• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Philisophical Troll
    Take my dating advice, it worked for me on my sister :up:
    • Jul 2005

Bills Offensive Line: A Philisophical Perspective

Bills fans, it has been brought to my attention that this ragtag bunch of misfits is expected to protect young JP Lossman and open holes for Willis Mcgimpknee this upcoming season. But the burning question on a Philisophical Troll's mind is can this unit really get it done? After a thorough assessment, my answer is a resounding NO!!

Lets start by breaking down each position player by player:

Left Tackle: Grade F , Bills lost best lineman Jennings to free agency. LT is a premium position in this league and Bills will pay dearly.

1) Mike Gandy: is it safe to assume that if the season started today that his journeyman would be starting? I think so, this is problem number one. Problem number 2 is this guy spends more time on the injured list then the field.

2) Jason Peters: Great special teams player, but is he a TE or Tackle??. He's clearly not an NFL starter, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him play TE since the Bills have no viable player at that position.

3) Justin Geisinger: This years six rounder from Vandy has been hailed as a sleeper, so expect him to see time at this position as the Bills coaching staff plays musical chairs trying to replace Jennings.

4) Geir Gudmundsen: Rookie Free Agent from Albany. Had a solid career for a division I-AA squad, but likely destined to be an early camp cut.

Left Guard: Grade D-, Anderson leads the way in this group but that isn't saying much.

1) Ross Tucker: Played quite a bit of special teams, and was put in on goaline situations. But the bottom line is that he's shown me nothing to indicate he's a good NFL Lineman.

2) Lawrence Smith: Started the first few games last season as McNally and company were trying to find the right fit. But he made some terrible plays, and looked lost at times. The bottom line: A waste of roster space.

3) Bennie Anderson: Likely the starter come opening day. Bills fans will argue he was part of a unit that helped Jamal Lewis rush for 2000 yards a few years ago, but he was the weak link none the less. This guy is definitely overrated, and his blocking can be atrocious at times especially against premeir defenders. He fits in perfectly on this team.

Center: Grade D+ , The most critical position on the line, yet the Bills insist on starting a guy that belongs at left tackle there.

1) Trey Teague: incumbent TT is praised for his so called athleticism and versatility, but you could have fooled me. I've yet to see any of this on the field. This guy made way too many bad snaps the last few years directly attributing to Bledsoe sacks and turnovers. But this is the starter Mcnally and company are putting in front of Lossman.

2) Duke Preston: This 4th round draft pick from Illinois remains an also renmains an unknown, but if he shows something in camp he could have a chance to see playing time on this pourous unit.

Right Guard: Grade C-, Bills fans knew that replacing legedary pro bowl guard big bad Ruben Brown would take time. But I'm not sure they've found the answers yet.

1) Chris Villarrial: The only Bills lineman to start the entire season last year. had his moments and looks like a solid veteran most of the time, but did show flashes of classic sloppy Bills lineman play too. The question is how much does he have left? And what happens if he gets hurt because there's not much depth here.

2) Greg Jerman: Bills signed this bench warmer from Miami who also had one of the worst lines in the league last year. My question: Why? This guy might not even make the team but who knows with this unit.

3) Ben Sobieski: Former Iowa product is relative unknown but he probably won't even make the team this year.

Right Tackle: Grade C-, Might be the strongest position on this entire unit.

1) Mike Williams: The former #4 overall pick in the 02 draft has not lived up to the hype or status. He has looked solid at times, and appeared to come on last year, but he needs to have a dominant pro bowl season this year to avoid the bust label. The question is will he do it? I think not.

2) Dylan Macfarland: If he makes the roster he's nothing more than a 3rd stringer. Was inactive a majority of last season.

3) David Pruce: Local UB Product and NFL Europe All-Star will likely fight to make the Bills roster this season and fail.

Coaching, Grade D: Many Bills fans and even some respected coaches around the league have praised Jim "Moose" Mc Nally for his work ethic and dedication, but a philisophical troll fails to see what this guy has accomplished here in Buffalo with his roster of underachievers and misfits.

