PDA

View Full Version : Nate or Willis?

jpdex12
07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Important decisions will have to be made in the next year. How much can we offer Nate and how much do we try to resign Willis for if he has another great year?
My assessment at this point is that Nate is a proven player, but a top notch CB is easier to replace or come close to replacing than a top notch RB. If I were to predict the unfolding of next year, I say that we get the deal done with Willis after the year, but Nate tries the open market of course with the ole franchise tag tattoed to his ass. We resign Terrence also.

One other thought, will we have cap room to keep Nate if we tag him and no suitors take him?

Let's hear it Zoners...what are your thoughts?

Captain Obvious
07-18-2005, 10:04 PM
If I had to choose between Willis mcGahee or Nate Clements, I would put a higher priority
on signing Willis McGahee. Franchise RB with superstar ability is more valuable than a probowl corner as good as Nate is.

FlyingDutchman
07-18-2005, 10:11 PM
I think you know my answer...I agree with Willis21, a dominant back can control games and ultimtely decide outcomes....

DraftBoy
07-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Simple, Willis

pleasesavedrew
07-18-2005, 10:16 PM
i hope TD realives the importance of having nate and reaiving hes vital to our defence

ParanoidAndroid
07-18-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm sure he does.

I just hope the priority goes to Willis. I'd like to watch some offense for a change.

The Spaz
07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
No question Willis.

tampabay25690
07-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Important decisions will have to be made in the next year. How much can we offer Nate and how much do we try to resign Willis for if he has another great year?
My assessment at this point is that Nate is a proven player, but a top notch CB is easier to replace or come close to replacing than a top notch RB. If I were to predict the unfolding of next year, I say that we get the deal done with Willis after the year, but Nate tries the open market of course with the ole franchise tag tattoed to his ass. We resign Terrence also.

One other thought, will we have cap room to keep Nate if we tag him and no suitors take him?

Let's hear it Zoners...what are your thoughts?

Well what would be the hole big deal about getting Henry out of here, of course the BILLS have put there priorities on WILLIS and they should!!!

jpdex12
07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Well what would be the hole big deal about getting Henry out of here, of course the BILLS have put there priorities on WILLIS and they should!!!
But you know what kind of jack Rosenhaus is going to want if Willis puts up 1500 yards this season. It's not a no brainer because of the ramifications of a contract that Rosenhaus will want. Will TD have the wallet to step up to the plate. I think Willis is the higher priority but there are more factors to think about than just getting Henry out of here to show that Willis is our man. If we think that Nate will command high pay, wait until we see what Willis will be worth.
It's gonna be interesting!

Sportsuser101
07-19-2005, 05:42 AM
Between the 2 I think its fairly obvious who we should keep. With that said I think we need to sign Nate long term before the season starts. We took a big chance on Willis. We got rid of our pro bowl back for him. Willis better live up to his contract for at least 2 more years and then if he plays as well as we think he will then we can talk about Portis type contract.

Kenny
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
I think it all depends on how Willis plays this season. But if he plays as well as we hope he does, I think priority goes to Willis.

Dont get me wrong... Nate's a good CB, maybe one of the top 5 in the league. But Willis is just special. I know we all talked about his 'potential' during the draft and his earlier years with us, but more and more, -it's looking like this 'potential' is turning into a reality.

Ickybaluky
07-19-2005, 07:48 AM
I would think the Buffalo would want to keep both of them.

I dont' think the Bills cap situation is such that they couldn't keep both of them if they wanted. Obviously, there is negotiating involved in finding terms agreeable to the player but structured in such a way to let the team balance the rest of their needs.

However, you probably would want to keep your best young players long-term. The cap issues can be managed and other players are repaceable, but if you have a top-notch CB (and return man) and a franchise RB it is in the team's best interest to sign them both.

EDS
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
I love Willis and all but I actually think it is easier to find a quality running back then it is to find a quality corner.

