PDA

View Full Version : Should we extend Fletcher?

ghz in pittsburgh
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
If I'm not mitaken, this is Fletcher's 4th year in buffalo and he signed a 4 year deal. You don't hear anything from One Bills drive about extending him. Are the Bills ready to let him go after this season? Who is his backup any way? Fletcher is hitting 30 or 31 right?

Also is Posey hitting UFA status next year, too? Did he sign a 4 year or 3 year deal with the Bills?

Tatonka
07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
i think if he wants to stay for cheap, then fine.. but if not, let him go. we have young talent at LB that has not seen the field.. i like josh stamer alot. i also want crowell to get on the field before his damn contract is over.. he was a 3rd rounder who hasnt sniffed the field (fortunately, our LBs have stayed healthy).

while fletcher is good, i never thought he was elite.. he is just solid. good intensity, good tackler, bad incoverage... pretty much what you expect for the price we paid him.

i would actually like to see TKO move to the middle, and put stamer in TKOs spot.

The Spaz
07-19-2005, 07:03 PM
While we have good to great backup LB'ers for special teams I don't see any of them having the consistency and tenacity that Fletcher has brought to this team. Besides can't argue with with tackling ability the last 5 years he has averaged over 112 tackles also 3-4 sacks a year as well.

mysticsoto
07-19-2005, 07:09 PM
I think most people don't give Fletcher enough credit. That being said, I think we have talent with Josh Stamer and even this new guy - Ezekiel that the Bills seem to like alot. If Fletcher makes it cheap on us, we should keep him. If he makes demands...let him go. But somehow I doubt he will.

With the way TD and our FO seems to work, they will probably let Fletcher's contract expire and give a chance to some of the new blood to see what they can do. We have some good depth at LB and CB!!!

BillsFever21
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Fletcher is a Top 10 MLB in the league. I'd hate to lose him.

The guy has been in the Top 5 in tackles every year since he arrived here. He's also a great leader on our team.

There isn't anyone on the team right now that could come close to replacing him.

cordog
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Im pretty sure Fletcher signed a 5 year deal

mybills
07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
While we have good to great backup LB'ers for special teams I don't see any of them having the consistency and tenacity that Fletcher has brought to this team. Besides can't argue with with tackling ability the last 5 years he has averaged over 112 tackles also 3-4 sacks a year as well.
:bf1: I agree. I love L.F.! :up:

The_Philster
07-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Im pretty sure Fletcher signed a 5 year dealI believe you're right...he's not listed as a 2006 Free agent on Bills Daily

cordog
07-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I believe you're right...he's not listed as a 2006 Free agent on Bills Daily

Yeah im almost positive it was a 5 yr. 15 mil. deal. Pretty good deal by the way.

The_Philster
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
5 yrs; $15.925 Million to be exact

Ickybaluky
07-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Fletcher is one of those guys who doesn't get enough credit for how good he is because people always want to talk about how short he is. The bottom line is he is a very quick and instinctive player who consistently performs at a high level. He is very dependable (never misses a game, and you don't hear him complaining about injuries), a team leader, plays with high intensity and makes a lot of tackles.

Yeah, he is undersized. However playing behind Sam Adams he isn't being asked to take on blockers, he is being asked to chase guys and make tackles. He has done that very well.

Look at all the pub that Zach Thomas gets in Miami. Yet, IMO, Fletcher stacks up very well against Thomas (and makes less money). Both are undersized and aren't going to take on an OG, but both are quick and instinctive and make a ton of tackles. Both are team leaders, noted for toughness and intensity. Fletcher has actualy been a lot more durable than Thomas, and I'd probably take Fletcher between the two at this point in their careers.

You guys are lucky to have Fletcher, and I would think a reasonable extension could be worked out to keep him in Buffalo.

Tatonka
07-19-2005, 08:29 PM
i am not saying that i am unhappy with fletcher.. but no one knows what we have in the backups.. they will all be gone before they ever get to play and are essentially just wasted draft picks.

i will say this too.. again. i like fletcher and am not unhappy with him at all, but tackle totals are not everything.. tons of his tackles are 5 yards downfield and having great DTs in front of him makes his job a hell of alot easier. he is not an elite LB.. he never has been.. he is a good player who is well worth every penny we have and are paying him, but he will never be ray lewis (not that many are, but you can always want more).. i think TKO would have outperformed fletcher if he was in the middle.

again.. before anyone freaks out.. i am simply saying his is very good but not great. if he wants to resign for reasonable money when his contract is over, fine.. but i wouldnt even pay him as much as he is getting now when his current deal runs out.. he will be 31 and on the downside of a good career.

