PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we sign any more FA's?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-26-2005, 08:56 AM
To me, it seems like we need another RB....at least to bring to camp....and another LT.

What do you think the chances are that we sign a FA RB or LT this week?

TD usually likes to have the guys in camp right off the bat....and I know that he has to be tied up with rookie signings......but I think we have legitimate depth concerns here.

Here's my possible target list: (please correct me if any of these guys have signed)

RB: Zereoue, Jamel White, Rod Smart, Ron Dayne, William Green (not a FA, but could be easily had from Cleveland) Dorsey Levens, Robert Holcombe, Leon Johnson.

LT: Chris Terry, Fred Miller, Ross Verba, Marcus Price.

Italian Stallion
07-26-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd add Eddie George to that list of RBs.....I honestly don't think we'll sign anyone else tho, McGee will get an extention about a week or so into camp, and TD will start with Clements

Bulldog
07-26-2005, 09:05 AM
To me, it seems like we need another RB....at least to bring to camp....and another LT.

What do you think the chances are that we sign a FA RB or LT this week?

TD usually likes to have the guys in camp right off the bat....and I know that he has to be tied up with rookie signings......but I think we have legitimate depth concerns here.

Here's my possible target list: (please correct me if any of these guys have signed)

RB: Zereoue, Jamel White, Rod Smart, Ron Dayne, William Green (not a FA, but could be easily had from Cleveland) Dorsey Levens, Robert Holcombe, Leon Johnson.

LT: Chris Terry, Fred Miller, Ross Verba, Marcus Price.

Ron Dayne has signed with the Broncos and I don't think Cleveland is in any big hurry to unload William Green. Besides, I think that Buffalo has enough talent at the RB position to find a decent backup to Willis. I would rather they went after one of the LT's mentioned. Does any one know what the deal with Price is? He played well last year and has the ability to play both RT & LT. For vet min, why wouldn't some team have grabbed him by now if for nothing more than depth. Weird.

Gunzlingr
07-26-2005, 09:06 AM
I thought Ron Dayne was a Bronco

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 09:16 AM
I think we are just fine at RB. That's why we got Reshard Lee, and drafted a RB. Shaud Williams is also very capable as he showed last year.

An LT is more possible, but as long as they fall within our range of what we can afford. Verba is, unfortunately, so far out of our reach. Price, I'm going to guess, has some type of injury that is keeping him from being signed by anyone. McFarland played decent in a couple of games last season - so I'm not worried about our backups. I feel our backups are of better quality and more experienced than what we had last year. I want to see what happens in TC with LT and what McNally thinks before I jump on the "let's pick up someone" wagon. Throwing bodies to a position does not necessarily mean it will work.

Jan Reimers
07-26-2005, 09:35 AM
I think we are just fine at RB. That's why we got Reshard Lee, and drafted a RB. Shaud Williams is also very capable as he showed last year.

An LT is more possible, but as long as they fall within our range of what we can afford. Verba is, unfortunately, so far out of our reach. Price, I'm going to guess, has some type of injury that is keeping him from being signed by anyone. McFarland played decent in a couple of games last season - so I'm not worried about our backups. I feel our backups are of better quality and more experienced than what we had last year. I want to see what happens in TC with LT and what McNally thinks before I jump on the "let's pick up someone" wagon. Throwing bodies to a position does not necessarily mean it will work.
Your post is logical and reasonable. Ergo, no one will pay it any attention whatsoever.

tampabay25690
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
I still think the Bills will sign Marcus Price, sometime threw camp....

tampabay25690
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I also think the Bills will sign Mcgee and Clements, I think Clements will get a 4-5yr deal, I see Moulds next year adios, or big paycut.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Your post is logical and reasonable. Ergo, no one will pay it any attention whatsoever.
The Sky is FALLING!!! :madcloud: We have no Left Tackle!!! McNally hasn't seen what Gandy can do and is just guessing when he inserted him as the potential starter. Peters is a physical specimen but he needs a high IQ or he can't play - just like Lawrence Taylor and all the previous rocket science football players that have played before. Willis could hurt his knee again and we don't have a big has-been backing him up!!! Pat Williams is gone. This will disrupt our defense tremendously. Who's going to run out to the sidelines huffing and puffing every other play now. Our defense is going to drop to last place. And Losman...he's just a rookie and can't possibly help us in anyway. He's just going to stare and lock onto Moulds and forget about everyone else. He's going to get sacked all the time...it's not like he's played with a porous line before. It'll all be new. As a rookie, his completion percentage could be as low as 57% and he could throw 16 interceptions in 1 season ranking him 5th worse in the AFC or have an average of 183 yds/game ranking him 2nd worse in the AFC. Yeah, JP would be terrible with those numbers...

