PDA

View Full Version : Red Wings waive Hatcher, McCarty, Whitney

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 03:20 PM
Red Wings waive Hatcher, McCarty, Whitney

http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20031017/hatcher_73603.jpg

Associated Press

7/25/2005 3:04:55 PM

DETROIT (AP) - The Detroit Red Wings moved to shed salary Monday, placing defenceman Derian Hatcher and forwards Darren McCarty and Ray Whitney on waivers.

If the trio go unclaimed, the Red Wings have the option of buying out their contracts and making them unrestricted free agents.

"They've been a big, big part of our franchise," Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said. "This is just a part of doing business right now with the new CBA."

The NHL's new collective bargaining agreement features a $39-million salary cap, and teams were granted a six-day window starting last Saturday to shed cumbersome contracts.

For the upcoming season, including the 24 per cent rollback, Hatcher's contract calls for a salary of $4.94 million, McCarty $1.71 million and Whitney $2.66 million.

Hatcher, a former Dallas Stars captain, signed with Detroit as a free agent before the 2003-04 season. Considered at the time to be one of the best all-around defencemen in the league, the big bruising Hatcher had little impact with his hometown team, tearing a knee ligament in the third game and missing the majority of that season.

Whitney, 33, also signed as a free agent with the Wings during 2003. He had 24 goals and 52 assists the season before with Columbus, and the Red Wings hoped he could fill the void created when Sergei Fedorov signed with Anaheim. With Detroit in 2003-04, Whitney managed 14 goals and 29 assists.

McCarty, who has spent his entire 11-year career with Detroit, is a fan favourite whose playing style embodies the blue-collar spirit of the city. McCarty, 33, won three Stanley Cups with the Wings and scored the winning goal against Philadelphia in 1997.

"He's a hard-working, roll-up-your-sleeves kind of guy," Nill said. "He's really what the city's all about. He came every night to play hard. He was a big part of our success."

McCarty is known for hammering Colorado's Claude Lemieux during a 1997 brawl that came only months after Lemieux incensed Hockeytown with a blindside check on Kris Draper that sent the Red Wings forward into the boards face-first. Draper sustained a fractured jaw, a broken nose and severe facial lacerations and had to undergo surgery.

Turf
07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
I love this salary cap in the NHL. Its starting to feel like a real sport already, teams shedding players for cap reasons. It brings balance to the league, it's happening already.

Crisis
07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
Darren McCarty is a "Ruff-player" IMO. I think he'd be a good fit if he would be affordable.

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
BLo needs more scoring.... Whitney is very underrated.....

Crisis
07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
BLo needs more scoring.... Whitney is very underrated.....
We need more scoring, but let's be realistic. Darcy "Big Move" Regier is our GM. You know, the guy who makes blockbuster trades like Bob friggin' Corkum?

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
We need more scoring, but let's be realistic. Darcy "Big Move" Regier is our GM. You know, the guy who makes blockbuster trades like Bob friggin' Corkum?
I'm not saying what WILL happen... I know next to nothing about the Sabres FO.... but, as an outside observer, I see a guy like Whitney, who is VASTLY underrated, as a guy that a team that might want to show some love to when the top dogs haven't show Buffalo any.

Crisis
07-25-2005, 08:34 PM
I'd cream myself if we somehow got Forsberg and a solid defenseman, but I highly doubt that'll happen. The Sabres will end up pimping another prospect from Rochester into the line-up.

Crisis
07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying what WILL happen... I know next to nothing about the Sabres FO.... but, as an outside observer, I see a guy like Whitney, who is VASTLY underrated, as a guy that a team that might want to show some love to when the top dogs haven't show Buffalo any.
The Sabres will want to keep a lower payroll (that's a guess, but probably will happen)...Like I said knowing DR we'll be seeing alot of Rochester players to make up for him doing nothing in FA.

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
I doubt they sign a "markee" name, but i bet they find a couple underrated vets to go with some excellent younger players.

Dozerdog
07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
Let's see what freedoms the new CBA gives Buffalo and Rieger.

Remember- he had a crook owning the team who cooked the books. Buffalo never had any money. When Golisano bought them - the strike was coming so it was probably wise to take a wait-and-see approach.

If they continue to be frugal with a billionaire owner and an "allmost there' roster- then I'll join you in the ***** fest.

If I recall, when the Sabres were a cup contender, Rieger did make some good moves.

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:45 PM
Ah yes... feels pretty damn good having Bob Gainey as our GM..... :D

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
07-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Let's see what freedoms the new CBA gives Buffalo and Rieger.

Remember- he had a crook owning the team who cooked the books. Buffalo never had any money. When Golisano bought them - the strike was coming so it was probably wise to take a wait-and-see approach.

If they continue to be frugal with a billionaire owner and an "allmost there' roster- then I'll join you in the ***** fest.

If I recall, when the Sabres were a cup contender, Rieger did make some good moves.

These are the moves that Darcy has made that has helped this Organization

Grosek for Gilmore & Dumont STEAL!
Barnaby for Barnes STEAL!
Gratton for Brierre STEAL!
Warrener for Drury STEAL! and another guy from Calgary I fogot his name though :sorry:

pyrrhonist
07-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Gratton for Briere STEAL!

This was a highway robbery, not just a steal. :D

Briere is the hardest working player on the Sabres now, as well as their most explosive on offense. Gratton was nothing more than a pylon. I know that Regier hasn't always been bad, and I do acknowledge that Rigass is to blame for a great deal of our financial problems the past years.

Let's just hope that the "new" playing field will yield some quality players for our favorite hockey team in NY. :up: