PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News. Smoky Williams to return to NFL

Gunzlingr
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Williams to Report to Dolphins July 24

Keven Lerner, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports RB Ricky Williams is expected to report to the Miami Dolphins for the first day of training camp, according to an NFL.com report. Official conversations regarding his reinstatement to the NFL will take place later this week, but Williams is expected to report to camp Sunday, July 24. His return is two days from the one-year anniversary that he abruptly retired. Williams will also be granted a two-day exemption on the condition that he will continue complying with the NFL's drug testing system.

I will look for an official link.

Jayhawk
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
they'd better have alot of munchies.

justasportsfan
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
I will look for an official link.No need, just pass the bong.

Gunzlingr
07-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Doesn't he have to serve a suspension?

justasportsfan
07-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Doesn't he have to serve a suspension?
4 game suspension .

Gunzlingr
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
4 game suspension .
I thought that was compounded if he came back from "retirement"

Static
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I thought that was compounded if he came back from "retirement"

that would have been the case if he came back before july

Jayhawk
07-19-2005, 03:06 PM
no that was if he came back before July 15.

Pride
07-19-2005, 03:18 PM
wow.. the afce RB competition just got a little more extreme!

Dillon, McGahee, Martin, and Williams? wow!

At first glance, I am not bothered by this, as I feel he wont be the same guy... but as I think about it, he may come back in better shape...

Jan Reimers
07-19-2005, 03:19 PM
He should be about as popular with his teammates as a case of the clap.

Mr. Miyagi
07-19-2005, 03:19 PM
no that was if he came back before July 15.
If he came back before having retired for one year, it'd be a year long suspension. That's why he needed that 2 day exemption.

Mr. Miyagi
07-19-2005, 03:20 PM
In that case he should be traded to Atlanta.

Static
07-19-2005, 03:31 PM

At first glance, I am not bothered by this, as I feel he wont be the same guy... but as I think about it, he may come back in better shape...

Well you may not have to worry about the dolphin ground game just yet cause

a. ricky wont be avalible till week 5
b. ronnie brown's agent is waiting for alex smith to sign his contract

so that may mean Gordon would start the season. I believe he will be better than last year, but he doesn't put any fear into opposing teams

Meathead
07-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Plus the Miami line is still weak and their QB play is likely to be mediocre. Even the defense will likely be weaker with advancing age and spotty depth.

Even if Ricky came back and was the moster he used to be, he can't make that any better than a 6-10 team this season.

Philisophical Troll
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Williams to Report to Dolphins July 24

Keven Lerner, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports RB Ricky Williams is expected to report to the Miami Dolphins for the first day of training camp, according to an NFL.com report. Official conversations regarding his reinstatement to the NFL will take place later this week, but Williams is expected to report to camp Sunday, July 24. His return is two days from the one-year anniversary that he abruptly retired. Williams will also be granted a two-day exemption on the condition that he will continue complying with the NFL's drug testing system.

I will look for an official link.
If this is true that's bad news for Bills fans and he rest of the league. Ricky owns the Bills defense, and Ronnie Brown is going to be a superstar. If this joker gets smoked out look for him to run wild this year against the Bills depleted D-Line.

FlyingDutchman
07-19-2005, 04:27 PM
If this is true that's bad news for Bills fans and he rest of the league. Ricky owns the Bills defense, and Ronnie Brown is going to be a superstar. If this joker gets smoked out look for him to run wild this year against the Bills depleted D-Line.

Just like Clinton, Tiki, and Westbrook will run all over a depleted Dallas team:sorry:

Tatonka
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM

:roflmao:

classic!

:posrep:

Bill Brasky
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM

He's down to like 195 pounds. I almost weigh that much!

Nublar7
07-19-2005, 05:08 PM
He's down to like 195 pounds. I almost weigh that much!Nope, he is at 215.

Kerr
07-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, he put on weight.

BAM
07-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Within the last 2 days, I've heard/seen 185, 195, 200, 215.. which is it?

cordog
07-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Depends on how many twinkies and funions he eats the night before.

Nublar7
07-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Within the last 2 days, I've heard/seen 185, 195, 200, 215.. which is it?215 is the correct number. Anybody that says less hasn't seen the recent reports.

