X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Should we extend Fletcher?

If I'm not mitaken, this is Fletcher's 4th year in buffalo and he signed a 4 year deal. You don't hear anything from One Bills drive about extending him. Are the Bills ready to let him go after this season? Who is his backup any way? Fletcher is hitting 30 or 31 right?

Also is Posey hitting UFA status next year, too? Did he sign a 4 year or 3 year deal with the Bills?
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Should we extend Fletcher?

i think if he wants to stay for cheap, then fine.. but if not, let him go. we have young talent at LB that has not seen the field.. i like josh stamer alot. i also want crowell to get on the field before his damn contract is over.. he was a 3rd rounder who hasnt sniffed the field (fortunately, our LBs have stayed healthy).

while fletcher is good, i never thought he was elite.. he is just solid. good intensity, good tackler, bad incoverage... pretty much what you expect for the price we paid him.

i would actually like to see TKO move to the middle, and put stamer in TKOs spot.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
      • Mar 2003

While we have good to great backup LB'ers for special teams I don't see any of them having the consistency and tenacity that Fletcher has brought to this team. Besides can't argue with with tackling ability the last 5 years he has averaged over 112 tackles also 3-4 sacks a year as well.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

I think most people don't give Fletcher enough credit. That being said, I think we have talent with Josh Stamer and even this new guy - Ezekiel that the Bills seem to like alot. If Fletcher makes it cheap on us, we should keep him. If he makes demands...let him go. But somehow I doubt he will.

With the way TD and our FO seems to work, they will probably let Fletcher's contract expire and give a chance to some of the new blood to see what they can do. We have some good depth at LB and CB!!!

Comment

• BillsFever21
          • Aug 2004

Fletcher is a Top 10 MLB in the league. I'd hate to lose him.

The guy has been in the Top 5 in tackles every year since he arrived here. He's also a great leader on our team.

There isn't anyone on the team right now that could come close to replacing him.

Comment

• cordog
            eat, drink, and be merry
            • Apr 2003

Im pretty sure Fletcher signed a 5 year deal

Comment

• mybills
              81 st zoner
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
              While we have good to great backup LB'ers for special teams I don't see any of them having the consistency and tenacity that Fletcher has brought to this team. Besides can't argue with with tackling ability the last 5 years he has averaged over 112 tackles also 3-4 sacks a year as well.
              I agree. I love L.F.!
              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• The_Philster
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by cordog
                Im pretty sure Fletcher signed a 5 year deal
                I believe you're right...he's not listed as a 2006 Free agent on Bills Daily
                The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• cordog
                  eat, drink, and be merry
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                  I believe you're right...he's not listed as a 2006 Free agent on Bills Daily
                  Yeah im almost positive it was a 5 yr. 15 mil. deal. Pretty good deal by the way.

Comment

• The_Philster
                    • Jul 2002

5 yrs; $15.925 Million to be exact
                    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Fletcher is one of those guys who doesn't get enough credit for how good he is because people always want to talk about how short he is. The bottom line is he is a very quick and instinctive player who consistently performs at a high level. He is very dependable (never misses a game, and you don't hear him complaining about injuries), a team leader, plays with high intensity and makes a lot of tackles.

Yeah, he is undersized. However playing behind Sam Adams he isn't being asked to take on blockers, he is being asked to chase guys and make tackles. He has done that very well.

Look at all the pub that Zach Thomas gets in Miami. Yet, IMO, Fletcher stacks up very well against Thomas (and makes less money). Both are undersized and aren't going to take on an OG, but both are quick and instinctive and make a ton of tackles. Both are team leaders, noted for toughness and intensity. Fletcher has actualy been a lot more durable than Thomas, and I'd probably take Fletcher between the two at this point in their careers.

You guys are lucky to have Fletcher, and I would think a reasonable extension could be worked out to keep him in Buffalo.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

i am not saying that i am unhappy with fletcher.. but no one knows what we have in the backups.. they will all be gone before they ever get to play and are essentially just wasted draft picks.

i will say this too.. again. i like fletcher and am not unhappy with him at all, but tackle totals are not everything.. tons of his tackles are 5 yards downfield and having great DTs in front of him makes his job a hell of alot easier. he is not an elite LB.. he never has been.. he is a good player who is well worth every penny we have and are paying him, but he will never be ray lewis (not that many are, but you can always want more).. i think TKO would have outperformed fletcher if he was in the middle.

again.. before anyone freaks out.. i am simply saying his is very good but not great. if he wants to resign for reasonable money when his contract is over, fine.. but i wouldnt even pay him as much as he is getting now when his current deal runs out.. he will be 31 and on the downside of a good career.
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Only 1 of those backup lb'ers were 1st day draft picks so it doesn't bother they don't see the field much.

Comment

• Voltron
                            • Jul 2002

I think we should see how he does this year. See if his game stays at the high level it has been for the last few years and then talk with him in the offseason about an extention
                            Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
                            - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                            -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
                            - Mark Twain

Comment

• clumping platelets

Fletcher is signed through 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X