PDA

View Full Version : Official & Unbiased Assessment of the NFC in 05'

Philisophical Troll
07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Here's an official and unbiased assessment of the NFC Conference courtesy of a Philisophical Troll......

Teams That Got Better:

Cowboys: Ok I'll get this out of the way first obviously. No question this team should be a serious contender in the NFC with the offseason they had. Yes I've clamored over Drew Bledsoe, but that is only one piece to the puzzle. Critics and analysts agree we had the best draft with 2 first round picks in Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears. We also added former Parcells players like Ferguson and Glenn to the mix. Anthony Henry and Izell Reese were solid additions to the secondary as well. Offensively we added another probowl lineman in Rivera and Anthony Thomas will be an excellent compliment to Julius Jones. Jason Witten is entering his prime, and Keyshawn and Glenn should be solid. Expect BIG things from this team this year.

Vikings: The additions of Fat Pat Williams, Napoleon Harris and Fred Smoot should improve this defense significantly. A lot of critics question if Culpepper will be any good without Moss though. Even if the offense drops off a little, the defensive additions will compensate for that. But if the offense plays well this will be a very dangerous team.

Cardinals: I've never been a Cardinal fan, but this team may have had the 2nd best offseason behind the Cowboys. I love the addition of Kurt Warner, he is another frustrated and motivated veteran like Bledsoe with plenty left in the tank to be effective. A lot of people wondered why this team didn't acquire Travis Henry, but JJ Arrington should answer that question. Denny Green should have this team playing good football, and if all the pieces come together in a weak NFC West division look out.....

Bears: I love the pick ups of Muhammed in free agency, and the drafting of Cedric Benson. Chicago fans have already began comparing this guy to legendary RB Walter Payton. If Rex Grossman bounces back from last seasons injury and the defense plays well Lovie Smith might have this team thinking wildcard.

Carolina: The fact that this team is healthy entering this 05' campaign is an improvement enough over last season disappointment. John Fox is one of the best young coaches in the game. This team has the best defensive line and a solid running game. Expect this team to regain thier 03' form if they stay healthy.

Teams That Got Worse:

Redskins: Not to sound biased, but Daniel Snyder is one pathetic owner if I've ever seen one. Not only does he have zero knowledge of the game of football, but he lets his ego get in the way when it comes to personnell decisions (He's very similar to a few other GM's around the league I know of). He has wasted millions and millions on over the hill free agents and drafted poorly year after year. Add to the fact they have to play the eagles and cowboys twice and it's going to be another long season in the nations capital.

Packers: Favre is finished and they didn't address the horrible defense either. The end of an era is imminent in the frozen tundra. They very well could finish dead last in the division for the first time in years.

Seahawks: They won a horrible division by default last year, but I don't see this team going anywhere this season especially if they lose Alexander. Koren Robinson has been a bust and Matt Hasslebach is one of the most overrated QB's in the game. They play a much more difficult schedule this year as well.

Lions: Harrington is yet another first round QB on a long list that has not lived up to the hype. A lot of people think this team will be good this year because they sport a trio of first round picks in thier recieving corps, but I suspect that will be more of a detriment than a positive. The heat is on Mariuchi this year to produce as well.

Status Quo Teams:

Giants: Burress was a solid pick-up if he stays healthy. But I can't see this team making much noise with the Cowboys and Eagles battling out ahead of them. The defense doesn't impress either, Shockey is overrated and Manning will struggle.

Eagles: The TO situation really determines this teams fate. Andy Reid thinks they will be fine without him, but that's not reality. This team has been rock solid for the last 5 years but don't expect a fifth straight NFC Championship trip this year. It's going to be extremely difficult for this team to have success this year competing against juggernauts the likes of Carolina, Dallas and Minnesota. But I give them respect and you'll likely see them in the wild card round.

Rams: If this team was in the AFC they'd be no better than the 9th or 10th best team. So it's pretty amazing they made it all the way to the 2nd round last year in the playoffs with an 8-8 record. However this year don't expect the same results. Faulk is about finished and the greatest show on turf is a shell of it's former self.

49ers: Alex Smith is the future, and Jennings was a solid albeit a bit overpriced free agent pick-up. The 49ers should improve marginally, but considering their record last year that is not saying much is it. Could upset a few teams this year though, especially in the weaker NFC Conference.

Falcons: Mike Vick still has to prove he can pass the football for this team to be taken seriously. Peerless Price was a disappointment and should have stayed in Buffalo when Drew Bledsoe was there. The defense is rock solid, but I don't see this team winning the the division again, expect a wild card spot.

