PDA

View Full Version : Miami... playoff chances?

Bling
07-24-2005, 06:21 PM
If the Bills can have a bunch of question marks (including one HUGE one)... why can't Miami have a bunch of question marks and make the playoffs? Miami to me reminds me of the 04-05 Bills. Good ST, Great Defense, Big Question marks on Offense. Who's to say with a new Head Coach that Miami can't make a run for it like the Bills?

Discuss.

Bling
07-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Oh... please keep the homerism out of the thread--I understand it's hard not to say "Well Miami blows because I hate them so they suck so they won't do anything", but I'm asking for a nice conversation between a couple of football fans.

Kolbiss
07-24-2005, 06:31 PM
If the Bills can have a bunch of question marks (including one HUGE one)... why can't Miami have a bunch of question marks and make the playoffs? Miami to me reminds me of the 04-05 Bills. Good ST, Great Defense, Big Question marks on Offense. Who's to say with a new Head Coach that Miami can't make a run for it like the Bills?

Discuss.

I think itall depends on how the QB situation pans out. It is not impossible, but not very probable.

footballhottie
07-24-2005, 06:34 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA.....no

Italian Stallion
07-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Dude, i honestly think Miami will be decent this year, better than last, but not in contention for the playoffs. They might ruin someone elses playoff chances at the end of the season, but thats about it.

There D and special teams isn't near as good as the Bills. The D is older, slower, and less talented. That's not a homer statement, it's the truth.

They have only one solid starting corner, a former Bills reject at FS and a underachiever at SS for starters. The linebackers are solid, but Seau and Thomas are really getting older and slow. The d line is not bad, I think Matt Roth is gonna be a star, but nothing to write home about besides Taylor.

D comparasion:

secondary: Edge to BILLS by far

Linebackers: Edge to Bills by far

D Line: PUSH

With a much weaker D and one special teams star (wes welker), un like the Bills (Mooman, mcgee, stamer, wire) i can't agree with you at all about your comparision of this years fish to last years Bills

Italian Stallion
07-24-2005, 06:36 PM
I think a realistic prediction would be 7-9 or 8-8....

Night Train
07-24-2005, 06:37 PM
If 4-12 makes it, they're in !!

They will play Temple in the first round.

Philisophical Troll
07-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Miami is a very young and talented football team. Plus Nick Saban is a defensive guru looking to turn that franchise around immediately. I like his chances considering they stole Wright in the supplemental draft. Also there's still a guy by the name of Jason Taylor lurking around. If AJ Touchy Feeley can realize his potential as a starter, I can definitely see this team contending for a wild card. The running game should be one of the best in the league with Ricky and Ronnie. We'll see how things pan out though in a loaded AFC East division.

Meathead
07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I think itall depends on how the QB situation pans out. It is not impossible, but not very probable.
:up:

Mostly on the QB's anyway. The OL is still at least half as far away from coming together as the Bills'. And the defense is aging. And we won’t know how the RB spot is until the end of the first quarter season, at the earliest.

If:

- One of the QB’s has a career year as a starter
- The OL gels much quicker than expected
- One of the RB’s becomes a fairly dominant feature back
- The aging defensive starters don’t lose anything more from last year
- The new defensive starters mesh effectively
- ST stays hot
- The new coaching staff can install it’s system exceedingly fast

… then they could contend.

Not very probable.

But when the Bills are in that position my hope springs eternal, too. lol. But true. lol. No, really.

ublinkwescore
07-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Not this season - maybe not even next.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2005, 09:01 PM

Discuss.
I think it is a stretch to say Miami has a great defense when the safeties are borderline serviceable and the DTs are huge question marks. Whose going to play corner opposite Madison?

Bling
07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
I think it is a stretch to say Miami has a great defense when the safeties are borderline serviceable and the DTs are huge question marks. Whose going to play corner opposite Madison?
Kevin Carter, Keith Traylor, Larry Chester, Jeff Zgonina, Wright. Where's the problem?

Corner opposite Madison? Reggie Howard or Travis Daniels. It's unfortunate Poole got hurt, but I'm sure Reggie Howard if Reggie can do what he did in Carolina, we aren't going to miss Patrick Surtain a whole lot (but we will miss him a lot ;))

Free Safety is a question mark. Maybe Lance Schulters has a future here? Tebucky Jones doesn't suck, but the FS position is in need of help.

