• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Seattle steps up effort to land Henry

There's been a ton of discussion lately about whether Henry will be sent to Jacksonville or Tennessee, but Len P posted an article on ESPN Insider:

T. Henry to Seattle? (SUBSCRIPTION REQUIRED)

that says the Seahawks have renewed conversations with Tom Donahoe after Alexander's declaration that he won't suit up without a long-term deal. The article goes on to mention that JAX and TEN are still the front runners, but SEA has stepped up its efforts.

One has to wonder whether, if this deal was consumated, it would be enough to get Alexander to sign his one-year franchise tender or rather, push him further away from wanting to come back into the fold.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

• Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

Re: Seattle steps up effort to land Henry

ESPN Rumour Central

Seahawks inquire about Henry
    In the wake of Shaun Alexander's statement last week that he won't play in 2005 without a long-term contract, Seattle Seahawks officials have renewed their interest in Henry, reports ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli.

Henry also has threatened to hold out of training camp. The four-year veteran is entering the final season of his contract and is due a base salary of $1.25 million.

The Titans and Jaguars remain the teams most likely to trade for Henry, and both clubs have had in-depth discussions with Buffalo officials and agent Hadley Engelhard, who represents Henry. Buffalo GM Tom Donahoe is seeking a third-round draft pick in return for Henry.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
      • Mar 2004

Friday, July 8
      WHOINTERESTEDTHE SKINNY

Damien Robinson
      Seahawks
      Cowboys
      Bills?
      Cowboys considering veteran safety
      The former Seahawks safety worked out for the Cowboys on Thursday, his second audition in Dallas this offseason, reports the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram. Dallas, which signed Izell Reese in June, is looking for a free safety to play alongside strong safety Roy Williams. Robinson also worked out for the Bills.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
        • Mar 2004

Seahawks could turn to Henry

By Len Pasquarelli
        ESPN.com
        Archive

Words aren't always followed by actions in the NFL. Sometimes, though, there are reactions that turn diatribes into deeds, and that could be the case for the Seattle Seahawks in their dealings with disgruntled tailback Shaun Alexander.

In the wake of Alexander's public pronouncements last week, in which he indicated he will not play in 2005 without a long-term contract, Seattle officials have renewed their interest in Buffalo Bills tailback Travis Henry, who has been on the trading block much of the offseason.

The Seahawks first spoke with the Bills about Henry before the draft, but talks then went dormant until last week, when Seattle checked in on his status. The contact with the Bills came after Alexander's remarks and the two teams are expected to speak again this week.

The NFL's second-leading rusher in '05, and a two-time Pro Bowl performer, Alexander has rushed for more than 1,000 yards and at least 14 touchdowns each of the last four seasons. He said last week, though, that it is "out of the question" he will sign the qualifying offer of $6.32 million that accompanies his franchise player status.

Because league rules prohibit a player not under contract from participating in offseason workouts, Alexander hasn't been around for any voluntary or minicamp sessions. Since the Seahawks are not inclined at this point to work on a long-term contract, it seems a good bet Alexander will not be on hand when the Seahawks open camp July 28.

Henry has twice rushed for 1,000 yards in his career but lost his starting job to Willis McGahee in 2004 when he was injured. The four-year veteran, regarded as one of the NFL's toughest backs, has boycotted all of the Bills' offseason workouts and vowed to skip camp. He is entering the final season of his contract, scheduled for a base salary of $1.25 million, and any team that dealt for Henry would want an extension.

The Tennessee Titans and Jacksonville Jaguars remain the teams most likely to trade for Henry, and both clubs have had in-depth discussions with Buffalo officials and Henry's agent, Hadley Engelhard. The Titans are seeking a backup to oft-injured starter Chris Brown and the Jaguars want insurance in the event star tailback Fred Taylor is not sufficiently recovered from offseason knee surgery.

Because the Jaguars are expected to ramp up Taylor's workouts in an effort to determine the status of his recovery, this could be a key week for both team and player.

With the renewed interest of the Seahawks, though, the Bills have gained another suitor for Henry, and perhaps, increased leverage. Buffalo president and general manger Tom Donahoe has held firm on his demand for a third-round draft choice in return for Henry.

For the Seahawks, of course, the question of what to do with Alexander certainly remains paramount. Seattle has the prerogative of rescinding the franchise marker at any time, thus making Alexander an unrestricted free agent, with the possibility of having him leave and getting nothing in return. The Seahawks would consider trading Alexander, but he has generated little interest around the league.

Comment

• lordofgun
          in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
          • Jul 2002

Are you guys trying to one-up me?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lordofgun
            Are you guys trying to one-up me?
            Guys? it's just me.

And i thought people might appreciate the story if they don't have insider.

(althought the whole story doesn't really have any more info in it anyway)

Comment

• Jayhawk
              • Aug 2004

good now the race starts up.
              http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Maybe we can get a first.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

let's franchise him now.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                    let's franchise him now.
                    Then all the deals would stop..and I don't think he'd sign the tender away..he's trying to get to a team that will let him start or play more than the Bills'

Reach for the stars

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                      I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
                      • Jul 2005

Is Damien Robinson a FS or a SS or does it matter? Why are the bills interested in him with Milloy and Vincent as starters and solid backups(Wire Baker,Leonhardt)?

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                        let's franchise him now.
                        you can't "franchise" a guy in July, who has a contract, and a 1.25 mill base salary......

Comment

• Shasta McNasty
                          • Feb 2003

Originally posted by MDFINFAN
                          Then all the deals would stop..and I don't think he'd sign the tender away..he's trying to get to a team that will let him start or play more than the Bills'
                          its sarcasm from justa...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

TD to TN, J'Ville, Seattle: Open for Henry bid - start this week; minimum 3rd round 2006; end Bills training camp starting date.

Comment

• BBlades89
                              • Mar 2004

No offense for those of you on here who like Henry, but I really don't want Seattle to get him. I don't think he'd fit well in the Hawks' offense, plus I would rather have them keep their 3rd rounder.

BTW, I really like Damien Robinson (or D-Rob as we called him). He did have some probs with the Jets, but was fine w/Seattle. He was injured all of last year (on the IR) and got caught up in the numbers game this year.

Seahawks.net--Home of the 12th Man!

Comment

Working...
                              X