PDA

View Full Version : My take on the curent NHL contract issues.

Canadian'eh!
07-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Lots of people talking about what is about to go down.... there are a TON of questions. not to mention a TON of RFA's and UFA's with big names.

here's some of my thoughts.

Toronto will have to do a bit... but they aren't that deep in trouble... most of those older players are not signed right now....

They will most likely have to buy out Nolan's huge contract. Sundin is a whole other problem. he's makin way too much for the current cap. even with the rollback. but i don't see them letting him go either (even though he's REALLY overated). throw in Belfour, Kaberle and a few others and TO will have some big decisions.

Colorado has room to work. Blake and Sakic are accounting for almost 13 million of their cap... but the rest ofhteir contract players are secondary that they could buyout.... (Gratton, Konowalchuk).... they DO need to resign Forsberg who is UFA but wants to stay. Adam Foote (UFA) is another priority guy who might be hard to say goodbye too. Kariya and Selanne are goners i bet. Ont he RFA side you have Abeschier, Tanguay and Hejduk. Persoally I think they'd be CRAZY to let Hejduk go. With Forsbergs age and injury history...... well. Tanguay is another player who is young and breaking out. There is going to be a heartbreaking loss or 2 in Colorado for sure.

dallas can buy ouy Guerin and Turgeon for space if they want. problems solved. Modano is UFA and declining.

Detroit has problems. Stevie Y might want a 1 year deal and it won't be big anyway.... but they are still at 32 mill. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are RFA though. tough decisions. Lidstrom counts for 8 million.... Hatcher 5. If they resign Stevie for chea and do something about those 2 players they could have room for Datsyuk and Zetterberg,...

Phoenix is in good shape... at 28million in slalries and more than 3/4 of their team signed. Derek Morris is RFA and needs to be signed... but otherwise things look good for Gretz. They can even buy out Brian Savage and save almost 3 mill.

STL needs to decide on buying out Tkachuk. If they do they are in good shape.

Philly HAS to buyout Leclair... anbd probably either Roenick or Amonte. Gagne, Esche and Johnsson are RFA and Esche and Gange are must keeps.

The Champion Lightnign are in pretty good shape.

The need to get Stillman, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Boyle and Bulin under contract... but at 15 mill and some of their other good payers signed... they are doing well.

Canadian'eh!
07-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Here's a list of my top UFA's (in no particular order):

Alexander Mogilny
Joe Nieuwendyk
Brian Leetch
Nikolai Khabibulin
Cory Stillman
Mario Lemieux -lol
Alexei Zhamnov
Peter Bondra
Curtis Leschyshyn
Eric Lindros
Marius Czerkawski
Scott Niedermayer
Brian Rafalski
Scott Stevens
Alexei Kovalev
Glen Wesley
Alexei Zhitnik
Sergei Gonchar
Martin Lapointe
Glen Murray
Sandis Ozolinsh
Martin Gelinas
Fred Brathwaite
Adam Foote
Peter Forsberg
Paul Kariya
Andrei Nikolishin
Teemu Selanne
Mike Modano
Sergei Zubov
Chris Therien
Valeri Bure
Curtis Joseph
Steve Yzerman
Chris Chelios
Mathieu Schneider
Steve Thomas
Roman Cechmanek
Luc Robitaille
Martin Straka
Jason Allison
Anson Carter
Adam Deadmarsh
Zigmund Palffy
Josef Stumpel
Andrei Nazarov
Mike Rathjie
Markus Naslund
Martin Rucinsky
Magnus Arvedson

Of course all this will change in the coming days.

BuffaloRanger
07-17-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm sure the Sabres can't afford most of these guys, but here's who I'd like to see them look into

Alexander Mogilny - Reunion!
Pierre Turgeon - Reunion part 2. will mentor crosby (LOL)
Cory Stillman - always liked him - 3rd in assists 80 points
Peter Bondra - Sabre Killer
Scott Niedermayer - Best D man in NHL - too $$$$
Brian Rafalski - might be had for 2.5 mil
Alexei Kovalev - worth a look
Alexei Zhitnik - workhorse
Sergei Gonchar - offensive Dman, potential PP QB
Sandis Ozolinsh - vet might come relatively cheap
Martin Straka - worth a look
Zigmund Palffy - 80+ point guy
Josef Stumpel - good playmaker, should be cheap
Markus Naslund - doubtful. way to much $$$

Canadian'eh!
07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Markus Naslund might be staying in Sweden.