It's my opinion that the scheme can make up for the talent we've lost. Through the years our depth has also sucked. I think our depth at LB and DL are incredible compared to years past. I don't think we're going from 8th ranked Defense to 20th. I think we can be top 12, and to me, that's a good Defense.

The Natrix
07-24-2005, 09:48 PM
It's about as likely as Mikey82 hooking up with footballhottie.

Captain Obvious
07-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Kevin Carter, Keith Traylor, Larry Chester, Jeff Zgonina, Wright. Where's the problem?

Corner opposite Madison? Reggie Howard or Travis Daniels. It's unfortunate Poole got hurt, but I'm sure Reggie Howard if Reggie can do what he did in Carolina, we aren't going to miss Patrick Surtain a whole lot (but we will miss him a lot ;))

Free Safety is a question mark. Maybe Lance Schulters has a future here? Tebucky Jones doesn't suck, but the FS position is in need of help.

It's my opinion that the scheme can make up for the talent we've lost. Through the years our depth has also sucked. I think our depth at LB and DL are incredible compared to years past. I don't think we're going from 8th ranked Defense to 20th. I think we can be top 12, and to me, that's a good Defense.
Keith Traylor is alright but not great. Is he even going to be on the field 50%
of the time? Is Larry Chester going to be in TC. Doesn't he still have lingering
injury troubles? Manuel Wright has alot of potential but even his D-Line coach as USC said he needed two more years of college.

If you don't sign Lance Schulters, Travares Tillman is poor in pass coverage. REggie Howard is an average cornerback and Travis Daniels is a rookie.
I'm not saying the dolphins have a bad defense or anything. Far from it.
I just think to be a great defense you have to be in the top 5 in the NFL.
The Dolphins weren't a top five defense last year and I don't think they'l be a top 5 defense this year.

FlyingDutchman
07-24-2005, 10:10 PM
I dont like to say it, but the dolphins aren't that bad...they werent that bad last year, they just came up short on some close games....I'm probably the only person last year who bet the dolphins last year against NE when the phins won....won me 200 bucks! :jam:

SABURZFAN
07-25-2005, 06:46 AM

Discuss.

Oh... please keep the homerism out of the thread--

it's too late.your homerism of thinking that you have a great defense in miami killed that.they're decent at best.thomas and taylor are another older and getting slower.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 07:15 AM
Miami is a very young and talented football team. Plus Nick Saban is a defensive guru looking to turn that franchise around immediately. I like his chances considering they stole Wright in the supplemental draft. Also there's still a guy by the name of Jason Taylor lurking around. If AJ Touchy Feeley can realize his potential as a starter, I can definitely see this team contending for a wild card. The running game should be one of the best in the league with Ricky and Ronnie. We'll see how things pan out though in a loaded AFC East division.

Very Young?

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 07:17 AM
They lead the league in Tight End Wife beatings.

Stewie
07-25-2005, 10:37 AM

Discuss.

As much as I hate to say it, Miami's chances at the playoffs look about equal to the Bills'. A strong running game and strong defense always give teams a chance, and it looks like Miami has just that.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 10:49 AM
As much as I hate to say it, Miami's chances at the playoffs look about equal to the Bills'. A strong running game and strong defense always give teams a chance, and it looks like Miami has just that.
Sorry man, but you’re off your rocker!

They have an unproven RB and a RB who just spent the whole year smoking weed and was 185 pounds just a few weeks ago and who will be suspended for the first 4 weeks of the year.

And our defense is 100 times better. Their Secondary is weak, Linebackers very average and they’re making their best defensive player change positions. (Miami fans I don’t need the explanation!)

And lets not forget how terrible that o-line was last year.

AJ Feely was awful. And is it Gus Ferrotte???? That guy was decent 8 years ago.

That team has 2 players on offense. Chris Chambers and the wife beating Tight End.

5 wins MAX!

ryven
07-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I think Miami has an outside chance just like every team out there but the thing they may hold them back is new coaches new DC and new system. The biggest reason buffalo did well last season was nothing really changed on D and that really helped.

Stewie
07-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Sorry man, but you’re off your rocker!

They have an unproven RB and a RB who just spent the whole year smoking weed and was 185 pounds just a few weeks ago and who will be suspended for the first 4 weeks of the year.

