PDA

View Full Version : The first contract the Bills should deal with this offseason is...

itsandthings
12-28-2002, 02:39 PM
Travis Henry. Price aside, Henry has shown he is a franchise back and is the key to the long-term success of the Bills on offense. I realize people want to give all the credit to Bledsoe, but the real reason the Bills are improved so much on offense is Henry.

Henry currently has 2 years left on his original 4-year rookie deal with minimum salaries. When it is up after the 2004 season, he will be an unrestricted FA. So why should the Bills re-do his deal? There are many reasons:

1) Henry has earned an upgraded contract with his play, and the Bills should do the right thing.

2) In signing Henry to a lucrative contract extension, they will keep him a Bill long-term at a value rate. If the team waits a year or two to sign him, the cost will only go up.

3) The Bills, with Tom Donahoe in charge, are committed to building via the draft primarily, rather than going out and signing free agents to expensive contracts which create long-term cap problems. Part of that strategy is signing those drafted players that pan out to long-term contracts and not allowing them to leave via free agency. If Henry isn't a core player, no Bill is.

4) Donahoe let a lot of talent leave Pittsburgh when he was there, which may have ultimately led to his being forced out. Pittsburgh had many free agents leave and go on to be Pro Bowlers elsewhere (Rod Woodson, Chad Brown, etc.). Donahoe needs to show he is going to keep the best players in Buffalo.

5) If Henry's contract isn't dealt with soon, his pending free agency could become a distraction to him and his teammates and lead to friction with the front office. Signing him now sends a message to the players that they will be taken care of when they preform. It also sends a message to the fans that the Bills are going to take care of their good players and keep the team competitive long-term.

This is a no-brainer, IMO. Signing Henry to a 4-5 year contact extension with a tiered bonus structure to make it cap friendly. That will give the Bills a rock to build their offense around.

Typ0
12-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Not until he comes out and proves he can go a 10 game stretch without a fumble is he worth negotiating with. The fumbles this season really put a damper on his performance if you ask me. He doesn't have the breakaway speed to go the distance and make up for a fumble either. A lot of upside to Henry but the jury is still out on the overall evaluation.

Michael82
12-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Actually...IMHO...he should work with Peerless Price as much as he can, then sign Mike Hollis to a 2 or 3 year deal and finally work on Travis Henry's contract and a nice big bonus. :D

colin
12-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Not until he comes out and proves he can go a 10 game stretch without a fumble is he worth negotiating with. The fumbles this season really put a damper on his performance if you ask me. He doesn't have the breakaway speed to go the distance and make up for a fumble either. A lot of upside to Henry but the jury is still out on the overall evaluation.

Correct.

HenryRules
12-28-2002, 06:48 PM
I think TH is one of the last places they should look to give out a contract ... RB has to be one of the most injury-prone positions in the NFL and there's no reason to get into a long-term contract at when he still hasn't proven to hold on to the ball reliably. Also, there's been numerous cases where players slump after signing a big-contract, why risk that with TH?

HenryRules
12-28-2002, 06:54 PM
The circumstances under which TD let players leave Pittsburgh were quite different from the current circumstances in Buffalo ... the main reason players left Pittsburgh was the team had no money at all at that time which might now be rectified by their new stadium, but I am unsure. The only reason the Bills will let players walk is if they run out of cap room ... since they would lose cap room by giving TH a new contract, not gain it, signing TH would make it more likely that TD will let players go.
Also, TD was let go in Pitt because Cowher wanted more control over the team and ended up winning a power struggle with TD. Personally, as great as I think TD is, I think Cowher is a greater coach and I would choose Cowher over any front-office/coach in the NFL.