Dozerdog
07-17-2005, 09:47 PM
Good read-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2106450&num=0

Canadian'eh!
07-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Once the Habs dispose of Patrice "Paris" Brisebois (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/players/profile?statsId=0640) and his unsightly $3.42 million salary, the picture looks a little better for GM Bob Gainey
:rofl:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Here's a list of my top UFA's (in no particular order):
:star:=Sabres should sign
:star:Alexander Mogilny-he's older now let's bring him back remember how he always connected with Pat Lafontaine those two were unstoppable. You can put him with Briere. Briere plays just like Pat Lafontaine did. Mogilny to Lafontaine SCOOOOOOOOOORES LALALALALALALALALALALA LAFONTAINE :sorry: I just had to do that
Joe Nieuwendyk
Brian Leetch
Nikolai Khabibulin
:star:Cory Stillman- won the cup with TB in 2003-2004 season
Mario Lemieux -lol
Alexei Zhamnov
:star:Peter Bondra-:censored: player to play against but you gotta :love: him
Curtis Leschyshyn
Eric Lindros
:star:Marius Czerkawski-Watch Darcy will pick this guy up because he used to be a NYI
:star:Scott Niedermayer-solid defenceman can help our younger defenceman
Brian Rafalski
:star:Scott Stevens-here's our defenceman that we always needed
Alexei Kovalev
Glen Wesley
:star:Alexei Zhitnik-Z Sabres gotta resign him he's the only defenceman that can lug the puck from our end through center ice without getting :check:ed at the oppenents blue line not to mention he logs the most ammount of ice time
Sergei Gonchar
Martin Lapointe
Glen Murray
Sandis Ozolinsh
Martin Gelinas
Fred Brathwaite
:star:Adam Foote-he's just like Jay McKee just a little bit better
:star:Peter Forsberg-you don't even think about this deal just sign him
:star:Paul Kariya-a freight train that can't be stopped
Andrei Nikolishin
Teemu Selanne
:star:Mike Modano-this would be interesting if we picked him up he won the cup here in Buffalo and now he would be playing on the SABRES
Sergei Zubov
Chris Therien
Valeri Bure
Curtis Joseph
:star:Steve Yzerman-how many yrs. does this guy have left SABRES gotta sign him
Chris Chelios
Mathieu Schneider
Steve Thomas
Roman Cechmanek
Luc Robitaille-Definatly sign him he's been all around the NHL
Martin Straka
:star:Jason Allison-Good third line C
Anson Carter
:star:Adam Deadmarsh-If you can't have Forsburg then Deadmarsh is the next best player
Zigmund Palffy
:star:Josef Stumpel-second line center
Andrei Nazarov
:star:Mike Rathjie-I like him
:star:Markus Naslund-Gotta sign this guy he could be a 40 goal scorer
Martin Rucinsky
:star:Magnus Arvedson

Of course all this will change in the coming days.
When will we know who's out there?

Canadian'eh!
07-18-2005, 10:30 AM

I was looking at some of your picks there... and i think the vast majority are unlikely.

Oh, and these guys ARE out there...t hey are UFA right now. But the list will grow as the cuts come out.

Keep in mind I am NOT a Sabres fan (though i have nothing against them)... But I do know my hockey.... I like the sabres young players.... BUT they definately need some scoring and veteran leadership.

Anyway, as for your picks....

Mogilny - GOOD one.... has a great history in Buff and would be the type of player the team needs.

Stillman - I'm not sure how likely he is to leave Tampa, BUT he is a VERY underrated player and standup guy that i met a few times while he was on the Flames farm club. The guy has been sicesssful everywhere he's been but gets no respect... a great pick for ANY team. (and yes... The Flames wiffed on him AND St. Louis who played on that same farm team a few years alter. MORONS.

Bondra - Nearing the end but still a great goal scorer and a FANTASTIC PP QB. I doubt Ottawa can resign him.

Czerkawsi and Zhitnick - 2 good players for Buff.

Stevens - He is not the player he was and his ioncussion problems are well documented. I wouldn't give him big money that it would take to get him away from NJ.

Neidermayer - My best bet on him is that he stay in Jersey... If not he has a TON of options.... The rpblem with top players is that they get to pick their city/team because the money will be the same. In these cases I'm not sure Buffalo wins out.

Forget about Stevie Y and Forsberg.... that's never happening. these guys are not going anywhere but Detroit and Colorado ubless it's a chance to win a cup now.

Markus Naslund - His options are probably Anahiem (Brian Burke) and Vancouver... but his most likely destination is Modo in the Swedish Elite.

Stumpel was ineffective.

Allison is ALWAYS hurt.

Modano MAY be done.... not sure what happens with him.

Kariya and Selanne are a set... Kariya seems broken for some reason. Selanne seemed outright DONE. Was on the 3rd line in Col.

Foote - I don' think you realize hoe good Foote is.... He's an elite Dman... he's light years better than McKee! IF they cold get him great. though i can't see it happening.

Arvedson - good D forward who is VERY valuable on PK and shutting down the opposing team's best player. good pick.

Deadmarsh - Hardly the second best player on the list... but he'd be a good player for Buffalo.

I think Buffalo will have to work the 2nd tier players well. There are underrated players they can get while other "elite" teams bid on the top guys.

Brian Rafalski is a GREAT Off. Dman who could QB the PP.
Glen Murray is an underrated 40 goal scorer.
Gelinas is a clutch guy, and Deadmarsh or Stumpel might fit in well too.

Ebenezer
07-18-2005, 11:25 AM
could be as earlier as Aug. 1

Ebenezer
07-18-2005, 11:32 AM
New York Rangers
6 players under contract totaling $21.7 million

Toronto Maple Leafs
8 players under contract, totaling $27 million

Philadelphia Flyers
13 players under contract totaling $33.8 million