Jan Reimers
07-26-2005, 10:42 AM
The Sky is FALLING!!! :madcloud: We have no Left Tackle!!! McNally hasn't seen what Gandy can do and is just guessing when he inserted him as the potential starter. Peters is a physical specimen but he needs a high IQ or he can't play - just like Lawrence Taylor and all the previous rocket science football players that have played before. Willis could hurt his knee again and we don't have a big has-been backing him up!!! Pat Williams is gone. This will disrupt our defense tremendously. Who's going to run out to the sidelines huffing and puffing every other play now. Our defense is going to drop to last place. And Losman...he's just a rookie and can't possibly help us in anyway. He's just going to stare and lock onto Moulds and forget about everyone else. He's going to get sacked all the time...it's not like he's played with a porous line before. It'll all be new. As a rookie, his completion percentage could be as low as 57% and he could throw 16 interceptions in 1 season ranking him 5th worse in the AFC or have an average of 183 yds/game ranking him 2nd worse in the AFC. Yeah, JP would be terrible with those numbers...
Now you've got it. :lmao:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-26-2005, 10:53 AM

Now wait just a minute....I don't believe our chances of success are completely gone without a couple of signings....but I think if we had some experienced vets in there to compete with the young guys, it would help push the young guys at the very least. I don't think we need huge amounts of help, just depth...for training camp.

Ickybaluky
07-26-2005, 11:24 AM

Jamel White is on Detriot

Ron Dayne is on Denver

Robert Holcombe is on Kansas City

I think the best fit is Eddie George.

Even though George isn't very explosive anymore, he is still a very tough, highly respected player and leader. More importantly he excels at blitz pickup. That will be very important with a young QB like Losman. If McGahee goes down, the Bills are in trouble for more than what they lose in the running game. Rashard Lee has size and has demonstrated pretty good run skills, but his blitz pickup was always questioned by Parcells, who cited it as the reason Lee never received any steady playing time (and ultimately, was released).

I don't care how good your RB is, the one thing he can't do is get your QB killed. Especially a young guy like Losman, who will have enough to worry about.

Ickybaluky
07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Peters is a physical specimen but he needs a high IQ or he can't play - just like Lawrence Taylor and all the previous rocket science football players that have played before.

Intelligence is much more important an attribute for an OL than it is for a pass-rusher. Teams are looking for smart guys, along with size and athleticism.

A player rushing from the outside like Taylor is using his natural gifts and aggressiveness to get to the QB.

However, an OL needs much more than natural ability, he needs the intelligence to recognize the defensive alignment and make the correct decision on which player to block. He needs not only to understand his assignment, but he needs to understand the blocking scheme and how the assignment is adjusted based on changes in the defense. OL need to function like a unit. Decision-making and intelligence are every bit as important as athletic skill.

Philisophical Troll
07-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Since that idiot donahoe unloaded Henry I do believe he freed up some cap space. So it wouldn't surpise me to see Buffalo address some of their needs. There will be some big names available over the course of the preseason cuts. So don't be surpised if the Bills sign LT, kicker, TE, or DT if somebody is sitting there who could contribute.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Intelligence is much more important an attribute for an OL than it is for a pass-rusher. Teams are looking for smart guys, along with size and athleticism.

A player rushing from the outside like Taylor is using his natural gifts and aggressiveness to get to the QB.

However, an OL needs much more than natural ability, he needs the intelligence to recognize the defensive alignment and make the correct decision on which player to block. He needs not only to understand his assignment, but he needs to understand the blocking scheme and how the assignment is adjusted based on changes in the defense. OL need to function like a unit. Decision-making and intelligence are every bit as important as athletic skill.

Let me ask you this...Is intelligence more important? Or knowledge? And no, they are not the same thing.

Also, don't you think it takes more "intelligence or knowledge" for the TE position vs an OT???