And our defense is 100 times better. Their Secondary is weak, Linebackers very average and they’re making their best defensive player change positions. (Miami fans I don’t need the explanation!)

And lets not forget how terrible that o-line was last year.

AJ Feely was awful. And is it Gus Ferrotte???? That guy was decent 8 years ago.

That team has 2 players on offense. Chris Chambers and the wife beating Tight End.

5 wins MAX!

I'll give you that their defense might need some time to adjust to a new scheme, but their defensive talent isn't bad. They went 2-2 the last four games of the season, and lost those two games by 6 points total. And they beat the super bowl champs during that stretch.

RB's have the easiest transition from college to the NFL. If Brown is any good, we'll find out right away. And I'd take Ricky over any of our backups in less than a heartbeat. How do you know he was 185 pounds? Cause you read it on the internet, right?

Crisis
07-25-2005, 01:47 PM
RB's have the easiest transition from college to the NFL. I
Tell that to Curtis Enis and Ron Dayne.

Bling
07-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Tell that to Curtis Enis and Ron Dayne. It's true though. RB's tend notto have problems adjusting like QB's do.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-25-2005, 01:53 PM
Right now....their playoff chances are slim. There are just too many question marks. However, if they get off to a solid start...don't even have to win games, just get established....I don't see why they couldn't be in contention for a spot if the ball bounces their way, they stay healthy, and they are playing as a team.

mysticsoto
07-25-2005, 01:55 PM

:lolabove:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-25-2005, 01:59 PM
Another way to look at it, at this point....is this: What other teams in the NFL have less of a chance to make the playoffs this season?

My thoughts: San Fran, Cleveland....ummmmm................that's about all I can come up with.
Green Bay, Tennesee, NY Giants, Cards, Tampa Bay and Chicago are on about the same level as the Dolphins.
The Bills, Lions, Texans, Cowboys, Bengals, Raiders, Rams, and Saints are all on about the same level, just a notch above the aforementioned teams. A lot will have to go right for any of these teams to get to the playoffs.

Stewie
07-25-2005, 02:03 PM

Yea. And they were busts. That's why my next sentence was "If Brown is any good, we'll find out right away"

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
And I'd take Ricky over any of our backups in less than a heartbeat. How do you know he was 185 pounds? Cause you read it on the internet, right?

Well I wasn't there to weigh him!!!!!!

WTF What is that supposed to prove. Yeah, I heard it on the net.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Ki Jana Carter and Rashan Salaam.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 02:06 PM
I'll give you that their defense might need some time to adjust to a new scheme, but their defensive talent isn't bad. They went 2-2 the last four games of the season, and lost those two games by 6 points total. And they beat the super bowl champs during that stretch.

RB's have the easiest transition from college to the NFL. If Brown is any good, we'll find out right away. And I'd take Ricky over any of our backups in less than a heartbeat. How do you know he was 185 pounds? Cause you read it on the internet, right?
One more thing, I wouldn’t take that little ***** on my team in a 100 trillion heartbeats.

He’s a quitter!

Stewie
07-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Well I wasn't there to weigh him!!!!!!

WTF What is that supposed to prove. Yeah, I heard it on the net.

It proved that your arugument had no basis in reality.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 02:14 PM
It proved that your arugument had no basis in reality.

Yeah, OK Paul. Whatever you say.

Stewie
07-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, OK Paul. Whatever you say.

I'm glad you see things my way.

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm glad you see things my way.

must have gotten under your skin with that "off your rocker" comments.

Now you post, "No, you didn't get under my skin at all"

Stewie
07-25-2005, 02:39 PM
must have gotten under your skin with that "off your rocker" comments.

Now you post, "No, you didn't get under my skin at all"

Why are you still talking?

SABURZFAN
07-25-2005, 02:52 PM

true statement.that's a pos rep. :up:

The_Philster
07-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Ki Jana Carter and Rashan Salaam.Ki-Jana got hurt pretty quickly...never totally recovered

Bill Brasky
07-25-2005, 05:21 PM
they'll win 6 games this season, as I've been saying in all the "predict records" threads.

They're better than last year, but they're still not a playoff team. Their defense is good, but not as good as everybody thinks. it's getting older and losing Surtain will hurt them more than they realize.

They're a QB away from maybe contending for a playoff spot.