PDA

View Full Version : Report from Clayton...Verba??

FlyingDutchman
07-21-2005, 12:44 AM
A small blurb on Buffalo by Clayton recently in the website suggests that Buffalo could possibly be thinking Verba now that Henry is gone and there is a little more cap room left...I think we need him,I really dont trust Gandy as the starting LT..:str8face: ..watcha think....

CAbills
07-21-2005, 12:47 AM
TD said in his press conference that we were not looking to bringing Verba in. So take that as you like.

FlyingDutchman
07-21-2005, 01:07 AM
TD said in his press conference that we were not looking to bringing Verba in. So take that as you like.

recently?

djjimkelly
07-21-2005, 03:40 AM
no i heard TD on sirius he said they are in contact with his agent on a weekly basis not for serious interest but to feel for what situation and what market is dictating so u take that for what its worth

Michael82
07-21-2005, 04:07 AM
Donahoe is waiting for Verba to lower his demands to a one year deal or something and then he'll pounce on him, IMO.

Jan Reimers
07-21-2005, 05:09 AM
I take it that we are probably in serious negotiation with the guy. After all, TD is the master of deception, misdirection and disinformation.

And even though I'm a Gandy supporter, I wouldn't mind bringing in Verba at the right price.

casdhf
07-21-2005, 06:11 AM
I still think we should go into camp with what we have. If someone struggles, then bring in help. I'd like to see the remaining cap used for extensions.

jamze132
07-21-2005, 08:10 AM
I still think we should go into camp with what we have. If someone struggles, then bring in help. I'd like to see the remaining cap used for extensions.
But if you wait too long, you may miss out on a good thing. It's obvious that our O-line couldhave been better for a few years now. If there is an opportunity to make it better, than it might be wise to do so.

mysticsoto
07-21-2005, 08:24 AM
But if you wait too long, you may miss out on a good thing. It's obvious that our O-line couldhave been better for a few years now. If there is an opportunity to make it better, than it might be wise to do so.
Well as it stands, we don't have $5 million to pay Verba, so up and until he lowers that amt, we just cannot bring him in even if we wanted to. Verba needs a little realism in his life. No one is going to give him $5 million - and if he prefers to retire than to lower the asking amount, then I don't want him. I want people with heart on our team - and I'm starting to wonder if he has it. By now I would've expected him to start lowering that amt and there's been no news or signs showing that he has.

BillsFanCupp38
07-21-2005, 01:03 PM
i think hes a decent player, but i think he wants too much money. I would love him on the team but he just wants too much money and who knows maybe he wont be worth it.

Bill Brasky
07-21-2005, 01:07 PM
I really dont trust Gandy as the starting LT..:str8face: ..watcha think....
But you'd trust Verba? :huh:

PS - John Clayton doesn't know anything. He's about as worthless as Peter Gammons.

FlyingDutchman
07-21-2005, 01:13 PM

PS - John Clayton doesn't know anything. He's about as worthless as Peter Gammons.

Id trust him more than Gandy...Gandy has little experience, and the time he did play he was pretty bad...We are thin at tackle, and I dont trust Gandy covering our rookies blind side. Clayton could be just speaking out of his a$$, but I'm hoping theres some truth to it.

mysticsoto
07-21-2005, 01:21 PM
What trust? There's no trust involved. Once they are in camp it's 'best man wins'. Nobody gets the position on name or reputation. Whoever earns it based on McNally's judging gets the position. The battle is then that much more fierce. I still believe people shouldn't count Peters out, but we'll see...

McGahee420
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
What trust? There's no trust involved. Once they are in camp it's 'best man wins'. Nobody gets the position on name or reputation. Whoever earns it based on McNally's judging gets the position. The battle is then that much more fierce. I still believe people shouldn't count Peters out, but we'll see...
Yeah, where is peters in all of this? I mean they were saying how well this kid was playing and McNally even said he could be a stud on the line if coached right. I think Verba would be a nice addition to the line, but personally I would like to see what McNally does and see what happens from there. I would rather use the cap money to sign our draft picks and to get some contact extensions done, especially Clements and McGee:smile:

JP relieving stress-------> :band:

Shasta McNasty
07-21-2005, 02:07 PM

I hope that your kidding about Clayton and Gammons.

Tatonka
07-21-2005, 03:46 PM
assuming that gandy can just be average, which is the most that anyone who is not wearing rose colored glasses could expect based on his history, then if gandy gets hurt, we are completely and totaly screwed.. no if and or buts about it.

we need verba. sign him to a one year deal.

CAbills
07-21-2005, 05:03 PM
recently?
In the same press conference that announced the Travis Henry trade. So yes recently.

colin
07-22-2005, 08:14 AM
i'd like him on the team, but only at a very good price.

he does not seem to be enough of an upgrade over who we have already (and gandy has upside being younger) to warrent a very big long term contract, but 1-3 years at the right rate would be nice.

i am confident TD will do the right thing.