Tampa Bay: John Gruden has clearly been exposed as a mediorce coach. In his first year he took this team to a world title, but has done nothing since. Theres a reason Ronnie Brown was taken before Carnell Williams, despite being his back up in college. In any event can't expect too much from this squad this season.

New Orleans: This team is very sporadic by nature. One day they look like a superbowl contender, the next they look like the classic New Orlean Saints teams of years past: bumbling, turnover prone and ineffective. Aaron Brooks is hard to figure out as well. The pressure is on Haslett, who led this team to the playoffs in his first year, but has stumbled since. I expect another mediorce season especially with Atlanta and Carolina being the class of this division.

Gunzlingr
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
The Vikes don't realize how much they needed moss. Robinson, Burleson, and Williamson aren't as good combined. Burleson while decent is going to get tagteamed. Their D looks good, but we will see.

Crisis
07-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Izelle Reese and Bledsoe solid? Reese flat-out average and Bledsoe flat-out sucks.

Michael82
07-14-2005, 07:42 PM
Izelle Reese and Bledsoe solid? Reese flat-out average and Bledsoe flat-out sucks.
Agreed. If he thinks that Reese and Bledsoe will be that good, then :lmao:

Nighthawk
07-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Here's an official and unbiased assessment of the NFC Conference courtesy of a Philisophical Troll......

Teams That Got Better:

Cowboys: Ok I'll get this out of the way first obviously. No question this team should be a serious contender in the NFC with the offseason they had. Yes I've clamored over Drew Bledsoe, but that is only one piece to the puzzle. Critics and analysts agree we had the best draft with 2 first round picks in Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears. We also added former Parcells players like Ferguson and Glenn to the mix. Anthony Henry and Izell Reese were solid additions to the secondary as well. Offensively we added another probowl lineman in Rivera and Anthony Thomas will be an excellent compliment to Julius Jones. Jason Witten is entering his prime, and Keyshawn and Glenn should be solid. Expect BIG things from this team this year.

Vikings: The additions of Fat Pat Williams, Napoleon Harris and Fred Smoot should improve this defense significantly. A lot of critics question if Culpepper will be any good without Moss though. Even if the offense drops off a little, the defensive additions will compensate for that. But if the offense plays well this will be a very dangerous team.

Cardinals: I've never been a Cardinal fan, but this team may have had the 2nd best offseason behind the Cowboys. I love the addition of Kurt Warner, he is another frustrated and motivated veteran like Bledsoe with plenty left in the tank to be effective. A lot of people wondered why this team didn't acquire Travis Henry, but JJ Arrington should answer that question. Denny Green should have this team playing good football, and if all the pieces come together in a weak NFC West division look out.....

Bears: I love the pick ups of Muhammed in free agency, and the drafting of Cedric Benson. Chicago fans have already began comparing this guy to legendary RB Walter Payton. If Rex Grossman bounces back from last seasons injury and the defense plays well Lovie Smith might have this team thinking wildcard.

Carolina: The fact that this team is healthy entering this 05' campaign is an improvement enough over last season disappointment. John Fox is one of the best young coaches in the game. This team has the best defensive line and a solid running game. Expect this team to regain thier 03' form if they stay healthy.

Teams That Got Worse:

Redskins: Not to sound biased, but Daniel Snyder is one pathetic owner if I've ever seen one. Not only does he have zero knowledge of the game of football, but he lets his ego get in the way when it comes to personnell decisions (He's very similar to a few other GM's around the league I know of). He has wasted millions and millions on over the hill free agents and drafted poorly year after year. Add to the fact they have to play the eagles and cowboys twice and it's going to be another long season in the nations capital.

Packers: Favre is finished and they didn't address the horrible defense either. The end of an era is imminent in the frozen tundra. They very well could finish dead last in the division for the first time in years.

Seahawks: They won a horrible division by default last year, but I don't see this team going anywhere this season especially if they lose Alexander. Koren Robinson has been a bust and Matt Hasslebach is one of the most overrated QB's in the game. They play a much more difficult schedule this year as well.

Lions: Harrington is yet another first round QB on a long list that has not lived up to the hype. A lot of people think this team will be good this year because they sport a trio of first round picks in thier recieving corps, but I suspect that will be more of a detriment than a positive. The heat is on Mariuchi this year to produce as well.

Status Quo Teams:

Giants: Burress was a solid pick-up if he stays healthy. But I can't see this team making much noise with the Cowboys and Eagles battling out ahead of them. The defense doesn't impress either, Shockey is overrated and Manning will struggle.

