PDA

View Full Version : With shootouts deciding ties

Dozerdog
07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
With your average team playing 10-15 ties a season, will teams like the Sabres or other offensively challenged clubs find it wise to pay (or even overpay) for at least a few guys who are money on a breakaway? Even if they are defensive liabilities???

I'd really hope if Alex Mogilny or someone like that is available in FAcy- Buffalo would bite.

Discuss

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
With your average team playing 10-15 ties a season, will teams like the Sabres or other offensively challenged clubs find it wise to pay (or even overpay) for at least a few guys who are money on a breakaway? Even if they are defensive liabilities???

I'd really hope if Alex Mogilny or someone like that is available in FAcy- Buffalo would bite.

Discuss
All I know is Pavel Datsyuk just become INCREDIBLY valuable.... Mario is the only person i've ever seen better on breakaways.....

Crisis
07-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Tim Connolly might have some value, he's a wuss but he'd be perfect in a shoot-out IMO.

Turf
07-25-2005, 11:13 PM
What have they decided is the point system for OT wins and losses. Are they going to a 3 point system?

SkateZilla
07-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Tim Connolly might have some value, he's a wuss but he'd be perfect in a shoot-out IMO.

2 Minutes On Ice A Game, ANd ALways in the shootout.. haha..

SkateZilla
07-25-2005, 11:29 PM
What have they decided is the point system for OT wins and losses. Are they going to a 3 point system?

Regulation Win = 2 Pts,
OT Win = 2 Pts,
Shootout Win = 2 pts,
Ot Loss = 1 Pts
Shootout Loss = 1 pts,

Canadian'eh!
07-26-2005, 04:06 AM
Regulation Win = 2 Pts,
OT Win = 2 Pts,
Shootout Win = 2 pts,
Ot Loss = 1 Pts
Shootout Loss = 1 pts,
so are the standings gonna look like:

22-13-2-1-0-1-2

?

j/k

The_Philster
07-26-2005, 05:04 AM
What have they decided is the point system for OT wins and losses. Are they going to a 3 point system?sticking with the system they've been using. Larry Quinn is on record as saying that a 3-point system would make things a mess...a lot of teams would be out of the running a lot sooner

Turf
07-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Regulation Win = 2 Pts,
OT Win = 2 Pts,
Shootout Win = 2 pts,
Ot Loss = 1 Pts
Shootout Loss = 1 pts,

So a win will always be 2 points, and an OT loss will always be one (tie). Seems overly complicated the way they lay it out.
Personally I think the 3 point system has some merit. I'd like to see a team get 2 points for a win, and 3 points if they win by 4 goals or more. That would bring some offense to the game and drama even in runaway games.
I still think they need more incentive to win in regulation.