PDA

View Full Version : Preseason playing time for JP

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Thoughts?

justasportsfan
07-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Thoughts? Split w/ Holcomb. I say 40/40 and 20 goes to Shane. It's as important for Holcomb to get familiar w/ the first team/2nd team in case JP bombs .

Pride
07-25-2005, 11:11 AM
nope.. 80/20 in games 2-4, shane can play in the first game.

I do not feel that kelly needs at much work... he has already been a starting QB in the NFL, JP needs to learn the SPEED of the game, more than kelly does...

OpIv37
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM

I do not feel that kelly needs at much work... he has already been a starting QB in the NFL, JP needs to learn the SPEED of the game, more than kelly does...

I don't know if I want JP working with the backup line/receivers though- they'll get him killed.

Tatonka
07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
i say the same as pride..

i want losman out there alot.. to learn the speed of the game and to see him takes some hits and get up.

Pride
07-25-2005, 11:15 AM
Remmber tho... the 2nd team O is going up againt 2nd team def's... wont be such a mismatch.

Obviously I dont want him to be taking risks.. like QB sneaks and whatnot... but screens, posts, hot reads, etc...

Patrick76777
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM

I was thinking a half in week 1, 3 quarters in weeks 2 and 3 but in the last game, I'd go 15 minutes. If he ain't learned it by the 4th preseason game, we're in trouble anyway.

Tatonka
07-25-2005, 11:19 AM
I was thinking a half in week 1, 3 quarters in weeks 2 and 3 but in the last game, I'd go 15 minutes. If he ain't learned it by the 4th preseason game, we're in trouble anyway.

i could live with that.

justasportsfan
07-25-2005, 11:54 AM

I do not feel that kelly needs at much work... he has already been a starting QB in the NFL, JP needs to learn the SPEED of the game, more than kelly does...Kelly needs to get familiar w/ his new teammates too. I don't want him trying to have chemistry in the middle of the season. Jp will learn the speed of the game practicing against the 2nd best D in the league. Not against players who are already in the team and running vanilla D's during pre-season.

Ed
07-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Like every player and coach has been saying, the more reps JP gets the more comfortable he'll get and the better off he'll be. We need to give him as many plays as possible in the pre-season without wearing him out before the opener. We can't constantly be worrying about injuries and we have a very capable back-up in Holcomb. If JP and the team can benefit from more playing time during the preseason then it's definitely worth it.

Kerr
07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Unlike Willis, we can afford to have Losman playing more in the preseason because of the luxury of having Kelly Holcomb. Holcomb is a good back qb, who can do well as a starter if the scenario came into play. My guess is that the coaching staff feels confident giving Losman a lot of playing time because of our insurance.

Jan Reimers
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM
i say the same as pride..

i want losman out there alot.. to learn the speed of the game and to see him takes some hits and get up.
Absolutely. His biggest problem is lack of playing time. He has to play plenty in the preseason.

BigZ
07-25-2005, 10:25 PM
First 3 games should go 50/50. Last game only a quarter. Shane has shown that he doesn't need much time. Let him play a lot in the finale.

I agree with all that said JP needs to learn the speed of the game - and how fast he needs to make reads and decisions.

pleasesavedrew
07-25-2005, 11:21 PM
he should be in as long as the rest of the first unit is in

camelcowboy
07-25-2005, 11:26 PM
JP should play the 1st half of each game. Along with the 1st O-line.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-26-2005, 01:24 AM
I think it will depend on what the coaches see from JP in the practice sessions.

They will probably start out with a base-line of 50% in the first three games and a quarter in the fourth game, with the first team--which is close to what Bledsoe played last preseason--and adjust off of there depending on how much work they think that JP, Holcomb and the other QBs need.

Preseason playing time with and against the 2nd string units isn't going to be that helpful for JP. If last preseason showed anything it is that the speed and intensity in the preseason isn't quite the same as it is in the regular season. Also, while he didn't log a lot of time or throw many passes, JP did get enough time in his mop-up appearances last season to get an idea of the speed of the game. Indeed, perhaps the best thing that happened to JP last season was his horrible performance in his first appearance of the season against New England: he got a good idea of the speed of one of the best defenses in the league and of what happens to a QB who is unprepared when he steps out onto the field in the NFL. He was much better in his subsequent appearances, which probably equate to about a quarter of preseason action.

I think the coaches will give him as many reps in practice as they can and still get the other QBs prepared for the season and, then, adjust how much time they give JP in the preseason based on that and what he shows in each preseason appearance. I don't think he gets more than a half, though, unless they really think that he needs to work more on something in particular.

The_Philster
07-26-2005, 04:55 AM
1/4, 1/4, 1/2, 2 series

Jan Reimers
07-26-2005, 08:26 AM
he should be in as long as the rest of the first unit is in
And that first unit should include EVERY starter, including Willis.

BillsFanCupp38
07-26-2005, 12:48 PM
I think JP should get a lot of playing time so he can get some looks. Hes gonna need as many as he can get. The more he plays the better he will get and if he plays like **** his first few tries out, i would rather it be a preseason game than a regular season game.

McGahee420
07-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I think JP should get a lot of playing time so he can get some looks. Hes gonna need as many as he can get. The more he plays the better he will get and if he plays like **** his first few tries out, i would rather it be a preseason game than a regular season game.
I think he should, but not more than a QTR or 2 a game. I think he does need the practice and experience, but I just hate preseason because of the injuries. Losing Milloy last year really sucked a fatty and I don't want to see another one of our starters go down again. But I agree with you, I would rather see the rust/$h!tty play in the preseason also.

Michael82
07-26-2005, 02:03 PM
10-12 quarters