PDA

View Full Version : Titans' Henry says main goal is winning

Gunzlingr
07-21-2005, 09:36 AM
The primary question regarding Travis Henry’s arrival in Nashville Wednesday centered around one subject.

Would he and incumbent running back Chris Brown each get enough carries to co-exist happily in the same Tennessee Titans backfield?

One day into Henry’s career as a Titan, that answer apparently is yes, as long as it helps the Titans win football games.

Both Henry and Brown, who spoke through statements released by Titans officials, indicated Wednesday that the most important number to them is the one under the win column, rather than the ones under rushing attempts or yards.

“It’s a team sport first,” said Henry, who was acquired from Buffalo Monday for a 2006 third-round pick, then signed a four-year extension. “I’ve got a role to play and Chris has a role to play. We’ve just got to come together and do what’s best for the team.

“I really haven’t gotten into detail [about how we will be used], but from my understanding, they’re going to use both of us a lot in different packages.”

Brown, who had 1,067 yards in an injury-plagued season last year, echoed similar sentiments.

“It certainly gives us more depth at running back. Anyone who helps us win, I’m down with that,” Brown said. “It’s up to the head coach as to who plays. I will respect whatever decision Coach [Jeff] Fisher makes. My job is to go out and play when my number is called.”

The arrival of Henry, the all-time leading rusher at the University of Tennessee, signals not only the addition of some much-needed depth at the running back position, but a change in philosophy regarding the position itself.

“They’re both going to play,” Fisher said. “You look at teams around the league, and you’ve got teams with two solid backs consistently getting to the playoffs. Teams that are relying on one back just can’t get it done because they run out of gas.”

more (http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cfm?section=7&screen=news&news_id=43015)

Static
07-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Then why did he go to the titans.......buffalo is in much better shape

The King
07-21-2005, 10:18 AM
http://www.titansonline.com/fpnews/images/henry5.jpg

Jan Reimers
07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Then why did he go to the titans.......buffalo is in much better shape
It was personal with the Bills. TD drafted McGahee just when Travis was settling in as a number 1 RB in the league. Travis never got over the "slap in the face," or losing his job to WM. He has no such history with the Titans, and therefore can say all the right things.

Drive 4 Five
07-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Last night on NFL Total Access Henry stated that the Bills would only play one back or the other and that there was no sharing of carries.

mysticsoto
07-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Last night on NFL Total Access Henry stated that the Bills would only play one back or the other and that there was no sharing of carries.
This is true and I was disappointed by this, but I think this was mostly b'cse they didn't feel Henry was a good blocker. So it was better to put Shelton in. And WM did publicly thank Shelton for his great blocks!!!

We might be able to do stuff like this if we had a better line, but right now, it is best to have a FB or blocking TE inside to help out...maybe in 2 years after we get our monster LT next year, we can do stuff like that.

That's one thing I like about Mularkey. He makes play calls taking into account who and what we have - unlike Williams/Gilbride that wanted a certain play regardless of whether it fit the offense and players or not.

Drive 4 Five
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
This is true and I was disappointed by this, but I think this was mostly b'cse they didn't feel Henry was a good blocker. So it was better to put Shelton in. And WM did publicly thank Shelton for his great blocks!!!

We might be able to do stuff like this if we had a better line, but right now, it is best to have a FB or blocking TE inside to help out...maybe in 2 years after we get our monster LT next year, we can do stuff like that.

That's one thing I like about Mularkey. He makes play calls taking into account who and what we have - unlike Williams/Gilbride that wanted a certain play regardless of whether it fit the offense and players or not.

No I think he was referring more to spelling McGahee (which was rare as we all know), or having the opportunity to get any carries at all, not blocking for McGahee. However, it was quite clear from the moment McGahee stepped on the field that his skills (including vison and blocking assignments) and athletisicm were far superior to that of Henry. The way I see it, it was Henry's job to lose and he lost it. Not just because of injury but because McGahee was the better player. Right? IMO McGahee was the number one reason for the resurgence on offense the last half of the season. As soon as he stepped in, we were definitely a completely different team

mysticsoto
07-21-2005, 12:12 PM
No I think he was referring more to spelling McGahee (which was rare as we all know), or having the opportunity to get any carries at all, not blocking for McGahee. However, it was quite clear from the moment McGahee stepped on the field that his skills (including vison and blocking assignments) and athletisicm were far superior to that of Henry. The way I see it, it was Henry's job to lose and he lost it. Not just because of injury but because McGahee was the better player. Right? IMO McGahee was the number one reason for the resurgence on offense the last half of the season. As soon as he stepped in, we were definitely a completely different team
I'd be willing to take that a step further and say that it really wasn't Travis that lost his job, it was that WM was just that much better. I mean...look at the animated gif that TheBuffaloBills4 has - the one where Willis takes on a Miami defender and stiff arms him off of him like nothing!!! That was awesome!!!

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=75910&page=2&pp=20

BillsFanCupp38
07-21-2005, 12:44 PM
you know i am happy for the guy. Ill be rooting for him to get the starting job. He was a great runningback in my opinion and for a 3rd round pick the titans got a steal because he is easily worth a second.

don137
07-21-2005, 12:47 PM
TH was the third down back when WM became the starter until he got hurt so I am not sure why Travis is saying they used WM exclusively.

Ed
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Well Travis was also the one who last year before the season started, said he didn't want to share carries with McGahee because you need to be able to get into a rythm. He was the one that said he gets stronger as the game goes on and that in the NFL you need to have a featured back, so you can't share carries.

Willis proved to be the better back, so he got all the carries. Travis has nothing to complain about based on what he said before the start of the season.

Whatever though, Henry can say all the right things right now to make the Titans happy, but if he's only concerned about winning, he's going to be miserable in Tennessee.