PDA

View Full Version : Bills to work on contract extension for McGee.

Tatonka
07-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Clipped from: ESPN.com article by Len Pasquarelli, 7/15/05

The Buffalo Bills told Terry Bolar, the agent for third-year cornerback Terrence McGee, they want to sit down and discuss a contract extension once training camp starts. McGee became a Pro Bowl return man in 2004, averaging 26.3 yards and scoring three times on kickoffs. Under the tutelage of Bobby April, the league's best special teams coach, McGee made great strides. But perhaps even more important was McGee's emergence at cornerback, where he made a quantum leap after being forced into the starting lineup by an injury to Troy Vincent.

read more... HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2108479&num=5)

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Now that the Henry deal appears to be agreed to in principle, the priority for the Bills front office should be signing their draft picks as well as signing some of their veterans to contract extensions. Topping that list should be CB Nate Clements, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent next year, and Terence McGee, who will come at a much lower price. McGee was a fantasy stud last year in IDP leagues and should remain productive as long as he plays opposite Clements.

sounds good to me. one of the two guys definately needs to be locked up if possible.

BillsRockSOMUCH
07-17-2005, 09:37 AM
McGee is an RFA after this year though. Wouldn't that mean after this year we can put the medium tender on him? So then unless someone gives a first I believe that means he'd stay around through 2006. But giving Clemens an extension should be a BIG priority!

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 09:39 AM
I want Clements back but I doubt we'll pony up the money to keep him.

juice
07-17-2005, 09:41 AM
I would be happier with an extension being worked with Nate Clements, but if McGee can continue to progress as a CB and maintain his Pro Bowl level play as a return man, then he could turn out to be as much of a factor as Clements in this teams success this year.. even though Nate could be the larger factor in the Bills long term success.

April could turn McGee into the League's top return man, which could result in him changing the outcome of 2 or 3 games this year.. thats a huge factor in this team making the Playoffs this year.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-17-2005, 09:52 AM
To get a cheaper deal, you start with RFA level. I think the Bills front office finally realized the mistake they made on Clements last year, though the Bledsoe contract re-work, along with signing Shoebel, attempted signing of Jennings (I believe the Bills never intended to resign Williams) made this nearly impossible in terms of cap.

Get McGee signed, you bring at least some stability at corner positions. I strongly believe they will franchise Clements next year if the cap allows, either to buy some time for a long term agreement or to trade him. Believe me, there will be teams approaching Bills about Clements if they let it known he can be had.

jamze132
07-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Is it going to be possible to eventually keep Clements and McGahee longterm? I doubt it. I will take my chances with McGahee and McGee.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
As much as I would love to see Clements back, I just don't think it's going to happen. The best chance would be for TD to work an extension prior to the season opener, similar to what was done with Schobel last year. Otherwise, a guy like Clements will no doubt love to take his chances in free agency next year where he stands to make obscene amounts of $$$$.
What's all this talk about franchising? I just don't think it coincides with TD's philisophy. Has he ever franchised anyone?
It would be great to see McGee get an extension. He's on the rise but has only one proven year under his belt so he would be smart to get the cash while he can. At the same time, TD could extend him for substantially less than what Clements will command.

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 10:17 AM
As much as I would love to see Clements back, I just don't think it's going to happen. The best chance would be for TD to work an extension prior to the season opener, similar to what was done with Schobel last year. Otherwise, a guy like Clements will no doubt love to take his chances in free agency next year where he stands to make obscene amounts of $$$$.
What's all this talk about franchising? I just don't think it coincides with TD's philisophy. Has he ever franchised anyone?
It would be great to see McGee get an extension. He's on the rise but has only one proven year under his belt so he would be smart to get the cash while he can. At the same time, TD could extend him for substantially less than what Clements will command.Have you ever heard of Peerless Price before? He's the guy he franchised and traded to Atlanta which in return got us Willis McGahee.

There is no chance in hell TD would let a talent like Clements walk for nothing next season if we can't keep him. He would at least get a 2nd round pick for him.

ParanoidAndroid
07-17-2005, 10:28 AM
I think Clements is in his last season here as well. My guess is that Buffalo will use on of its day one picks next year on a CB and maybe get a second tier veteran for a year while the rookie acclimates.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Have you ever heard of Peerless Price before? He's the guy he franchised and traded to Atlanta which in return got us Willis McGahee.

There is no chance in hell TD would let a talent like Clements walk for nothing next season if we can't keep him. He would at least get a 2nd round pick for him.
That's right. I forgot about the Peerless franchise and for good reason. I think TD knew exactly what he was doing when he tagged him. He knew how badly Atlanta ownership wanted him. They felt they were on the brink of the Superbowl and the missing link was a speedy receiver to complement the freak of nature, Michael Vick. Just a great move by TD but I don't think he ever intended to keep Peerless.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about Clements. Do you think that TD will tag him and trade him for a second rounder? I think that's highly unlikey. I would bet the scouts are already focusing on CB's for day one of next year's draft.

Sportsuser101
07-17-2005, 10:50 AM
From the beginning of the offseason I said priority #1 should have been signing Nate long term. I will be very disappointed if TD does not get this done.

