PDA

View Full Version : Leonhard Anxious for Opportunity

The_Philster
07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
He finished his college career with 21 interceptions, tying a school record. His 50 pass breakups (21 INTs, 29 pass deflections) rank third in Wisconsin history. He is also the Badgers' all-time punt return leader in yards (1,347) and return average (12.8). He's second in school history in returns for touchdowns (3). He has earned All-American honors, Big Ten Conference honors and was a two-time team captain.

You might think all of these accolades belong to Bills safety Troy Vincent, one of Wisconsin's most well-known alums. However, we are talking about Bills rookie free safety Jim Leonhard. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3249

http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/C8A59B26B0C542ABB4D38039FE8452A1.jpg

FlyingDutchman
07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
I dont know much about this guy....did we get him as an undrafted free agent?

OpIv37
07-12-2005, 08:48 PM
those sound like pretty impressive records to go undrafted..... on the other hand, TD has has made some great decisions as far as undrafted defensive backfield players are concerned.

BBlades89
07-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Leonhard was supposed to be a 2nd day pick, but was never taken. I'm guessing it has to do with his size, as he is fairly small for a safety. He is a great ST player though and busts his butt. He is one of those guys you hate to root against. He came into WI as a walk-on and worked his way to a starter. He got that scholarship his sophmore year and never looked back. Because of his size, he will always have an uphill battle. I really hope he makes the Bills.

Jan Reimers
07-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Despite his size, Leonhard can play. He has great football smarts and is a high motor guy. I think he will at least make the PS, if not the active roster, and will eventually be a good pro.

Turf
07-13-2005, 06:19 AM
He looks like Tasker.

Earthquake Enyart
07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Too small and too slow.

Goldsberry is a better special teamer.

SabreEleven
07-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Too small and too slow.

and white

Earthquake Enyart
07-13-2005, 07:39 AM
Who needs another Coy Wire?

McGahee420
07-13-2005, 08:28 AM
I really don't know much about him. But his stats are impressive. If he was a walk on, then his work ethic must be top notch. I mean he made the team, and not only did he start, but made all conference honors and other awards like that. This kid probably puts 110% into everything and should be a great pick up for the bills. TD is truely one of the best in the league at finding undrafted free agents and making them into players.

GO BILLS!!!!

:xtreme:

The Patriots reign is over:hang:

FreddyvsJason
07-13-2005, 08:48 AM
Please God, not another Kazoo :nervous:

BillsFanCupp38
07-13-2005, 05:31 PM
he has a very impessive track record. I have never heard about him untill i saw him on the bills website. I will make the prediction that he makes the team and play solid special teams like Coy Wire. Or who even knows maybe we are looking at our next Steve Tasker.

justasportsfan
07-13-2005, 05:49 PM
BAker, Wire,Parrish , Williams,Reed and now him? Our team is getting smaller.

The Spaz
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Please God, not another Kazoo :nervous:

What records did Kelso own?

The Spaz
07-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Too small and too slow.

Goldsberry is a better special teamer.

The kid can play it just depends on if he can do it on the NFL level. The guy runs a 4.5 yard 40 yard dash that isn't slow and he won the slam dunk competition 2 years in row while in college against the badger basketball team so he definitely athletic enough. Also I like Goldsberry as well.

praedld
07-13-2005, 09:00 PM
He will play hard and smart, a great athlete( 2 time football team slam dunk contest winner) and 2 year captain . A walk-on from a town of approx 100
( small even by Northern WI standards) and competed with Leinenkugel's
Beer for the title of "the Legend of The Northwoods". A great many Packer/Badger fans were upset that he got out of state, but rather the Bills than the Vi, I just can't print the name. His size is probably maxed out at the 185-190 range and his speed is about 4.5, almost slow and truly small, but great instincts when he doesn't gamble and as fearless a punt returner as you will ever see. He will impress coaches and the guys he plays with.

Turf
07-13-2005, 09:18 PM
and white

When you can get away with saying "and Black" call me.

Mr. Miyagi
07-14-2005, 03:49 AM
He will play hard and smart, a great athlete( 2 time football team slam dunk contest winner) and 2 year captain . A walk-on from a town of approx 100
( small even by Northern WI standards) and competed with Leinenkugel's
Beer for the title of "the Legend of The Northwoods". A great many Packer/Badger fans were upset that he got out of state, but rather the Bills than the Vi, I just can't print the name. His size is probably maxed out at the 185-190 range and his speed is about 4.5, almost slow and truly small, but great instincts when he doesn't gamble and as fearless a punt returner as you will ever see. He will impress coaches and the guys he plays with.
Madison is NOT "northern WI". :rolleyes:

And 4.5 is almost slow?? Another 0.1 second he'd considered fast?? :scratch:

mysticsoto
07-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Madison is NOT "northern WI". :rolleyes:

And 4.5 is almost slow?? Another 0.1 second he'd considered fast?? :scratch:
4.5 is about where Losman is, isn't it (4.59)? And he's not considered slow...

praedld
07-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Northern Wisconsin is a reference to Tony, not Madison and 4.5 is border
line speed when you are 190# and need to play a speed position.

Bert102176
07-17-2005, 02:08 AM
the only reason he wasn't drafted is cause he is on the smaller side

LifetimeBillsFan
07-17-2005, 04:47 AM
I actually saw him play a lot in college on TV and I was delighted and shocked that the Bills were able to get him as a UDFA.

The thing that made him stand out for me is that he has two qualities that can't be taught: he has a great "nose for the ball" and a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

As has been noted in previous posts, the knock on Leonhard--and the reason that he was not drafted--is that he is too small and too slow to make it in the NFL. That may or may not be true--it has been the knock on a number of pretty good players who have had good careers in the NFL, including L.Fletcher, Z.Thomas, etc.--but, in college, Leonhard was one of those guys who just always seemed to make the big play: the key INT or fumble recovery or big punt return late, etc.

One thing I can say is that he is NOT another Coy Wire! He may not make the play in the NFL because he may be too small or slow, but he will know where to be and will be doing his damnedest to be in the right area. Wire may be very intelligent (he did go to Stanford), but Leonhard has a feel for the game that Wire seems to me to lack.

I don't know if Leonhard has the physical ability to make it in the NFL, let alone grab a roster spot in a pretty talented and crowded Bills' defensive backfield. But, I do think the comparison to Steve Tasker and Mark Kelso is a good one. He's that kind of player. And, because he is, I think that he does have a chance to make the team and be a contributor.

Mr. Cynical
07-17-2005, 05:55 PM
BAker, Wire,Parrish , Williams,Reed and now him? Our team is getting smaller.
Yep.