PDA

View Full Version : Henry To Titans: Good or Bad Deal?

LifetimeBillsFan
07-17-2005, 05:57 AM
While it is possible that T.Donahoe and the Bills could have held onto T.Henry for a couple of more weeks until after training camps opened in an effort to get more than the third round pick that they got from the Titans, the more I have been thinking about the deal, the more I have come to believe that the Bills got just about the best deal that they could for T.Henry.

Some may argue that the Bills could have gotten more for T.Henry last season when Miami was willing to give up a third round pick for a RB like L.Gordon, who doesn't even compare to T.Henry. But, in my view, the Bills did the right thing in holding onto T.Henry because they didn't know for sure that W.McGahee would play as well as he did (they may have thought that he would, but they didn't know that he would) or that T.Henry would play as poorly and as little as he ultimately did. Also, the best offer for T.Henry probably would have come from Miami and, for all of his shortcomings, you have to believe that Henry would have played well for Miami and saved his best for games against the Bills if he had been traded there.

Some may argue that the Bills should have traded T.Henry for L.Shelton when Arizona offered the Bills that deal. While that deal would have given the Bills an experienced, former first round draft pick to replace J.Jennings at LT, having watched Shelton's father play for the Knicks and read reports that, like his father, Shelton was a physically talented, but lackadaisical player, I was never sure that Shelton would really be the answer for the Bills at LT. I did not feel that the Arizona offer was worth it unless they were willing to swap places with the Bills in the second round of this past year's draft--which they were not. While Shelton is an experienced LT and he may or may not be better than Gandy, I'm not sure that he would have been a better option than S.Gragg, let alone R.Verba. While there was no way of knowing that Verba would be available at the time, I think a straight up deal of T.Henry for L.Shelton would not have been a particularly good one for the Bills.

Now, some might argue that the Bills could have and should have gotten a third round pick for T.Henry before or during the draft. However, all the reports that I have read suggest that no team offered the Bills anywhere near that high of a draft pick for T.Henry. While there were rumors about what was or wasn't being offered, the only solid offer that it was reported that the Bills definitely got was for a late round pick from Philly. Since TD said that he wasn't going to take less than a third round pick and took one when it was offered, I have to conclude that it lends credibility to his claim that he was not offered one during or before this year's draft. Moreover, while this deal doesn't offer the Bills immediate help right now, this past year's draft was acknowledged to be a weak one, while next year's draft is supposed to be better and, if the NFL.com rankings of players coming out in the 2006 draft is to be believed, is deep at LT, DT, DE and CB--all potential positions of need for the Bills--which will make a pick in the 2006 draft a potential better one than an even higher pick in the 2005 draft.

Some may argue that this trade is premature and that TD should have held out for a higher pick: after all, T.Henry was a second round draft pick and a former Pro Bowler. But, as others have pointed out in other threads, this has been a bad market for RBs. Considering that Seattle and Indy were unable to get a second round pick for S.Alexander and E.James, who have been quite simply better than T.Henry, getting what should be a top of the round third round pick for T.Henry seems to me to be pretty reasonable and fair. While it is possible that a team might have offered a better pick than the Titans down the road, it isn't likely: Seattle is reported to have offered S.Alexander to Jax for their second round pick and Jax refused to make the deal--if they wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for S.Alexander, why would they give up that pick for T.Henry? While it is likely that some RB will be hurt in TC or early in the season and a team might be willing to offer a 2nd rounder for T.Henry, there is no guarantee that they would do so and trading T.Henry now insures that the team will go into training camp without the distractions that would have arisen if T.Henry was still on the Bills' roster.

Finally, some may argue that the trade is all well and good, but it doesn't help the Bills now. Well, that's true to a certain extent, but not necessarily. As i pointed out earlier and in another thread, it is possible that the Bills may be able to use the money saved by trading T.Henry to sign R.Verba, if he comes to his senses and realizes that the Bills are really the only team interested in him at this point and is willing to sign with them. Certainly, it will give the Bills enough to sign a player like S.Gragg, who has started at LT for 2 of his seasons and was originally developed by Mouse McNally, should Gandy not be able to handle the LT position once the pads go on. Being able to add Verba or Gragg gives the Bills the flexibility to improve their offensive line situation this season should they feel that they need to do so. Or, they could use the money to try to sign T.McGee and/or N.Clements to an extension, which may not help this year, but will down the road.

It has been suggested that, if this trade had been made sooner, the Bills might have used a third round pick to take M.Wright in the supplemental draft. The problem is that, according to every report I have read, the offers for T.Henry did not begin heating up until this past week, with the Titans not offering more than a conditional fourth rounder before that and Jax only offering their third rounder around the middle of this week. Still, the Bills might have drafted Wright in anticipation that they would eventually trade T.Henry, but they didn't. And, in my opinion that was probably a good decision. Even though I initially raised the possibility of drafting Wright on this board when he declared for the supplemental draft, after reading reports about him and his workout for the scouts and hearing him in an interview, I came to the conclusion that drafting him would be a real risk. While he has a lot of talent, he is very immature and doesn't work hard. According to his college line coach, he is not ready for the NFL and would have been better off playing 2 more years in college. To me, that makes him a real boom or bust prospect with more potential to be a bust and not likely to be ready to offer immediate help to a team like the Bills this season. And, IMHO, that makes the issue of making this trade sooner even more of a moot point.

So, taking everything into consideration, I think that this is a pretty good trade for the Bills and that they have gotten as much as possible for T.Henry in this deal. What do you think?

casdhf
07-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Great post. I think we did well by making the deal. I wish maybe it would be a conditional 2nd, but hey, a straight 3rd is pretty good

lordofgun
07-17-2005, 07:44 AM
I think it sucks, but I voted good trade because I don't want to feel alone.