Kelly The Dog
07-17-2005, 10:50 AM
That's right. I forgot about the Peerless franchise and for good reason. I think TD knew exactly what he was doing when he tagged him. He knew how badly Atlanta ownership wanted him. They felt they were on the brink of the Superbowl and the missing link was a speedy receiver to complement the freak of nature, Michael Vick. Just a great move by TD but I don't think he ever intended to keep Peerless.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about Clements. Do you think that TD will tag him and trade him for a second rounder? I think that's highly unlikey. I would bet the scouts are already focusing on CB's for day one of next year's draft.
TD could AFFORD to franchise Peerless because he could tell the rest of the NFL (which he did) if you don't make a trade, we'll be happy to keep him as our guy. Whether that was true or not is highly debatable, but he could legitimatey say that because Peerless was a very productive player and his play elevated each of his 3-4 years in the league. There are not a lot of players you can do that with because the franchise fee is so steep. Clements IS a player you can do that with, and it wouldn't kill us to keep him if no one bites on a trade. TD will almost surely franchise Clements, IMO, if he doesnt sign an extension and hits the FA market. You can always drop the tag.

colin
07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
TD f'ed up on Greggggg, prolly should have gotten more talent on the O line, and might not have handled the drew situation right (getting him in and letting weapons go just didn't work), but he has never been anything but excellent on player signing day.

he has paid the right amount, and made smart trades with draft picks (clements and henry came for our first pick under him, if we get a 3rd again for henry that is just great value) and managed to replace henry and get something for price.

we let winfield walk because he IS NOT WORTH WHAT HE GETS. not even close. good corner, great tackler, no turnovers. but we are NOT going to let nate go for nothing. we can trade him after tagging him, or as far as i am concerned we will just pay him top dollar and keep what i think is the best overall corner in the nfl.

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 10:57 AM
If he couldn't get a 1st for him(which he probably would) he would get something in return for him.

Sportsuser101
07-17-2005, 10:59 AM
If he couldn't get a 1st for him(which he probably would) he would get something in return for him.
I'd be pretty confident that we'd get at least a 1st round pick for him but I hope it doesn't come to that and we resign him before the season starts.

BillsFever21
07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
I'd be pretty confident that we'd get at least a 1st round pick for him but I hope it doesn't come to that and we resign him before the season starts.
I hope we get him back too.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 11:09 AM
OK. Someone has to walk me through the process on how the Bills will get a 1st round pick for Nate Clements. The Bills have absolutely no leverage right now. To tag & trade is possible but, IMO, uncommon and unlikely.
The more probable scenario is letting Clements walk and drafting a top CB in the first round. It's just the nature of the beast.

Kelly The Dog
07-17-2005, 11:16 AM
OK. Someone has to walk me through the process on how the Bills will get a 1st round pick for Nate Clements. The Bills have absolutely no leverage right now. To tag & trade is possible but, IMO, uncommon and unlikely.
The more probable scenario is letting Clements walk and drafting a top CB in the first round. It's just the nature of the beast.
Several teams want Clements, think he is the best FA out there. Bills know that and franchise him. Teams cannot sign or even negotiate with him or get him because he is franchised. Bills say if you offer a #1, you can negotiate with him. Teams look at other FAs and the draft board and who they are going to take with their #1, and no one approaches Clements pedigree, he has already proven it. One team approaches the Bills and makes the trade, Clements for a #1 after negotiating a new contract with his agent. Not saying that is going to happen but it is an easily imaginable scenario.

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Several teams want Clements, think he is the best FA out there. Bills know that and franchise him. Teams cannot sign or even negotiate with him or get him because he is franchised. Bills say if you offer a #1, you can negotiate with him. Teams look at other FAs and the draft board and who they are going to take with their #1, and no one approaches Clements pedigree, he has already proven it. One team approaches the Bills and makes the trade, Clements for a #1 after negotiating a new contract with his agent. Not saying that is going to happen but it is an easily imaginable scenario.
Hopefully, we can avoid this messy scenario and get him extended prior to camp. I think Clements is a great player and I'm a huge fan of him. I was also a huge fan of Winfield who I consider to be the best tackler in the league. However, you've got to be a realist. The decision to extend prior to camp would be up to Clements himself because you know what his agent his telling him. He wants him to light it up this year and play the market next year. He'll be in high demand and teams will offer him substantially more than what Winfield got.

JefftheBillsfan
07-17-2005, 09:09 PM
are there any other notable CBs entering the market next year?

Philisophical Troll
07-17-2005, 09:13 PM
If this idiot donahoe had a brain he'd realize he should be concerned with another cornerback: NATE CLEMENTS. Who care's about Mcgee, he's a great return man and nothing more. He will get abused trying to cover the likes of Chris Chambers, Lavernius Coles, Chad Johnson and other top AFC Receivers. Clements is a stud, despite making bonehead plays from time to time (jax game last year). But I have no doubt donahoe will do a fine job as usual and let him walk without attempting to negotiate a feasible contract solution. Hopefully after a disappointing season Nate will have the opportunity to join a contender like Fat Pat did with the Vikings.

ublinkwescore
07-17-2005, 09:16 PM
ok, what if he does go after NC - then we potentially lose McGahee and McGee - where as we can keep McGee for cheaper then Clements and still have a shot at keeping McGahee - then we just franchise Clements and get a first rounder.

BuffaloRanger
07-17-2005, 09:21 PM
If NC has another ProBowl year then hits FA next year he will become the highest paid CB in football. Franchising him lets the Bills keep him for slightly less and possibly shop him around. Players don't like to be franchised and NC could holdout. That along with the inevitable McGahee holdout will make for a tough offseason.

I think the Bills should tag him and be ready to keep him - unlike Peerless who they definitely wanted to dump.

Tatonka
07-17-2005, 10:04 PM
are there any other notable CBs entering the market next year?

actually, i was just reading about the FSU cb that just blew his knee out and there was another cb recently who got hurt for the season in their offseason workouts.. the article mentioned specifically that the draft was notably weak this upcoming year.

side note.. we havent seen him play yet, but the word has been all good on king.. he may be clements replacement as well.

JefftheBillsfan
07-17-2005, 10:14 PM
i guess i was looking more of a FA angle, wondering if anyone can help lower nate's market value a hair. i wonder if he would hold out as a franshise player? that would be a steal for that salary IMO.