Samphin1
07-19-2005, 07:00 PM

The most recent reports have him at 215 and working with a personal trainer to pack on even more. The 215 number was from reports about two weeks back, so he could, in reality, be a little bit heavier now.

Personally, I wish he had stayed retired. I think he is talented as all hell but I don't want him on the team after what he did. I don't foresee anything but 500 yards max for him this season. Barring an injury to Ronnie Brown of course.

From a talent standpoint, you have to like Miami's backfield. Brown, Williams, Gordon and Kay Jay Harris at the HB position ( I think Minor will be cut ) and Sammy Morris, and Evans at the FB spot. Of course, the FB spot isn't really going to matter seeing how Linehan's offense doesn't really use it...but whatever.

We will see come Sunday though how Ricky looks...

feelthepain
07-19-2005, 08:23 PM
The most recent reports have him at 215 and working with a personal trainer to pack on even more. The 215 number was from reports about two weeks back, so he could, in reality, be a little bit heavier now.

Personally, I wish he had stayed retired. I think he is talented as all hell but I don't want him on the team after what he did. I don't foresee anything but 500 yards max for him this season. Barring an injury to Ronnie Brown of course.

From a talent standpoint, you have to like Miami's backfield. Brown, Williams, Gordon and Kay Jay Harris at the HB position ( I think Minor will be cut ) and Sammy Morris, and Evans at the FB spot. Of course, the FB spot isn't really going to matter seeing how Linehan's offense doesn't really use it...but whatever.

We will see come Sunday though how Ricky looks...
Myself, I'm glad he's back, I think no matter what, we have talent in the backfield. Even without Ricky, so having a guy who put up over 3100 yrds. in two seasons has talent and won't be fazed to much by the year off.We all know the talent is still their and I think the desire is too. Ricky has had a long time to back out and head for the hills, but all the reports are he is doing what he needs to do to make the squad and be productive and I'll bet a million bucks he's had a drug test. Before the league would even think to reinstate him.

All signs are pointing to a serious return and all that does is help the fins. An experienced RB that has Ricky's talent will help a young line with their confidence by making his own wholes and running through arm tackles. Ricky should be faster, he's lighter and he's had a year of rest. If ricky would have broken a leg or sholder and missed all of last year no one would be questioning his ability.

The way it stands QB is our biggest concern on O, not the line. And the only reason is because of the poor coaching and game plans being used last year. It may have seemed AJ was the reason for the problems last year, but I watched every game and when I can tell you what play was going to be called 90% of the time....on both sides of the ball, then I'd say the Fins comp. knew as well.

If you know whats coming your odds of winning in the NFL increase significantly. If you notice how many Int's Feeley had where the defender was in better position then the WR, that should be a hint that the D knows what coming. Yet as poorly coached an perdictable as we were, we still were in all but two games last year.

Ricky will be a great addition IMO.

pleasesavedrew
07-19-2005, 10:44 PM
on NFL Live today they said that the Dolphins plan to have Ronny Brown as there starter, that leads me to belive they'll try to unload Williams, although I can't think of any one that needs a running back besides Jacksonville and maybe Minnesota.

Samphin1
07-20-2005, 08:36 AM
on NFL Live today they said that the Dolphins plan to have Ronny Brown as there starter, that leads me to belive they'll try to unload Williams, although I can't think of any one that needs a running back besides Jacksonville and maybe Minnesota.

I doubt it. The trading deadline is week 6 and the Dolphins play their fourth game in week 5. That gives Miami exactly one week to showoff Ricky to other teams. The odds that another team will be desperate for a RB the same week we can show Ricky off, and assuming Ricky plays a good game that week, are slim. Most likely they hold onto him for this year and then unload him next year.

Besides, perhaps Ronnie Brown busts or gets injured. If you trade Ricky this year, you are right back to square one like you were last year.

Mr. Cynical
07-20-2005, 08:48 AM
on NFL Live today they said that the Dolphins plan to have Ronny Brown as there starter, that leads me to belive they'll try to unload Williams, although I can't think of any one that needs a running back besides Jacksonville and maybe Minnesota.I think that is a good guess. Unless Ricky blows the door of the hinges (instead of a bong) and really makes an impact in camp, I think they will clean him up and trade him away to another team. May as well get something for him if they can. Look how many chances Lawrence Phillips got....RW is due for one more I think, but not on the fins.