Are Patriots coaching staff way better?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vicmantak
    • Jun 2005

Are Patriots coaching staff way better?...

After loosing Charlie Weis Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel, do you think Patriots still have a better coaching staff right now?

1. Head coach: Bill Belichick vs. Mike Mularkey
    2. Offensive coordinator: None (Belichick/Brady?) vs. Tom Clements
    3. Offensive line: Dante Scarnecchia vs. Jim McNally
    4. Quarterbacks: Josh McDaniels vs. Sam Wyche
    5. Running backs: Ivan Fears vs. Eric Studesville
    6. Tight ends: Pete Mangurian vs. Frank Verducci/Mike Miller
    7. Wide receivers: Brian Daboll vs. Tyke Tolbert
    8. Defensive coordinator: Eric Mangini vs. Jerry Gray
    9. Defensive line: Pepper Johnson vs. Tim Krumrie
    10. Linebackers: Dean Pees vs. Don Blackmon
    11. Defensive backs: Joel Collier vs. Steve Szabo
    12. Special teams: Brady Seely vs. Bobby April
    13. Strength & conditioning: Mike Woicik vs. Brad Roll

1.P
    2.B
    3.B
    4.B
    5.P
    6.P
    7.B
    8.B
    9.B
    10.P
    11.P
    12.B
    13.P

Conclusion: NO. Almost 50-50%

"Defeat is simply a signal to press onward"
    - Helen Keller

"What we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down"

- Mary Pickford

• Bufftp
    Hi Dave!

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Are Patriots coaching staff way better?...

I think your correct. But Belichick is a big advantage so far.
    Photobucket

In the end, there are only three liberal archetypes: The fools, the beneficiaries and the crooks.
    "If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life"
    Optyimus Ignorus Realityious!

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
    - John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

To live in the presence of great truths and eternal laws,
    to be led by permanent ideals -
    that is what keeps a man patient
    when the world ignores him,
    and calm and unspoiled when the world praises him. -- Honore De Balzac

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Flutie will be calling in the plays to Brady.

1st Pats offensive series of the season..

Flutie audibles to Brady on 1st and 10

Flutie: " bootleg"

2nd and 15

Flutie: "Qb draw"

3rd and 15

Flutie "Qb draw"

Brady gets injured and is carted off the field and gone for the season.

IN comes Flutie .

Flutie: "sucker"
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ickybaluky
        • Jul 2003

I'm not sure, as a fan, how you judge that, although the Pats have some of the finest coaching in the NFL.

I don't think you are aware enough about the history of each of the coaches to judge that.

Comment

• 1959BillsFan
          • Mar 2005

Vicman,
          Happy Birthday!!!!!

1. Head coach: Bill Belichick vs. Mike Mularkey
          Pats, BUT BB may have biten off more than he can chew.

2. Offensive coordinator: None (Belichick/Brady?) vs. Tom Clements
          50/50. Clements has not proved himself without Marlarkey having a heavy influence, BUT neither has Belichick.

3. Offensive line: Dante Scarnecchia vs. Jim McNally
          Pats. They have more "talent" and have been developing that talent thru the draft. Something Buffalo has not done for atleast 5 years.

4. Quarterbacks: Josh McDaniels vs. Sam Wyche
          Buffalo, but not by much. Sam Wyche has soooo much experience, but McDaniels has Tom Brady.

5. Running backs: Ivan Fears vs. Eric Studesville
          Pats. Studsville has a talented McGahee who is represented by that bottom feeder Roth???, but Fears has more experience in Cory who has demonstarted he is a TEAM first player.

6. Tight ends: Pete Mangurian vs. Frank Verducci/Mike Miller
          Pats. Mangurian has two 1st Round Draft picks at TE. Both are talented, fast, and smart. I'm not excited about Verducci because he is concentrating more on the o-line duties more than TEs.

7. Wide receivers: Brian Daboll vs. Tyke Tolbert
          Pats. Daboll has done more with less and Josh Reed and Sam Aiken didn't do ANYTHING last year.

8. Defensive coordinator: Eric Mangini vs. Jerry Gray
          Buffalo. Grey will not let his defense become too complacent.

9. Defensive line: Pepper Johnson vs. Tim Krumrie
          Pats. Both are ex-NFL players, but Johnson has more experienced and talented players. That always makes coaching easier.

10. Linebackers: Dean Pees vs. Don Blackmon
          Pats. Again, Pees has BB as the HC and the system has been developed around the LB talents.

11. Defensive backs: Joel Collier vs. Steve Szabo
          Pats. Collier was a coach while Szabo was a volunteer coach for the Pats. Plus the Pats DC was the secondary coach.

12. Special teams: Brady Seely vs. Bobby April
          Buffalo. Bobby April is allowed to use the best available players.

13. Strength & conditioning: Mike Woicik vs. Brad Roll
          Pats. I haven't seen enough of Brad Rolle to see if the players can keep up with the game plan pace. I'm certainly not happy with Lindell's leg strength which I would think should be a function of conditioning.

