• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Charles Robinson's preseason rankings for the AFC

Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports ranks the AFC :

Even without Tedy Buschi, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, the Patriots enter camp as the AFC's best.

Discuss.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Charles Robinson's preseason rankings for the AFC

One more safe, cliche-ridden, "Conventional Wisdom" assessment of the Bills, i.e., JP Losman will struggle... Yada, Yada, Yada. I must have read this canned, off-the-shelf analysis 100 times.

JP certainly will struggle, as most inexperienced, first year QBs generally do. But there is absolutely no reason why we can't emulate what the Steelers did last season with Big Ben.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
      Too sober for this...
      • Apr 2004

AFC PRESEASON RANKINGS

Here are Mystic's previews and analysis:

1. New England Patriots – Just about right. They will have a bigger callenge this year, but are still the top dogs until beaten.

2. Indianapolis Colts– Manning is awesome. No argument with them at #2. If they could only get some defensive players to step up, they could be contenders for the throne. But with Mannings $99 Million, I'm surprised they could still afford the
      lighting at the stadium.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers – The did have some losses off season, but will most likely still be contenders.

4. San Diego Chargers – San Diego will probably stay as a viable contender for years. If Brees continues to do well, they can afford to trade Rivers for a high pick and continue to get some high ranked players. The Giants screwed up big time in giving SD so much!

5. Cincinnati Bengals – Way too high of a rating...I expect slightly better than middle of the road.

6. New York Jets – Considering Chad's surgery, they should be alot lower. We do not know if he will be the same afterward, and he never had a strong arm to begin with. With the surgery, his throwing arm could be further limited. Also, their star CB retired and although there are talks of Ty Law coming in, it hasn't happened yet, and we don't know if Ty Law will be 100% anyway. In either case, as it stands, they should be lower.

7. Baltimore Ravens– Their defense is still superb, but will the offense contribute? They are probably ranked okay here, but could be a notch or two lower also.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars – With Fred Taylor iffy, there is no way they should be ranked this high. I don't know what it is with analysts and JAX...every year they pick them high or even as a superbowl contender. And every year, they don't come even close...

9. Buffalo Bills – I think we could be a few notches higher. People are tentative b'cse of the new QB, but those people haven't followed how hard JP has been working to learn the plays - nor have they followed how bad Bledsoe was last year and how hard it would be to do worse than he.

10. Denver Broncos – The glut of DEs that they have probably means that they do not have any confidence in any of them. That probably means that their defense will probably be average and offense the same. I'd actually knock them down a few notches.

11. Oakland Raiders – The offense should improve dramatically in every way. Good WRs and a solid line will do wonders for scoring. Can the new, young defense step up and do enough to win games? They are probably ranked ok at this position.

12. Kansas City Chiefs – The D looks to improve, but does the offense still have it? They are probably ranked fine here.

13. Houston Texans – Their loss to Buffalo in the 1st game might knock their confidence out. They should be a middle of the road team - but nothing special.

14. Miami Dolphins – Who's the QB? And with that crappy O-line...does it really matter. Dolphins will do better than last year, but expecting them to make the playoffs like some fin fans are is just ridiculous!

15. Tennessee Titans – The Titans in rebuilding mode bodes well for Buffalo getting a high rd round pick!

16. Cleveland Browns – Another rebuilding team that will take another year or two until Crennel gets it to the way he wants it. In the meantime, expect alot of frustration from the players and the fans!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Much better.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Patrick76777
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Bulldog
          Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports ranks the AFC :

Even without Tedy Buschi, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis, the Patriots enter camp as the AFC's best.

Discuss.

The guy really went out on a limb. Besides for switching Cincy and Denver, it’s just about the exact order of finish from last season.
          Resign our own guys!

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Yahoo Sports ( snicker ). Irony, meet Charles Robinson.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ublinkwescore
              Sab and TD are insignificant
              • Sep 2002

We should be where cincinatti was listed.
              www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I sure hope JP does not resemble Boller. Boller sucks. He had flop written all over him since day one...I think the Bills will have a run style offense like the Ravens but I expect more out of JP than Boller type production his first year (Not expecting huge numbers either)

Comment

• McGahee420
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by don137
                  I sure hope JP does not resemble Boller. Boller sucks. He had flop written all over him since day one...I think the Bills will have a run style offense like the Ravens but I expect more out of JP than Boller type production his first year (Not expecting huge numbers either)
                  Me too, just because boller can throw a football far from his knees does not mean crap, he can also perform a bunch of other stuff from his knees . Jp has a lot more potential than this kid, at least I hope so , or i am going to be doing a lot of this

West Virginia Mountaineers- Sugar Bowl Champions!!!!!

The Dick era has begun!

"I just want one before I die"

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    One more safe, cliche-ridden, "Conventional Wisdom" assessment of the Bills, i.e., JP Losman will struggle... Yada, Yada, Yada. I must have read this canned, off-the-shelf analysis 100 times.

JP certainly will struggle, as most inexperienced, first year QBs generally do. But there is absolutely no reason why we can't emulate what the Steelers did last season with Big Ben.
                    100% correct... And the Steelers were coming off a 5 or 6 win season. How much better can the Bills be after a 9 win season.

Comment

• AndreReed83
                      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                      • Mar 2004

I remember that the first ESPN power rankings last season, the Steelers were dead last, I do believe.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Philisophical Troll
                        Take my dating advice, it worked for me on my sister :up:
                        • Jul 2005

this is a bit generous, I can't see how Buffalo is rated over the Texans, Broncos, Raiders and espcially the Chiefs after the great offseason they had. But everybody is entitled to their own opinion. The key here is they (yahoo sports) don't think this is a playoff team either. Pretty interesting that they compare Lossman to Boller,he was horrible and injured his rookie year. Three years later he's still a first round bust who has done nothing, despite Billick surrounding him with talent. So if he couldn't do anything with jamal lewis who is by far a better back than mcgimp, what makes you think lossman will do anything of note?

Comment

• AndreReed83
                          Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
                          • Mar 2004

ROFL, no one commented to PT.

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
                          "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Tinboy
                            • Aug 2004

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I agree with the Bills ranking (for now). The preseason haven't started yet and so far I've read alot about JP but we have yet to see him in pads. When the preseason starts I hope that the Bills will jump up a couple of notches.

otherwise, Steelers way to high up, the Jets also, Radiers will be higher up.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                              Too sober for this...
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by AndreReed83
                              ROFL, no one commented to PT.
                              Did he say something? I guess most of us have him in the ignore list now and don't even notice when he responds...

Comment

Working...
                              X