The Spaz
07-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Only 1 of those backup lb'ers were 1st day draft picks so it doesn't bother they don't see the field much.

Voltron
07-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I think we should see how he does this year. See if his game stays at the high level it has been for the last few years and then talk with him in the offseason about an extention

clumping platelets
07-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Fletcher is signed through 2006

Ed
07-19-2005, 10:59 PM
i am not saying that i am unhappy with fletcher.. but no one knows what we have in the backups.. they will all be gone before they ever get to play and are essentially just wasted draft picks.

I wouldn't call them wasted draft picks. There's a reason our ST's were really good last season and it's because of guys like our back-up LB's. And it's not like we spent a lot of top picks on them, but you have to be prepared for injuries. We've been really lucky at the LB position so far, but someone could still go down this season.

Ickybaluky
07-19-2005, 11:07 PM
tons of his tackles are 5 yards downfield and having great DTs in front of him makes his job a hell of alot easier. he is not an elite LB.

This is what I'm talking about, your focusing on what he doesn't do. Those tackles 5 yards downfield are important, because if they aren't made then teams are ripping off long runs. Fletcher fits the Bills scheme and does the job they ask of him very well, very consistently (no small point) and reliably.

In the Bills scheme he is asked to take on certain responsibilities, and at what he is asked to do he does a great job. Would he be the same player if he was asked to take on blockers more or play more coverage? Probably not, but that isn't what the defense requires.

You could put Spikes in the middle, but what makes you think he would be the same player? Could he handle all the mental aspects of the job like Fletcher does? I would argue that Fletcher's leadership and ability to get the right defense and adjustments called allows guys like Spikes to concentrate more on just making plays. He makes those around him better by making the right calls and getting everyone lined up. That is a huge thing.

Even assuming Spikes could take on all those additional responsibilities and move to the middle, what makes you think some unproven backup is going to step into Spikes' role and perform like him? Wouldn't that be a big downgrade?

Fletcher is more important than you think, for many more reasons besides his ability to tackle. The guy may be undersized, but he is a football player.

Again, I'll bring up the Zach Thomas comparison. The media is all over Thomas' jock, yet Fletcher is very similar and hasn't received nearly the fanfare. In fact, given his reliability, I'd argue he has out-performed Thomas in the last few seasons.

Konyeezie
07-20-2005, 02:25 AM
I wonder is Liam Ezekial can replace him. That guy is crazy.

ryjam282
07-20-2005, 05:16 AM
i think if he wants to stay for cheap, then fine.. but if not, let him go. we have young talent at LB that has not seen the field.. i like josh stamer alot. i also want crowell to get on the field before his damn contract is over.. he was a 3rd rounder who hasnt sniffed the field (fortunately, our LBs have stayed healthy).

while fletcher is good, i never thought he was elite.. he is just solid. good intensity, good tackler, bad incoverage... pretty much what you expect for the price we paid him.

i would actually like to see TKO move to the middle, and put stamer in TKOs spot.

I kinda agree with you T, we do have some young talent and I have liked what I have seen from Stamer and Crowell in the VERY LIMITED time they have been on the filed other then special teams. I also don't think Fletcher is an "elite" MLB but he is pretty close and has been about as consistent as one can be at the position. he is very bad in coverage as you said and that is what, IMO, is keeping him from being a top 5 MLB in the league right now. But, with that being said, if wants to stay I say we make an offer to keep him. Of course see how he looks for the next 2 years too to make sure he isn't rapidly declining.

I think most people don't give Fletcher enough credit. That being said, I think we have talent with Josh Stamer and even this new guy - Ezekiel that the Bills seem to like alot. If Fletcher makes it cheap on us, we should keep him. If he makes demands...let him go. But somehow I doubt he will.

