to wait a little longer and get as much as we can.

It's not like Henry is in Buffalo being disruptive.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• clumping platelets

Jags Depth chart

Not much to trade either.

Cond 2nd is very appropriate for a team such as the Jags. If Henry were to match previous output, they are challenging for the AFC Title IMHO. At a minimum, a long ride in the playoffs, so it would be a late #2. I would even say the Bills could offer back a late rd pick if we got the #2 but we would be guaranteed the 3rd

Jags send #2 for Henry and #6

OR

Jags send #3 for Henry

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I had been along thinking a 3rd rounder is a little cheap for Henry. Being greedy as I am, I've wanted a 2nd. But TD has announced to the world before that he just wanted a 3rd, so I was wondering how TD was going to back out of his promise. I guess his skin is a lot thicker than mine, that's why he gets the big bucks.

I say hold up until someone gives a conditional 2nd. TC is just around the corner, and teams are beginning to get desperate.

Comment

• ryjam282
            Offical Billszone Starting QB
            • Mar 2003

The plot thickens....Nice job TD, get what you can. Since there are 2 teams vying for his services why not ask more and make one of them crack.

Ryan Withey
            Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by clumping platelets
              Jags Depth chart

Not much to trade either.

Cond 2nd is very appropriate for a team such as the Jags. If Henry were to match previous output, they are challenging for the AFC Title IMHO. At a minimum, a long ride in the playoffs, so it would be a late #2. I would even say the Bills could offer back a late rd pick if we got the #2 but we would be guaranteed the 3rd

Jags send #2 for Henry and #6

OR

Jags send #3 for Henry
              Do you mean Jags send #2 pick and get #6 of the Bills?

Getting a 2nd round pick would be fantastic for next year. I guess it would depend on results this year on what we get, but I think the draft next year is heavy on OTs, TEs and WRs.

Depending on how Edwards does, we may need a DT (we may need one anyways since Adams is getting older).

We will probably need a WR to eventually replace Moulds.

We will obviously need a monster OT for our LT.

Unless Gauss shows something, we may need a DE opposite Schobel that can do more than Kelsay.

And then just backups for eventual replacements - like ILB for Fletcher, etc.

I don't think we have many holes, except at LT and next year, we can definitely fill that in the 2nd rd if we get 2 2nd rounders and still end up with a monster LT!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Yes, I'm talkin' aboot our 6th rd 2006 and Henry for the Jags 2nd in 2006. They get the 6th rd pick IF we get the 2nd.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                  • Mar 2005

Im in no hurry to trade him. Keep in camp, there is bound to be more injuries at the running back position. Then his value would shoot right up. His value is higher then Alexander, and James, because they are both demanding major contracts. Henry has less ware and tear, and can be had under a cheaper contract. Beside if Wills gets hurt we could still use Henry. Yes i think he would play for us. It would be career suicide to sit out a whole year.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                    Maybe?
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                    If it were me I would take the third rounder and get Henry out of here. If Fred Taylor gets better quickly than the Titans can name their price and turn the third rounder into a fourth rounder.
                    As they say on Wall Street, there are bears, bulls and pigs. And you know what eventually happens to pigs.

I agree - if Taylor heals up, we'll be lucky to even get a conditional 3rd for TH from the Titans, which means he'll probably stay a Bill. That will be a total mess, so let's hope something happens sooner than later. I think TH is worth a conditional 2nd, but a 3rd round pick with no conditions at this point is okay with me.

Comment

• Mudflap1
                      Next Question!
                      • Nov 2004

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. We don't know the whole inside scoop, but it's kinda dishonest to say you want a 3rd round pick, then up the ante once you get offered the 3rd. Maybe he said conditional 2nd the whole time, who knows.

Pull the trigger soon.

Jon

Comment

• Aero II
                        RWS Grounds Keeper. Why won't my grass grow?
                        • Jul 2002

Sr Editor for the Jaguars website? He's probobly saying a conditional 2nd, so that when TH goes for a 3rd he can say that the Bills buckled under the pressure of the Jags Front Office.

Comment

• L.A. Playa
                          • Aug 2003

I think there are actually 4 teams in the mix right now Houston is not happy with Davis and lurking in the Henry talks and Seattle is not gonna pay Alexander so they need a starting RB. I think a 2 next year is better for the Bills anyway, in a much betetr draft they have leverage with two second rounders to make some moves and get the player they want

Comment

• Bert102176
                            • Aug 2002

hopefully we can get it and soon I'm sick of waiting, we know he is being an ass and says he won't play for the Bills again so to hell with him we don't need a me player here this is a team sport I hope he gets traded and never gets another 1,000 + season, but would rather him get his head out of his ars and realize winning means more than anything else and decides to play for us again and not be selfish.
                            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                              • Feb 2005

WGR link
                              Rumors Fly About Henry
                              Scott Wilson - Friday, July 8, 2005 - 10:01 AM

(WGR 550) - With the start of Bills training camp closing in, the rumors have intensified about what exactly will happen with Buffalo's unhappy running back Travis Henry. The last few days have drawn attention to a possible deal that would send Henry to Jacksonville to fill the void left by an injured Fred Taylor.

The WGR Morning Show is counting down the days to training camp by going Around The League to preview each NFL team. Today, they talked with Jaguars Play-by-Play man Brian Sexton who got right to the point. When asked if he thought that Jacksonville was going to trade for Henry he said simply, "Yes."

Sexton went on to say that the Jags like his style of running and his cap number, not to mention that his performance will be pushed by him being in the final year of a contract, so he would be surprised if they didn't make a move on him.

Sexton added, "The main hold up is that Tom Donahoe wants a compensation pick if Henry reaches a certain yardage mark for the season. They'll squawk about it for a while then get it done the first week of training camp because the Jags can't have any confidence in Taylor."

There's been no comment from either team on a potential deal but keep it tuned to WGR for any breaking news on the Henry situation, and for Around The League - every weekday morning at 8:45am with Howard Simon and Jeremy White.

Comment

Working...
                              X