• The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Re: Patriots re-sign Scott Pioli long-term

O-K

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

I figured he would have gone somewhere else to get the title and respect that he deserves. The Giants would have taken him next year if he wanted it.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
        Maybe?
        • Oct 2003

"All good things must come to an end."

IMO, it doesn't matter. They may have another run left, but ultimately it won't matter who is at the helm. Just look at history - they will fall just like every other successful team. Just a matter of time. And when it happens there will be much rejoicing.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical

IMO, it doesn't matter. They may have another run left, but ultimately it won't matter who is at the helm. Just look at history - they will fall just like every other successful team. Just a matter of time. And when it happens there will be much rejoicing.
          Agreed. 31 teams will be hoping that they are the ones to finally knock this ****ing team down. I pray that it's the Bills.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

SF had a pretty extensive run in the 1990's. Dallas had a long run after that. The Pats run has only been for 4 years.

I think the Pats will be among the league's better teams for as long as the Belichick-Pioli-Brady combination is in place. Everyone else is replaceable.

That said, I'd be surprised if the Pats won the Super Bowl this year. They will be a very good team again, but the fact is no team has ever won 3 straight SB. It takes a lot of factors going your way to win a SB, which is why no team has ever won 3 straight.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by NE39
              SF had a pretty extensive run in the 1990's. Dallas had a long run after that. The Pats run has only been for 4 years.

I think the Pats will be among the league's better teams for as long as the Belichick-Pioli-Brady combination is in place. Everyone else is replaceable.

That said, I'd be surprised if the Pats won the Super Bowl this year. They will be a very good team again, but the fact is no team has ever won 3 straight SB. It takes a lot of factors going your way to win a SB, which is why no team has ever won 3 straight.
              Since the introduction of FA'cy, only SF, Dallas and NE can be considered dynasties. Dallas made their run from 91-96, SF from 92-98, and NE 01-04 (and counting). In those spans Dallas won 3 SBs, SF won 1 and NE won 3. There's no reason to believe NE will be any different than those other two dynasties, so IMO I think the Pats have maybe 1-2 years max and then they will hit bottom just like Dallas and SF did.

Comment

• Bert102176
                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                Agreed. 31 teams will be hoping that they are the ones to finally knock this ****ing team down. I pray that it's the Bills.
                I totaly agree
                lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Since the introduction of FA'cy, only SF, Dallas and NE can be considered dynasties. Dallas made their run from 91-96, SF from 92-98, and NE 01-04 (and counting). In those spans Dallas won 3 SBs, SF won 1 and NE won 3. There's no reason to believe NE will be any different than those other two dynasties, so IMO I think the Pats have maybe 1-2 years max and then they will hit bottom just like Dallas and SF did.
                  However, there were reasons behind both SF and Dallas not keeping it together. SF was due to cap issues coming due. Dallas lost a key ingredient in Jimmy Johnson, and things fell apart.

The Pats have 3 key pieces in Belichick, Pioli and Brady. Those aren't going anywhere in the near future.

They have good long-term cap health because they set a value on each player, and aren't afraid to let them go if their compensation exceeds that value. That is why they have let guys go like Milloy, Woody, T. Washington, B. Hamilton, Joe Andruzzi, David Patten. They replaced them with younger and cheaper players.

I recognize the Pats aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, because there are too many factors that have to come together for that. In fact, they may never win another, for all I know. However, they will be in the mix for the next few years because they have all the pieces in place to be a good team during that time.

They have Belichick and Pioli to run things.

They have Brady as a QB.

They have a lot of talented young players and a bunch of veteran leaders.

It is hard to imagine any circumstance where there would be a fall-off into an also-ran in the near future, given those factors being in place.

Comment

• Philisophical Troll
                    Take my dating advice, it worked for me on my sister :up:
                    • Jul 2005

Scott Pioli is one of top personell men in the game today, if not the best. But what else can you expect from a world class organization like the Patriots. Bob Kraft clearly has shown his committment to win He's very similar to Jerry Jones in that he's an owner who doesn't let his ego make decisions that are detrimental to the success of his football team. Take a look at a guy like Dan Snyder, what a joke! He's ruined that great franchise in washington.

What is also ironic regarding Pioli, is that he must love Tom Donahoe. Especially since he's directly contributed to NE's dynasty. Think about it, he runs Antwoin Smith out of town and NE snatches him of waivers right away. He traded a first rounder for Drew Bledsoe, only to waste it by cutting him after 3 seasons. Also he signed Lawyer Malloy after he was booted so they could sign Rodney Harrison who is significantly better. Great job Tom! Wait until next season when they sign Nate Clements from us because Donahoe refuse to open Ralph's checkbook and resign him. The hits keep coming.....

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                      • Apr 2005

Troll....what does it say about the Cowboys who just picked up a QB who got released twice....what a great move to pick up the trash. I loved the Milloy move....if the Pats wanna give us him for an old Harrison...we'll take it. It was an upgrade from our previous safety, so i fail to see why that is a bad move. Antwain Smith sucked also, why do you think nobody has held onto him for more than a season? Once again...you proved you know nothing. Get a clue...then post....

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by NE39
                        However, there were reasons behind both SF and Dallas not keeping it together. SF was due to cap issues coming due. Dallas lost a key ingredient in Jimmy Johnson, and things fell apart.

The Pats have 3 key pieces in Belichick, Pioli and Brady. Those aren't going anywhere in the near future.

They have good long-term cap health because they set a value on each player, and aren't afraid to let them go if their compensation exceeds that value. That is why they have let guys go like Milloy, Woody, T. Washington, B. Hamilton, Joe Andruzzi, David Patten. They replaced them with younger and cheaper players.

I recognize the Pats aren't going to win the Super Bowl every year, because there are too many factors that have to come together for that. In fact, they may never win another, for all I know. However, they will be in the mix for the next few years because they have all the pieces in place to be a good team during that time.

They have Belichick and Pioli to run things.

They have Brady as a QB.

They have a lot of talented young players and a bunch of veteran leaders.

It is hard to imagine any circumstance where there would be a fall-off into an also-ran in the near future, given those factors being in place.
                        I understand what you are saying but that's my point. Nobody in Dallas or SF imagined the circumstances that led to their demise. It is simply the nature of things...all dynasties come to an end.

For whatever reason...be it Bellichick loses his desire...unlucky draft choices...injury to Brady...problems attracting talent given the "value" approach...key FA's don't pan out....etc., etc., no team is going to stay on top forever. IMO, the decline has already been set in motion with the departure of Weis and Crennel (I don't want to debate this...I know there are arguments on both sides) and it's just a matter of time before success catches up with them. IMO I think they have 1-2 more top seasons before they hit the skids and start to clock in with some 8-8, 7-9 seasons.

Comment

• beach2nd
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by WillisMcNasty21
                          Troll....what does it say about the Cowboys who just picked up a QB who got released twice....
                          I believe he only got released once...the other time it took a first round pick to pry him away.

Comment

Working...
                          X