In conclusion we see the right side of the line is the strength of this unit. So Mcgimpknee better stick to that side if he wants to have success. There is no doubt in my mind that the Bills will sorely miss Jennings, and they need to think about another option at center if Teague continues to struggle. The Bottom line is this unit has not improved from a year ago and it will be a hinderance to the development of young JP Lossman and Willis Mcgimpknee as they try to make plays on a depleted offensive unit. Expect a lot of sacks, turnovers, false starts, holding penalities and trademark sloppy play from this line. Whoever replaces Donahoe next year needs to make this one of their top priorties. After all rebuildling starts in the trenches my friends.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills Offensive Line: A Philisophical Perspective

Originally posted by Philisophical Troll
    This guy made way too many bad snaps the last few years directly attributing to Bledsoe sacks and turnovers.
    It's was all Teague's fault!!
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

This message is hidden because Philisophical Troll is on your ignore list.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

We don't give a flying **** what you say!

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Objective and up to date ratings of offensive lines aren't reall easy to come by on the internet, and the Pathetic Troll certainly hasn't provided that here. Most I've seen place the Bills line in the middle of the pack. I think we'll see the Dallas line give up more sacks than the Buffalo line this year.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
            • Apr 2005

Once again the phillisophical moron has spent 20 mins. writing down his worthless opinion about offensive linemen whom he knows nothing about. Have you ever seen any of these guys play?...Or are you just regergetating information you've looked up and added your ignorant twist? Mcnally is one of the top offensive line coaches in the league, everyone knows that...so keep your mindless statements to yourself, and have fun watching Drew Bledsoe be the most sacked QB in the league!!

Comment

• AndreReed83
              Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
              • Mar 2004

Apparently the word dumb@ss has been replaced with the word philisophical.

I'd say Vallarial outplayed Ruben last season. Easily.

Anderson's pass blocking has been knocked, but he's acknowledged as a great run blocker.

You obviously don't understand that Jennings was overpayed for by the 49ers. Of course, as a Dallas fan, you couldn't possibly understand that concept, because your owner sure as hell doesn't. Marcellus Wiley anyone? A Bills castaway. Nice pickup Dallas...

Mike Gandy. If he plays above average or just plain average, then he's a steal, especially for his salary. If he does bad, then he gets replaced after this year in either free agency or the draft, and he becomes a good backup. Also remember, Gandy was actually drafted around the same time Jennings was. The potential is there for Gandy to become something. Jonas Jennings was only a slightly above average LT with injury problems. He wanted a longterm deal worth a lot of money. I'd rather have Mike Gandy stop-gap for one season and get a player just as good, if not better then Jennings the next year, then keep a slightly above average, over-expensive, injury prone player for 5 to 6 years. That's how you get into salary cap HELL.

I myself don't think Mike Williams needs to make the Pro Bowl in order to not be called a bust. Buffalo is a small market team. It's hard for players from here to make it. Mike just needs to play like he can and put out 100% every play. So far this offseason, he has done so by getting into shape.

Wanna talk about a player not progressing, look at Dallas' Roy Williams. Sure, he can tackle and yes he makes great plays every now and then but he gets burned in pass coverage a LOT more then the media talks about. I can't believe how some people even call that little horse collar tackle Williams makes a strategy. He has to do that because he gets burned. BTW, now that he can't do that anymore without taking a penalty, expect to give up lots of penalties, yards, touchdowns, and trademark Dallas secondary play from last season.

Duke Preston and Sobieski are unknowns...? Wow. Sobieski WILL make the team and Duke has a good shot at starting in the future, in my opinion. This isn't saying much but NCAA Football 2005 has Duke rated as a 95. Apparently SOMEONE had heard of his great play before the Bills drafted him.

The absolute stupidest thing you wrote was about McNally. Seriously, look at it for a second. Although he is praised among players and other COACHES for his great work, YOU, a person who could NEVER coach in the league, disagree with every other COACH in the NFL. I'm going to let that soak into you for a second ...............................................................................................

Also, Losman probably will have his rough spots this year. Even when Big Ben for the Steelers won all those games in a row last season, he certainly let his play show that he was a rookie at times. But the importatnt thing about Losman is that he is a QB of the future. The BILLS QB of the future. Who is Dallas' QB of the future. Certainly isn't Bledsoe. He'll be gone after two years, if NOT before then. Who else is there? Drew Henson?! Nice... hey, here's an idea Jerry Jones. STOP PICKING UP EX-BASEBALL PLAYERS TO PLAY QB. Get a real football player instead. Too bad you guys are in the pathetic NFC and thus, you are garuanteed to not finish last in the league, so you could get a guy like Lineart. But you never know with Bledsoe on your team. He could drag you down that far. You all weren't that far away from the number 1 overall to begin with. Heck, your best starter at QB this century has been QUINCY CARTER. Enough said.

