PDA

View Full Version : Defense Wants to Be ‘All-Time’

The_Philster
07-21-2005, 03:14 PM
After finishing the last two seasons ranked second in the league, the Buffalo Bills defense doesn't want to be second to anyone in 2005… or to any other defense in any other year for that matter. "We have high goals set for ourselves," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "It goes beyond just wanting to be number one in the league. Our goal is to be the greatest defense of all time."http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3266
http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/E7A11D18B3C6404FA31C23E33E888783.jpg

JD
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Thats awesome to hear, god damn im so pumped!
:band:

footballhottie
07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
go bills! :dance:

Bill Brasky
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
This defense doesn't even get credit amongst the top units today... when you hear people talk about great current d's people only talk about Baltimore and NE... even Philly gets more cred than this defense, and it's unfair IMO.

The only way this d gets the credit it deserves is by winning the big one.

thebuffalobills4
07-21-2005, 03:39 PM
After finishing the last two seasons ranked second in the league, the Buffalo Bills defense doesn't want to be second to anyone in 2005… or to any other defense in any other year for that matter. "We have high goals set for ourselves," said defensive captain London Fletcher. "It goes beyond just wanting to be number one in the league. Our goal is to be the greatest defense of all time."http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3266
http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/E7A11D18B3C6404FA31C23E33E888783.jpg
lets hope they will.but our d is going to be a beast this yr.

Ed
07-21-2005, 08:12 PM
This defense doesn't even get credit amongst the top units today... when you hear people talk about great current d's people only talk about Baltimore and NE... even Philly gets more cred than this defense, and it's unfair IMO.

It's unfair, but until our team can get to the playoffs this defense isn't going to get the credit it deserves.

Turf
07-21-2005, 09:51 PM
That'a cause the defense has great stats, but has choked in clutch situations. Still a great defense. Having an offense wouldn't hurt either.

ArcticWildMan
07-22-2005, 01:06 AM
We got more credit than some of you realize. I heard on ESPN radio several times last year where they said we had a SuperBowl caliber defense. Unfortunately in the same breath they mentioned our offense was a handicap. :ill:

Maybe with Losman and Willis that will change to be a "positive" contribution to our defense.

justasportsfan
07-22-2005, 06:47 AM

Why should they when they couldn't handle Pitts 2nd and 3rd strings? Last years D reminded me of the fins D under Wanny. Plays well and then chokes when it counts the most.

Kenny
07-22-2005, 09:40 AM
That'a cause the defense has great stats, but has choked in clutch situations. Still a great defense. Having an offense wouldn't hurt either.
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Even though our defense is damn good, is it good enough to win us games? or just keep us in them? (that Jax and Pitts game last year just pissed me off).
Hopefully we take the next step this year.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Why should they when they couldn't handle Pitts 2nd and 3rd strings? Last years D reminded me of the fins D under Wanny. Plays well and then chokes when it counts the most.
You stole my thunder. Dominating defense? Gray needs to look in the mirror or re-visit the tapes of last year's games again.

It's a good defense, superbowl calibre defense (because many superbowl teams had defense weaker than ours in the past), but hardly a defense that can win games by themselves.

Playing big when it counts the most is the hallmark of being great. Unfortunately the Bills D came up very small in this area. All-Time great means you play great consistently in a season. The Bills D can't even do great consistently in a game. What is Gray talking about?!!! One crucial ingredient of All-time great is that you have All-Time great players. There were many in 1985 Bears and there was Ray Lewis in 2000 Ravens. I frankly don't see an All-Time great player in Bills roster right now.

Night Train
07-22-2005, 12:17 PM

Even though our defense is damn good, is it good enough to win us games? or just keep us in them? (that Jax and Pitts game last year just pissed me off).
That Steelers game was quite alarming and I hope the game film has been reviewed heavily by Gray. The Jax game was a letdown with the last play TD and the missed knockdown by Clements the play before on 4th down. Still, Bledsoe and Henry were horrid that day ( like most of 2004 ) and produced a whole 10 points.

OpIv37
07-22-2005, 12:25 PM

the reason they "choked" in clutch situations (with the exception of the Pitt game) was because the offense didn't keep them off the field and they got tired and broke down. Trust me- if the offense can control the tempo, this D will be even better than it's been in the past.

Bling
07-22-2005, 12:51 PM

But you don't get credit until you get to the playoffs. Baltimore and NE won Super Bowls on Defense. Philly went to 4 straight NFC Championships with a decent Defense (I don't think they really had a bad Defense till 03-04, if I remember correctly). You really expect someone from Oklahoma to know the Bills have a good Defense when they can't even make the playoffs?

Bling
07-22-2005, 12:53 PM
the reason they "choked" in clutch situations (with the exception of the Pitt game) was because the offense didn't keep them off the field and they got tired and broke down. Trust me- if the offense can control the tempo, this D will be even better than it's been in the past.
Exactly. People always say Miami couldn't play in December, but the Defense couldn't play anymore on the field. Your offense needs to keep the Defense off the field.

Oh... and this Defense isn't 'All-Time' nor will it ever be, but I won't get into that arguement.

McGahee420
07-22-2005, 03:45 PM

Yeah, and who was the reason why we freaking lost these games....RIAN "I cant kick" LINDELL. He missed two chip shots that lost one game(Jax) and took all the momemtum we had in the other (PITT)

Kenny
07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeah, and who was the reason why we freaking lost these games....RIAN "I cant kick" LINDELL. He missed two chip shots that lost one game(Jax) and took all the momemtum we had in the other (PITT)
I'll admit, he completely crapped on our momentum... but you still have to admit, when it came down to it, -the defense just choked.
You can blame Lindell, Bledsoe, and Henry all you want (and rightfully so cause they suck), but at the end of the day, -when all hope was left to our defense to win us the game, they simply couldnt.
Good defenses keep teams in the game, but Great defenses wins the games despite all other hardships.

im4bflo
07-22-2005, 07:09 PM
A great attitude going into this season, gives a fan the chills, can't wait to see them back that up!
a blown play here and there, kept them from being great last year, but healthy, and eliminate those little things, we can be ALL TIME BABY!
GO BILLS!!!

wchutalkinboutwillis
07-22-2005, 07:57 PM
You can say that Nate Clements was primarily responsible for losing the game against Jacksonville on opening day. The fact that he went for the interception on 4th and very long with like 40 seconds to go, made me break various household items. You can also argue that the offense needs to score more than 10 points to win most games.
Ironically enough, it was Nate who made the pick against Pittsburgh in the finale. The defense buckled later on when they let that 2nd string clown ramble for 50+ yards. With that said, it can be argued that Lindell's missed chip shot was a momentum changer. And with THAT said, great defenses don't let their minds get affected by lowsy team mate kickers. It's both their faults. You know, the whole "team" thing.