McGahee420
07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
This is the scenerio I hope to see pan out. I hope that we have a great year so that Willis realizes this. Then he understands that we should try to sign Nate back. Willis still has two more years on his contract, and TD will sign him before the beginning of next season. We should start talking to Nate now and see what he is interested in doing. I mean it will be a long shot for this too happen. If not, I say we go after Willis, like everyone is saying, a dominate back changes the game. Terrence McGee will be a star and we have some real quality back ups that could start on a lot of teams in greer and thomas. Anyways, I hope we can get both, but its going to be tough. TD is the man at working things out, so lets hope he can use some magic in this situation.

GO BILLS!!!

The Patriots reign is over:hang:

Tom Brady and Bill B------>:makeout: :lmao:

mysticsoto
07-19-2005, 08:06 AM
I love Willis and all but I actually think it is easier to find a quality running back then it is to find a quality corner. I disagree. I think Willis is in a class/level above and he proved it by taken the job away from Travis. And I also believe that our depth at CB is MUCH higher than our depth at RB. Jabari Greer may be ready to step up, he played decent last year. Eric King (the newly drafted kid) also seems to be one of those type A personalities that just doesn't give up until he's the best at something. He may emerge as a prospect to be in the starting lineup...next year - perhaps at nickel...

BillsFever21
07-19-2005, 08:17 AM
I love Willis and all but I actually think it is easier to find a quality running back then it is to find a quality corner.Agreed. RB's come and go and have a short shelf life. There won't be many like Willis but there will be enough good ones to fill a void. I still hope we can keep both.

By the time all this rolls around Losman would also need a new deal if he pans out which we all hope so.

We'll have new money freed up in the next couple years when guys like Moulds, Fletcher, Vincent and Milloy will move on. That should be enough money to sign all of them guys. The bad news means we would have to replace them guys with cheap rookies and hope they pan out to keep our defense strong.

BillsFever21
07-19-2005, 08:22 AM
If I would have to predict anything I would think that we will franchise Clements next season and trade him and try to sign Willis to a long term deal.

It's a given if Willis shines again this year he will be holding out for a fat contract.

I don't see why everyone blames Ronsenhaus for all the holdouts though. He works for the players and not the other way around. Ultimately the players can override him and have the final say in the matter. They are paying for his services. If they didn't wanna holdout there is nothing Rosenhaus could do about it. He can't make them. The players could drop him at anytime and sign on with a different agent if they didn't agree with him.

The players who sign up with Rosenhaus do it for one reason and that's because he's the best in his business and can get the biggest payday for them. Unfortunately Willis won't be any different.

Dantheman1280
07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
This is the scenerio I hope to see pan out. I hope that we have a great year so that Willis realizes this. Then he understands that we should try to sign Nate back. Willis still has two more years on his contract, and TD will sign him before the beginning of next season. We should start talking to Nate now and see what he is interested in doing. I mean it will be a long shot for this too happen. If not, I say we go after Willis, like everyone is saying, a dominate back changes the game. Terrence McGee will be a star and we have some real quality back ups that could start on a lot of teams in greer and thomas. Anyways, I hope we can get both, but its going to be tough. TD is the man at working things out, so lets hope he can use some magic in this situation.

GO BILLS!!!

The Patriots reign is over:hang:

Tom Brady and Bill B------>:makeout: :lmao:

As much as a big time running back changes the game we dont know that willis is big time yet and his knee will ALWAYS be a concern. Our depth at corner is suspect. Last year many people on this board were calling Mcgee "toast" because he has a tendency to get burned. As far as Thomas and greer they do not have the talent to start on any team! They have the potential to be solid nickle corners at best. We need nate, even though I believe that he is overrated as well.

