PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Players Per Posistion For 2003 Nfl Draft!!!

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 09:55 AM
QB:
1. Byron Leftwich, Marshall
2. Carson Palmer, USC
3. Jason Gesser, Washington State
4. Ken Dorsey, Miami
5. Brad Banks, Iowa

RB:
1. Larry Johnson, Penn State
2. Lee Suggs, Virgina Tech
3. Onterio Smith, Oregon
4. Willis McGahee, Miami
5. Earnest Graham, Florida

FB:
1. Andrew Pinnock, South Carolina
2. Brandon Drumm, Colorado
3. B.J. Askew, Michigan
4. Jeremi Johnson, Western Kentucky
5. Casey Moore, Stanford

WR:
1. Charles Rogers, Michigan State
2. Roy Williams, Texas
3. Andre Johnson, Miami
4. Kelley Washington, Tennessee
5. Lee Evans, Wisconsin

TE:
1. Teyo Johnson, Stanford
2. Jason Witten, Tennessee
3. Mike Pinkard, Arizona State
4. Aaron Walker, Florida
5. Dallas Clark, Iowa

OT:
1. Brett Williams, Florida State
2. Jordan Gross, Utah
3. Kwame Harris, Stanford
4. Tony Pashos, Illinois
5. Steve Sciullo, Marshall

OG:
1. Vince Manuwai, Hawaii
2. Montrae Holland, Florida State
3. Derrick Dockery, Texas
4. Torrin Tucker, Southern Mississippi
5. Adrien Clarke, Ohio State

C:
1. Jeff Faine, Notre Dame
2. Alonzo Ephraim, Alabama
3. Brett Romberg, Miami
4. Al Johnson, Wisconsin
5. Dan Koppen, Boston College

DE:
1. Jerome McDougle, Miami
2. Michael Haynes, Penn State
3. Kindal Moorehead, Alabama
4. Terrell Suggs, Arizona State
5. Cory Redding, Texas

DT:
1. Jimmy Kennedy, Penn State
2. William Joseph, Miami
3. Vince Wilfork, Miami
4. Jarret Johnson, Alabama
5. DeWayne Robertson, Kentucky

OLB:
1. Boss Bailey, Georgia
2. Bradie James, LSU
3. D.J. Williams, Miami
4. Angelo Crowell, Virginia
5. Jarrod Penright, Texas A&M

ILB:
1. E.J. Henderson, Maryland
2. Mario Haggan, Mississippi State
3. Gerald Hayes, Pittsburgh
4. Terry Pierce, Kansas State
5. Clifton Smith, Syracuse

CB:
1. Terrence Newman, Kansas State
2. Andre Woolfolk, Oklahoma
3. Marcus Trufant, Washington State
4. Dennis Weathersby, Oregon State
5. Shane Walton, Notre Dame

S:
1. Mike Doss, Ohio State
2. Troy Polamalu, USC
3. Brandon Everage, Oklahoma
4. Anthony Floyd, Louisville
5. Terrence Holt, North Carolina State

Bills top choices in Rd 2 are: Boss Bailey, DJ Williams, Brandon Everage, Bradie James, Kinal Moorhead, Terell Suggs, Jarret Johnson.

JefftheBillsfan
12-26-2002, 09:59 AM
Willis McGahee=the best RB in the draft!!! He reminds me of Edgerinne. Good work bud. I have been too buisy to watch college football this year, I need to start reading up and getting in draft mode.

TypicalBill
12-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Terrell suggs should be a top 10 pick barring any setbacks

did DJ williams declare? i think he's staying for his senior year

Roy williams isn't coming out, he's staying for his senior year too

Vince wilfolk isn't either

and i think Terrell suggs is the best DE by far

We should be looking at
1. Boss Bailey, Georgia
2. Bradie James, LSU

i wouldn't be surprised if they're still available cuz this years OLB's are somewhat undersized. Nevertheless they're very fast and talented.

BTW, nice list :up:

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 10:08 AM
Suggs isnt the best DE on the list because he is absolutely horrid against the run, he is the best pure pass rusher in the NCAA. I believe DJ did declare, Sorry about putting guys on there that may not be declared I was kinda specualting and kinda ravaging through other sites for new news, but I couldnt be sure on those few.

TypicalBill
12-26-2002, 10:18 AM
you're right but his ability to get to the QB is unbeleivable, his run stopping has been poor because of his weight. If he bulks up a bit and reach around 270, he could turn into a monster DE.

no problem man :up: the players that didn't come out made their decision just a few days ago.