Oh yea, about McGimpKnee, look at your darn starting RB. I'm man enough to acknowledge his talent, but he's a small back too, and he has been pretty injury prone himself. So, SHUT UP.

Also, don't call me a "friend" and you can mention the super bowl rings Dallas has but how many super bowl rings do YOU have personally... the same amount as me, and everyone else on this board.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
              "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

When the Troll gives McNally a D, you know that he is simply spewing his usual nonsense.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Philisophical Troll
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                  Apparently the word dumb@ss has been replaced with the word philisophical.

I'd say Vallarial outplayed Ruben last season. Easily.

Anderson's pass blocking has been knocked, but he's acknowledged as a great run blocker.

You obviously don't understand that Jennings was overpayed for by the 49ers. Of course, as a Dallas fan, you couldn't possibly understand that concept, because your owner sure as hell doesn't. Marcellus Wiley anyone? A Bills castaway. Nice pickup Dallas...

Mike Gandy. If he plays above average or just plain average, then he's a steal, especially for his salary. If he does bad, then he gets replaced after this year in either free agency or the draft, and he becomes a good backup. Also remember, Gandy was actually drafted around the same time Jennings was. The potential is there for Gandy to become something. Jonas Jennings was only a slightly above average LT with injury problems. He wanted a longterm deal worth a lot of money. I'd rather have Mike Gandy stop-gap for one season and get a player just as good, if not better then Jennings the next year, then keep a slightly above average, over-expensive, injury prone player for 5 to 6 years. That's how you get into salary cap HELL.

I myself don't think Mike Williams needs to make the Pro Bowl in order to not be called a bust. Buffalo is a small market team. It's hard for players from here to make it. Mike just needs to play like he can and put out 100% every play. So far this offseason, he has done so by getting into shape.

Wanna talk about a player not progressing, look at Dallas' Roy Williams. Sure, he can tackle and yes he makes great plays every now and then but he gets burned in pass coverage a LOT more then the media talks about. I can't believe how some people even call that little horse collar tackle Williams makes a strategy. He has to do that because he gets burned. BTW, now that he can't do that anymore without taking a penalty, expect to give up lots of penalties, yards, touchdowns, and trademark Dallas secondary play from last season.

Duke Preston and Sobieski are unknowns...? Wow. Sobieski WILL make the team and Duke has a good shot at starting in the future, in my opinion. This isn't saying much but NCAA Football 2005 has Duke rated as a 95. Apparently SOMEONE had heard of his great play before the Bills drafted him.

The absolute stupidest thing you wrote was about McNally. Seriously, look at it for a second. Although he is praised among players and other COACHES for his great work, YOU, a person who could NEVER coach in the league, disagree with every other COACH in the NFL. I'm going to let that soak into you for a second ...............................................................................................

Also, Losman probably will have his rough spots this year. Even when Big Ben for the Steelers won all those games in a row last season, he certainly let his play show that he was a rookie at times. But the importatnt thing about Losman is that he is a QB of the future. The BILLS QB of the future. Who is Dallas' QB of the future. Certainly isn't Bledsoe. He'll be gone after two years, if NOT before then. Who else is there? Drew Henson?! Nice... hey, here's an idea Jerry Jones. STOP PICKING UP EX-BASEBALL PLAYERS TO PLAY QB. Get a real football player instead. Too bad you guys are in the pathetic NFC and thus, you are garuanteed to not finish last in the league, so you could get a guy like Lineart. But you never know with Bledsoe on your team. He could drag you down that far. You all weren't that far away from the number 1 overall to begin with. Heck, your best starter at QB this century has been QUINCY CARTER. Enough said.

Oh yea, about McGimpKnee, look at your darn starting RB. I'm man enough to acknowledge his talent, but he's a small back too, and he has been pretty injury prone himself. So, SHUT UP.

Also, don't call me a "friend" and you can mention the super bowl rings Dallas has but how many super bowl rings do YOU have personally... the same amount as me, and everyone else on this board.
                  I offer my expertise and an unbiased analysis and this is what I get? First off there's no question that SF overpaid for Jennings, but they realize the importance at the LT position. There isn't many good ones in the game, period.

Marcellus Wiley was a bad move, Dallas has made many bad moves I've never said they were perfect either. But according to you Bills fans getting him was a horrible decision. I know we are not perfect, but no team in the league is except the Patriots.

Mike Gandy is a journeyman at best. If he struggled on a Bears what should that tell you? Especially considering the fact that Minny, GB and Detroit all have horrible defenses. Now can you imagine what will happen when he sees NE, NY and Mia D's twice a year? It can and will get ugly...