I think he will want to stay here. He has seen us grow over the past few years from the laughing stock on D in his first season to a powerhouse in the top 3 the last few. That sure makes a MLB look and feel good.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-20-2005, 07:23 AM
You guys are right. I checked. Fletcher signed a 5 year deal whereas Posey signed a 4 year deal. Now along with Nate, Lawyer, Adams, Moulds future with the Bills in question the next two years, they better make a good run soon, starting this year.

On a side note, I'd hope some of our young linebackers can make a move and push a veteran out of the starting job. The way I see it, our linebackers have reached their peak performance potential. To take another step up, it has to come from new blood. Can someone beat out Posey?

mysticsoto
07-20-2005, 07:44 AM
You guys are right. I checked. Fletcher signed a 5 year deal whereas Posey signed a 4 year deal. Now along with Nate, Lawyer, Adams, Moulds future with the Bills in question the next two years, they better make a good run soon, starting this year.

On a side note, I'd hope some of our young linebackers can make a move and push a veteran out of the starting job. The way I see it, our linebackers have reached their peak performance potential. To take another step up, it has to come from new blood. Can someone beat out Posey?
The way the FO has talked about Ezekiel, I think he just might bump somebody out (even if it's a backup). I look forward to seeing him in training camp...

Voltron
07-20-2005, 07:48 AM
This is what I'm talking about, your focusing on what he doesn't do. Those tackles 5 yards downfield are important, because if they aren't made then teams are ripping off long runs. Fletcher fits the Bills scheme and does the job they ask of him very well, very consistently (no small point) and reliably.

In the Bills scheme he is asked to take on certain responsibilities, and at what he is asked to do he does a great job. Would he be the same player if he was asked to take on blockers more or play more coverage? Probably not, but that isn't what the defense requires.

You could put Spikes in the middle, but what makes you think he would be the same player? Could he handle all the mental aspects of the job like Fletcher does? I would argue that Fletcher's leadership and ability to get the right defense and adjustments called allows guys like Spikes to concentrate more on just making plays. He makes those around him better by making the right calls and getting everyone lined up. That is a huge thing.

Even assuming Spikes could take on all those additional responsibilities and move to the middle, what makes you think some unproven backup is going to step into Spikes' role and perform like him? Wouldn't that be a big downgrade?

Fletcher is more important than you think, for many more reasons besides his ability to tackle. The guy may be undersized, but he is a football player.

Again, I'll bring up the Zach Thomas comparison. The media is all over Thomas' jock, yet Fletcher is very similar and hasn't received nearly the fanfare. In fact, given his reliability, I'd argue he has out-performed Thomas in the last few seasons.
Great post! :up:

NE39 is a student of a game!!!! :hi5:

Jan Reimers
07-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Only 1 of those backup lb'ers were 1st day draft picks so it doesn't bother they don't see the field much.
Then again, Fletcher was originally a UDFA who got to play, and has played well. But I'm with Tatonka on this one. When his contract is up, and if he's still playing well, I would re-sign him only at a very reasonable price. He's good, but not great, and won't be a young man at that point.

pleasesavedrew
07-20-2005, 09:13 AM
YES. No more need be said.

dannyek71
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
How many stupid plays did he make last year on defense (roughing etc)

He is a good LB, average at best. (How many tackles did Brandon Spoon have again?)

He had the benefit of playing behind two of the better Dts in the league, and TKO for the last 2 years.

MLB and RB are the two most overated posistions in football. Both put the player in posistion to record big #s

Konyeezie
07-21-2005, 01:03 AM
rofl

Brandon Spoon?

get the hell outta here

Konyeezie
07-21-2005, 01:04 AM

Josh Stamer can vill the void if Posey leaves.

I think he could unseat Posey this year too but I don't think it will happen.

BillsFever21
07-21-2005, 01:33 AM

He is a good LB, average at best. (How many tackles did Brandon Spoon have again?)

He had the benefit of playing behind two of the better Dts in the league, and TKO for the last 2 years.

MLB and RB are the two most overated posistions in football. Both put the player in posistion to record big #sHe was good before he came to Buffalo.

What is it with some Bills fan and their love Brandon Spoon? Some were still calling him good 2 years after the Bills dumped him and he never signed on with anyone else.