HHURRICANE
07-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Unless I'm wrong here. Bringing him in for one year only effects this years cap number. We can reevaluate next year. I'd say if we have the money than we should bring him in.

mysticsoto
07-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Unless I'm wrong here. Bringing him in for one year only effects this years cap number. We can reevaluate next year. I'd say if we have the money than we should bring him in.
Well, he first needs to lower his ask from $5 million to maybe $2-3 million which is all we can afford. But I think he was making that where he was, so for that, he probably should have stayed where he was. TD and the FO are clearly interested as they are keeping in contact with him. But $5 millions is a ridiculous ask at this point. He should play with us for 1 year and hope for a bigger contract next year as a FA.

superbills
07-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Yeah, where is peters in all of this? I mean they were saying how well this kid was playing and McNally even said he could be a stud on the line if coached right. I think Verba would be a nice addition to the line, but personally I would like to see what McNally does and see what happens from there. I would rather use the cap money to sign our draft picks and to get some contact extensions done, especially Clements and McGee:smile:

JP relieving stress-------> :band:

Nonononononono! Not Peters. I would not trust the LT position to a guy who has a reputation for having the intellect of charcoal. If we can bring Peters in for spot duty on the line, or at TE, then fine. Leave the starting LT position for someone with experience and for the love of God SOME intelligence.

mysticsoto
07-22-2005, 10:28 AM
Nonononononono! Not Peters. I would not trust the LT position to a guy who has a reputation for having the intellect of charcoal. If we can bring Peters in for spot duty on the line, or at TE, then fine. Leave the starting LT position for someone with experience and for the love of God SOME intelligence.

??? I would think the TE position requires more intelligence in terms of knowing the play book and requiring you to know which route to run, or who to block depending on the type of defense you see, etc. At LT you just block (there are variations, I know...but more than a blocking TE might see???).

justasportsfan
07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
assuming that gandy can just be average, which is the most that anyone who is not wearing rose colored glasses could expect based on his history, then if gandy gets hurt, we are completely and totaly screwed.. no if and or buts about it.

we need verba. sign him to a one year deal.I agree. Besides, we could also use Gandy as a guard just in case. Our Ol doesn't have much depth. I'm still wondering why Price wasn't resigned even for a 1 yr. deal. He's been decent.

ExWNYer
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Verba needs a little realism in his life. No one is going to give him $5 million - and if he prefers to retire than to lower the asking amount, then I don't want him. I want people with heart on our team - and I'm starting to wonder if he has it. By now I would've expected him to start lowering that amt and there's been no news or signs showing that he has.

But $5 millions is a ridiculous ask at this point. He should play with us for 1 year and hope for a bigger contract next year as a FA.

Why should he be lowering his demands? He's doing exactly as he should. He's what, 32? He's looking to cash in on one more decent contract...more than likely, his last. Why not wait until camps open and teams start getting desperate due to injuries or lack of confidence in the ability of their current options (for example, Gandy). By waiting, he's gaining leverage, much like the Bills did in the Travis Henry situation. An added bonus to a veteran player such as himself is the possibility of missing two-a-days, which no vet likes. If, eventually, he has to lower his demands then so be it. It's not like he'd be any worse off than he would be for caving now. He's not from Buffalo, so he's got no reason to give the Bills a "home town" discount...they're not the only team that could use O-line help and are, therefore, not his only option. Why should he take a one year deal? If he suffers a debilitating injury he won't be able to "hope for a bigger contract next year as a FA", plus he'll be a 30+ player who is another year older. If the Bills really are interested, they'll just have to be patient and play the game that is free agency.

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I agree. Besides, we could also use Gandy as a guard just in case. Our Ol doesn't have much depth. I'm still wondering why Price wasn't resigned even for a 1 yr. deal. He's been decent.

I've been wondering that for a while now. Granted, Price wasn't an all-pro, but he was solid and knew the system pretty well. At the very least, Buffalo knows what its got with regards to Price. I don't think the same can be said for Gandy. I'm not saying that Gandy won't work out, but I for one would feel more comfortable if Price was there to compete for the LT position with him. And Price can also play RT if needed. Is Price still a FA at this point?

cordog
07-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Why should he be lowering his demands? He's doing exactly as he should. He's what, 32? He's looking to cash in on one more decent contract...more than likely, his last. Why not wait until camps open and teams start getting desperate due to injuries or lack of confidence in the ability of their current options (for example, Gandy). By waiting, he's gaining leverage, much like the Bills did in the Travis Henry situation. An added bonus to a veteran player such as himself is the possibility of missing two-a-days, which no vet likes. If, eventually, he has to lower his demands then so be it. It's not like he'd be any worse off than he would be for caving now. He's not from Buffalo, so he's got no reason to give the Bills a "home town" discount...they're not the only team that could use O-line help and are, therefore, not his only option. Why should he take a one year deal? If he suffers a debilitating injury he won't be able to "hope for a bigger contract next year as a FA", plus he'll be a 30+ player who is another year older. If the Bills really are interested, they'll just have to be patient and play the game that is free agency.