Eagles: The TO situation really determines this teams fate. Andy Reid thinks they will be fine without him, but that's not reality. This team has been rock solid for the last 5 years but don't expect a fifth straight NFC Championship trip this year. It's going to be extremely difficult for this team to have success this year competing against juggernauts the likes of Carolina, Dallas and Minnesota. But I give them respect and you'll likely see them in the wild card round.

Rams: If this team was in the AFC they'd be no better than the 9th or 10th best team. So it's pretty amazing they made it all the way to the 2nd round last year in the playoffs with an 8-8 record. However this year don't expect the same results. Faulk is about finished and the greatest show on turf is a shell of it's former self.

49ers: Alex Smith is the future, and Jennings was a solid albeit a bit overpriced free agent pick-up. The 49ers should improve marginally, but considering their record last year that is not saying much is it. Could upset a few teams this year though, especially in the weaker NFC Conference.

Falcons: Mike Vick still has to prove he can pass the football for this team to be taken seriously. Peerless Price was a disappointment and should have stayed in Buffalo when Drew Bledsoe was there. The defense is rock solid, but I don't see this team winning the the division again, expect a wild card spot.

Tampa Bay: John Gruden has clearly been exposed as a mediorce coach. In his first year he took this team to a world title, but has done nothing since. Theres a reason Ronnie Brown was taken before Carnell Williams, despite being his back up in college. In any event can't expect too much from this squad this season.

New Orleans: This team is very sporadic by nature. One day they look like a superbowl contender, the next they look like the classic New Orlean Saints teams of years past: bumbling, turnover prone and ineffective. Aaron Brooks is hard to figure out as well. The pressure is on Haslett, who led this team to the playoffs in his first year, but has stumbled since. I expect another mediorce season especially with Atlanta and Carolina being the class of this division.

Yet again, more garbage from the 10 year old.

STAMPY
07-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Vikings are way better than dallas

the dude
07-14-2005, 08:18 PM
This is the first post our resident dictionary-challenged Mensa troll has made that shows a wee bit of thinking. However, if the Bills played against the dregs of the NFC, we'd move from a possible playoff contender to conference championship contender - mind you, that's with a 2nd year QB who hasn't started a game. We'd have arguably the top defense, the top special teams, and an average offense in a weak conference. Can you imagine our D teeing off on Bledsoe? I can see Spikes salivating at the idea.

If Parcells didn't feel the pressure of "winning now" after a miserable '04 campaign, he'd try to groom a young QB instead. I do think Dallas got better - they should approach .500 this year if Bledsoe stays upright - just remember though, Drew's a younger, slower version of the QB they had last year. The Bills coaching staff reined Drew in so that they could win despite his flaws and a 55% completion percentage and the 27th rated passing attack. The problem with Dallas now is that their QB is suited for vertical strikes but their OL is just a shadow of their former self - even with a damaged Rivera. And they really don't have the quality wideouts to exploit defenses deep in any case. If they dink and dunk like Drew will have to with Johnson and an aging Glenn, I can't see their offense improving very much if at all. I like who they drafted on defense given their transition to the 3-4 but I figure it'll take their good young nucleus a couple years to adapt to the new schemes.

Dallas might stay in the playoff race simply because of the competition they face but realistically, this team is a couple years - and a good QB - out of contention.

HHURRICANE
07-14-2005, 09:47 PM
There is no doubt that Dallas improved their defense. However, I think the fans in Dallas are in for a big disppointment when they get to watch Bledsoe play. I was pumped when I heard we were getting Bledsoe in Buffalo and all my friends in New England basically said "don't be so optimistic". He can't throw a 5 yard pass and he is brutal in the pocket. Good luck.

STAMPY
07-14-2005, 09:49 PM
There is no doubt that Dallas improved their defense. However, I think the fans in Dallas are in for a big disppointment when they get to watch Bledsoe play. I was pumped when I heard we were getting Bledsoe in Buffalo and all my friends in New England basically said "don't be so optimistic". He can't throw a 5 yard pass and he is brutal in the pocket. Good luck.

drew is still an upgrade to henson and vinny. a slight 1

JefftheBillsfan
07-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I think Drew could have a decent year this year. The only concern that I would have for him is the 2 distinctly different receiving groups he has between buffalo and dallas.

Keyshawn can't consistently get deep, and thats all DB can throw. Glenn is Glenn, but certainly no Moulds/Price/Evans. He will have a solid TE again, which he seemed to really use in Ben Coates in NE.

But for some reason, I expect relatively good things from Drew back with the Tuna, and I do think Dallas is a playoff team this year.