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Jamel White is on Detriot

Ron Dayne is on Denver

Robert Holcombe is on Kansas City

I think the best fit is Eddie George.

Even though George isn't very explosive anymore, he is still a very tough, highly respected player and leader. More importantly he excels at blitz pickup. That will be very important with a young QB like Losman. If McGahee goes down, the Bills are in trouble for more than what they lose in the running game. Rashard Lee has size and has demonstrated pretty good run skills, but his blitz pickup was always questioned by Parcells, who cited it as the reason Lee never received any steady playing time (and ultimately, was released).

I don't care how good your RB is, the one thing he can't do is get your QB killed. Especially a young guy like Losman, who will have enough to worry about.

I keep seeing this in multiple posts and it is starting to irritate me...

If Tom Brady goes down, the Pats are in trouble
If Peyton goes down, the Colts are in trouble
If McNabb goes down, Philly is in trouble...

If any star goes down that has a big part in the offense, a team is in trouble - period. It's not just us with McGahee or Moulds. It's every team.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I keep seeing this in multiple posts and it is starting to irritate me...

If Tom Brady goes down, the Pats are in trouble
If Peyton goes down, the Colts are in trouble
If McNabb goes down, Philly is in trouble...

If any star goes down that has a big part in the offense, a team is in trouble - period. It's not just us with McGahee or Moulds. It's every team.

I think what people are referring to is the lack of quality depth behind those guys. THere is just such a big dropoff....look at who is backing up the guys you mentioned. None of them have a good backup. A case could be made for Davey/Flutie in NE...but Flutie is not what he once was.

Honestly....look at our other skill positions. If Moulds goes down...Evans will step up (hopefully) along with the other receivers in turn. If JP goes down...we have a good backup in Holcombe. But if Willis goes down....the drop off is huge now that we don't have Henry here. Now, after camp gets underway, and we see what Gates and Lee can do....I might be well satisfied....but I think it is foolish to not at least go to camp with a solid veteran backup RB.

Mr. Miyagi
07-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Honestly....look at our other skill positions. If Moulds goes down...Evans will step up (hopefully) along with the other receivers in turn. If JP goes down...we have a good backup in Holcombe. But if Willis goes down....the drop off is huge now that we don't have Henry here. Now, after camp gets underway, and we see what Gates and Lee can do....I might be well satisfied....but I think it is foolish to not at least go to camp with a solid veteran backup RB.
I disagree.

If you asked anyone a couple of years ago, they'd all tell you that Koy Detmer and AJ Feeley were a huge dropoff behind McNabb. Lo and behold, McNabb went down, and Detmer stepped up for half a game and went down, then Feeley stepped up for them and went 4-2 I think.

The point is, you'll never know who might step up. Just because the backups aren't big names, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't adequate backups IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I think what people are referring to is the lack of quality depth behind those guys. THere is just such a big dropoff....look at who is backing up the guys you mentioned. None of them have a good backup. A case could be made for Davey/Flutie in NE...but Flutie is not what he once was.

Well, in all honesty, I have less confidence in Eddie George than I do on Reshard Lee. Atleast he's young and has energy. Eddie George is like a limping turtle - I don't want him taking up a roster spot when we have so many potentials from our undrafted...I'd rather get a chance to keep...Goldsberry vs getting an Eddie George. Truthfully, if there's any position where NFL experience isn't as important it is RB. I mean, at WR it is extremely important to be able to run routes, etc. At QB...well we've discussed that in many threads on Losman. But at RB, you have the best chance to just come in and produce. Does it mean NFL experience is not important to a RB - of course not. But it is probably the position where you could adapt the fastest.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Well, in all honesty, I have less confidence in Eddie George than I do on Reshard Lee. Atleast he's young and has energy. Eddie George is like a limping turtle - I don't want him taking up a roster spot when we have so many potentials from our undrafted...I'd rather get a chance to keep...Goldsberry vs getting an Eddie George. Truthfully, if there's any position where NFL experience isn't as important it is RB. I mean, at WR it is extremely important to be able to run routes, etc. At QB...well we've discussed that in many threads on Losman. But at RB, you have the best chance to just come in and produce. Does it mean NFL experience is not important to a RB - of course not. But it is probably the position where you could adapt the fastest.

