OUCH... Peerless no longer starter in ATL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

OUCH... Peerless no longer starter in ATL.

starting over Price as Falcons camp opens

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- While the Atlanta Falcons await the receiver they drafted in the first round, 2004 top pick Michael Jenkins opened training camp as a starter over Peerless Price.

When quarterback Michael Vick stood behind center for the first snap of team drills Monday, Jenkins and Dez White were the first-team receivers. Price and Brian Finneran worked together as the second group of receivers. Roddy White, this year's first-round pick from Alabama-Birmingham, has not yet signed.

Jenkins said he was told "a couple of days ago" that he would open camp as the starter.

"That's what we're going with so far," Jenkins said. "It's early right now. We'll see how it goes.

"I just want to come out here and continue to work and keep learning from the best and try to help this team as much as possible."

Jenkins did not have his first catch in his rookie season until Week 8 and he finished with only seven receptions for 119 yards. But the 6-foot-4, 217-pound Jenkins made a big impression on the coaching staff both with his audition at receiver and his work on special teams as a rookie.

"One of the reasons Michael Jenkins is getting the look he is getting is he demonstrated to us on special teams he is a tough guy and he will play aggressively and he will fight people," said coach Jim Mora.

Price has been criticized for his lack of aggressiveness and his shortage of big plays in his two seasons in Atlanta.

The Falcons traded a first-round draft pick in 2003 to Buffalo for Price, who then signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. Price caught 64 passes, including only three for touchdowns, in 2003, and was second on the team with 45 receptions for 575 yards and three touchdowns last year.

"I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities to make plays last year," Price said.

With Buffalo, Price caught 16 scoring passes in the 2001-02 seasons, but in Atlanta he has had to adjust to a run-oriented offense with Vick, Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett.

Still, Mora says he wants more production from his receivers. He said earlier this summer the veteran Price would have to compete for a starting job, and more motivation for Price came with the unveiling of the training camp depth chart.

Price insisted he sees this summer's challenge as no different from any other season.

"It's like that every year," Price said. "Every year you go into camp like that. I'm not one of those guys who feels like my job is secure ever.

"I feel good. I just want to go out there and make plays."

When asked what he believes he must do to retain the starting job, Jenkins said "Just make plays."

"When the ball comes my way, take advantage of it and get yards and help this team," Jenkins said. "Take advantage of the opportunity."

• Meathead
    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: OUCH... Peerless no longer starter in ATL.

Peerless

More like Peerfull.
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• elltrain22
      • Sep 2003

It's too bad he got a big head, wanted big money, and could've been way better off along side Moulds. It just shows that greed can sometimes come back and bite you in a major way.

HOpe the same thing happens to T.O.
      If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22
        It's too bad he got a big head, wanted big money, and could've been way better off along side Moulds. It just shows that greed can sometimes come back and bite you in a major way.

HOpe the same thing happens to T.O.
        me too but it's unlikely- unlike Price, T.O. can actually play without a Pro Bowler on the other side of the O line.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
          • Apr 2005

Tom Donahoe

Comment

• Gunzlingr
            • Jul 2002

goes to show that vick sucks at the passing game
            You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• MDFINFAN
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
              That's my assessment, I don't think Price has had the chances he did in Buf.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
                Originally posted by MDFINFAN
                That's my assessment, I don't think Price has had the chances he did in Buf.
                If I didn't know better, I'd say these are half-assed compliments for Bledsoe.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                  Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Price

Willis

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                    • Mar 2004

If not for PP we wouldn't have Willis OR Evans.

he played well for us but between no help on the other side and Ron Mexico, how can you really measure his talent?

I say not a #1 but still a great #2. i hope they cut him so he can go somewhere better....
                    Last edited by Canadian'eh!; 07-25-2005, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      If I didn't know better, I'd say these are half-assed compliments for Bledsoe.
                      Well Drew does throw better than vick.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• pleasesavedrew
                        • Feb 2005

good
                        Remember the past(11), embrace the future(7)

Comment

• camelcowboy
                          • Mar 2005

McGahee is the highlight of TD's career in Buffalo. Trading Peerless for that first rounder was real slick.

Comment

• camelcowboy
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                            If not for PP we wouldn't have Willis OR Evans.

he played well for us but between no help on the other side and Ron Mexico, how can you really measure his talent?

I say not a #1 but still a great #2. i hope they cut him so he can go soemwhere better....
                            His talent was subpar. His hands are so-so, and had a tendancy to put the ball on the ground, and he ran sloppy routes. His game is too much speed. Thats why Evans is a better receiver, great hands, really good at running routes, and still has the blazing speed.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by camelcowboy
                              His talent was subpar. His hands are so-so, and had a tendancy to put the ball on the ground, and he ran sloppy routes. His game is too much speed. Thats why Evans is a better receiver, great hands, really good at running routes, and still has the blazing speed.
                              Hey I'd take Evans over PP any day of the week and twice on sunday... I just don't think PP is as good as he showed here OR as bad as he seems there.

Comment

Working...
                              X