Man how can you say Big Mike isn't a bust. He was a the FOURTH OVERALL PICK? When you are a lineman drafted that high there is serious expectations. Especially considering you guys could have had a number of great players instead. Ed Reed anybody? Williams has not played close the hype, and if he doesnt' break out this year its time to send him packing, especially considering the money he makes.

As far as Roy Williams, I'm not even touching it because you have no idea what your talking about. This kid is a bonafide stud, and to say he's not improving is ludicrous. He will no doubt be a all pro this year and is the best player on our defense IMO

I don't care what you say about this Mcnally guy but he's not among the top coaches in the league. Sure he might be a great guy, but he's not gettting the job done.

Yes Henson is a bust IMO, but we are attempting to win now that is why Bledsoe was brought in. Lossman is going to struggle mightily, there is no question about it especially since he has to play the pats and jets twice. Also some very good NFC teams this year, and the AFC West is vastly improved as well.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I offer my expertise and an unbiased analysis and this is what I get?
                    (crickets)
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bulldog
                      Top Dog
                      • Jan 2003

I offer my expertise and an unbiased analysis and this is what I get? First off there's no question that SF overpaid for Jennings, but they realize the importance at the LT position. There isn't many good ones in the game, period.

Marcellus Wiley was a bad move, Dallas has made many bad moves I've never said they were perfect either. But according to you Bills fans getting him was a horrible decision. I know we are not perfect, but no team in the league is except the Patriots.

Mike Gandy is a journeyman at best. If he struggled on a Bears what should that tell you? Especially considering the fact that Minny, GB and Detroit all have horrible defenses. Now can you imagine what will happen when he sees NE, NY and Mia D's twice a year? It can and will get ugly...

Man how can you say Big Mike isn't a bust. He was a the FOURTH OVERALL PICK? When you are a lineman drafted that high there is serious expectations. Especially considering you guys could have had a number of great players instead. Ed Reed anybody? Williams has not played close the hype, and if he doesnt' break out this year its time to send him packing, especially considering the money he makes.

As far as Roy Williams, I'm not even touching it because you have no idea what your talking about. This kid is a bonafide stud, and to say he's not improving is ludicrous. He will no doubt be a all pro this year and is the best player on our defense IMO

I don't care what you say about this Mcnally guy but he's not among the top coaches in the league. Sure he might be a great guy, but he's not gettting the job done.

Yes Henson is a bust IMO, but we are attempting to win now that is why Bledsoe was brought in. Lossman is going to struggle mightily, there is no question about it especially since he has to play the pats and jets twice. Also some very good NFC teams this year, and the AFC West is vastly improved as well.
                      You need to stop talking out of your @ss. Seriously, how many Bills games have you seen the past three years? I've heard many EXPERTS say that McNally is one of the best OL coaches in the league. But I guess we should value you opinion more than theirs? With regards to Mike Williams, he started to come on during the second half of last season and I expect his improvement to continue. Reports are that he's in some of the best shape of his Bills tenure. My only question for you is why did Dallas bring Bledsoe in if the goal was to make the playoffs this year? Keep living the dream that Bledsoe is going to save the day. Truth of the matter is that Bledsoe is average on a good day, and thats still better than what Dallas had before his arrival. Parcells signing Bledsoe is a desperation move to save his own @ss. Face it, Parcells pretty much sucks without Belichick.
                      I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                        Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                        • Mar 2004

What? Don't like to hear the truth about your teams short-comings? I figured it would feel right at home for you, seeing as that's all you do... and then make up a lot more by your own creation.

I explained why we didn't retain JJ. Keeping a player like him for the salary and years he wanted is how you take a team into salary cap hell. I'll take a LT in the draft, which is loaded with very good LT prospects, thank you very much.

I think Mike Gandy can be fine in this league. Probably NOT LT starting material, but with the coaching of McNally, Gandy can definitely become a nice addition to the Bills line. Btw, about GB, Det, and Minny. Have you looked at some of their D-line players from last year? Not too shabby right?

I don't care what YOU say about McNally. Other players and coaches think he is great. And he is great at line coaching. Our line improved vastly late in the season.

Oh, so the Bills make a "bad" move and you are quick to point them out but as SOON as I point out ONE of your teams bad moves it's "Oh everybody makes bad moves..." blah blah blah.

So, if Mike Williams plays great this year and beyond, he's still a bust, because of the first three years of his career. Riiiight.... next subject.

