PDA

View Full Version : The Hall of Fame

The_Philster
07-17-2005, 03:20 PM
We currently have 6 players/coaches in the Pro Football Hall of fame in Canton
<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#01294f border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=header3 width=590 bgColor=#01294f>
Buffalo Bills (5/1)

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff>JOE DELAMIELLEURE (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=54) (2003) - 1973-1979, 1985

JIM KELLY (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=112) (2002) - 1986-1996
MARV LEVY (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=128) (2001) - 1986-1997
James Lofton (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=131) (2003) - 1989-1992
BILLY SHAW (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=192) (1999) - 1961-1969
O.J. SIMPSON (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=195) (1985) - 1969-1977

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
That counts James Lofton who was inducted as a Packer

Here's the question...who in the Bills history so far deserves to go in besides these 6?
My thoughts..first year of eligibility in parentheses
(1974)DT Tom Sestak link (http://www.geocities.com/bflobuzrd_2000/sestak.html) It's a travesty he's not already in..hopefully that oversight will be fixed soon
(2009)DE Bruce Smith...there's 39 voters for the selection...he could get 40 votes his first year of eligibility he was so dominant
(2006)RB Thurman Thomas...should be a lock his first year...one of the best and most complete backs in the late 80s/early-to-mid 90s..led league in combined yards from scrimmage 4 straight years
(2006)WR Andre Reed...numbers would put him in his first year of eligibility but the HOF is notoriously slow electing WRs...Art Monk has been eligible since 1999 and has yet to get in
(2003)ST Steve Tasker...set the standard for special teams gunners...he'll get in...eventually story by Dozer (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/01/14/steve_tasker_deserving_of_the_hall_of_fame.php)
(2002)C Kent Hull...one of the keys in the no-huddle attack employed by the Bills in the early 90s...without his smarts and quick thinking the offense would've failed...I think he has a 50-50 shot of getting in...but it'll take a while as he wasn't noted as a dominant O-lineman by many outside of Buffalo for a long period of time
(2005)LB Cornelius Bennett..had a flair for making big plays but was noted for taking plays off at times as well...I'd say a 40% shot
QB Drew Bledsoe...say what you will about his play the last few years..but he started his career strong and once he was surrounded by talent (something required by any QB) he got even better. That being said, a short period of great play followed by mediocre and sometimes poor play only merits, IMO, a 25% shot
WR Eric Moulds...has had a strong career...if he keeps up the production, he could put himself on the WR waiting list
Owner Ralph Wilson Jr The only original AFL owner still operating the same team in the same city...Lemar Hunt moved from Dallas to KC and is in the HOF...Bud Adams from Houston to Nashville

<HR>

Who else should be added to this list? I know a lot of older fans have some opinions on this..S George Saimes, CB Butch Byrd, LB Mike Stratton, head coach Lou Saban? :feedback:

Crisis
07-17-2005, 03:29 PM
Moulds isn't HOF material.

Smith, Thomas, Reed are all shoe-ins.

Realistic chances are Bennett and Ralph

Outside chance are Tasker and Hull

pleasesavedrew
07-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Thuman, andre and bruce are locks. drew deserves it and i think he will get in. Moulds doesnt have the numbers to be in, hes only got 4 1000 yrd years. tasker will get in but it will take a really long time, wilson will get in but he'll be dead first.

