X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Why not take the second from Jax?

I am hearing that Jax was offering a second. A second, even late, is still better than a third. I think we could have waited a few more days.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why not take the second from Jax?

I haven't heard anything official yet
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
      I am hearing that Jax was offering a second. A second, even late, is still better than a third. I think we could have waited a few more days.
      That was a ficticious story that some newspaper in Jacksonville was pushing.. If they were really willing to part with a 2nd, I think they would have been able to reach someone in the Bills Front Office.

Maybe they should've tried to make the conditional 2nd round offer before the deal with Tenn. was completed instead of claiming the offer was on the table.. that story is probably fiction anyway.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Bills 4 life
        • Oct 2004

Camp doesn't open til the 29th. I would have let both teams..or maybe even 3 teams duke it out(sea). This pick would have turned into a 2nd rounder.
        "No one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"

Buffalo Bills fans- "We're all we got"

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

"But a league source said Jacksonville hadn't heard from the Bills in days despite repeated attempts to contact them. Jacksonville wanted Henry so badly it might have given up a second-rounder if given a chance to make a counter offer, the source said."

Desparation?!

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
            • Aug 2004

No concrete evidence of that unless you have sources other than that in B News today.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get a conditional 2nd. I'd bet that if TD has a chance to get a 2nd straight up, he'd push for it very hard.

The word has always been that Titans offered a 3rd in recent days without a Henry extension in place while Jags had an extension in place but not meeting Bills solid 3rd requirement. Only on Friday night they made an offer: a 3rd round offer.

Could the Bills bargain more to get to the 2nd round? Maybe, but I felt unless Taylor is not going to play this season, I doubt Jags would give us that straight up.

Notice the different approaches. The Jags think about long term investment with Henry replacing Taylor next year and onwards (which means they could offer a conditional 2nd but get around it in actual play this year) whereas the Titans are in a finding out mold with regard to Brown and Henry this year.

Comment

• BillsFever21
              • Aug 2004

I'd rather ship off to the Titans. It would suck if the Jags beat us out for a playoff spot with Henry helping them do it.

The only way Henry would meet the requirements for a conditional 2nd is if Taylor was out about all of the year. When/If Taylor is healthy he would be getting the bulk of the carries.

Henry is in the same situation as Buffalo but only in a different city. He will be the backup when Chris Brown is healthy.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                • Jul 2002

If this story is true, and I highly doubt it, the only reason the Bills take the Titans 3rd rounder is because they believe that they will not be very competitive this year. The Bills would probably feel that making a potential playoff team stronger (Jaguars) would not be good for their efforts to get into the playoffs. This way, yes, they lose a couple of spots in the draft, but they don't help out another team who they will be competing against for a playoff spot. This is the only reason I could see the Bills turning down a 2nd rounder.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

I don't think we would have had to settle for a conditional but a firm second rounder out of Jax. Jax might have blown this one. They really needed Henry.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

I don't think we would have had to settle for a conditional but a firm second rounder out of Jax. Jax might have blown this one. They really needed Henry.
                    I'd rather not help the Jags out.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsFever21
                      I'd rather ship off to the Titans. It would suck if the Jags beat us out for a playoff spot with Henry helping them do it.

The only way Henry would meet the requirements for a conditional 2nd is if Taylor was out about all of the year. When/If Taylor is healthy he would be getting the bulk of the carries.

Henry is in the same situation as Buffalo but only in a different city. He will be the backup when Chris Brown is healthy.
                      Agreed.

Jax has egg on their faces right now. They had 4 months to meet the Bills price of an unconditional 3rd round pick. All of a sudden- after getting beaten by a divisional rival, they claim to have offered something better?

All you see is Jaguar damage control.

Plus- I'm sure there is somewhat of an ediquette between GM's as well. If you name your price- and someone agrees in principle- you aren't going to hang up the phone and backstab it by dealing back to Jacksonville.

It would be one thing if TD went to the two clubs and said- "OK- best offer takes Henry". He didn't. He said "Unconditional 3rd round pick" - the Titans finally said "OK- Deal".

I'm very happy how this turned out. Next year's draft is loaded with LT's ...and with 4 picks in the first day- we should be able to land one.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                        Agreed.

Jax has egg on their faces right now. They had 4 months to meet the Bills price of an unconditional 3rd round pick. All of a sudden- after getting beaten by a divisional rival, they claim to have offered something better?

Plus- I'm sure there is somewhat of an ediquette between GM's as well. If you name your price- and someone agrees in principle- you aren't going to hang up the phone and backstab it by dealing back to Jacksonville.

It would be one thing if TD went to the two clubs and said- "OK- best offer takes Henry". He didn't. He said "Unconditional 3rd round pick" - the Titans finally said "OK- Deal".

I'm very happy how this turned out. Next year's draft is loaded with LT's ...and with 4 picks in the first day- we should be able to land one.

Don't forget, we probably will get more draft picks because of the loss of Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings.

Comment

• gggbills
                          • Mar 2003

Agreed.

I concur, I think the Jags are trying to save face here. If they wanted TH that bad, they could have had him days ago. But they will be all right even if Taylor does not recover, the Jags will need to go get Shawn A. or E. James, and they will pay a heavy price for doing so

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Good point.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                              My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by BillsFever21

I'm not so sure about that. Brown proved that he is not a workhorse back. I would think that the Titans would be smart enough to want to keep him healthy rather than abuse him until he's injured.
                              My guess is that the carries will be fairly evenly distributed. Henry will be the short yardage guy while Brown will see more in the passing game. It's really a nice complimentary duo. Brown's upright, slashing style with potential big runs vs. Henry's low, power, stiff arming style that always gets you positive yards when you need them.

Comment

Working...
                              X