I see Roy Williams a lot. He can tackle. He can rush the QB. He can make exciting plays. I like him. But I've watched him since his days in Sooner-ville and this is the simple fact. HE STINKS IN COVERAGE. I agree with you that he will make the probowl, because he makes 100 tackles a year. But he's not making any probowl because of his pass defending skills.

If Losman does struggle, at least he has the excuse of being basically a rookie. Of course he will have his rough spots. But Bledsoe is the one who is going to struggle mightily. Seeing as he faces the Eagles and the Redskins defense twice a year. That's about 8 to 10 turnovers in itself says a AndreReed83.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                        "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Philagape
                          WIN NOW
                          • Jul 2002

I offer my expertise and an unbiased analysis and this is what I get?
                          Just what exactly makes you an expert? Anyone who thinks The Failure is a "god among men," or that Henry is better than McGahee, is the opposite of an expert. That shows nothing but ignorance and bias. That makes anything else you say worthless, to the point where if I agreed with you on something, I'd have to re-examine my own opinion.
                          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Philisophical Troll
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                            What? Don't like to hear the truth about your teams short-comings? I figured it would feel right at home for you, seeing as that's all you do... and then make up a lot more by your own creation.

I explained why we didn't retain JJ. Keeping a player like him for the salary and years he wanted is how you take a team into salary cap hell. I'll take a LT in the draft, which is loaded with very good LT prospects, thank you very much.

I think Mike Gandy can be fine in this league. Probably NOT LT starting material, but with the coaching of McNally, Gandy can definitely become a nice addition to the Bills line. Btw, about GB, Det, and Minny. Have you looked at some of their D-line players from last year? Not too shabby right?

I don't care what YOU say about McNally. Other players and coaches think he is great. And he is great at line coaching. Our line improved vastly late in the season.

Oh, so the Bills make a "bad" move and you are quick to point them out but as SOON as I point out ONE of your teams bad moves it's "Oh everybody makes bad moves..." blah blah blah.

So, if Mike Williams plays great this year and beyond, he's still a bust, because of the first three years of his career. Riiiight.... next subject.

I see Roy Williams a lot. He can tackle. He can rush the QB. He can make exciting plays. I like him. But I've watched him since his days in Sooner-ville and this is the simple fact. HE STINKS IN COVERAGE. I agree with you that he will make the probowl, because he makes 100 tackles a year. But he's not making any probowl because of his pass defending skills.

If Losman does struggle, at least he has the excuse of being basically a rookie. Of course he will have his rough spots. But Bledsoe is the one who is going to struggle mightily. Seeing as he faces the Eagles and the Redskins defense twice a year. That's about 8 to 10 turnovers in itself says a AndreReed83.
                            Jennings was the best player on your line, and mcnally will recognize that this season when you struggle mightily at the LT position scrambling for answers. Mike Gandy is not the answer sorry. As far as Mcnally if his line can protect lossman this year and open holes for mcgimp than I was wrong. I just don't feel he did anything impressive his first year in buffalo.

Once again we all make bad moves, however i feel your organiation is being destroy by the idiot GM in your front office. If you guys truly care about your team you will revolt ASAP and get this clown booted to the curb where he belongs. Dallas has made some sickening decisions as well the last few years, but this year many good ones will offset last years failures.

If Big Mike steps to teh plate this season and has a great career than no he is not a bust. My argument is taht when you are picked that high in the draft and called the best player overall that year.....you need to be a stud out the gate, not 4 years later. That is why I feel he will only be average at best, even if he makes a probowl or two but will see what the future holds.

Roy has improved his coverage significantly since his rookie season and I agree he still needs to get better to be the best in the game.

Lossman will struggle, but if he is what you people believe he is(and I don't) than he could be great SOMEDAY, but not this year or next sorry. The bottom line is tommy boy put the final nail in the coffin by releasing Bledsoe when this team was on the brink of greatness. If the bills had won the pittsburgh game we wouldn't even be talking about lossman and he would still be holding drew's jockstrap. The bills would have made it all the way to the AFC Championship and gotten crushed by NE had they won the most important game of the season at HOME. But they didnt' and things happened for a reason i suppose.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                              • Apr 2005

I agree Big Mike has not lived up to his potential...actaully on draft day, I was screaming for Mckiene...Its no coincidence that Mike is turning it up a notch with Mcnally coaching him....I think and hope he will continue to make progress under one of the best offensive line coaches in the league..

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