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 10:31 AM
I agree Suggs must bulk up to be worth the pick he'll be made at but based on all things being current he is not the top DE in the draft.

TypicalBill
12-26-2002, 10:35 AM
do you think we have a chance of grabbing him?

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 10:37 AM
I would have to guess he would go between 15-25, but if he isnt bulked up by combine times look for him to drop and drop fast. He has to bulk up or everyone will see a Corey Moore type.

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Mark my words, Larry Johnson will turn out to be a stiff.

McGahee is da man.

TypicalBill
12-26-2002, 10:40 AM
i would love for the bills to grab him and use him on passing situations, he would be a kabeer gbaja biamila of last year(because this year he's a starter on all downs)

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 10:42 AM
McGahee may turn out to be the stiff of this group, many scouts are dropping him down because he lacks sure break away speed and isnt as durable as the scouts want him. Larry Johnson has gone nowhere but up on everybody's draft boards. I dont see how you cant like him, he a faster Travis Henry.

TypicalBill
12-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Mark my words, Larry Johnson will turn out to be a stiff.

McGahee is da man.

i agree, he could turn out to be another Antowain Smith but i could be wrong.

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Johnson did nothing against the better Big Ten teams. He got all his stats against the crappy teams.

Can you say Curtis Enis?

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Who did have big games against Big Ten teams? I think even Maurice Clarett struggled with several of them.

HenryRules
12-26-2002, 10:56 AM
If I were a GM, I'd take McGahee because he's already shown similar rushing ability to the others (its nitpicking between the top 5 IMO), but because he's only had the one year starting, he really hasn't taken too many hits at all and should be able to give an extra couple of years compared to the others on the list ... although I guess with FA and all, that's somewhat irrelevant, but still the way I evaluate.

shelby
12-26-2002, 10:58 AM
Nice job Winfield...i am draft ignorant, so threads like this help a lot.

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 10:59 AM
Johnson

9/28 Iowa Loss 42-35 (OT) 18 for 68
10/5@Wisconsin Win 34-31 14 for 111
10/12 @Michigan Loss 27-24 (OT) 17 for 78
10/26 @Ohio St Loss 13-7 16 for 66

Clarett

OSU didn’t play Iowa
10/19 @Wisconsin Win 19-14 30 for 133
10/26 Penn State Win 13-7 4 for 39
11/23 Michigan Win 14-9 20 for 119

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Johnson 4 gms-323 yds.
Clarett 3gms-291 yds.

Take away Johnson worst game and the numbers are:
Johnson 3 gms-257 yds
Calrett 3 gms- 291 yds

Not a big diffrence there so I dont see how these stats prove anything

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 01:04 PM
Johnson did not get 100 vs. Iowa, Michigan and OSU. Many in the midwest did not put him on their Heisman ballots for this alone.

Clarett got over 100 vs. Michigan, and was still dinged up for the PSU game.

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 02:11 PM
Ok so your point is Maurice Clarett is better than Larry Johnson? Ok point well taken I conceed the argument to you, but there is no way for you to compare Larry Johnson and Willis McGahee, like you did with these two, and finally those stats are misleading since OSU and Clarett go lucky and didnt have to play Iowa.

JefftheBillsfan
12-26-2002, 02:15 PM
What ever happened to Dave Ragone. Also Mike Doss=bust

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 02:15 PM
I agree. You brought up Clarett. All I'm saying is that Johnson didn't have very good games against those 3 teams. And because of that, I question his ability to be a quality runner in the NFL. Big Ten power runners haven't had a lot of success in the NFL lately (Enis, Dayne, A Train, etc.).

I think McGahee is faster and more elusive and has a better chance.

JefftheBillsfan
12-26-2002, 02:17 PM
ill take McGahee over Johnson any day!!

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Ragone fell off everybody's radar this season with a mid grade season, he was near the top for everybody elses board at seasons beginning. He just had an avg. season.

DraftBoy
12-26-2002, 02:49 PM
I still say McGahee runs too upright, and that he doesnt have the breakaway speed, and EE Johnson is faster by far than most of those backs you listed as power runners in the Big 10 a big reason he didnt put up big numbers against them is that hes more elusive than power.

Earthquake Enyart
12-26-2002, 03:18 PM
You are right. They both might turn out to be busters. :lol:

But if I had to pick between the 2, I'd take McGehee.

I'd hate to be a team that needs a back this year.

