PDA

View Full Version : Question about Offseason

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Eb,
Before we have to make decisions of what players to protect on our rosters will we have an updated player ranking chart based on stats and player performance in th 2005 NFL season or will we have to choose based on what we perceived of how our players did in the 2005 season ??

Thanks

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Also, will the salary cap rise every year or will it stay at $85 mil?

Devin
07-12-2005, 01:05 PM
85 Mil forever. (player salaries dont rise in the BZFL)

He will provide you with player rankings id imagine before the cuts are due.

RetroRaiders81
07-12-2005, 01:15 PM

I thought the player salaries did rise?

Forward_Lateral
07-12-2005, 01:18 PM

??? They sure as hell do. I believe they double each year, until they reach 10 mil, which is the max. For example, a guy making 1 Mil this year, will make 2 next year, 4 the year after, and so on and so forth.

That Guy
07-12-2005, 01:22 PM
From the Constitution:

16.6 - Multi-year contracts may be for as many years as an owner desires.

16.6a – After completion of the first season each owner will be required to tender offers to at least 20 but no more than 35 players.

16.7 - The salary of a player with a multi-year contract of no more than four years will increase 1 million per every additional year. For example, a player with an initial salary of $500k signed to a four year contract will have salaries of $500k, $1.5 million, $2.5 million, and $3.5 million during the four years.

16.8 - Players signed to contracts of 5 years or more will have yearly increases of 1.5 million per year. So a player with an initial contract of $500k signed to a 5-year contract will have salaries of $500k, $2 million, $3.5 million, $5 million and $6.5 million for the relevant years.

16.9 - There is a $10 million cap on all salaries in the BZFL. Therefore, players with an initial salary of $10 million may be signed for as many years as a BZFL owner desires at the $10 million salary level. Another example would be a $5 million initial salary player signed to a 7-year contract would have salaries of $5 million, $6.5 million, $8 million, $9.5 million, $10 million, $10 million and $10 million for the respective years.

Devin
07-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Sorry I wasnt clear. What I mean is 10 mil is the ceiling. They cannot rise past that.

This forces each owner to not only be creative, but to also do long term planning and budgeting.

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Based on the fact that player salaries do rise even though capped at $10 mil, I would assume that there should also be a rise in the salary cap each year as well

Devin
07-12-2005, 01:57 PM
nope, you can only keep like 35 players each year.

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
i know you can only keep 35 but at least 20 have to be signed long term contracts which escalate between $1-1.5 million per year maxing out at $10 million per year so in theory it would be impossible for any team to be under and $85 million cap in 5 years use this as an example you sign 20 player to 5 year contracts at $1 mil for the first year here are the 5 year breakdowns for thos 20 players

year 1 = 20 million
year 2 = 40 million
year 3= 60 million
year 4 = 80 million
year 5 = 100 million

therefore come year 4 or 5 making it impossible for you not to go over the cap just based on the language of the constitution whe signing players to just $ 1 mil a year contract let alone a higher priced player, I am just trying to get understanding here

Devin
07-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Right but I am assuming the idea is that you cant sign said players for that long if they eventually dont fit your cap.

So if you have 10 higher priced players you want to keep you may only be able to afford 4-5.

Ebenezer
07-12-2005, 02:25 PM
ok...lots of stuff in this thread...let me comment...

Ebenezer
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Eb,
Before we have to make decisions of what players to protect on our rosters will we have an updated player ranking chart based on stats and player performance in th 2005 NFL season or will we have to choose based on what we perceived of how our players did in the 2005 season ??

Thanks

Each year the database is updated to reflect what each player did the previous season. It also includes new players and gets rid of players that did not play that season. I will purchase the game as soon as it become available in March and send out the charts to everybody. You will then have a chance to review it and decide who you want to keep, release and what kind of contracts you want to offer.

Also, will the salary cap rise every year or will it stay at $85 mil?

My original goal was to keep it at $85 mil forever but I might increase it by a $1 mil or $2 per year.

Based on the fact that player salaries do rise even though capped at $10 mil, I would assume that there should also be a rise in the salary cap each year as well

see above.

i know you can only keep 35 but at least 20 have to be signed long term contracts which escalate between $1-1.5 million per year maxing out at $10 million per year so in theory it would be impossible for any team to be under and $85 million cap in 5 years use this as an example you sign 20 player to 5 year contracts at $1 mil for the first year here are the 5 year breakdowns for thos 20 players

year 1 = 20 million
year 2 = 40 million
year 3= 60 million
year 4 = 80 million
year 5 = 100 million

therefore come year 4 or 5 making it impossible for you not to go over the cap just based on the language of the constitution whe signing players to just $ 1 mil a year contract let alone a higher priced player, I am just trying to get understanding here

you must keep between 20 and 35 players each offseason. You can cut anybody you want. That 20-35 players also include any draft choices you want to move to the active roster. Players can be on a one year deal. They DO NOT have to be "long term" contracts.