Some of that other comentary though, really raises an eye brow however. How do teams like the 49ers, Lions, and Giants get worse? If you want to say that they didn't get considerably better, ok, but worse?

Philisophical Troll
07-15-2005, 12:32 AM
I think Drew could have a decent year this year. The only concern that I would have for him is the 2 distinctly different receiving groups he has between buffalo and dallas.

Keyshawn can't consistently get deep, and thats all DB can throw. Glenn is Glenn, but certainly no Moulds/Price/Evans. He will have a solid TE again, which he seemed to really use in Ben Coates in NE.

But for some reason, I expect relatively good things from Drew back with the Tuna, and I do think Dallas is a playoff team this year.

Some of that other comentary though, really raises an eye brow however. How do teams like the 49ers, Lions, and Giants get worse? If you want to say that they didn't get considerably better, ok, but worse?
????? Where did I say the Giants and 49ers got worse??? I clearly said I feel they are about the same as last year. They are both rebuilding and will be more competitive, but I doubt their win totals will improve. I did say the Lions got worse simply because Harrington is another bust on a long list of hot shot college prospects that have done diddly squat in this league. When you have to draft receivers 3 consecutive years with top 10 picks in the first round something is wrong. Mariucci is also a joke IMO, so I fully expect them to implode.

Yasgur's Farm
07-15-2005, 06:16 AM
????? Where did I say the Giants and 49ers got worse???LMFAO

Teams That Got Worse:

Status Quo Teams:

New Orleans: This team is very sporadic by nature. One day they look like a superbowl contender, the next they look like the classic New Orlean Saints teams of years past: bumbling, turnover prone and ineffective. Aaron Brooks is hard to figure out as well. The pressure is on Haslett, who led this team to the playoffs in his first year, but has stumbled since. I expect another mediorce season especially with Atlanta and Carolina being the class of this division.We got a regular freakin genius here!

Bill Brasky
07-15-2005, 06:28 AM
Official and unbiased assessment of you:

you know nothing about football.

Earthquake Enyart
07-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Pretty easy to bash. Put down your own thoughts, then.

I pretty much agree with the teams that got better except for Carolina. Losing Muhammad is gonna hurt them.

I think the Lions might turn the corner this year, if they can get Harrington going (a big if). But, they say that the WCO takes a while to learn...

AndreReed83
07-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I think Dallas vastly over-paid for Anthony Henry. He won't be able to come close to producing the stats that should come with that sort of salary.

Philisophical Troll
07-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I think Dallas vastly over-paid for Anthony Henry. He won't be able to come close to producing the stats that should come with that sort of salary.
Henry will be solid in Parcells system. Don't forget about Aaron Glenn, Terrance Newman and Roy Williams either. Plus your former 'trash' Reese should provide depth and be a solid special teams player like he was in buffalo.

thebuffalobills4
07-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Official and unbiased assessment of you:

you know nothing about football.
your right.

thebuffalobills4
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
jerry jones over pays every one in that organazation.and thats true of what you said,players get greedy and don't care about the game.

Philisophical Troll
07-15-2005, 02:41 PM
jerry jones over pays every one in that organazation.and thats true of what you said,players get greedy and don't care about the game.No correction, Tom Donahoe gets stupid and don't care about the game or this once great Bills franchise.

FlyingDutchman
07-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Got news for ya troll....every time we got beat deep....it was against Izell Reese....hence trash....Enjoy!

Bill Brasky
07-15-2005, 02:53 PM
jerry jones over pays every one in that organazation.and thats true of what you said,players get greedy and don't care about the game.
which is why there should be revenue sharing. otherwise the NFL is gonna turn into major league baseball, with 4 or 5 teams spending assloads of money and the rest of the league left to fend for themselves.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-15-2005, 03:02 PM
No correction, Tom Donahoe gets stupid and don't care about the game or this once great Bills franchise.

Not a bad analysis of the NFC. Of course you are biased in your view of Dallas, but I agree they should contend. I think you need to give the Eagles more respect, but I know how that is when the team that has ruled your division for years shows any weakness...you smell blood (see Pats of recent years vs. Bills Fans like me).

But what really gets me is the above statement....what does that mean and where are you coming from with that?

Bill Brasky
07-15-2005, 03:07 PM
But what really gets me is the above statement....what does that mean and where are you coming from with that?
I have a pretty good idea where that comment came from... use your imagination.

McGahee420
07-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I think Jerry Jones and Jimmie Johnson share a bed together.

:makeout:

Bunch of steers and queers in texas.

GO BILLS!