Mr. Cynical
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
Here's the question...who in the Bills history so far deserves to go in besides these 6?
My thoughts..first year of eligibility in parentheses
(1974)DT Tom Sestak link (http://www.geocities.com/bflobuzrd_2000/sestak.html) It's a travesty he's not already in..hopefully that oversight will be fixed soon
(2009)DE Bruce Smith...there's 39 voters for the selection...he could get 40 votes his first year of eligibility he was so dominant
(2006)RB Thurman Thomas...should be a lock his first year...one of the best and most complete backs in the late 80s/early-to-mid 90s..led league in combined yards from scrimmage 4 straight years
(2006)WR Andre Reed...numbers would put him in his first year of eligibility but the HOF is notoriously slow electing WRs...Art Monk has been eligible since 1999 and has yet to get in
(2003)ST Steve Tasker...set the standard for special teams gunners...he'll get in...eventually story by Dozer (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2004/01/14/steve_tasker_deserving_of_the_hall_of_fame.php)
(2002)C Kent Hull...one of the keys in the no-huddle attack employed by the Bills in the early 90s...without his smarts and quick thinking the offense would've failed...I think he has a 50-50 shot of getting in...but it'll take a while as he wasn't noted as a dominant O-lineman by many outside of Buffalo for a long period of time
(2005)LB Cornelius Bennett..had a flair for making big plays but was noted for taking plays off at times as well...I'd say a 40% shot
QB Drew Bledsoe...say what you will about his play the last few years..but he started his career strong and once he was surrounded by talent (something required by any QB) he got even better. That being said, a short period of great play followed by mediocre and sometimes poor play only merits, IMO, a 25% shot
WR Eric Moulds...has had a strong career...if he keeps up the production, he could put himself on the WR waiting list
Owner Ralph Wilson Jr The only original AFL owner still operating the same team in the same city...Lemar Hunt moved from Dallas to KC and is in the HOF...Bud Adams from Houston to Nashville I agree with all your choices, although I wouldn't put Drew on this particular list. Granted he *may* get in (I personally don't think he should) but all the other names you listed were true Bills and were here for more than just 3 lousy seasons.

Ritcher could be a loooongshot, say 15 years from now. The reason is that someone else on the oline besides Hull needs credit for helping TT get his yards.

Philagape
07-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Thurman's a lock, and Bruce and Ralph should be too. Andre will get in, but maybe not on first ballot. Tasker depends on whether the voters want to honor special-teams stars in general ... if they do, he'll be the first one in. Hull and Bennett are longshots. I don't see Drew ever getting in. The only thing he has going for him is meer quantity, and that doesn't define greatness. His good seasons make up only about a third of his career.

Bill Brasky
07-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Sestak and Wilson should already be in w/o question.

I think the other guys on your list -- Reed, Thurman, Bruce will eventually go in. I would like to see Tasker but I don't think anybody outside Buffalo cares about what he did to change the game. Hull is a long shot cuz linemen don't really get the recognition they deserve.

I think Moulds needs a monster season to get some consideration. He's such an underrated receiver having played on bad teams here for so long, I think his career will get overlooked unfortunately. If he had been on good teams instead of playing w/ guys like Todd Collins and Rob Johnson he'd probably have more respect around the league, thus helping his chances.

Andre will get in, but maybe not on first ballot.
This has always confused me... Reed retired as the third leading reciever of all time, he came from a small school, and domniated secondary's for years, yet people don't think he's worthy of getting in on the first ballot. Why wouldn't he be on the first ballot? When you retire in the same boat as Jerry Rice and Steve Largent, there should be no questioning of him going in on the first ballot. Just my opinion... he'll get in, but if he doesn't on the first ballot it just shows that nobody has respect for the great Bills teams of the 90's or their accomplishments.

Philagape
07-17-2005, 09:30 PM
This has always confused me... Reed retired as the third leading reciever of all time, he came from a small school, and domniated secondary's for years, yet people don't think he's worthy of getting in on the first ballot. Why wouldn't he be on the first ballot? When you retire in the same boat as Jerry Rice and Steve Largent, there should be no questioning of him going in on the first ballot. Just my opinion... he'll get in, but if he doesn't on the first ballot it just shows that nobody has respect for the great Bills teams of the 90's or their accomplishments.

I didn't say he shouldn't, I just predicted he might not. For some reason the Hall is slow to elect receivers. It took Joiner several years, and Monk isn't even in yet, even though both were the NFL's all-time leading receiver at one point. I could be wrong.

