PDA

View Full Version : Some people are nuts

Bill Brasky
07-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I am reading a bunch of articles that say Tim Brown might not get into the Hall of Fame.

How the hell is that even possible? :idunno: :huh:

That Guy
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
I think he deserves to be in. But I could give you plenty of reasons against him.

Bill Brasky
07-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I think he deserves to be in. But I could give you plenty of reasons against him.
shoot...

That Guy
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
He was top 5 in the league in receptions only twice.
He never led the league in receiving yards.
He wasn't a playoff performer. He only had 100+ yards in a playoff game once (in at least 12 tries), and that was in a loss to Buffalo.
Never won a Super Bowl... the one that he was in he only caught one pass (granted it was near the end of his career).
He never really had a great running back to take opportunities away from him.
He rarely even made the playoffs during the prime of his career. The Hall of Fame doesn't like losers.
He played in an era that had significantly more passing (and 1000 yard receivers) than in previous decades. That basically makes cumulative career receiving stats much less important. Every Harrison/Moss/Owens/Holt-type is going to pass everyone besides Rice as long as they play for a decent amount of time.
This is just a personal belief, but I don't think at any time he could've been considered a top 3 WR in the league.. and only top 5 for a short period of time.

But.. this is just what I'd use if I didn't think he should be in. But in four/five years, Tim Brown is probably going to be like 5th-10th in most career categories.

The_Philster
07-18-2005, 05:48 PM
He'll get in..just doubtful that it'll be the 1st ballot..they're notoriously slow at inducting wideouts

Michael82
07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Art Monk is STILL not in. 'Nuff Said!

Jan Reimers
07-19-2005, 06:33 AM
Art Monk is STILL not in. 'Nuff Said!
Well said, Mikey. I have no idea - looking at some of the receivers that are in the HOF - why Monk isn't in.

Brown should get in, too, but after Monk.

Static
07-19-2005, 07:07 AM
He should get in...........

Bill Brasky
07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
He never really had a great running back to take opportunities away from him.
Marcus Allen. Bo Jackson. Do those names ring a bell?

That Guy
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Bo Jackson was done after Tim's second year. Marcus Allen was gone in 1992. Tim Brown hadn't even had a 700+ yard season yet. Who would count those years as his prime?

Bill Brasky
07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
you said NEVER... :nana:

That Guy
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
I said 'never really'... which sorta leaves it open to interpretation.. I suppose..

STAMPY
07-19-2005, 05:11 PM

lol

STAMPY
07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
charlie garner was a good rb in oakland. he took away passes and rushes

indianabillsfan
07-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Charlie Joiner is in the Hall Of Fame. He played for a pass happy offense with a Hall Of Fame QB in Dan Fouts. How many Super Bowl catches did Joiner have? None. Brown played on Raiders' teams with a carousel of QB's who were mostly average at best until Gannon came along and that was towards the twilight of Brown's career. Yet Brown's career numbers are superior to Joiner's.

A similar case can be made relating to James Lofton. He was fairly consistent over a long period and put up some excellent numbers. Lofton is in the Hall Of Fame. I love Lofton, and Joiner too, but there is no way you can say those two players had better careers or were more consistently putting up big numbers over such a long period as Brown did.

If Lofton and Joiner are in, Brown needs to be in, along with Andre Reed and Art Monk (I can't believe he's not in yet - was Lofton or Joiner better than Monk ?)

Jan Reimers
07-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Those who say Brown shouldn't get in are using the new, nonsensical "compiler" argument. That is, Brown wasn't the most dominant receiver of his era, but rather compiled his big numbers over a long career.

I say, "so what?" Doesn't a long, illustrious career that leads to some of the best numbers in the history of the game merit induction into the HOF?

Some baseball folks are using the same ridiculous argument against Raffy Palmiero getting into Cooperstown. He's a compiler, they say. Well, he's had a 20 year career where he has amassed over 3000 hits and nearly 600 home runs, becoiming only the 4th player in MLB history to have 3000 hits and 500 HRs. And he doesn't belong in the HOF? Nonsense.