Because no one has that kind of cap room now. Even if you deferred some of the cap hit in the form of a signing bonus, the cap hit in the future would be huge. Plus Verba isnt worth the 5 or 7 mill hes asking for. I have quite a few friends that are Clowns fans, and even when Verba played for them, they complained he wasnt a good LT, he was more of a guard. Plus I believe TD said and im sure many other GMs around the league like to keep about a mil. in cap room in case of injuries during the year.

mysticsoto
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I've been wondering that for a while now. Granted, Price wasn't an all-pro, but he was solid and knew the system pretty well. At the very least, Buffalo knows what its got with regards to Price. I don't think the same can be said for Gandy. I'm not saying that Gandy won't work out, but I for one would feel more comfortable if Price was there to compete for the LT position with him. And Price can also play RT if needed. Is Price still a FA at this point?
Price wouldn't be asking for alot of money, so there's got to be another reason - like injuries or he had a falling out with the FO or something. But I also find it interesting that no other team has picked him up as a good backup. That leads me to believe that he has some serious injury that just isn't well known to the public...

Bulldog
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM

Maybe because there aren't many teams that have the cap room and are willing to pay an "older" LT the $5 million + that he's looking for. Because he was released by the Browns so late, he missed that opportunity for this coming season. Do you really think that if somebody's LT goes down in the pre-season that they're going to go out and sign a 32 LT for $5 million + per year? I don't. And really, what are his options? If he takes the year off, he'll be in worse shape than he already is. Maybe it would have been wise to keep his mouth shut and stay with the Browns at the salary he was getting. I will be surprised if he even gets what he was making in Cleveland before being released($3 mill +).

mysticsoto
07-22-2005, 11:43 AM
He can and definitely should wait into TC but then not long after. A line needs time to gel together, and if he's not in from the start, there's no pt in grabbing him later unless an injury has happened to a team - which is a huge risk for him to take at 32. But at $5 million, he's just out of reach of the Bills anyway. I have to guess that he's waiting and hoping Houston will cave in and take him, but at that price, they don't seem interested either. Or, it may be that Houston knows how much we can afford and will therefore wait until he drops to just a notch above that before they grab him.

I say things like him taking a 1 yr deal b'cse if not, he will be unemployed for the year - atleast the way things stand now. Basically, he needs to face that he is not going to get that payday that he is looking for. He is not going to get $5 Million for 7 years or something like that which is what he initially began his ask with. In fact, he's not going to get anywhere close to that. The sooner he realizes and accepts that, the sooner he can try and play for a good calibre team like ours that might be going places in the near future!

ExWNYer
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Because no one has that kind of cap room now. Even if you deferred some of the cap hit in the form of a signing bonus, the cap hit in the future would be huge. Plus Verba isnt worth the 5 or 7 mill hes asking for. I have quite a few friends that are Clowns fans, and even when Verba played for them, they complained he wasnt a good LT, he was more of a guard. Plus I believe TD said and im sure many other GMs around the league like to keep about a mil. in cap room in case of injuries during the year.

I never said he was worth what he's asking for but, then, the market will eventually dictate what he's worth, won't it? He and his agent obviously have a number in mind that they think is fair. In any basic negotiation you always ask for more than what you're willing to take. Hope for the best...expect the worst. I'm sure his "real" asking price is nowhere near the $5-7 million "negotiate thru the media" asking price that's being talked about. As for the cap, yeah, most teams are pretty tight against it at this time of year but they always seem to make room for someone that they really want. Bottom line: If Verba doesn't retire, he'll land with someone who'll give him what they and he thinks are fair. That's what he's worth...whatever the market will bear, not what you or I think.

cordog
07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
I never said he was worth what he's asking for but, then, the market will eventually dictate what he's worth, won't it? He and his agent obviously have a number in mind that they think is fair. In any basic negotiation you always ask for more than what you're willing to take. Hope for the best...expect the worst. I'm sure his "real" asking price is nowhere near the $5-7 million "negotiate thru the media" asking price that's being talked about. As for the cap, yeah, most teams are pretty tight against it at this time of year but they always seem to make room for someone that they really want. Bottom line: If Verba doesn't retire, he'll land with someone who'll give him what they and he thinks are fair. That's what he's worth...whatever the market will bear, not what you or I think.

The point is, the market will not bear much at all. He turned down 2.8 mill or something from the Browns so his asking price is probably around 5-7. BTW, i know how negotiating works.