PDA

View Full Version : Official 2005-06 NHL Rule Changes

pyrrhonist
07-22-2005, 02:28 PM
In the press conference where Bettman stated that the owners unanimously approved the CBA, he also stated the NHL's official stance on the upcoming rule changes. Here is what he did state we'll see different in the NHL next year (Some we've already heard officially before, like the goalie equipment):

--Shootouts to resolve regular season ties
--Tag-up offsides
--Removal of the red line
--Move the goalie nets back 2 feet towards the end boards
--Shrinking of the goalie pads to 11"

I'm still a bit miffed about the whole craze for shootouts, but all of the other stuff sounds fairly good. As far as the goalie-affecting rules, I hope that is it. I don't want to see the ability for guys like DiPietro & Turco to play the puck taken away.

pyrrhonist
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
As the Press Conference has gone on (In conjunction with reports from TSN), more information has come forward.

A "Competition Committee" will supervise rule changes for the NHL, and is a joint effort between 4 players, 4 GMs, 1 owners, and Colin Campbell. There were some other items announced that weren't in my first post:

--Using the AHL crease and limits on goaltender puck handling;

-- Reducing the size of the neutral zone;

--A team that ices the puck cannot make a line change prior to the ensuing face-off;

--Officials will have the discretion to wave off icing if it is deemed to be the result of an attempted pass;

--A player that instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and automatic one-game suspension;

--Zero tolerance on interference, hooking and holding/obstruction (We've heard this one before :down: )

SkateZilla
07-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Basically the Same thing the AHL Did, cept for the RED line..

--A player that instigates a fight in the final five minutes of a game will receive a game misconduct and automatic one-game suspension;

^^^ THat Definately Means Dump Boulton for 3rd or 4th line Winger.. and just tell Peters to be Careful..

BTW P... Sent Ya 20 ZBs

Patrick76777
07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
--Officials will have the discretion to wave off icing if it is deemed to be the result of an attempted pass;

[/b]

Wow, I hate these 2! The waive off icing is just going to cause problems.

And I love fighting in hockey. I like those games will all the fights in the last few minutes.

pyrrhonist
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I think the committee watched the Flyers/Senators game from last season right before making that rule. I think it can be excessive at times with all the goonery at the end of some games, but it's part of the game. It's how you "send a message". There are limits to how you do it, but that rule is atrocious. That's a rule I see that was created to appease those who don't understand hockey and call it "barbaric". :down:

don137
07-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Basically the Same thing the AHL Did, cept for the RED line..

^^^ THat Definately Means Dump Boulton for 3rd or 4th line Winger.. and just tell Peters to be Careful..

BTW P... Sent Ya 20 ZBs

So much for wanting to keep fans in there seats. If there is a 2 or more goal lead many fans will leave at the 5 minute mark...

Turf
07-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Sending a message is just plain stupid. If you lose, you lose on the ice with good sportmanship. You don't try and beat the other guy up because you lost.
What major professional sport anywhere in the world condones beating someone up cause you're losing?
I love fighting in hockey but I like this rule. When fights break out in the heat of a battle I'm all for it. But this sending a message mentality and taking cheap shots at players turns fans off.
That's like Eric Moulds catching a TD when we're ahead by 20 and a Miami Dolphin taking a shot at his knees or beating him up cause they lost. IT HAS NO PLACE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, GET OVER IT.

pyrrhonist
07-23-2005, 03:33 PM
That's like Eric Moulds catching a TD when we're ahead by 20 and a Miami Dolphin taking a shot at his knees or beating him up cause they lost. IT HAS NO PLACE IN PROFESSIONAL SPORTS, GET OVER IT.

I think that's a bit excessive for a comparison. I haven't seen anyone in the past few years intentionally slash someone or run someone into the boards to "send a message". The fighting was a bit excessive in a few games last season we had the NHL (Most notably the Ottawa/Philly games), but no one intentionally went to injure a star player.

SabreEleven
07-23-2005, 04:56 PM
I think only two rules needed to be changed.

1) Cut down on goalie equipment
2) Call the rules that were already in the book.

Will teams still get one point for losing in overtime/shootout?

Typ0
07-24-2005, 09:26 AM
I think it's great they are doing something about the fighting...maybe now there will be some better hockey players on the roster instead of everyone having a boxer who can skate. I have been enjoying college level and olympic hockey for years and I resent being told I don't understand the game because I don't like the fighting. It's usually nothing but a ploy by a losing team to throw off the momentum of the game which is a boatload of crap. Hockey is a rough sport and I love to see hard open ice and on the boards checking...if teams want to send a message that's the place to do it as checking IS part of the game and fighting ISN'T!

SkateZilla
07-25-2005, 03:03 AM
NO All Star Weekend, players Otpted to play in the WInter Olympics..

SabreEleven
07-25-2005, 07:08 AM
I see nothing wrong with that.

pyrrhonist
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Is that really a rule change, though? :D

SABuffalo786
07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
No All Star Game?

YES!