PDA

View Full Version : NFL's Greatest Games-The Comeback

BillyT92679
12-24-2002, 10:29 PM
Man, it was really moving to go back and look at the highlights of one of the touchstone games in modern sports history. Three things I noticed.

Firstly just about everbody from that Oilers team (Eddie Robinson, Jerry Gray, Steve Jackson, Kevin Gilbride, even GW) is now with the Bills!

Secondly, I never realized the residual effect that game had upon the Oilers franchise. Yes they went to the playoffs in 1993, but everything went to hell that year for the team, with Babygate, and that Jeff Alm fellow committing suicide, and "the punch" from Buddy to KG. They never really recovered from the Bills loss (vis a vis the loss to the Broncos the year earlier). They struggled for a couple years and essentially were the Montreal Expos of the NFL. That loss was like the 1994 baseball strike. It ruined the team for its fans and they never went back.

Finally, those playoff games of 1992, I would say were really the capstone of the great Bills teams. Yes, they went again in 1993, but that SB team was more of a transitional team. 1992 was the last of the old guard... the last of the magical Bills, when you always knew they would pull it out and never give up.