PDA

View Full Version : OUCH... Peerless no longer starter in ATL.

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
starting over Price as Falcons camp opens
<!-- begin text11 div -->

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- While the Atlanta Falcons await the receiver they drafted in the first round, 2004 top pick Michael Jenkins opened training camp as a starter over Peerless Price.

When quarterback Michael Vick stood behind center for the first snap of team drills Monday, Jenkins and Dez White were the first-team receivers. Price and Brian Finneran worked together as the second group of receivers. Roddy White, this year's first-round pick from Alabama-Birmingham, has not yet signed.

Jenkins said he was told "a couple of days ago" that he would open camp as the starter.

"That's what we're going with so far," Jenkins said. "It's early right now. We'll see how it goes.

"I just want to come out here and continue to work and keep learning from the best and try to help this team as much as possible."

Jenkins did not have his first catch in his rookie season until Week 8 and he finished with only seven receptions for 119 yards. But the 6-foot-4, 217-pound Jenkins made a big impression on the coaching staff both with his audition at receiver and his work on special teams as a rookie.

"One of the reasons Michael Jenkins is getting the look he is getting is he demonstrated to us on special teams he is a tough guy and he will play aggressively and he will fight people," said coach Jim Mora.

Price has been criticized for his lack of aggressiveness and his shortage of big plays in his two seasons in Atlanta.

The Falcons traded a first-round draft pick in 2003 to Buffalo for Price, who then signed a seven-year, $42 million contract. Price caught 64 passes, including only three for touchdowns, in 2003, and was second on the team with 45 receptions for 575 yards and three touchdowns last year.

"I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities to make plays last year," Price said.

With Buffalo, Price caught 16 scoring passes in the 2001-02 seasons, but in Atlanta he has had to adjust to a run-oriented offense with Vick, Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett.

Still, Mora says he wants more production from his receivers. He said earlier this summer the veteran Price would have to compete for a starting job, and more motivation for Price came with the unveiling of the training camp depth chart.

Price insisted he sees this summer's challenge as no different from any other season.

"It's like that every year," Price said. "Every year you go into camp like that. I'm not one of those guys who feels like my job is secure ever.

"I feel good. I just want to go out there and make plays."

When asked what he believes he must do to retain the starting job, Jenkins said "Just make plays."

"When the ball comes my way, take advantage of it and get yards and help this team," Jenkins said. "Take advantage of the opportunity."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Meathead
07-25-2005, 08:36 PM
:lolpoint: Peerless

More like Peerfull.

elltrain22
07-25-2005, 08:52 PM
It's too bad he got a big head, wanted big money, and could've been way better off along side Moulds. It just shows that greed can sometimes come back and bite you in a major way.

HOpe the same thing happens to T.O.

OpIv37
07-25-2005, 08:58 PM
It's too bad he got a big head, wanted big money, and could've been way better off along side Moulds. It just shows that greed can sometimes come back and bite you in a major way.

HOpe the same thing happens to T.O.

me too but it's unlikely- unlike Price, T.O. can actually play without a Pro Bowler on the other side of the O line.

FlyingDutchman
07-25-2005, 09:02 PM
:bf1: Tom Donahoe

Gunzlingr
07-25-2005, 09:08 PM
goes to show that vick sucks at the passing game

MDFINFAN
07-25-2005, 09:22 PM

That's my assessment, I don't think Price has had the chances he did in Buf.

OpIv37
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM

That's my assessment, I don't think Price has had the chances he did in Buf.

If I didn't know better, I'd say these are half-assed compliments for Bledsoe.

Mr. Miyagi
07-25-2005, 10:05 PM
:lolpoint: Price

:bf1: Willis

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 10:07 PM
If not for PP we wouldn't have Willis OR Evans.

he played well for us but between no help on the other side and Ron Mexico, how can you really measure his talent?

I say not a #1 but still a great #2. i hope they cut him so he can go somewhere better....

MDFINFAN
07-25-2005, 11:07 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd say these are half-assed compliments for Bledsoe.

Well Drew does throw better than vick.

pleasesavedrew
07-25-2005, 11:19 PM
good

camelcowboy
07-25-2005, 11:30 PM
McGahee is the highlight of TD's career in Buffalo. Trading Peerless for that first rounder was real slick.

camelcowboy
07-25-2005, 11:34 PM
If not for PP we wouldn't have Willis OR Evans.

he played well for us but between no help on the other side and Ron Mexico, how can you really measure his talent?

I say not a #1 but still a great #2. i hope they cut him so he can go soemwhere better....
His talent was subpar. His hands are so-so, and had a tendancy to put the ball on the ground, and he ran sloppy routes. His game is too much speed. Thats why Evans is a better receiver, great hands, really good at running routes, and still has the blazing speed.

Canadian'eh!
07-25-2005, 11:47 PM
His talent was subpar. His hands are so-so, and had a tendancy to put the ball on the ground, and he ran sloppy routes. His game is too much speed. Thats why Evans is a better receiver, great hands, really good at running routes, and still has the blazing speed.
Hey I'd take Evans over PP any day of the week and twice on sunday... I just don't think PP is as good as he showed here OR as bad as he seems there.

Philisophical Troll
07-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Personally a philisophical troll would love to see Atlanta cut Peerless so Big D could pick him up and reunite him with Bledsoe. Drew has enough weapons, but adding Price to the mix couldn't hurt. After all he had his best year in 02' with Drew hitting him deep down the field. Too bad that assclown donahoe had to trade him and demonstrate how ignorant a doushbag he is.

ublinkwescore
07-26-2005, 12:55 AM
the difference is, he had a PROBOWLER on the other side of the line smart guy.

Price is just one of those guys that should learn to be humble.

SquishDaFish
07-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Troll you dont know what your talking about once again. Open mouth insert foot. Price was asking for too much money which any team in their right mind wouldnt do and that is to WRS getting paid as #1s. We got Willis and then Evans by trading him. But I agree es tanking down there because Vick is not a good QB he should be a RB.

justasportsfan
07-26-2005, 07:29 AM
let's take him back for minimum. :lol:

McGahee420
07-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Personally a philisophical troll would love to see Atlanta cut Peerless so Big D could pick him up and reunite him with Bledsoe. Drew has enough weapons, but adding Price to the mix couldn't hurt. After all he had his best year in 02' with Drew hitting him deep down the field. Too bad that assclown donahoe had to trade him and demonstrate how ignorant a doushbag he is.
I think of it as more of a genius, not only did we get a first rounder for him, but he used that pick to select the best young running back in the league, WILLS MCGAHEE. Plus, price was starting to be a ***** and wanted money, to be a #1, and was showing signs of a holdout. TD is the man, better than that assclown you have in Jerry Jones, what a tool. Anyways, evans is superior to price. He's an all around better football player and teammate. Its hard to be a #1 receiver when your 5'10' and a 170. Thanks :loser: Peerless and welcome Wills....:bf1:

justasportsfan
07-26-2005, 09:13 AM
think of it, he get's cut next year and if Moulds won't restructure...... I'm sure Mularkey could use another speedster.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 09:26 AM
think of it, he get's cut next year and if Moulds won't restructure...... I'm sure Mularkey could use another speedster.
Moulds will restructure. He's been here his whole life and I doubt he will leave. I think he will retire a bill. And let's face it, all the numbers that Price put up were b'cse Moulds would draw coverage away from him. In Atlanta, he won't have that. I really don't want him. Clearly, Price is no #1 WR, and Evans is our #2 - we have to wait and see before we assume that Evans can move to a #1 role. And Price doesn't strike me as a good slot receiver (and probably wouldn't take the role of 3rd receiver anyway).

I think it would be great if Price went to Dallas. Then he can join Keyshawn and whine about the reasons he's not putting up good numbers!!!

justasportsfan
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Moulds will restructure. He's been here his whole life and I doubt he will leave. I can only hope. If he stays it's not for any other reason than Sundowners.

McGahee420
07-26-2005, 10:43 AM
I can only hope. If he stays it's not for any other reason than Sundowners.
:lmao:

Night Train
07-26-2005, 11:02 AM
He made his $$ in Atlanta off 1 good year in Buffalo. Doesn't erase his tendancy to short arm balls over the middle and hear footsteps. PP was gutless and always afraid of getting hit. Atlanta has now drafted 2 WR's early in the last 2 drafts for a reason. They know a fraud when they see one.

I'd never want him back.