I agree and will confess that you guys are changing my mind about our need for a backup RB...I am willing to give Gates and Lee a shot....I am just for sure not interested in seeing Shaud WIlliams get the nod at starter for a couple of games. I still don't see how he is a real NFL back.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I agree and will confess that you guys are changing my mind about our need for a backup RB...I am willing to give Gates and Lee a shot....I am just for sure not interested in seeing Shaud WIlliams get the nod at starter for a couple of games. I still don't see how he is a real NFL back.
While I understand that Shaud is small to be a full time starter...what about his performance last year didn't you like? He ran very well and was very elusive!!! Yeah, alot of it was in preseason...and yet, Burns who has much more experience was beaten fair and square. It would have been easy to have gone last year with Travis as our starter, WM and Joe Burns since Burns has been there for awhile and knows the ropes so to speak. And yet, Shaud earned that 3rd spot. There is something to be said about having natural elusiveness - which I think we will see when Parrish gets the ball this season!

Ickybaluky
07-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Well, in all honesty, I have less confidence in Eddie George than I do on Reshard Lee. Atleast he's young and has energy. Eddie George is like a limping turtle - I don't want him taking up a roster spot when we have so many potentials from our undrafted...

And you would be making a mistake, IMO.

Is Rashard Lee a better runner at this point than Eddie George? Probably. But that is only one part of the job description. The fact is, Lee was cut by Dallas because he sucked in blitz pickup and made too many mental errors, both of which are cardinal sins on a Parcells coached team.

I agree, that Brady, Manning and McNabb going down would be critical blows to their teams. Their respective backups would be nowhere as good as them. However, like Miyagi said, the Pats, Colts and Eagles are all well coached teams and would adjust in the short-term. Sure, they wouldn't be as good, but they might still win some games if their backups just don't lose them for them. You might be surprised how well the teams would do (in the short-term) with Doug Flutie, Jim Sorgi (who could develop into a starter someday, somewhere) and Mike McMahon.

IMO, knowing that the Bills aren't going to have a player nearly as good as McGahee in there no matter what if he is injured, why not have a veteran leader who brings all sorts of intangibles? Sure, George would probably only average 3 yards a carry, but he is going to do a lot of little things that help the Bills adjust and give them a chance to win.

Lee might come in and have a great game running the ball, but if he misses a blitz pickup and Losman ends up having to get his spleen removed, was it worth it? IMO, a guy like George is a nice fit for one year given Losman's lack of experience.

Ickybaluky
07-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Let me ask you this...Is intelligence more important? Or knowledge? And no, they are not the same thing.

Also, don't you think it takes more "intelligence or knowledge" for the TE position vs an OT???

Intelligence, or applied knowledge. NFL teams look for intelligent players on the OL more than any other position besides QB. Because of the complex schemes defenses are playing these days, OL generally have to be smart. There are a lot of very gifted athletes that couldn't make it because they made poor decisions under pressure. You have to be able to think on your feet to play OL.

ParanoidAndroid
07-26-2005, 09:20 PM
I think what is lost in all of this, is that if Willis does go down, we have 3 backs who are supposedly all in the mix to compete for the back-up spot. There is Williams the scat back, Lee the pounder, and Gates the multidimentional. What I think we have is a mix and match tandem of decent running backs that could be effective in commitee. I've said this before, but I think we have something in Gates. I can't wait for him to show us what he's got in camp.
3 MORE DAYS!!!

Ickybaluky
07-26-2005, 09:30 PM
I think what is lost in all of this, is that if Willis does go down, we have 3 backs who are supposedly all in the mix to compete for the back-up spot. There is Williams the scat back, Lee the pounder, and Gates the multidimentional. What I think we have is a mix and match tandem of decent running backs that could be effective in commitee. I've said this before, but I think we have something in Gates. I can't wait for him to show us what he's got in camp.
3 MORE DAYS!!!

I just think there is a lot to be said for experience. A guy can have a ton of promise, but might make critical mistakes at bad times. A guy like George is a nice guy to have around the team, as an example to younger players. Plus, while he may not have much left in the tank, he knows how to play, not just run.

ParanoidAndroid
07-26-2005, 09:46 PM
I just think there is a lot to be said for experience. A guy can have a ton of promise, but might make critical mistakes at bad times. A guy like George is a nice guy to have around the team, as an example to younger players. Plus, while he may not have much left in the tank, he knows how to play, not just run.
You raise an excellent point. To see certain things done right is often better than the best coach. But how many running backs have been excellent in their rookie seasons? I would say very many.

