PDA

View Full Version : What if......

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2005, 06:43 PM
If Losman was to struggle and maybe lose the first 3 or 4 games, would you rather him stick it out and and keep playing? Or put in Holcomb and try to salvage the season?

Pride
07-18-2005, 06:48 PM
No what ifs... he WILL struggle. There is no question.

Those of you that think he will come onto the field, light it up, and walk off of the field as the next Joe Montana are nuts!

He will struggle... I say by week 4 we should know what type of season we are going to have. He isnt a true rookie, but he doenst have any experience either.

Philagape
07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Put Holcomb in. We have the tools to win now. If JP struggles that bad, then he's not ready yet.

Philagape
07-18-2005, 06:51 PM

Those of you that think he will come onto the field, light it up, and walk off of the field as the next Joe Montana are nuts!

He will struggle... I say by week 4 we should know what type of season we are going to have. He isnt a true rookie, but he doenst have any experience either.

I don't expect him to win games for us, but if he does so badly that we're losing games because of him, then we have to get him out of there.

ParanoidAndroid
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I hope they stick with him. He's most likely going to struggle and 3 or 4 games is not enough time to give your 1st round, future QB. I know this team is built to win now, but do we really want another Holcomb QB controversy?
No. You give him just under half the season. It's a gamble, but if he slowly improves then you keep him. If he shows nothing by week 7, bench him and hope Holcomb can show enough to be the starter for the next couple of years. If we lose 4 or 5 in a row then it's more than just the QB. Stick with him, I say.

Meathead
07-18-2005, 07:45 PM

If we keep saying it do you think they will ever listen? lol.

This team is going to win primarily with defense and a running game. The coaches are shooting for an average game out of Losman this season being 13 of 22 for 190 yards 1 TD 1 Int 30 rush yards. Assuming he misses two games due to injury that would put him around 1700 yds passing 16/14, 400 yds rushing 3 TD.

Not spectacular but certainly good enough to win. The key will be when he makes his mistakes. All it takes is two throws at the wrong time to go from 10-6 to 8-8.

Ironically, that’s why I’m predicting 8-8.

Meathead
07-18-2005, 07:50 PM
The good news is that he can struggle and the team could still win. There's enough talent that with a good veteran QB they might approach 30 points a game, but with a less stable QB they might be closer to 20. Fortunately for JP that will usually be good enough.

It really does come down to when he makes his "rookie" mistakes. If we're lucky it will be when they are recoverable. If not we're 8-8.

jamze132
07-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Was it just me are did Drew strugle last year? Does anyone really think that JP will play worse than Drew did last year? Even if that's the case, The Bills won 9 Games. (Should have been 11 and a playoff birth)

Meathead
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Relative to expectations Drew struggled at times but he also played some good games and did some fine game management. If it wasn't for the team collapse in the finale, which he contributed to but didn't lose single-handedly, he would have had his team in the playoffs.

He was a disappointment but statistically he had a decent year. He also played very well at times. Ironically, it was the poorly timed errors that stand out and hurt the team, which you don't expect from a veteran. That's why I didn't want to see his face here any more.

I expect him to have a good not great season in Dallas. They're going to need to pass a lot and they've got a great set of receivers. I'd take him as a backup FF QB for sure.

pleasesavedrew
07-18-2005, 10:24 PM

I still don't agree with the decison to put a pivital year for the bills in the hands of inexperinced JP Losman, Drew should be the qb. But thats over and you gotta focus on now.Its possible for J.P. to go out and play real well, it usually takes rookie 1st round qbs a year on the bench to learn and by the second year there ready to play. culpepper did it, Mcnabb did it, rothlesberger did it in year 1. it can be done, will jp do it we'll have to wait and see. i think hes got the stuff, he just hope he doesnt wreck the theyear where we truelly got ashot to make the "run"

Philagape
07-18-2005, 10:29 PM
People say JP is a virtual rookie, but Drew often played like a rookie, so that's a wash.

Philisophical Troll
07-18-2005, 10:52 PM
If Losman was to struggle and maybe lose the first 3 or 4 games, would you rather him stick it out and and keep playing? Or put in Holcomb and try to salvage the season?
If the Bills start 0-3, 0-4, 1-5, etc...there's not question you stick with Lossman. Because that is the only way you will no he's the answer(even though I already believe he's not).

But if you guys are around 1-2, 2-3, etc and he's playing terrible and the defense is keeping you in games.....no question you have to pull lossman for holcomb.

I know my bashing has been well documented but I will say this.....the best thing the bills could do this season is start holcomb and give lossman some more time to develop. Similar to what Coughlin did with the Giants, although that backfired in a major way despite being 5-4 at the time on Mannings insertion.

Kelly Holcomb is at least a proven QB who has passed for 300+ yard multiple times in his career. He was in the shadow of Peyton Manning when he entered the league, and forced to sit behind first round bust Tim Couch in Cleveland despite the fact he posted gaudy numbers. He also lit up Pittsburgh in the playoffs, only to have the defense blow a 17 point lead he created.

I honestly could see another Flutie/Johnson scenario play out and it wouldn't surprise me. But realistically the rebuilding scenarios should play out no matter who starts. Holcomb is no Bledsoe, and Lossman has done nothing in this league.

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2005, 11:23 PM
If the Bills start 0-3, 0-4, 1-5, etc...there's not question you stick with Lossman. Because that is the only way you will no he's the answer(even though I already believe he's not).

But if you guys are around 1-2, 2-3, etc and he's playing terrible and the defense is keeping you in games.....no question you have to pull lossman for holcomb.

I know my bashing has been well documented but I will say this.....the best thing the bills could do this season is start holcomb and give lossman some more time to develop. Similar to what Coughlin did with the Giants, although that backfired in a major way despite being 5-4 at the time on Mannings insertion.

Kelly Holcomb is at least a proven QB who has passed for 300+ yard multiple times in his career. He was in the shadow of Peyton Manning when he entered the league, and forced to sit behind first round bust Tim Couch in Cleveland despite the fact he posted gaudy numbers. He also lit up Pittsburgh in the playoffs, only to have the defense blow a 17 point lead he created.

I honestly could see another Flutie/Johnson scenario play out and it wouldn't surprise me. But realistically the rebuilding scenarios should play out no matter who starts. Holcomb is no Bledsoe, and Lossman has done nothing in this league.

That is the first well thought out comment you've made....you actually make a good point...and I actually agree with you....:bf1:

Tinboy
07-19-2005, 04:01 AM
Let him stick, he's a future QB but need time to develop. I predict a 8-8 or 7-9 season this year and I'm fine with that. 2006, that's a different story...

Night Train
07-19-2005, 05:38 AM
I think Losman will have his growing pains and yet he will still be twice as effective as the inept Bledsoe. His affinity for completing passes to the turf has been replaced by a younger,talented player with an actual upside.

obi wan
07-19-2005, 07:06 AM

We have a very similar team to the Steelers. Look what their rookie qb did last year. I think he MAY struggle but with Big Bens season last year I dont think we have to say that a rookie MUST struggle in his first year.

Philagape
07-19-2005, 08:33 AM
That is the first well thought out comment you've made....you actually make a good point...and I actually agree with you....:bf1:

Even the part about Holcomb being "no Bledsoe" ... That's true because Holcomb is better! Being "no Bledsoe" is a good thing.

BillsFever21
07-19-2005, 08:39 AM
We gave Losman the keys to the Lexus. We can't let him drive half the distance and then put in the backseat driver to finish the trip.

New QB's will have growing pains. We can't bench him after 4 games when/if he struggles. That's not how you develop a QB.

Carson Palmer struggled the first half of last season and came on the 2nd half. He is primed for a good season this year because of it.

We will have to be patient through the tough times and hopefully enjoy the great times.

OpIv37
07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
If we keep saying it do you think they will ever listen? lol.

This team is going to win primarily with defense and a running game. .
you think we're going to win with a RUNNING GAME with the patchwork bunch of rejects from other teams we have on O-line? Our O-line is terrible. If we're going to win, Losman's gonna have to do something.

Bulldog
07-19-2005, 09:04 AM
I expect him to have a good not great season in Dallas. They're going to need to pass a lot and they've got a great set of receivers. I'd take him as a backup FF QB for sure.

The wr's in Dallas are far from great. Johnson is one of the most overrated wr's ever and Glenn is inconsistent at best. Dallas is going to try and win games much the same way Buffalo will. Pound the ball and let the defense control the game. As a result, Bledsoe's numbers will be average at best. And for the record, I would take Moulds & Evans all day over Johnson & Glenn. Bledsoe's saving grace might be having Witten to throw to.

HHURRICANE
07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
This is a playoff team. If you can't drive the Lexus than don't wreck the car. Do anything to win! With that said I can't think of one game where Bledsoe was the MVP or helped us win a game. His job was to not lose games, and unfortunately, I can think of three where he did that. I think Losman will be fine. As long as he is not losing us games (interceptions, fumbles, etc.) than stick with him. However, if he is giving the other team the ball on our 30 yard line than pull him and put in Holcomb. MM and TD do not have the luxury of a season where we do not make the playoffs. Sorry guys but this team has to make the playoffs. Period.:shout:

HAMMER
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
you think we're going to win with a RUNNING GAME with the patchwork bunch of rejects from other teams we have on O-line? Our O-line is terrible. If we're going to win, Losman's gonna have to do something.

I think you are incorrect in assuming our O-Line is terrible. They were pretty solid in the second half of last season, Bledsoe can make the best line look bad in pass protection. Give them and McNally a chance to prove themselves before you give up on them.