PDA

View Full Version : I'm just wondering something about Henry....

Michael82
07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Why are we trading him to be a backup in Tennessee or Jacksonville when he could do the same thing here. Willis McGahee has the same chance to go down for an extended period of time that Chris Brown does IMO. This really proves that there was bad blood between Henry and McGahee or Henry and other players. That's the only thing that makes sense. Why would he want to be a backup somewhere else when he can do that here?

Are we just trading Henry for the sake of trading him? To get rid of him and get something for him instead of just losing him at the end of the season?

What do you guys think? :feedback:

Iehoshua
07-16-2005, 12:35 PM
Are we just trading Henry for the sake of trading him? To get rid of him and get something for him instead of just losing him at the end of the season?

For that reason plus he's disgruntled and they don't him becoming a distraction.

Michael82
07-16-2005, 12:39 PM
For that reason plus he's disgruntled and they don't him becoming a distraction.
But why would he have no problem being a backup somewhere else? I don't understand that.

ublinkwescore
07-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Because TD attacked his pride by drafting McGahee and he knows he won't start over a healthy mcgahee - but in all likelihood, he'll win the starting job from Chris Brown.

casdhf
07-16-2005, 12:44 PM
a contract extension

Kelly The Dog
07-16-2005, 12:46 PM
All of the above. Travis, like anyone would, felt slighted when the Bills took Willis. When Travis played poorly, and Willis emerged, he knew that Willis was the golden boy here. I guarantee that Travis thinks he's better than Willis, and he should (only because all the players think they're great and the best and need that to excel). He probably thinks he can beat out Chris Brown and become TN's feature back, and that is a possibility. He probably thinks he can beat out Fred Taylor (due to injury) and become the Jags feature back. He probably doesn't think he can beat out Willis, because he thinks the Bills wouldn't allow that to happen. It isn't true, but I would bet anything that is what he is thinking. He just wants to go to a place where he can play. He thinks the Bills screwed him.

Michael82
07-16-2005, 12:46 PM
Because TD attacked his pride by drafting McGahee and he knows he won't start over a healthy mcgahee - but in all likelihood, he'll win the starting job from Chris Brown.
I disagree. Chris Brown is the undisputed starter, unless he goes down with an injury.

ublinkwescore
07-16-2005, 12:49 PM
I say worst case scenario - running back by committee - best case scenario - Travis Henry will have the job in no time because Brown will be hurt.

Kelly The Dog
07-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Chris Brown is very good player but he's not great in short yardage. Fisher took him out for Antawain Smith on numerous goal line and short yardage plays last year even when Brown was healthy (I know because I watched them and had Brown on my fantasy team and it pissed me off). I wouldn't doubt if Travis gets those plays this year, too. And I think he has a chance to replace Brown.

ublinkwescore
07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Travis is a 1300+ yard back - why would you trade away a 3rd for a cheap back that's proven that kind of performance in more then one season and sit him on the bench - Travis is smaller and lower to the ground and therefore his momentum is concentrated better - much more ideal for moving the pile then an upright runner like Chris Brown - Travis Henry is the better back for more situations - while Chris Brown would make a nice contingency plan spelling Henry should Henry get hurt.

ublinkwescore
07-16-2005, 12:53 PM
either way - here's hoping to the Titans being this year's S.F. or Miami.

Turf
07-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Since when was Travis any good in a short yardage situation?

FlyingDutchman
07-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Since when was Travis any good in a short yardage situation?
Many times last year.....most memerable (did i spell that right?..anyways) was against the raiders when i think we had a first and goal inside the 5, and the combination of Bledsoe and Henry got us about 3 yards......as you know....we ended up losing that game...as we did the first 4 games when he struggled to get the ball in the end zone from close. Not that Henry is a bad back....he just isnt a short yardage back. Mcgahee has a nose for the endzone as he proved in college senior year setting the record.....and last year scoring 13 TDs in 11 games.....I dont think Henry is capable of being such a force that we will soon see Mcgahee to be....

Philagape
07-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Henry depends on a good line to succeed. (As opposed to say, McGahee, who can improvise on the outside)

Night Train
07-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Titan OC Norm Chow will try to run a spread offense, much like Gilbride did in Buffalo. That means many draws and delayed handoffs for Henry, which he did well in.

He wasn't going to prosper in this Bills offense. RB's must block, catch short passes, turn the corner on sweeps etc. Not Henrys' game at all. The contract situation is a moot point, from a coaching perspective.

He didn't fit the playbook.

ShadowHawk7
07-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Chris Brown is not the undisputed starter. The best man will win the job; it's an open competition.

Bill Brasky
07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Fred Taylor is injured all the time so it would make sense for him to go there... and if I were Jeff Fisher I'd start Henry over Brown any day of the week.

TH will be the starter in TENN, or at least split a lot of carries/time w/ Brown. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use both guys as a dual-backfield type of threat. It was a good move by them. If McNair stays healthy their offense could be pretty good.

Iehoshua
07-16-2005, 08:34 PM
But why would he have no problem being a backup somewhere else? I don't understand that.
He's a loser.

Jan Reimers
07-17-2005, 05:47 AM
TH feels the Bills screwed him by drafting McGahee when TH was playing well and was clearly the number 1 back here. That was a direct slap in the face to TH. He then lost his starting job to the WM, which was a further "dis."

TH doesn't have that kind of bitter history with any other team.

HHURRICANE
07-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Titan OC Norm Chow will try to run a spread offense, much like Gilbride did in Buffalo. That means many draws and delayed handoffs for Henry, which he did well in.