Ingtar33
12-26-2002, 03:25 PM
After the scouting combine and or senior bowl Ragone will show back up on everyone’s radar, he has too much god given talent to fall farther than the late 1st round. Additionally it appears that Casey Clausen (only 50% sure he will) and Eli Manning (90% sure he will) are seriously considering entering the NFL draft early this year. Palmer should scare any NFL team who drafts him because he carries with him a rep as being one of the dumbest guys on the team... he was a heavily touted HS QB, has a rocket arm and struggled for 4 years because he could even read a simple defensive front. This year he seemed to catch on, but his O was also heavily simplified to help him along. Palmer might be a good pro, but you might have to wait 4 or 5 years for him to adjust to the pro game.

If people think McGahee is too slow, then they haven't watched Johnson who looks like a slower (if you can believe it) A.Smith, while aproaching the line (I'm sure his 40 time is good, he just takes forever to get to the line).

JefftheBillsfan
12-26-2002, 08:20 PM
I dont think McGahee will drop past the Cowboys. As far as Ragone, I agree w/Ingtar. From a talent stand point he might have as much as any other QB of this class.

HenryRules
12-26-2002, 09:11 PM
The Cowboys have Hambrick so I doubt they'll take McGahee ... they'll probably look for a receiver or OL I think.

What's the approximate draft position for the various OLB's? I know TypicalBill said there's a chance that we may have our pick of the OLB's by the time our name is called ... is this really true? I liked D.J. Williams (the 'Canes are my favourite college team) and I really liked him, so if there's better than him available, I'd love to see it. I'd also like to see what DT's fall to us, but after grabbing DL's the past couple of years in the second round, maybe its time to stop.

DraftBoy
12-27-2002, 04:15 PM
The OLB class is a very deep but yet very small (in size) class. the top two: DJ Williams, and Boss Bailey (i would absolutely love to have either) are quietly staying in the very low 1st round to mid 2nd round range so I would guess that we would be able to nab one of them. The rest of the class looks late 2nd-7th round material. These two though are absolute monsters in pass rush, run stuffing, coverage, and ST. They could easily replace Mr. Robinson.

DraftBoy
12-27-2002, 04:16 PM
The Cowboys will not take McGahee, Hambrick is there guy for now. They'll take a later round RB. Look for Philly to nab either McGahee or Johnson depending on which is available.

4thAndLong
12-27-2002, 05:50 PM
Philly has Levens, Staley and Westbrook. I couldn't see them taking a RB in the first round.

4thAndLong
12-27-2002, 05:51 PM
And Buckhalter coming back from injury.

mybills
12-27-2002, 09:05 PM
There's a Charles Rogers? What are the odds? LOL

BADTHINGSMAN
12-28-2002, 02:42 AM
Since the Bungles have locked up the #1 pick they probably will take WR Charles Rodgers #1 They have a decent QB a running game. Texans will get Mgahee or Johnson.

The Bills should draft Suggs if he is there in the 2nd round. Then go after Colvin.

The Bills dont need a CB, Watson should be gone. Kevin Thomas made the plays. Should start at nickel next season.

Ok now for Maurice Clarrett. Great running back. Yes thats what I said. If he was healthy all season he possibly coulda been a Hiesman Canidate. He wouldnt have won though. Has 2 years of college if he stays senior year. If he stays Senior year and is healthy. He could be the Hiesman Winner. Clarrett great if enters draft next year. Best served after senior year.

Butch
12-28-2002, 10:38 AM
Jason Gessar will probably be drafted on day 2 and so will Brad Banks. Gessar has a weak arm and is always injured Dorsey might fall to day 2 also. Simms, Ragone, and Boller should be in the top 5 over those guys. And if you were counting underclassman, Manning and Grossman should be ahead or Gessar and Banks also.

Willis McGahee is the top back in the draft, much faster than Larry Johnson.

Terrell Suggs is the top DE in the draft.

iceblizzard69
12-28-2002, 07:39 PM
You have got Dorsey WAY too high. Wheres Ragone? He may have struggled in college, but he is basically a lock to be drafted in the first round. He is considered to be the third best QB for the NFL behind Palmer and Leftwich.

iceblizzard69
12-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Butch
Jason Gessar will probably be drafted on day 2 and so will Brad Banks. Gessar has a weak arm and is always injured Dorsey might fall to day 2 also. Simms, Ragone, and Boller should be in the top 5 over those guys. And if you were counting underclassman, Manning and Grossman should be ahead or Gessar and Banks also.

Willis McGahee is the top back in the draft, much faster than Larry Johnson.

