PDA

View Full Version : Rosevelt Colvin ?

justasportsfan
12-26-2002, 03:28 PM
Rochester D&C reports:

" The name being most prominently mentioned (ESPN, The Buffalo News) as the Buffalo Bills' prime target this off season's NFL free agent market is 25 yr. old Rosevelt Colvin of the Chicago bears. He is solid against the run, but his specialty is rushing the passer and he often lines up as a defensive end on passing downs."

" In 2001 , Colvin had 10.5 sacks to become Chicago's first double digit sack linebacker since Otis Wilson 1985. He has 10.5 sacks again this season with one game remaining."

Thoughts? I really don't pay attention when it comes to Duh Bears.

Ingtar33
12-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Colvin sacked Drew 2 or 3 times when we played early in the season... he is a fast backer, and one of the FA I highlighted as one of the Bills must haves this off season...

justasportsfan
12-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Oops! my bad why can't I delete this post?

BambinoSux
12-27-2002, 08:25 PM
The more I hear about Roosevelt Colvin, the more he reminds me of Bryce Paup.

venis2k1
12-27-2002, 08:28 PM
he is great...but we still NEED a DT.

Typ0
12-27-2002, 10:05 PM
This sounds like it might be good. What is the money bracket for this guy?

clumping platelets
12-28-2002, 12:10 AM
The FA market as it stands now: SUX!

Hopefully, cap casualties bolster the available talent

JefftheBillsfan
12-28-2002, 11:25 AM
We need a WLB a lot more than a SLB. I dont want to watch old man eddy stumble around out there again next year. So unless they move Newman to WLB, we need to upgrade that position first. In all honesty, can anyone else imagine Colvin. He has great pass rushing skills. Right now we have a SLB with pretty good pass rush skills that we neglect to use. I think if Colvin came here he wouldnt have a great year if he plays the same role as Newman did last year.

The_Philster
12-28-2002, 11:44 AM
I think we could greatly benefit if we did get Colvin and switch Newman to WLB.

colin
12-28-2002, 04:16 PM
Colvin should get about 5-6 mil. Porter and Gildon kinda set the standard last year, only brooks seems to be the LB worth Mould money, but some a hole GM might over pay.

HenryRules
12-28-2002, 06:44 PM
I don't think Colvin would have the same sack-reduction problem as Newman. Colvin gets a lot of his sacks lining up as a lineman on passing downs. As neither of our DE's really get a lot of pressure on the QB, we could easily use Colvin in that sort of role.
It'll be interesting to see what price he goes for ... LB is somewhat deep at FA this year already and if there's any cuts at that position in the offseason, he (or one of the other LBs) may find trouble getting big offers. That said, with Colvin being one of the few playmakers available, he'll probably end up getting top dollar.

Ingtar33
12-28-2002, 06:58 PM
The reason why he hit the "list" of FA I wanted the Bills to pick up is because he could fill the bill at either the SLB or WLB here... he has good coverage skills (far better than Newman), is faster than either of our OLBs, and has pass rushing instincts you can't coach. In Chicago their OLB play a role which is more akin to LS-RS than a strong/weak role, as a result Chicago's Holdman and Colvin play interchangeably SLB and WLB positions. The reason why Newman has had such problems with this defensive scheme is because his coverage skills are nearly non-existent, and he holds the point of attack (against the run) poorly. The market for Colvin should hover just below 3.5 mil/season (similar to Fletcher money), as the NFL has largely learned its lessen about overpaying for LBers, who on the whole are a dime a dozen and largely interchangeable. Personally, I think he'd be a better fit as a SLB in this scheme, however if the Bills have no plans for Spikes Colvin would be a better WLB than anyone we currently have on the roster.