I just don't think Buffalo can afford another roster spot considering those three players and other positions where injury and depth questions remain (TE, LT).

I think these guys are going to have to look to their coaches and veteran players at other positions for guidance.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-27-2005, 02:32 AM
I pretty much agree with mystic and Jan R. on this, although I would not entirely rule out the possibility that the Bills might bring in one or two players after training camps open if they don't like what they see from the players that they have.

While Bobby April has said that Rian Lindell is "way ahead" of where he was last season (URL: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3271 ), Cleveland just brought in Tyler Jones to compete with Phil Dawson for the PK job there and one of them will ultimately get cut loose. With no one in camp to seriously challenge Lindell, I could see the Bills bringing in a PK if Lindell's "improvement" does not show in TC.

I think the Bills want to see what they have at LT in Mike Gandy and Jason Peters in TC and perhaps early in the preseason before committing any money to a veteran like R.Verba--money that they would rather spend on re-upping T.McGee and perhaps N.Clements if Gandy and Peters show that they can get the job done. If those two don't look like they can do it once the pads go on, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills go after a vet with LT experience--something that I think would give the line greater stability and flexibility--but I have enough faith in Coach McNally to trust his judgement on this. I think that the Bills are looking to build a young offensive line that will be around for awhile and, with an eye towards next year's draft, are not particularly interested in older players if they can get a reasonably good performance from the younger LTs and back-ups that they already have.

I do not believe that they will bring in another RB--nor would I want them to do so. ReShard Lee looked good for Dallas, despite Parcells comments (perhaps made to insure that the job remained open for the J.Jones, his hand-picked RB?) and I would take him over any of the vet RBs on that list. M.Mularkey likes what he saw of Lee. Shaud Williams isn't big enough to take over the full-time job, but showed that he is a good "change of pace" back. They, along with Lionel Gates, may not have a lot of experience or be well-known, but they have shown ability and won't make waves. Just because a guy isn't well-known doesn't mean he can't get the job done: before they had to step in and play, how many of you would have considered D.Blaylock, C.Taylor, M.Moore, J.Chatman or R.Droughns adequate back-up RBs?

vicmantak
07-27-2005, 04:44 AM
Lifetime,

I like what you said about Tyler Jones. It would be such interesting to see who wins this battle. The Cleveland Browns have re-signed kicker Phil Dawson to a five-year, $7.1 million contract, including a $1.8 million signing bonus and also they have signed Tyler Jones to a three-year contract. (Updated 07/14/2005).
What they think? I don't know but Tyler Jones was a finalist of the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award and from my eyes he is not way behind Mike Nugent who made Doug Brien expendable.

elltrain22
07-27-2005, 04:51 AM
The way I see it, we haven't been active this off season b/c management realizes they have to resign Nate Clements. I am very much hoping that this is the case, b/c we really cannot afford to loose a very good player like Nate. We have a playoff caliber team this year, and w/ an additional 3rd round pick next year, we can go out and draft a good LT next year, b/c their is an assortment of LT's to pick from in this years draft.

indianabillsfan
07-27-2005, 05:54 AM
I think the Bills will probably do what they have done in previous seasons by waiting until after they have been in camp for several weeks and played a few or all of the preseason games to see who they are not happy with and decide they need to make a veteran addition late in the preseason (Chidi Ahanatou for example) or pick up a player who was cut a week before the opener who can come in and contribute immediately (Lawyer Milloy). I'm sure there are other examples but those two players come to mind right away.

Having said that, it would not surprise me to see the team bring in a player early in camp at any of the positions being discussed (LT, TE, DT, RB). I think that one thing Mularkey and Donahoe have made clear is that they strive to have healthy competition in camp at every position. But they have also shown that they are not afraid to put undrafted or inexperienced players on the final roster, such as Ritzmann, Greer, and Baker last year. They have both been in the business for awhile and I trust that they both know who will be best for the team regardless of experience.

indianabillsfan
07-27-2005, 06:00 AM
By the way, I would like to add that I am pretty happy with the players we have now and would not be worried if no more player additions are made.