Terrell Suggs is the top DE in the draft.

You are right about the QBs, but I think Banks may sneak into the first day. He would be a lock for the first day if he had played before this season. He has a pretty good arm, its the lack of experience which hurts him (starting for only one year). Leftwich, Ragone and Palmer are all first rounders, and Manning will be a first rounder if he declares as well.

iceblizzard69
12-28-2002, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by silent_one
Since the Bungles have locked up the #1 pick they probably will take WR Charles Rodgers #1 They have a decent QB a running game. Texans will get Mgahee or Johnson.

The Bengals will trade down and draft a DT. The Lions will take Charles Rogers with the second pick, and the Texans could do many different things with their pick.

Tatonka
12-28-2002, 07:54 PM
MARK MY WORDS!!!! Suggs is a CLONE of Flowers..

why in gods name would you want another tweener.. we already failed on Corey Moore and Eric Flowers.. they were too small to play in the NFL at DE.

Suggs is the same way.. he dominates the so-so competition he plays against at Arizona St., but put him against the big LT in the nfl and he will get swallowed.. i really dont want him.. REALLY dont want him..

i would LOVE boss bailey.. he is a pure playmaker... a difference maker that could be huge for us... idealy, we sign colvin or spikes (who has finally made pulic comments that he is absolutely sick of Cincy, which may keep them from fanchising him) and we draft Bailey to take Newmans place. i do like newman, and wouldnt mind keeping him as well, to let Boss work his way in..

also.. i really like Banks.. i hope we grab him as a back up qb to learn under drew. i think the kid could be special.. if any of you watched Iowa a lot this year (i know most of you didnt) he really was the difference maker on the team.. watch them in their upcoming bowl game.. should be one of the best of the bowl season , iowa against USC.

i would prefer we get a D tackle from FA, and dont have any opinion on the guys available in the draft, past those that will be long gone by our pick.

opinions of my opinions?

SoCalBillsFan
12-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
Palmer should scare any NFL team who drafts him because he carries with him a rep as being one of the dumbest guys on the team... he was a heavily touted HS QB, has a rocket arm and struggled for 4 years because he could even read a simple defensive front. This year he seemed to catch on, but his O was also heavily simplified to help him along. Palmer might be a good pro, but you might have to wait 4 or 5 years for him to adjust to the pro game.

Dead on Ingtar, Palmer took way to long to catch on in college. and I've met the guy, he's dumb as nails. Still his physical tools abd reat season will get him drafted in the first round.

Originally posted by Butch

Gesser is definately a Day 2 pick. Very small, not that strong of an arm. I dont see him going until at least the 4th

DraftBoy
12-28-2002, 10:39 PM
McGahee vs. Johnson- Im done arguing my points of it as the only argument you have to say is that McGahee is faster than Johnson. So what? who gained more yards? Its a mute point.

Philly has Levens (believe he signed a 1 year deal), Staley didnt bounce back at all and the fans are unhappy at him, Buckhalter isnt sure to even be back by training camp next season. Westbrook is an untested rookie although I do like him. I would see Philly dealing Staley to get some more picks. Then drafting a RB to start. Maybe im reaching for it but the word from Philly is that they need a consistent ground game to cover McNabb's butt.

I believe I had already stated that unless Suggs beafs up hes a Corey Moore clone and both the Bills and the Phins know what hes all about. I still dont see how you put a guy who makes sacks against the pac-10 as the top DE in the country. When DE entails both pass rush and run support, something suggs knows little about. Tatonka I agree completely with you on this point.

Bengals would love to trade down, but cant seem to find anyone willing to trade up. If they cant make the move down, they'll take William Joseph DT #1.

Gesser is a day 2 boy. Banks is goona go round 3, if he slips to round 4 hes a steal. Ragone looks to be headed into round 2, not round 1 after an avg. season where he didnt wow anybody hes gonna need a nice senior bowl to make up for it. Boller is a early day 2 canidate since he plays at Cal they are gonna think his numbers may be slightly inflated plus hes been erratic. Dorsey was one of the most consistent QB's in the league this past year which is way more than I can say for Mr. Ragone who had one good game against a very crappy FSU team.

Butch
12-28-2002, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Winfield_26
McGahee vs. Johnson- Im done arguing my points of it as the only argument you have to say is that McGahee is faster than Johnson. So what? who gained more yards? Its a mute point.