He wasn't going to prosper in this Bills offense. RB's must block, catch short passes, turn the corner on sweeps etc. Not Henrys' game at all. The contract situation is a moot point, from a coaching perspective.

He didn't fit the playbook.
Very good post. Henry did not fit the playbook or the new offense that MM is trying to implement. Think about last year, Bledsoe and Henry stood out as the two players who really struggled the first four weeks.

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Chris Brown would make a nice contingency plan spelling Henry should Henry get hurt.
This is just the opposite. Henry will spell Brown during games and if he gets hurt. Brown is a homerun threat and Henry isn't anywhere close to that. Brown averaged 4.9 ypc last season.

pleasesavedrew
07-17-2005, 03:58 PM
its emabarissing to sit on the bench when u were the star for 2 years.

Dozerdog
07-17-2005, 04:10 PM
its emabarissing to sit on the bench when u were the star for 2 years.It's embarassing when you get busted with a 15 year old

It's embarassing to blow every penny of your rookie contract thus needing to sign an extension at dirt bottom prices

It's embarassing having your Agent drinking out of a bowling ball in the parking lot.

Travis Henry turned his own career into an embarassment. He could have played the good soldier and gone the Lamont Jordan route and signed a hefty FA deal after backing up a top rusher. He chose not to and sulk instead of fight for his job.

:baby:

Iehoshua
07-17-2005, 07:19 PM
It's embarassing when you get busted with a 15 year old

It's embarassing to blow every penny of your rookie contract thus needing to sign an extension at dirt bottom prices

It's embarassing having your Agent drinking out of a bowling ball in the parking lot.

Travis Henry turned his own career into an embarassment. He could have played the good soldier and gone the Lamont Jordan route and signed a hefty FA deal after backing up a top rusher. He chose not to and sulk instead of fight for his job.

:bf1:
100% correct.

Typ0
07-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Why are we trading him to be a backup in Tennessee or Jacksonville when he could do the same thing here. Willis McGahee has the same chance to go down for an extended period of time that Chris Brown does IMO. This really proves that there was bad blood between Henry and McGahee or Henry and other players. That's the only thing that makes sense. Why would he want to be a backup somewhere else when he can do that here?

What do you guys think? :feedback:

because Travis knows he's not fit to clean WM jockstrap after a game and he believes he has a shot at starting in TEN.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 08:05 PM
I like Travis Henry as a football player. He is a tough, Buffalo style running back and simply had some unwarranted bad luck in Buffalo. During the season, he handled the back-up role like a man when he could have been a tremendous distraction. He always showed up to play and gave everything he had on the field. I wish him nothing but the best in Tennessee. Don't let a few bitter statements from him make you forget his contributions. He deserves better.

BuffaloRanger
07-17-2005, 08:36 PM

Apples and oranges. Jordan was never the man. He always was #2.

TH was a great player on the Bills. Basically the MVP for 2 years. But there is no way he could have competed and kept WM on the bench. No way. WM was a flashy 1st rd pick that got payed to rehab for a whole season. TD and the Bills wanted to give him every opportunity to succeed. Only if he was a complete flop would TH have remained the starter. The change was inevitable.

Just like WM's holdout after this year is inevitable. There is no doubt he and Rosenhaus will renig on his contract.

What do you call someone who renigs on a contract? No. A big jerk.

Drive 4 Five
07-17-2005, 08:50 PM
This little guy played his heart out for you. Given how he was one of our best players during his tenure here, I am surprised to see so many people putting him down.

Why did he choose to leave? Pride and acceptance that he had absolutley no chance to start in Buffalo (EVER) barring a severe injury to McGahee. McGahee possesses physical talent that few backs in the league can come close to, including Henry.

I really hated to see this play out the way it did and I wish henry could have shown a little more professionalism but regardless, Henry was a warrior and I wish him the best wherever he goes. Who the hell is Chris Brown anyway? He ain't *****. I say Henry has a damn good chance to start for the Titans.

Dozerdog
07-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Anyone who renegs on a contract is a complete jerk.

Owens, Henry- anyone

Typ0
07-17-2005, 08:52 PM
Apples and oranges. Jordan was never the man. He always was #2.

TH was a great player on the Bills. Basically the MVP for 2 years. But there is no way he could have competed and kept WM on the bench. No way. WM was a flashy 1st rd pick that got payed to rehab for a whole season. TD and the Bills wanted to give him every opportunity to succeed. Only if he was a complete flop would TH have remained the starter. The change was inevitable.

Just like WM's holdout after this year is inevitable. There is no doubt he and Rosenhaus will renig on his contract.

you're kidding me right? TH had the job...he lost it due to lack of perforamnce...or are you saying he was a top back when he had the job last season? better look again.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
4 games under a completely new system, with a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator, a new oline coach, and a hyped up first round pick breathing down your neck is an unfair situation in which to be judged. Give that warrior the whole season to perform and he would've found a way to at least 1,200 yds. With that said, I digress. I truly hope that I don't miss Travis Henry and that McGahee makes us look back at this trade and makes us :smile:. Best of luck to TH but even better luck to WM.

BigZ
07-18-2005, 05:08 AM

Good post Dozer!!

ryjam282
07-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Henry will definitely be the starter in Tenn after training camp is over. Chris Brown can't and never will be healthy. He is the new Fred Taylor. He will be used to spell Henry at times and Travis will get a decent big dollar contract so they will definitely not be using that kind of money and a 3rd round pick as a backup.