PDA

View Full Version : Sept 13, Bills vs Texans

ghz in pittsburgh
07-11-2005, 01:54 PM
There are many predictions and beer talks. I read several boards and most people point a towards neutral stat: 1 TD 1 INT 200 yards.

Listen to what Mularkay said about Losman and his decision to go with Losman, you will hear that he repeated the word of "being smart about it." To me, that means doing what the Steelers did to Roethlisbeger last year: minimze the passing exposure while maximizing the strength. In Ben's case, it's his elusiveness in the pocket (hard to take his 260lb down); in JP's case, it could well be his running ability.

My prediction is that Mularkay may not want Losman to throw more than 15 times the whole game. So I'll say 100 yards passing, no TD, no INT. He may easily have 50 yards rushing himself, especially on 3rd downs. A steady dose of McGahee and sweeps and other tricks to play it safe. Defense and special teams do what they did last year to give us good field positions, allowing McGahee and company 2 rushing TDs (1 may come from Losman himself running). D and ST provide the other TD directly themselves. We stand a very good chance to win this first game with 3 touchdowns scroed for the home guys.

In summary, I think it will be a conservative game, much like what Mularkay planned for Drew last year. The difference is that with Losman's feet, there is one more safe option in the conservative plan.

Mudflap1
07-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Very similar to the Jacksonville game this year. I'll be optimisic, and say the Bills hold on and win this one 10-6. Losman is 9-17 for 145 years, no TD, 1 INT.

Let's not expect miracles. Lots of running and defense.

Jon

OpIv37
07-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Negged. The season opener is Sept. 11.

I don't know what JP will do, but I want to see him come out and throw a 20 yard pass on the very first play. If he doesn't strike some fear in the opposing defense FAST, it's going to be a repeat of last season: no respect for the QB so they put 8 men in the box and make it impossible to run.

BAM
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
actually it's Sept. 11

BAM
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Negged. The season opener is Sept. 11..

:up:

ghz in pittsburgh
07-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately I don't have tickets to the opener, so I have to sit in front of directv....

Those 20 yard strike will come. I just don't think it will come right away. It's a double edged sword. If it gets picked right off the bat, it may damage his confidence and his teamates' confidence in him. The key words are - from Mularkay's mouth - "be smart about it." Do the little things, call some safe plays, then call plays that play into his strength, have some success, win a game.

I recall last year Roethlisberger got his first win in Miami, a 13 - 3 affair, with him completing 12 passes for 160 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT along with one sack (fumbled and lost), really nothing to write home about. But according to him, that win gave him a huge confidence boost even though Staley and Bettis (150 some yards rushing) and defense (4 TOs) carried the day. I'd think Mularkay is hoping for the same thing on Spet. 11. Get a win, no matter how you do it, will help Losman much more than having him come out to prove to the world that he could throw a 20 yard strike now.

The last buffalo fan
07-11-2005, 03:57 PM
I think that most of the teams, will be waiting our conservative approach, and MM will air it out, so my opinion goes to up to 250 yds, two tds, one sack and no fumbles nor picks. Buffalo wins.

elltrain22
07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
I am a bit optimistic, but also am realistic about this. I really think that he throws for over 200 yds, doesn't throw more than 2 pics, and doesn't get sacked more than twice, then that would be sufficient. But my prediction, against a tough and improved Houston Dee:

11-21 185 yards, 1 TD, 1 int

3 sacks

and the bills will win...

Throne Logic
07-11-2005, 05:59 PM
His first pass will be among the high-percentage variety. Some simple dump-off to Evans on the short slant, or something. Might even be a bootleg followed by a short dump off.

Would not shock me if Mularky tries to air it out a bit more than we expect because Tennessee will be looking for the simple game plan. Plus, we have a fairly scary set of WR's this year. Nope, wouldn't shock me at all if they opened that game with a spread formation (then tossed the short dump off).

THATHURMANATOR
07-11-2005, 06:15 PM
I say he goes deep to Evans 80 yard bomb!

ZacGriffi~82
07-11-2005, 06:58 PM
His first pass will be among the high-percentage variety. Some simple dump-off to Evans on the short slant, or something. Might even be a bootleg followed by a short dump off.