Philly has Levens (believe he signed a 1 year deal), Staley didnt bounce back at all and the fans are unhappy at him, Buckhalter isnt sure to even be back by training camp next season. Westbrook is an untested rookie although I do like him. I would see Philly dealing Staley to get some more picks. Then drafting a RB to start. Maybe im reaching for it but the word from Philly is that they need a consistent ground game to cover McNabb's butt.

I believe I had already stated that unless Suggs beafs up hes a Corey Moore clone and both the Bills and the Phins know what hes all about. I still dont see how you put a guy who makes sacks against the pac-10 as the top DE in the country. When DE entails both pass rush and run support, something suggs knows little about. Tatonka I agree completely with you on this point.

Bengals would love to trade down, but cant seem to find anyone willing to trade up. If they cant make the move down, they'll take William Joseph DT #1.

Gesser is a day 2 boy. Banks is goona go round 3, if he slips to round 4 hes a steal. Ragone looks to be headed into round 2, not round 1 after an avg. season where he didnt wow anybody hes gonna need a nice senior bowl to make up for it. Boller is a early day 2 canidate since he plays at Cal they are gonna think his numbers may be slightly inflated plus hes been erratic. Dorsey was one of the most consistent QB's in the league this past year which is way more than I can say for Mr. Ragone who had one good game against a very crappy FSU team.

Why is the point with Johnson mute, because he gained more yards? If you say so...

Suggs is not a Corey Moore clone, Suggs is taller and much heavier than Corey Moore. It is not a fair comparison at all.

DraftBoy
12-28-2002, 11:33 PM
Suggs has the same exact game as Corey Moore and Erik Flowers, pass rush specialtist who has played against smallish LT his whole college career.

The Johnson point is mute because in no way can you accurately compare Willis McGahee and Larry Johnson. A point made is McGahee is faster, yea well Johnson gained more yards. You could then say well McGahee gained more from scrimmage and that Johnson broke more tackles, see how I say the point is mute now?

Butch
12-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Suggs has the same exact game as Corey Moore and Erik Flowers, pass rush specialtist who has played against smallish LT his whole college career.

The Johnson point is mute because in no way can you accurately compare Willis McGahee and Larry Johnson. A point made is McGahee is faster, yea well Johnson gained more yards. You could then say well McGahee gained more from scrimmage and that Johnson broke more tackles, see how I say the point is mute now?

Suggs also has the same exact game as Dwight Freeney, Jevon Kearse and Andre Carter did in college. Suggs has not played against "smallish LT his whole career". If he has, list the names and playing weight of the LTs he has gone up against. If you are going to compare Suggs to anyone, it should be Dwight Freeney.

SoCalBillsFan
12-29-2002, 02:45 AM

Dorsey was one of the most consistent QB's in the league this past year which is way more than I can say for Mr. Ragone who had one good game against a very crappy FSU team.

Unfortunately for dorsey this doesn't matter. If consistency mattered then guys like gesser would go on day one, or a guy like charlie ward would have been drafted. The fact is physical tools are more tempting to scouts and GMs. Yes, consistency is important, but if the front office is confident they can teach a guy, they will take the tools any day. That's why there are so many busts. If Ragone has a good combine and good workouts, he'll go before dorsey.

Butch
12-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

Unfortunately for dorsey this doesn't matter. If consistency mattered then guys like gesser would go on day one, or a guy like charlie ward would have been drafted. The fact is physical tools are more tempting to scouts and GMs. Yes, consistency is important, but if the front office is confident they can teach a guy, they will take the tools any day. That's why there are so many busts. If Ragone has a good combine and good workouts, he'll go before dorsey.

You are right about that, depending on how many underclassman QBs come out, Dorsey might be the 6th or 7th QB off the board. Gessar will probably be a 6th or 7th rounder.

DraftBoy
12-29-2002, 06:48 PM
I agree that Dorsey is a worse QB than Ragone but at the moment Dorsey is rated above Ragone on many boards, due to the fact that both already have good tools but one lacks consistency (Ragone). I agree that with a good Senior Bowl he should move up. His Bowl Game performance of like 142 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT looked very bad against a woeful Marshall secondary.

HenryRules
12-29-2002, 09:17 PM
Dorsey's gonna be a day 2 pick, but IMO he'll be a steal. Given a couple of years with a good trainer, he could easily pack 20 pounds of muscle on his wirey body (6'5 and 200 right now) and think of the increased arm strength that would cause. He's already shown solid leadership and poise over the last 3 seasons, so I can't think of a better value in the midrounds. If he's available for us in the 4th round, I'd say take him.