McGahee420
07-19-2005, 11:57 AM
As much as a big time running back changes the game we dont know that willis is big time yet and his knee will ALWAYS be a concern. Our depth at corner is suspect. Last year many people on this board were calling Mcgee "toast" because he has a tendency to get burned. As far as Thomas and greer they do not have the talent to start on any team! They have the potential to be solid nickle corners at best. We need nate, even though I believe that he is overrated as well.
I hear ya, but it was McGee's first year as a starter. I guess Nate came in and was pro bowl material right away, well at least that's the way you are making it sound. It takes playing time and practice to get better, and if thomas and greer start to get more. i think they can turn into be solid CB's that will help contribute to our already dominating D. As for Willis, yes his knee is suspect, but we already traded Henry and Willis has proved he can play still, so therefore I think we really need to consider a long term deal with him. TD didnt draft him thinking he was going to blow his knee out everytime he touched the ball, but as a superstar in the making trying to prove everyone wrong about that. Nate maybe overrated in your eyes, but in my opinion, he has only gotten better every year we had him, and right now he is in his prime and I think will be a top 5 corner this year. But that's my opinion.

GO BILLS!!!!!

McGahee420
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I think it all depends on how Willis plays this season. But if he plays as well as we hope he does, I think priority goes to Willis.

Dont get me wrong... Nate's a good CB, maybe one of the top 5 in the league. But Willis is just special. I know we all talked about his 'potential' during the draft and his earlier years with us, but more and more, -it's looking like this 'potential' is turning into a reality.
I think you nailed it bro, I think we should all stop doubting his knee and realize we have a stud in the back field. A stud that has the best stiff arm ive ever seen.

jpdex12
07-19-2005, 10:03 PM
If I would have to predict anything I would think that we will franchise Clements next season and trade him and try to sign Willis to a long term deal.

It's a given if Willis shines again this year he will be holding out for a fat contract.

I don't see why everyone blames Ronsenhaus for all the holdouts though. He works for the players and not the other way around. Ultimately the players can override him and have the final say in the matter. They are paying for his services. If they didn't wanna holdout there is nothing Rosenhaus could do about it. He can't make them. The players could drop him at anytime and sign on with a different agent if they didn't agree with him.

The players who sign up with Rosenhaus do it for one reason and that's because he's the best in his business and can get the biggest payday for them. Unfortunately Willis won't be any different.
Man, TO signed Drew to represent him. Drew more less signed a broker of record change which means that he handles all of TO's deals but TO's old agent still gets the commission. That is a primary factor as to why TO was happier than a pig in **** last year and now this year, Drew is going to get him more $$ so Drew gets some commission. It helps that Drew knows how to pump up his clients egos and make them feel that they are worth more.

Rosenhaus is a friggin snake. He's looking out for himself. Why would he give a **** about his client's status with the fans or NFL FO's? Look at how TO has lost some credibility with fans, FO personell and some players. Javon Walker is in the same shoes with Drew. In the end, wouldn't you think that these guys would want to be known for their heroic play coming off of a broken leg and playing in a super bowl rather than being known for being two faced and holding out?

Konyeezie
07-20-2005, 02:21 AM
but a top notch CB is easier to replace or come close to replacing than a top notch RB.
I disagree. Lockdown CB's may be the toughest thing to find in the modern NFL.

That said I'd rather have Willis if we had to choose between them, but Nate deserves to get paid first. He has honored his contract and if Willis holds out after 2 seasons then that's just greedy (but he liekly will and that's the reality).

I'm sure we'll be able to lock them both up though.

clumping platelets
07-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Bills can afford both

colin
07-20-2005, 08:03 AM
if these guys are top 5 at thier positions, and i think they can be, then we should throw the kitchen sink at them.

altho he has been criticised and with good reason, TD is still a very good talent evaluator.

if we have true impact players there, and over producing young guys, i think our organization is in a very good way. the previous bills teams that played at a high level relied on old vets performing well, but you need to get guys out BEFORE they are over the hill, and you need to sign the great ones.

basically, us overpaying for ken irvine, J reimersma, parker, and so on, forced us to purge washington, wiley, smith, thomas, cowart, and had dead cap space. by not popping money into pat williams, jonas jennings, antoine, and not paying sky high for schobel, we let our young guys step up and fill in and really put ourselves in position to sign our top guys and even go out and grab another if there is one out there.

it comes down to our lines holding it together and JP capitalising on scoring chances, i'm not concerned about nate or willis really.