There will be large amounts of turnover in the game. Of the 53 players you drafted this year I would bet that less than 10 are on your roster in 4 years. Check the real NFL; that happens there too. Guarentee that if you have 2 or 3 guys that make >$7.5 mil a year you will end up having lots of little paid players...that is fine; build your team as you wish.

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 02:42 PM
sorry im asking so many questions just trying to understand the rules.

so after this offseason we can protect 35 players and our rookies or 35 players including our rookies???

and if we want everyone can be on 1 year contracts ???

Ebenezer
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
sorry im asking so many questions just trying to understand the rules.

so after this offseason we can protect 35 players and our rookies or 35 players including our rookies???

and if we want everyone can be on 1 year contracts ???
for the 2005-2006 offseason you can keep between 20-35 including rookies...all subsequent years you have to keep a minimum of 20 and as many as you can fit under the cap.

In theory, you many have them all on 1-year contracts in 2006 but they will all become unrestricted free agents at the end of the year and you would have to put 20 of them under contract at an additional $1mil per player ($20 mil total). In the true spirit of the rules only players that are under a "long-term" deal (2 or more years) are yours at seasons end. Those playing under 1-year contracts are unrestricted free agents that enter the FA draft and cannot be resigned unless redrafted.

Ebenezer
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
for the 2005-2006 offseason you can keep between 20-35 including rookies...all subsequent years you have to keep a minimum of 20 and as many as you can fit under the cap.

In theory, you many have them all on 1-year contracts in 2006 but they will all become unrestricted free agents at the end of the year and you would have to put 20 of them under contract at an additional $1mil per player ($20 mil total). In the true spirit of the rules only players that are under a "long-term" deal (2 or more years) are yours at seasons end. Those playing under 1-year contracts are unrestricted free agents that enter the FA draft and cannot be resigned unless redrafted.
and remember if you sign a guy to a (for example) 4 year $20 mil deal and want to cut him after year 2 you will face a penalty equal to half of the total remaining contract at the start of year 3.

L.A. Playa
07-12-2005, 03:11 PM
Thank you I have a better understanding now

Canadian'eh!
07-31-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm still lost :(

I was thinking about this today.

So, if i resign a guy to a 4 year deal, he salary rises 1 mill per year up to 10 mill. Obviously you can't sign 20 guys to a 2 year deal even, because your cap number jumps by 20 mill in year 2.

So you could probably only sign 4-5 guys to a 4 year deal (I'm avoiding 5 year deals in any form unless they guy is a superstar at age 22 since they go up by 1.5 per). Then after 4 years you can't even re-up. He's UFA unless you draft him back?

It sounds like you are screwed if you drafted for youth. your team isn't staying even close to what it was anyway. Better to have 3-4 young and talented stars signed for 4 years and hope there are no injuries where they only play 4-8 games. Because then you are stuck with their high salary for a year (or half of what is left)

It seems that you can sign maybe 4-5 guys long term maybe another 1-2 for 2 or 3 years and then the rest of your 20+ to a 1 year deal (keeping the same salary for the 2nd year) then you have to find a replacement and let them go in the draft (barring any restricted FA moves). Also keeping in mind you cannot retain them unless you get them back in the UFA draft/

So the lesson is, build for the now. because the vast majority of your players are only here for 1-2 years max?

this is gonna be hard!

Ebenezer
08-01-2005, 08:08 AM
I'm still lost :(

I was thinking about this today.

So, if i resign a guy to a 4 year deal, he salary rises 1 mill per year up to 10 mill. Obviously you can't sign 20 guys to a 2 year deal even, because your cap number jumps by 20 mill in year 2.

So you could probably only sign 4-5 guys to a 4 year deal (I'm avoiding 5 year deals in any form unless they guy is a superstar at age 22 since they go up by 1.5 per). Then after 4 years you can't even re-up. He's UFA unless you draft him back?

It sounds like you are screwed if you drafted for youth. your team isn't staying even close to what it was anyway. Better to have 3-4 young and talented stars signed for 4 years and hope there are no injuries where they only play 4-8 games. Because then you are stuck with their high salary for a year (or half of what is left)

It seems that you can sign maybe 4-5 guys long term maybe another 1-2 for 2 or 3 years and then the rest of your 20+ to a 1 year deal (keeping the same salary for the 2nd year) then you have to find a replacement and let them go in the draft (barring any restricted FA moves). Also keeping in mind you cannot retain them unless you get them back in the UFA draft/

So the lesson is, build for the now. because the vast majority of your players are only here for 1-2 years max?

this is gonna be hard!
check out the real NFL and compare player turnover rates...you'll see over time that the rate is only a little more here. The original draft, and even the first offseason are cake...after that it gets very very challenging.

Canadian'eh!
08-01-2005, 02:10 PM
check out the real NFL and compare player turnover rates...you'll see over time that the rate is only a little more here. The original draft, and even the first offseason are cake...after that it gets very very challenging.

Just making sure i got it straight.