I have to give a shout out to elltrain22 for that image of that dude in the Bills gear pissing on the Dolphin logo. I now have a new background for my desktop !!!!

Ickybaluky
07-27-2005, 06:36 AM
I like what you said about Tyler Jones. It would be such interesting to see who wins this battle. The Cleveland Browns have re-signed kicker Phil Dawson to a five-year, $7.1 million contract, including a $1.8 million signing bonus and also they have signed Tyler Jones to a three-year contract. (Updated 07/14/2005).
What they think? I don't know but Tyler Jones was a finalist of the Lou Groza Collegiate Place-Kicker Award and from my eyes he is not way behind Mike Nugent who made Doug Brien expendable.

There is no way Jones beats out Dawson, who was just signed to an extension and has become one of the NFL's top kickers. Jones is merely a camp leg.

As for his signing a 3 year contract, that was the original contract he signed with Chicago. Cleveland inherited the contract when they were awarded him on waivers after the Bears cut him.

mysticsoto
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
And you would be making a mistake, IMO.

Is Rashard Lee a better runner at this point than Eddie George? Probably. But that is only one part of the job description. The fact is, Lee was cut by Dallas because he sucked in blitz pickup and made too many mental errors, both of which are cardinal sins on a Parcells coached team.

I agree, that Brady, Manning and McNabb going down would be critical blows to their teams. Their respective backups would be nowhere as good as them. However, like Miyagi said, the Pats, Colts and Eagles are all well coached teams and would adjust in the short-term. Sure, they wouldn't be as good, but they might still win some games if their backups just don't lose them for them. You might be surprised how well the teams would do (in the short-term) with Doug Flutie, Jim Sorgi (who could develop into a starter someday, somewhere) and Mike McMahon.

IMO, knowing that the Bills aren't going to have a player nearly as good as McGahee in there no matter what if he is injured, why not have a veteran leader who brings all sorts of intangibles? Sure, George would probably only average 3 yards a carry, but he is going to do a lot of little things that help the Bills adjust and give them a chance to win.

Lee might come in and have a great game running the ball, but if he misses a blitz pickup and Losman ends up having to get his spleen removed, was it worth it? IMO, a guy like George is a nice fit for one year given Losman's lack of experience.
I see...and picking up the blitz would be more important than...running the ball in place of WM? What good is it to always have to pick up the blitz and not be able to scare teams with the run. We are a power running team...and I thought that's why we took Lee...b'cse he fits that mold perfectly. If we become worried of the blitz, should WM go down, we can always go to shotgun formations, roll outs, or putting in one of our fantastic FBs that love pancaking opponents! I think it is more important to have a decent runner that may do decent while running, getting us yards, etc than take up a roster spot soley to bring in an aging veteran to possibly occasionally pick up a blitz.

In truth, as a strategy to use, the blitz is less effective against mobile QBs. I suspect teams will use it alot initially to try and throw Losman off and even scare him. But (hopefully), once they realize it is not going to work, the best way to fight a mobile QB is to contain him and/or set a spy on him (usually the MLB) as Baltimore and the good teams have done to the Falcons.

I think our roster spots are important, as we have good depth at many positions (especially CB) and need to keep as many as possible - especially if we are not able to come together with Nate on a deal that has both sides happy...

Ickybaluky
07-27-2005, 08:44 AM
I see...and picking up the blitz would be more important than...running the ball in place of WM? What good is it to always have to pick up the blitz and not be able to scare teams with the run.

That is the basic difference in our opinions. I don't care if a guy is a better runner, unless he learns his protections he shouldn't be on the field. It only takes one blown assignment to get your QB killed.

mysticsoto
07-27-2005, 09:29 AM
That is the basic difference in our opinions. I don't care if a guy is a better runner, unless he learns his protections he shouldn't be on the field. It only takes one blown assignment to get your QB killed.
Yes, that does seem to be a fundamental difference in our views of what a RB needs to do. I guess you must hate TH then since he blew that coverage in that NE game that had them pancake Bledsoe and run the ball all the way back.

Nevertheless, if you can't move the ball, what good is picking up the blitz? That's more important for pass-happy teams. LaMont Jordan, for example, better be able to pick up the blitz for his team - as teams will probably need to do some heavy blitzing to disrupt that good line they have and try and rush Collins into making mistakes in his long passing offense.