Would not shock me if Mularky tries to air it out a bit more than we expect because Tennessee will be looking for the simple game plan. Plus, we have a fairly scary set of WR's this year. Nope, wouldn't shock me at all if they opened that game with a spread formation (then tossed the short dump off).We're playing Houston not Tennessee. :up:

footballhottie
07-11-2005, 08:07 PM
what ****** dosnt know when the season starts.......YOU ARE NOT A HARD CORE BILLS FAN DUDE! and sept 11th for christ sake what an easy date to remember

footballhottie
07-11-2005, 08:13 PM
grrrrrrr....fine your not a ******

happy phil?

ghz in pittsburgh
07-11-2005, 09:06 PM
You are right hottie, I'm not considered a die hard football fan in my circle. I know many of you on the board can't wait for the summer to be over with so we get into the NFL season again. Me? I want to enjoy the June July Auguest months as long as I can. Golfing, sailing, swimming, ... even just work around in shorts is a nice change.

ZacGriffi~82
07-11-2005, 09:09 PM
You are right hottie, I'm not considered a die hard football fan in my circle. I know many of you on the board can't wait for the summer to be over with so we get into the NFL season again. Me? I want to enjoy the June July Auguest months as long as I can. Golfing, sailing, swimming, ... even just work around in shorts is a nice change.
Nothing wrong with that. :up:

ublinkwescore
07-11-2005, 10:40 PM
grrrrrrr....fine your not a ******

happy phil?

?

How did Phil come into this?

cordog
07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I recall last year Roethlisberger got his first win in Miami, a 13 - 3 affair, with him completing 12 passes for 160 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT along with one sack (fumbled and lost), really nothing to write home about. But according to him, that win gave him a huge confidence boost even though Staley and Bettis (150 some yards rushing) and defense (4 TOs) carried the day. I'd think Mularkay is hoping for the same thing on Spet. 11. Get a win, no matter how you do it, will help Losman much more than having him come out to prove to the world that he could throw a 20 yard strike now.

Not to stick up for Big Ben or anything, but that game was played in a hurricane. It was delayed and played on Sunday night.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Still, I found people so eager to have Losman prove that he can do everything, including beating teams by his passing, having teams not making 8 men front, right from the get-go in 2005. Right on!!! Which rookies (I know JP's not a rookie but almost) QB did that from the first game in their career? Not Marino, certainly not Roethlisberger. So don't be surprised that you get dissappointed that Losman fails to light up the fire on Sept. 11.

If we were the Texans and we were facing a team with a rookie QB, I have no doubt that the majority of us would predict us a win even though the opponent have a reasonably good team around him - "they have a rookie QB, he's bound to make mistakes and give us some gifts." Having that QB to air out, to open up is exactly what we would hope for because that would open up the QB for more mistakes.

Losman is going to make mistakes, part of the growing process. When will he likely make more mistakes? At the beginning of the season, as we all hope for. So being conservative to start the season is a smart move. And the opponent knows that - they know the Bills is likely make less mistakes, harder to beat at home when they go conservative with a rookie QB. No doubt they will approach the game that way. So now we should open up and play right into their hands? Geez I thought you guys are smart.

Study plays and films are a necessary part of being good. Losman has done that. Playing in real game is different, especially on pass plays because the opponent does not always cooperate by lineup to what you see on the film or follow your playbook development. It's a graduate process to adapt your thinking and knowledge to the game situation of snap decision making. For the sake of Losman and Bills 2005 season, Mularkay better stick with a conservative game plan.

HHURRICANE
07-12-2005, 08:46 AM
Too early to speculate what kind of game plan will be in place for the opener. If Losman looks exceptional in Pre-Season than you will see him throwing.

The last buffalo fan
07-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Your comments MR ghz, are always right on the money. I think that we are so excited for the season to start, that we are making optimistic predictions, but in the end of this, we just want to win, it does not matter how, but just win baby. And if during this process our guy shines, mucho mejor.

footballhottie
07-12-2005, 11:51 AM
?

How did Phil come into this?
He said it wasnt nice to call people ******s