FlyingDutchman
07-17-2005, 09:35 PM
Scott Norwood :couch:

Bill Brasky
07-17-2005, 09:57 PM
I didn't say he shouldn't, I just predicted he might not. For some reason the Hall is slow to elect receivers. It took Joiner several years, and Monk isn't even in yet, even though both were the NFL's all-time leading receiver at one point. I could be wrong.
good points, man :up:

Scott Norwood :couch:
It's not far fetched. He was a very good kicker in his prime, and w/o a doubt one of the best in the league during the late 80's/early 90's. I don't think he makes it though, for obvious reason :down:

PUCKER
07-17-2005, 11:28 PM
Bruce,Thurman,Andre,and Ralph should be locks imo. After that Id say Tasker,Hull,and Talley have a decent shot.

That Guy
07-17-2005, 11:55 PM
Just as a note, I don't think Art Monk should be a Hall of Famer. Or he should wait a little while. I have a similar view on the Hall of Fame as writer Skip Bayless... the Hall of Fame isn't the Hall of Very Good. I don't believe statistics (especially cumulative career statistics) should define a guy's career.

Keeping that in mind, I believe Bruce and Thurman will be first ballot guys.. and Ralph and Andre get in eventually.

Bill Brasky
07-18-2005, 01:13 AM
Just as a note, I don't think Art Monk should be a Hall of Famer. Or he should wait a little while. I have a similar view on the Hall of Fame as writer Skip Bayless... the Hall of Fame isn't the Hall of Very Good. I don't believe statistics (especially cumulative career statistics) should define a guy's career.

Keeping that in mind, I believe Bruce and Thurman will be first ballot guys.. and Ralph and Andre get in eventually.
You've gotta be joking... Art Monk is one of the best WR of all time.

ublinkwescore
07-18-2005, 01:17 AM
And Andre Reed was better then Art Monk wasn't he?

AndreReed83
07-18-2005, 01:20 AM
It's a shame that Art Monk isn't in the Hall of Fame yet. Anytime a conversation about the greatest WR's of all-time occurs, his name is mentioned. He played in a big media market too in Washington, so that makes it even more surprising he isn't in the HoF.

The_Philster
07-18-2005, 05:10 AM
Just as a note, I don't think Art Monk should be a Hall of Famer. Or he should wait a little while. .Hasn't he waited more than long enough as it is?

Jayhawk
07-18-2005, 07:11 AM
until Monk goes in Reed doesn't have a shot.

ryjam282
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Thruman is a true lock. I mean, he pretty much defined the word all purpose back. No one did what he did before him in that respect.

Bruce is a lock as well, all time leading sacker, no brainer.

Reed, IMO will get in, probably not the first ballot but in his 2-4th year or so. Monk did his numbers with longevity. Reed did his in a much shorter time and was on the higher profile teams in the early 90's. I think that will help. People remember names that are around a lot. If they were going 2-14 all those years he probably wouldn't be getting in too quickly. But, I think he has a 75% shot.

The_Philster
07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
until Monk goes in Reed doesn't have a shot.I think you may be right..maybe Monk finally gets in in 2006 and Reed only has to wait one extra year

LtFinFan66
07-19-2005, 04:39 AM
Definitely Bruce Smith. My all-time favorite Bill. The owner probably has a good shot. Bledsoe?? Are you kidding? I would like Thurman to get in as well

The_Philster
07-19-2005, 05:08 AM
Yeah..I think the only way Bledsoe gets in is if he has a phenomenal latter part of his career in Dallas. While I certainly expect improvement under the Tuna, I don't see him being anything great down there

Jan Reimers
07-19-2005, 05:16 AM
I like everyone on your list except Bennett - I think he falls a little short - and Moulds and Bledsoe. The latter two will need 3 or 4 more really good seasons to merit HOF consideration.

I think Darryl Talley, one of my favorite Bills, deserves to go in, but he never got the recognition he should have during his playing days. I think he was far more valuable to us than Bennett.

Earthquake Enyart
07-19-2005, 06:15 AM
The only sure thing is Bruce.