PDA

View Full Version : Are Tim Connolly's problems from the Islanders?

starfirestar
12-28-2002, 04:07 PM
In my opininion, the Isles rushed this guy. He came into the league when he was an 18 or 19 year old kid. And the Isles would throw all this ice time at him and pressure him to be a 100 point centerman his first year. Rushing players turns them into average players. Look at Kalinin. Everybody thought he was going to be the next Ray Borque. Looks like hes developing into another Zhitnik to me.

sabresfan18
12-28-2002, 04:57 PM
maybe..i think the sabres need to wait on connolly..he is and will be a good producing player..he's still young and can help the sabres in the future

SkateZilla
12-28-2002, 06:19 PM
his problem is the coach.

Non Supportive yet non encouraging as well.

Lindy Ruff's Style of play shows he was way to dependant on HASEK stopping goals more than on his offense scoring goals.

Novacane
12-28-2002, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by sabresfan18
..he is and will be a good producing player..

What games have you been watching? Will he be a good producing player in the future? Maybe but I doubt it. He does not play with heart. If you think he is a good producing player now I hate to see what you think a player who is not producing is!

Novacane
12-28-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SkateZilla
his problem is the coach.

Non Supportive yet non encouraging as well.

Lindy Ruff's Style of play shows he was way to dependant on HASEK stopping goals more than on his offense scoring goals.

WHile I'm with you that Ruff is a problem I don't think he is Connallys problem.

Ebenezer
12-28-2002, 10:29 PM
The problem is...

HE SUCKS!! 4 years in the league and he is the second coming of Paul Cyr...the guy can't hit the net...on one shift during the wild game he went 3 for 3...he missed the net wide right 3 times...he is horrible. he can't check, he can't hit and he can't score...he doesn't play defense...he needs to go to a western conference team...NOW!!!

SkateZilla
12-29-2002, 04:07 PM
Ebenezer.

A western team wouldnt help him.

he needs about 30 games in the AHL to even ake his ass up.

PLayers for Norfolk admirals(AHL) play better than him.

Sabre Ally
12-29-2002, 06:39 PM
At least if he was in the Western Conference we wouldn't have to see him very often. :snicker:

starfirestar
12-29-2002, 09:48 PM
Doesn't everybody see that he was rushed? Both the Islanders and Sabres looked at him wrong. You can look at a guy like Marian Gaborik who of course, is a very mature guy for his age. He doesn't get cockey, and plays good defensively. Tim Connolly came into the league I think when he was 18. Look at the young superstars on the rise. Boston was extremely careful with Joe Thorton. They didn't play him a lot his first couple seasons. They weined him in. Same with Sergie Samsonov. And look at how they turned out. When you rush guys, they break and turn into Wes Walz's. Kalinin doesn't look like hes going to live up to his potential. Brian Cambell just sucks. I mean, is this guy a winger or a defensman? Play your position buddy!!!!! And does Kalinin belong on the #1 PP unit? That is really rushing him. Hes starting to look like another Zhitnik. And we don't need another Zhitnik.

HenryRules
12-29-2002, 10:01 PM
I don't really agree with the line of thinking that rushing a player ruins them. Players who play in the NHL by the age of 20 have a much higher long-term success rate than those who don't play in the NHL by the age of 20 drafted at a similar position. Its just that highly-rated players who end up toiling in the minors for the length of their career normally get forgotten instead of being considered a bust. Connolly sucks basically because he never panned out ... I don't think it has much to do with being rushed or the current coaching ... sometimes guys just don't develop the way they're expected to and he's an example.
As a counterpoint to the Islanders ruining Connelly, Bryan Berard grew up in the same Islanders system and played at a very early age (especially for a defenseman) and he's playing really solid for the B's right now even after missing about a year and half I think due to injury.

don137
12-30-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
The problem is...

HE SUCKS!! 4 years in the league and he is the second coming of Paul Cyr...the guy can't hit the net...on one shift during the wild game he went 3 for 3...he missed the net wide right 3 times...he is horrible. he can't check, he can't hit and he can't score...he doesn't play defense...he needs to go to a western conference team...NOW!!!

Thanks Eb for mentioning Paul Cyr. You just made me cringe and cause the 5 hairs on my back to stand up.
I personally think he should be sent down to Rochester until the Sabres know what's going on with there franchise. If things works out and Buffalo stays then call him back up after Ruff is fired. I am not sold yet that he is hockeys version of Rob Johnson and just exhibits potential but doesn't get the job done. Ruff's system is killing players confidence but I think Ruff's job is safe until the Sabres know what is there future and the day they find out they are staying in Buffalo Ruff will be fired. If Buffalo is not staying in Buffalo Rff will finish the season.

Earthquake Enyart
12-30-2002, 11:42 AM
I'd trade Connolley for Wes Walz. I'd even throw in a bag of pucks and a flat zamboni tire.

Hell, I'd trade Connolley for Cyr at this point.

sabresfan18
01-04-2003, 01:36 PM
tim connolly will start producing i think...maybe ruff needs to bench him for a game for a learning experience..or develop him...watch the sabres will trade connolly and he'll be the next Lemieux

Don Cherry
01-04-2003, 03:37 PM
The next Jocylen Lemieux maybe....:rolleyes: