PDA

View Full Version : a few observations...

OpIv37
07-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Worthy of note in the overwhelming boredom that is the NFL off-season.

1. The Bills went to a record four straight Super Bowls in the early 1990's. The so-called "dynasty" of the New England Patriots are only halfway there (although they accomplished something the Bills didn't by winning the SB, they're still a long way from the record).

2. I was watching the 2004 Bills highlights on NFL network. The Bills are in an odd position. Clearly, at the end of last season we showed we are significantly better than middle-of-the-pack teams like Cincinnatti, Seattle and St. Louis. Yet, we still can't beat first tier teams like Pittsburgh and NE. What needs to be done to take the next step?

3. Also in '04, there were numerous "no names" who contributed to our success. Euhus, Peters, and Freddy Smith come immediately to mind. Others did it in less obvious fashion: Stamer, Rashad Baker, etc. Is this the same path that the Patriots used for their success? Not that we're worthy of being compared to the Pats yet, but it seems like Mularkey might be using a similar formula (possibly the only one that will work in the age of salary cap parity).

4. What's with all the confidence in Shaud Williams as our back-up? He showed some promise last year, but keep in mind it was in garbage time against teams with bad D's. Plus he lacks McGahee's size and power, so if he has to come in it will change the way the O-line has to set up.

:feedback:

L.A. Playa
07-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I think the next step is to see if the coaching staff can take these pplayers to the next level. In all professional sports there are very few players that just stand out that much more than others. It all comes down to coaching and a coches ability not only to motivate a player but his ability to have a staff to recognize a players strengths and have that player put in positions that maximizes his strengths. The Patriots are really a testament not only to great coaching by Belechik, but to a great staff he had assembled. This year will be interesting to see if he chose the correct replacements for the coches he lost. I think the biggest positive the coaching staff saw and changed was that the QB position severly underperfomed in the games versus to tiered teams and would rather go with an unproven guy who is open to coaching than a "seasoned" veteran who is resitant to being told how to play. So, in summary I think the Bills can take the next step not because of anything a particular player did last year but what we saw of this coaching staff, going 9-3 after a disastorous 0-4 staff gives me hope that we have a coach that "gets it" and will lead the Bills back to the playoffs

Pride
07-26-2005, 12:07 PM
1. I disagree.. in the era of Free Agency... 3 SB wins in 4 years, makes them the best team of all time. They did what the bills couldnt, 3 times!

2. I believe JP is the difference. Those Elite teams had Elite Defenses... that knew how to blitz DB. Hopefully with mobility, comes the ability to beat a blitzing defense. So, IMO, JP should be the difference.

3. I think no-names who are versitile is what makes a great team! Look at our depth at many of the positions! We have good athletes... not necessarily system guys (like DB for instance), and that pays dividends on the special teams area.

4. I don't have confidence in Shaud. He is a scat back, nothing more. He could not carry the ball 30 times a game for 100 yards.. he may get 100 yards, but it will be on 2-3 big plays... unfortunately, that puts alot of stress on JP and the Oline when there is no running threat.

Philisophical Troll
07-26-2005, 12:18 PM

1. The Bills went to a record four straight Super Bowls in the early 1990's. The so-called "dynasty" of the New England Patriots are only halfway there (although they accomplished something the Bills didn't by winning the SB, they're still a long way from the record).

2. I was watching the 2004 Bills highlights on NFL network. The Bills are in an odd position. Clearly, at the end of last season we showed we are significantly better than middle-of-the-pack teams like Cincinnatti, Seattle and St. Louis. Yet, we still can't beat first tier teams like Pittsburgh and NE. What needs to be done to take the next step?

3. Also in '04, there were numerous "no names" who contributed to our success. Euhus, Peters, and Freddy Smith come immediately to mind. Others did it in less obvious fashion: Stamer, Rashad Baker, etc. Is this the same path that the Patriots used for their success? Not that we're worthy of being compared to the Pats yet, but it seems like Mularkey might be using a similar formula (possibly the only one that will work in the age of salary cap parity).

4. What's with all the confidence in Shaud Williams as our back-up? He showed some promise last year, but keep in mind it was in garbage time against teams with bad D's. Plus he lacks McGahee's size and power, so if he has to come in it will change the way the O-line has to set up.

1) the bottom line is that the bills LOST four straight superbowls? Why do bills fans think its such an accomplishment? I agree that no team will likely never do that again and the Bills kgun offense was one of the best of all time. But face it, they couldn't close the deal and do what mattered most: win a world title. The Patriots have already accomplished way more than the Bills or most other teams in the NFL(excluding San Fran and Big D) ever will. Tom Brady is already one of the best QB's to ever play the game and his legacy will only continue to grow over the next 5+ years. Bill Bellechek has already surpassed the man the world title is named after in terms of winning percentage in the playoffs. Even Dallas hasn't won a world title post salary cap era like this team has. Bottom line the Pats own the NFL and I don't see them relinquishing the throne anytime soon.

2) You summed it up, the bills can beat bad teams, but stand no chance against the good ones...basically this means they are the best bad team in the NFL if that makes sense.

3) I'm not sure the guys you mentioned did anything that spectacular. But more and more you see rookie free agents and lower round draft picks step up because of the parity in the NFL. A perfect example of this: Tom Brady

4) I agree, the bills need to address depth at the RB position especially since mcgimp hasn't proven hes a 16 game starter. Don't discount Rashard Lee though, being a former cowboy i know this kid has potential. But he's far from a full time starter himself, and was only 3rd at best on the loaded cowboys depth chart.

Mr. Miyagi
07-26-2005, 12:19 PM
I just added a THIRD person to my ignore list. :down:

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 12:45 PM
1. I disagree.. in the era of Free Agency... 3 SB wins in 4 years, makes them the best team of all time. They did what the bills couldnt, 3 times!

2. I believe JP is the difference. Those Elite teams had Elite Defenses... that knew how to blitz DB. Hopefully with mobility, comes the ability to beat a blitzing defense. So, IMO, JP should be the difference.

3. I think no-names who are versitile is what makes a great team! Look at our depth at many of the positions! We have good athletes... not necessarily system guys (like DB for instance), and that pays dividends on the special teams area.

4. I don't have confidence in Shaud. He is a scat back, nothing more. He could not carry the ball 30 times a game for 100 yards.. he may get 100 yards, but it will be on 2-3 big plays... unfortunately, that puts alot of stress on JP and the Oline when there is no running threat.
1) Wow...the best team of ALL TIME??? I don't know about that...

2) It would be nice if JP was the difference.

3) This I think is key. And I love our depth at most of our positions - especially CB and even KR/PR (oh and QB). At most positions, our depth is looking pretty good and this may be key to winning in the NFL since injuries happen often.

4) I like Shaud, but like you said, he's not a carry the ball 30 times type of guy. Nevertheless, that does not mean he cannot be effective at what he does. Like Parrish' descriptions, Shaud is very elusive and provides for a nice change up. That's why I feel he'd be a good 3rd down back. I may be wrong, but I don't think Gates is going to be ready to play yet and he's also kind of slow - though if he can contribute on ST...who knows. Nobody thought much before last year's training camp on Shaud Williams and he surprised alot of people even beating out Joe Burns and forcing him to move to FB despite Burns having much more experience. I don't think he's just going to let Gates come in and steal his job.

Philagape
07-26-2005, 12:47 PM

Join the club.

mysticsoto
07-26-2005, 01:02 PM
I have to say that I'm much more at peace since I began ignoring PT. I still see some people answering him - which is mighty pointless to me, as he's not a logical poster or even an entertaining one - IMO. Nevertheless, I come here to discuss football with rational people and those who don't qualify will be ignored. So far I only have 1.

Meathead
07-26-2005, 01:14 PM
I have no confidence Shaud could be a featured back to keep a playoff season on track, even for a game let alone a stretch of them. I don't have confidence in anybody on the roster for that.

I predict the Bills pick up and keep a veteran RB. As old as he is, George might be that guy.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
I have no confidence Shaud could be a featured back to keep a playoff season on track, even for a game let alone a stretch of them. I don't have confidence in anybody on the roster for that.

I predict the Bills pick up and keep a veteran RB. As old as he is, George might be that guy.

Yep...that's hitting the nail right on the head. For a team with playoff aspirations, I think it is inexcusable to go into the season without a proven backup at RB...the position that arguably takes the greatest pounding of any player.

Voltron
07-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I think Lee will fit that niche nicely. Have you seen any tape on him? He is a good runner and finds holes well. Looks like he got on Bill P's **** list last year. Not a hard thing to do... :idunno:

don137
07-26-2005, 07:34 PM
Aren't you taking Pride's comments a litttle too personal to put him on ignore? :D:

Tinboy
07-27-2005, 01:41 AM

1. Well we lost four Superbowls, it really says it all.

2. This year, if the defense is even better and the run offense does really well we will hopefully be able to beat the better teams also. Which is something we need to do if we are going to be in the playoffs.

3. The depth is important to be a good team and last year look good for us, let's hope that the trend continues this year.

4. I'll wait until the preseason before i answer this one.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-27-2005, 04:08 AM

While I think that TD brought in some high-priced players, like Bledsoe, S.Adams, T.Spikes, etc., to spark fan interest and keep the franchise economically viable while trying to rebuild it from the ground up as fast as possible, I do think that the Bills, like many other teams, are now trying to follow the same formula as the Pats. I think that's why P.Price, A.Winfield, P.Williams and, especially, J.Jennings were allowed to leave as free agents to be replaced by cheaper, lower profile players. I think you will see more of that in the future--which will, undoubtedly, result in a lot of off-season gnashing of teeth around here.

I don't believe that S.Williams will be W.McGahee's primary back-up/injury replacement. That job, I believe, will go to R.Lee--with A.Gates having an outside shot at the job. S.Williams will be used as a "change of pace" back between the 20s and proved last year that he could be effective in that role. Lee and Gates are both nearly the same size as McGahee. Lee has good speed and averaged 4.7 yards per carry in limited action for Dallas last year. A lot of people thought he was poised for a big breakout season, but, as has been pointed out, he ended up in Parcells' doghouse for some reason and was buried there. He's a good fit in the Bills' offense. Gates doesn't have McGahee's speed--think of him as a bigger version of T.Henry--but he was the guy that Louisville went with in short yardage and tough third down situations instead of Shelton (who everyone thinks is going to be a star for Carolina). Gates isn't great in any one area, but does everything well. His ability to make this team and be a solid back-up is really only limited by his relative lack of speed and the fact that he is a rookie.

OpIv37
07-27-2005, 06:55 AM
2. This year, if the defense is even better and the run offense does really well we will hopefully be able to beat the better teams also. Which is something we need to do if we are going to be in the playoffs.

what makes you think the D will be better? We lost one starter and didn't gain anyone of note.

EDS
07-27-2005, 07:45 AM
what makes you think the D will be better? We lost one starter and didn't gain anyone of note.

The defense could be better because of the secondary and additional experience. Last year both Vincent and Milloy missed time, so having them healthy will certaintly be a plus. Further, McGee now has a year of starting experience, he should be able to build on that experience. Some of the young back-up DB's like Thomas, Greer and Baker got valuable experience that should benefit them this year as well.

Additional improvement could come from Kelsay as well. Pat only played a little more than 50% of the snaps anyway, so as long as Anderson and Edwards can hold the fort the defense should be at least as good as last year.

I should add, that given Pat William's age there is no guarantee he would have been able to continue to play at an elite level, so losing him - particularly at the price the Vikings paid is not that terrible.

The Spaz
07-27-2005, 07:45 AM

1 out of 11...wow.

OpIv37
07-27-2005, 07:50 AM
1 out of 11...wow.

EDS answered my question- your sarcastic quib didn't. Tinboy said that our D would be better- my question was "how can one loss and zero additions make the defense BETTER?"

The Spaz
07-27-2005, 07:59 AM
EDS answered my question- your sarcastic quib didn't. Tinboy said that our D would be better- my question was "how can one loss and zero additions make the defense BETTER?"

Tecnically you are right but hopefully both Lawyer Milloy and Vincent will be healthy from the beginning of the year andn that should help IMO.:up:

mysticsoto
07-27-2005, 08:01 AM
You presume that we need to "add" to make things better. How about..."not subtract" ? When Milloy was injured last year, we had a huge hole in our secondary. He is now healthy and Vincent is solid. Both of them will provide an effective safety net (no pun intended) for our CBs. McGee now has more experience under his belt also, rather than just to have been thrown in and forced to perform like last year. Lastly, as much as I loved Pat, he was off the field for a good portion of time in the games. It's time we let younger blood come in and showcase what they can do.

Oh, and improving our offense with Losman (hard to do worse than Bledsoe), Bennie Anderson (opening holes for WM) and adding Parrish on the slot over the ineffective Reed, also helps improve the defense. If our offense can score (unlike the early part of last year), it takes the pressure off of the defense.

Lastly, they don't seem conformant/happy with what they have accomplished. Gray is hungry and so is Takeo and most of the D-players. That's absolutely what you'd want to hear from an already great group of players!