PDA

View Full Version : More Forgotten Bills

BillyT92679
12-28-2002, 07:57 PM
Digging WAY deep for these ones.
All from the 1992 AFC Champion team.

Al Edwards (WR, cannot remember this guy for the life of me, but some statistics saying he played for them that year)

Brad Lamb (backup WR)

Clifford Hicks (DB, forgot TOTALLY about this guy- also returned some punts)

James Williams (DB, also forgot just about COMPLETELY about this guy too, even though he was a first round draft pick, probably best remembered for returning a blocked punt against the Raiders in 1990. I would say the least remembered 1st round Bills draft pick of the last fifteen years. Both he and Hicks were greatly overshadowed by Nate Odomes and Henry Jones)

The Bills are the greatest team ever.

BillyT92679
12-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Sorry for the odd syntax in the last post.

Cntrygal
12-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Edwards, Lamb, Hicks, Williams...... geesh.. I don't remember these guys right off either. Good Find!

:eek:

Dozerdog
12-28-2002, 11:13 PM
TE Keith McKeller.

That guy could have been a Shannon Sharpe type. He had speed, size, and decent hands. To bad injuries took their toll on him

The_Philster
12-29-2002, 05:06 AM
James (J.D.) Williams even started for us.

Judge
12-29-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by BillyT92679
Digging WAY deep for these ones.
All from the 1992 AFC Champion team.

Al Edwards (WR, cannot remember this guy for the life of me, but some statistics saying he played for them that year)

Brad Lamb (backup WR)

Clifford Hicks (DB, forgot TOTALLY about this guy- also returned some punts)

James Williams (DB, also forgot just about COMPLETELY about this guy too, even though he was a first round draft pick, probably best remembered for returning a blocked punt against the Raiders in 1990. I would say the least remembered 1st round Bills draft pick of the last fifteen years. Both he and Hicks were greatly overshadowed by Nate Odomes and Henry Jones)

The Bills are the greatest team ever.

None of these guys are that obscure. Williams didn't pan out, but he started some games for the Bills and made a memorable play or 2 while here- remember the home game in 1990 when he broke up the pass from Randall Cunningham when Bruce almost sacked Randall for a safety, Randall heeved the ball, and Williams broke it up to prevent a 99-yard TD?

Dozerdog
12-29-2002, 06:57 AM
Didn't they score on that play? I remember Cunningham connected on a 90 yarder at the half.

That was the game where the No- huddle was broken out as a permanent offensive fixture. We went up something like 24 -0 early. Philly rallied, but fell short.

Doc
12-29-2002, 09:04 AM
Brad Lamb looked like Tasker did when the Bills pressed him into WR duty in 1995. I thought he could have been a good WR but he faded quickly. Edwards was mostly a returnman and Williams was a bust. I think I read that they later discovered that he had problems with depth perception which is why he was a bust at the NFL level. Hicks was a just a dime back IIRC.

BillyT92679
12-29-2002, 02:08 PM
It was a connection for a touchdown, 95 yards. Bruce had him in his clutches, Randall juked out, and heaved it long to Fred Barnett for the td. Bills won 30-23.
I remember how ironic running the no huddle was for the Bills at the game. The Bills complained vociferously about the Bengals doing the no huddle in the 88 AFC Championship game.

BillyT92679
12-29-2002, 02:11 PM
Wasn't Williams drafted because of Derrick Burroughs' injury? I could be wrong on that. It seems like every year the Bills draft a DB in the first round.

Dozerdog
12-29-2002, 07:11 PM
There was a significant difference between the Bengals no huddle and the Bills no huddle

The Bengals basically were quick snapping the ball catching teams with too many men on the field, offside, ect. They weren't using it as an offensive philosophy.

The Bills no huddle was born in the 1989 playoff loss to the Browns. The famous Ronnie Harmon "drop" of a TD catch on the second to last play of the game.

Anyway, the Bills were behind in that game all second half and employed a no huddle 2 minute offense with Kelly calling the plays. They lost that game 34-30, but the success moving the ball vs the Browns was the impetus behind Ted Marchibroda's K-Gun.