HHURRICANE
07-17-2005, 08:57 AM
If the Jags were willing to give us a second, which is being reported, than we did not do as well as we thought. Also, the reason TH was the best RB out there, better than Alexander or James, was he had a reasonable contract to negotiate.

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 09:46 AM
If nobody would give a 2nd for Alexander there is no chance in hell to get a 2nd for Henry.

The Patriots got Dillion for a late second. Henry isn't worth anymore then an early 3rd. We got his value.

Jayhawk
07-17-2005, 10:02 AM
not a bad trade.

Sportsuser101
07-17-2005, 11:03 AM
If the Jags were willing to give us a second, which is being reported, than we did not do as well as we thought. Also, the reason TH was the best RB out there, better than Alexander or James, was he had a reasonable contract to negotiate.
Its amazing how an opinion of a writer becomes fact. I doubt the Jags would have offered a 2nd.

Philisophical Troll
07-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Tom Donahoe clearly dropped the proverbial Bills football yet again. This loser should have got a first rounder but his bad poker face and poor decisions have alienated him from his fellow GM's around the league. Nobody even wants to negotiate with this tool including premier FA's and their agents. Travis Henry is a proven 1300+ rusher and probowler. Mcgimpknee has done nothing of note in this league. Bills fans will soon see they traded the wrong back. Whats worse is now you have no contingency plan when mcgimp shows he's not a durable 16 game back. Good luck with Rashard Lee, he was a solid special team player for the cowboys but no better than 4th on the depth chart.

I have no doubt that Travis will rejuvenate his career playing in Tennessee. Jeff Fisher is an outstanding coach, and don't forget TH is a legend at the university of tennessee. I have no doubt he will rush for 1300+ on the Titans even if they are a bad football team again this year.

Night Train
07-17-2005, 12:25 PM
I have no doubt he will rush for 1300+ on the Titans even if they are a bad football team again this year.
Mrs. Doubtfire has spoken.

FlyingDutchman
07-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Tom Donahoe clearly dropped the proverbial Bills football yet again. This loser should have got a first rounder but his bad poker face and poor decisions have alienated him from his fellow GM's around the league. Nobody even wants to negotiate with this tool including premier FA's and their agents. Travis Henry is a proven 1300+ rusher and probowler. Mcgimpknee has done nothing of note in this league. Bills fans will soon see they traded the wrong back. Whats worse is now you have no contingency plan when mcgimp shows he's not a durable 16 game back. Good luck with Rashard Lee, he was a solid special team player for the cowboys but no better than 4th on the depth chart.

I have no doubt that Travis will rejuvenate his career playing in Tennessee. Jeff Fisher is an outstanding coach, and don't forget TH is a legend at the university of tennessee. I have no doubt he will rush for 1300+ on the Titans even if they are a bad football team again this year.

The moron has spoken again.....If you think the Bills could have gotten a first round pick for Henry you are obviously on crack, especially when you consider what Dillon went to NE for, an what TO went for Baltimore to Phila for...Once again you have proven your lack of football knowledge...do you ever get sick of looking stupid? And what were those stats Travis had, bout 1300 in a 16 game season?? Mcgahee almost had that much in 11 games....sorry your rookie back will have a sophmore slump and suck next year...too bad you guys are gonna have to rely on A train who is getting older, slower, and only had 1 good year, he should fit nicely with the slow Bledsoe.....too bad the Bills are moving forward and the cowboys are picking up the trash and moving backwards....I cant wait to read your next idiotic statement...

Philagape
07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
This loser should have got a first rounder

You just live on your own little world, don't you? Only a Cowgirls fan would say something so stupid and ignorant. Even Fin fans don't post stuff as dense as this.

Mcgimpknee has done nothing of note in this league. Bills fans will soon see they traded the wrong back.

Were you locked up in an asylum all last year? Do you think perhaps you should actually follow the NFL before commenting on it?

Whats worse is now you have no contingency plan when mcgimp shows he's not a durable 16 game back.

Like 205-pound Julius Jones? Whom the Cowgirls had so much faith in, they signed Thomas and drafted Barber? Oops.

BleedinGreenNC
07-17-2005, 02:23 PM
I think that it needed to be done, good job for you guys and good luck next season.

ublinkwescore
07-17-2005, 02:45 PM
shaud williams will do ok for us - he's no mcgahee, or Henry, but if the line can open some holes for him, he'll pick up all available yards.

ublinkwescore
07-17-2005, 02:48 PM
i think the redneck in every cowboys fan in him is starting to show.

Mr. Cynical
07-17-2005, 04:11 PM
OK trade. He wasn't worth a 1st, and is alot better than a 4th. A straight 2nd would have been a great trade...a conditional 2nd would have been a good trade. A straight 3rd is an okay trade. If it is a high 3rd, then it is pretty close to being fair.

BillsOwnAll
07-17-2005, 04:36 PM
solid trade. Henry is a warrior but is high risk to get hurt. McGahee will get it done. In my opion the draft is an overrated thing. Good players come form all the rounds. This might be a mistake but was it montna that was liek a 6th rounder? i know it was one of the old greats came really late.

relentless
07-17-2005, 08:39 PM

I have no doubt that Travis will rejuvenate his career playing in Tennessee. Jeff Fisher is an outstanding coach, and don't forget TH is a legend at the university of tennessee. I have no doubt he will rush for 1300+ on the Titans even if they are a bad football team again this year. Apparently you have not seen the difference when Willis is in the game.....Travis does not possess the ability to carry an o line like Willis does.....please go watch some game tape & do some research before you make a call on a player......it does not come off very convincingly