Pats: 8
          Bills: 3
          Toss-up: 1

I guess I would have to say the biggest advantage the Pats have is BB and his ability to raise positional coaches. That, and the Pats have been drafting better for years, while I don't think Buffalo has drafted OR developed any o- or d-line players adaquately. The Pats flat out have more talent in most positions and they play more like a TEAM.

Comment

• DynaPaul
            • Sep 2003

Hey, someone remind what Belichick's record was when he coached in Cleveland and tried to do it all by himself.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
              Flutie will be calling in the plays to Brady.1st Pats offensive series of the season.. Flutie audibles to Brady on 1st and 10 Flutie: " bootleg"2nd and 15Flutie: "Qb draw"3rd and 15Flutie "Qb draw"Brady gets injured and is carted off the field and gone for the season. IN comes Flutie .Flutie: "sucker"
              I totally see that happening
              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                Maybe?
                • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                Hey, someone remind what Belichick's record was when he coached in Cleveland and tried to do it all by himself.
                5 seasons, 36-44

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

Losing Weis and Crennel could be significant for the Pats this year.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                    • May 2003

Originally posted by TigerJ
                    Losing Weis and Crennel could be significant for the Pats this year.
                    It definitely will have an impact. How great of an impact is yet to be determined. I don't know if they are as good as the Cowboy team that Barry Switzer took over from Jimmy Johnson, or not, but I'll take my chances with Belichick over Switzer any damn day. My point is that coaches can only do so much and it is up to the players to execute on the field.

At this point, I do not believe that the Patriots will make it back for three straight, but make no mistake about it, this team is not rebuilding, they are reloading. This team is far from done.

Comment

• 1959BillsFan
                      • Mar 2005

The way I look at it, if they don't win the SB, they will just capitalize on higher draft picks. They are NOT rebuilding, they just keep developing quality players and back filling with veterans that fit their T-E-A-M philosophy when necessary.

I like the way, these guys see the strength in their lines. That is where they just add every year in the draft. AND it is in the lines that they stress the team spirit and that just flows over and over and over.

Personally, I hate the Pats, but I am jealous of their T-E-A-M approach and their outward team set of values.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DevilPaul
                        You mean the one where he took one of the league's worst teams and, as a first-time HC, lead them to an 11-5 record and the playoffs by the 4th season? Only to have the owner pulling the legs out from under that team a year later?

As long as we are looking back, what of Marv Levy's record was at his first coaching job for 5 years in KC? (31-42, with never higher than a 3rd place finish)

Or can you tell me what Tom Landry's record was his first 5 years in Dallas? (18-46)

Or maybe you don't recall that Chuck Noll was 12-30 in his first 3 years in Pittsburgh.

Or maybe you forget Bill Walsh going 8-24 in his first 2 years taking over the 49ers.

The only thing that matters about Belichick now is his 10-1 career playoff record and 3 Super Bowl victories. The guy has a proven he knows what he is doing.

Comment

• The_Philster
                          • Jul 2002

you sound almost like the people who put everything on the QB without giving credit/blame to the supporting cast..only you're doing it with the head coach and ignoring the contributions that the coordinators made
                          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                            you sound almost like the people who put everything on the QB without giving credit/blame to the supporting cast..only you're doing it with the head coach and ignoring the contributions that the coordinators made
                            How do I sound like that?

Belichick has an excellent history of developing coaches. Look at his Cleveland staffs, which included Nick Saban, Pat Hill and Kirk Ferentz.

People act like Weis and Crennel were the only good coaches on the Pats staff(they are very good coaches, and I wish them well), but they develop excellent coaches.

Guys like Brian Daboll and Eric Mangini are considered rising stars with a chance to be head coaches some day.

Brad Seely is considered one of the leagues best ST coaches (a former ST Coach of the Year winner).

Mike Woicik is probably the most successful S&C coaches in the history of the NFL (6 Super Bowl rings, 3 each with Dallas and NE).

Dante Scarnecchia is one of the most valued assistants in the NFL, and Belichick himself calls him one of the best coaches he has ever been around.

Really, you think the Pats were surprised to lose Weis and Crennel? You think it was unexpected? The Pats have been preparing for this for some time and have a plan in place. It is being way overplayed.

You want to talk about losing Bruschi being a big factor, and I'll agree with you. He is a special player, and won't be easy to replace. The coaching situation is different, because the Pats still have an excellent staff and were prepared for it to happen.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

One other thing, the Pats' game-planning has always been a team effort. They meet as a staff and go design the plan. The positional coaches are assigned tasks as part of the process, like the RB coach being designed to break down the opponents rush defense and outline how to attack it. The coordinators are obviously heavily involved with coordinating the effort and putting it all together, but it isn't like none of the other coaches have ever done it. It isn't just one guy.

Just like it isn't only Belichick, it isn't only the coordinators.

Comment

Working...
                              X