Michael82
07-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Fletcher is one of those guys who doesn't get enough credit for how good he is because people always want to talk about how short he is. The bottom line is he is a very quick and instinctive player who consistently performs at a high level. He is very dependable (never misses a game, and you don't hear him complaining about injuries), a team leader, plays with high intensity and makes a lot of tackles.

Yeah, he is undersized. However playing behind Sam Adams he isn't being asked to take on blockers, he is being asked to chase guys and make tackles. He has done that very well.

Look at all the pub that Zach Thomas gets in Miami. Yet, IMO, Fletcher stacks up very well against Thomas (and makes less money). Both are undersized and aren't going to take on an OG, but both are quick and instinctive and make a ton of tackles. Both are team leaders, noted for toughness and intensity. Fletcher has actualy been a lot more durable than Thomas, and I'd probably take Fletcher between the two at this point in their careers.

You guys are lucky to have Fletcher, and I would think a reasonable extension could be worked out to keep him in Buffalo.
Great post! :bf1:

It's actually kind of funny that the Pats fan is giving more credit to London Fletcher than Bills fans are. And what u say makes perfect sense. :up:

Ed
07-21-2005, 02:19 PM

MLB and RB are the two most overated posistions in football. Both put the player in posistion to record big #s
All expect maybe one of those roughing the passer penalities were total B.S. London just plays incredibly aggressive and leaves it all on the field. I wouldn't hold a couple bad calls against him.

colin
07-22-2005, 09:30 AM
He was good before he came to Buffalo.

What is it with some Bills fan and their love Brandon Spoon? Some were still calling him good 2 years after the Bills dumped him and he never signed on with anyone else.

some bills fans are looking for the next great white hope.

spoon, wire, and other Whit POS players on other teams who people think we should sign, even tho they are NOT good.

spoon got luck on a couple picks, but just never had the talent. he also get tore up easily.

london is the captain of this D, we should keep him

juice
07-23-2005, 10:27 AM
Why does everyone always want something for nothing, "If he comes cheap", why not pay the guy what he's worth since he is the most consistent player on the defense and is as good as Zack Thomas but stays healthy.

Performance and leadership are qualities that don't always come cheap.

G. Host
07-23-2005, 08:18 PM
If I'm not mitaken, this is Fletcher's 4th year in buffalo and he signed a 4 year deal. You don't hear anything from One Bills drive about extending him. Are the Bills ready to let him go after this season? Who is his backup any way? Fletcher is hitting 30 or 31 right?

Also is Posey hitting UFA status next year, too? Did he sign a 4 year or 3 year deal with the Bills?

Spikes and Posey are committed until 2006

05 Player Committments (sorry have not had chance to remove Henry yet)
http://members.cox.net/billswatch/players.html

1959BillsFan
07-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Posey, Adams, Fletcher, Milloy, Kelsey (I think) are all signed up to and including 2006. Who we try to keep and who we get are two different things. IMHO, next years draft will have to be designed to draft for need. Not necessarily the luxary of like we have done the last two seasons, 10 out of 12 picks are on offense.

The lines have been neglected for some time and I really think they will have to look HARD at o-line, d-line, LBs, secondary fro the next few years. These are the NEEDS as I see them.

BUT, you can never tell how players turn out: Look at Fletcher, undrafted free agent; Pat Adams, undrafted free agent; Posey, undrafted free agent. There are a lot of capable players out there that aren't given the chances, for one reason or another.

Resign Fletcher???? We have two years to see how young guys develop and to draft new ones. We will probably wait to see how things turn out. There is time.

The_Philster
07-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Unrestricted Free Agents
<!-- use navy font and bold after moves are made -->CB Nate Clements
C Trey Teague
FB Daimon Shelton
DT Ron Edwards
WR Josh Reed
DE Ryan Denney
CB Kevin Thomas
DT Justin Bannan
RB Joe Burns
LS Jon Dorenbos
OL Lawrence Smith

Restricted Free Agents
CB Terrence McGee

BillsOwnAll
07-24-2005, 06:37 PM
I wouldnt call them wasted draft picks. I mean LF is performing why take him out for an unproven draft pick. Yes the draft pick might be the enxt ray lewis but you just never know.

mikemac2001
07-24-2005, 06:40 PM
i havent posted in awhile, but i do read the forums. Fletcher is a beast in the middle and he helps create freedom for takio i think if we can extend him for a realistic price i think we should.