• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Mike Harmons AFC East Fantasy Outlook

Buffalo Bills (2004 Stats: Rushing: 13th at 117.1 YPG, Passing: 27th at 189.5 YPG)
    It's a new world order in Buffalo. Drew Bledsoe is gone, replaced by second-year QB J.P. Losman. Willis McGahee ascended to the feature back role midway through the '04 season and didn't look back. For all the changes and additions to the offensive firepower, the Bills didn't tinker with the success on defense. They'll return 10 starters to the defense that ranked second against the run and first in sacks a season ago. The loss of Pat Williams causes some concern, but the Bills believe that their two-man rotation of Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson should be able to pick up the slack.

Running Game
    The Bills lost both starters on the left side of the line, which is cause for some concern. Willis McGahee is the hottest thing on the fantasy circuit right now, with expectations sky-high for a monster year. Travis Henry remains on the roster in a backup role right now (see below). After that, the talent takes a hit with Daimon Shelton and Joe Burns next in line.

Passing Game
    J.P. Losman takes the reins in Buffalo and will have plenty of help in the receiving corp. Eric Moulds and Lee Evans are returning stars, and the team feels very good about their selection of Roscoe Parrish in this year's draft. Mark Campbell and Tim Euhus are two tight ends to watch as the season approaches if you don't acquire one of the top-tier players at the position. Tom Clements is confident that Losman has the makeup to be a star right away and will put him in the position to make plays. Fantasy Power List

Willis McGahee (First Round): McGahee's brilliance in the second half of '04 has him vaulting fantasy favorites such as Shaun Alexander and Priest Holmes into the second draft slot. He scored 13 touchdowns and racked up 1,058 yards in just 11 starts last year. Reports have him working out like a madman this offseason in his quest to join the game's elite class.
    Eric Moulds (Sixth Round): Moulds still earned his fourth 1,000-yard season in 2004 and racked up 88 receptions. However, his big performances occurred in the first half of the campaign. Moulds scored four of his five touchdowns in the first half of the season and recorded three of his four 90+ receiving yard performances during the early part of the campaign. With the early selection, owners are banking that first-year starter J.P. Losman will help the Bills eclipse their 25th-place ranking in total offense of last year.
    Lee Evans (Eighth Round): The speedy second-year receiver from Wisconsin finally got a chance to shine in the second half. He showed big play capability early on, and became a fixture in the offense from Week 9 forward. Evans caught seven touchdowns over a five-week period down the stretch, including four touchdowns in the fantasy playoffs (Weeks 14-16). Here's your scary stat for Evans' 2004 season. He had a catch of 30 or more yards in eight different games!
  • J.P. Losman (12th Round): We already know that Losman will be more mobile than the statuesque Bledsoe. Now, we just need to see how effectively he can manage the Bills offense. He's got a strong supporting cast, so he should be able to enter a situation akin to Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh a year ago. Although, fantasy owners and I are counting on him to toss it long more than Big Ben last year. Wild Card
    Travis Henry: He's still on the roster for now. There are several suitors still on the board, with the Seahawks now joining the mix with fears that Shaun Alexander will sit home with the PlayStation. Henry is being forgotten in fantasy drafts right now, but should be included in your plans. At worst, he stays in Buffalo as insurance for McGahee. At best, you're stealing a starter in the late rounds if he gets dealt.
    Roscoe Parrish: Parrish has been impressive in mini-camps and will look to wrestle the No. 3 receiver role from Jose Reed and up and coming Sam Aiken and Jonathan Smith. He'll offer a second burner option with Lee Evans and will help spread the field to let McGahee run wild. He's going to give Losman another home run threat.
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
"Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
It was all
true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Working...
X