PDA

View Full Version : who will win the starting dt spot?

thebuffalobills4
07-27-2005, 12:46 AM
who will win the starting dt at the end of training camp?
why?
and how will they do in this season?

LifetimeBillsFan
07-27-2005, 03:11 AM
I believe that R.Edwards and T.Anderson will end up being used situationally because each has different strengths.

I think that R.Edwards will start out as the starter because of his experience, but that T.Anderson will end up either starting or getting more playing time because:

1.) Edwards has shown that he is a good pass rusher for a DT. But, despite his size, Edwards has not really shown himself to be much of a run-stuffer in his career.

2.) Anderson, on the other hand, was the primary run-stuffer in the middle of the Ohio State defense that won the national championship--his ability to stop the run allowed their DEs more freedom to rush the passer. Even though Anderson has a good first step off of the line, he wasn't a big-time pass-rusher in college.

I don't believe that tigers or most NFL players suddenly "change their stripes". Even though he is smaller and less experienced than Edwards, I believe that, working under Krumrie's tutelage, Anderson will prove to be the better run-stuffer and, because there are more potential running situations than passing downs, will ultimately get more of the playing time over the course of the season. However, because of his experience and pass rushing ability, I believe that Edwards will begin the season as the starter and will log a significant amount of playing time. With S.Adams getting older, I can see both Anderson and Edwards playing at the same time when Big Sam needs a break. While both may have improved in the areas where they have not been as strong in the past, I see this as a coaching staff that tries to take advantage of its players' strengths while minimizing their weaknesses and I can see them trying to do that with these two players.

elltrain22
07-27-2005, 04:52 AM
Edwards will start, and will play well. But Anderson will play alot also. I really don't see us loosing that much from Fat Pat. I realize that fat pat is a stronger option, but we got younger, and these 2 guys deserve their shot.

Night Train
07-27-2005, 05:51 AM
DT is a rotation. I remember reading Pat Williams took 58 % of the D snaps. Edwards is used to playing and Anderson must show he's worthy of a spot in the rotation.

BTW BB4 - Your sig says Zeppelin rules but you have a picture of David Gilmour ( Pink Floyd ) playing guitar ?

mysticsoto
07-27-2005, 08:32 AM
I believe that R.Edwards and T.Anderson will end up being used situationally because each has different strengths.

I think that R.Edwards will start out as the starter because of his experience, but that T.Anderson will end up either starting or getting more playing time because:

1.) Edwards has shown that he is a good pass rusher for a DT. But, despite his size, Edwards has not really shown himself to be much of a run-stuffer in his career.

2.) Anderson, on the other hand, was the primary run-stuffer in the middle of the Ohio State defense that won the national championship--his ability to stop the run allowed their DEs more freedom to rush the passer. Even though Anderson has a good first step off of the line, he wasn't a big-time pass-rusher in college.

I don't believe that tigers or most NFL players suddenly "change their stripes". Even though he is smaller and less experienced than Edwards, I believe that, working under Krumrie's tutelage, Anderson will prove to be the better run-stuffer and, because there are more potential running situations than passing downs, will ultimately get more of the playing time over the course of the season. However, because of his experience and pass rushing ability, I believe that Edwards will begin the season as the starter and will log a significant amount of playing time. With S.Adams getting older, I can see both Anderson and Edwards playing at the same time when Big Sam needs a break. While both may have improved in the areas where they have not been as strong in the past, I see this as a coaching staff that tries to take advantage of its players' strengths while minimizing their weaknesses and I can see them trying to do that with these two players.
This is pretty much what I envision happenning also. The 1st few games might even play out kind of like Kelsay and Denney - alternating a bit. Or, Mularkey might choose to use Anderson vs running teams and Edwards toward mostly passing teams - but each rotating in to all games and also spelling Adams. I'm interested in who is going to be the other DT backup...

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-27-2005, 09:17 AM
This is pretty much what I envision happenning also. The 1st few games might even play out kind of like Kelsay and Denney - alternating a bit. Or, Mularkey might choose to use Anderson vs running teams and Edwards toward mostly passing teams - but each rotating in to all games and also spelling Adams. I'm interested in who is going to be the other DT backup...

You nailed it....and I am interested in that also. I predict Bannan as the 4th DT.

The King
07-27-2005, 09:46 AM
I agree with LBF.

Edwards showed us last year he can be effective in the passing game. So I think he will be our DT in passing situations. One thing people have failed to mention is that Edwards is a lot quicker than Pat was. I envision that Edwards will create a little more pressure in the pocket helping the secondary and the DEs to make a play. One area Edwards comes up short is against the run, he is nowhere near as dominant as Pat was. This is where Anderson will come in. As LBF said he was the anchor at Ohio St. He is young and will have a learning curve but playing next to Sam who will see some double teams will allow him to work with a little less respondsibility. I think by week 6 that spot should be in working order and we will be saying Pat who?

Ed
07-27-2005, 10:14 AM
I think Edwards will start, but we'll see plenty of both. It's not like Sam Adams is going to be playing every down. I'm sure there will be situations where we'll see Anderson and Edwards on the field at the same time.

I know the team has been saying that Anderson has been working really hard and made some huge strides, but I can't even remember him playing last season, so it's hard to imagine him beating out Edwards. I mean Edwards not only played well last year, but I've read that he seems even more focused and in better shape this season too.

ublinkwescore
07-27-2005, 11:49 AM
Tim Anderson was on the field when McGahee got hurt?

McGahee420
07-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I hope Manuel Wright does....just kidding, actually I do, then Willis will have an easier time running over a pussy:lmao:

ShadowHawk7
07-27-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree with LBF.

Edwards showed us last year he can be effective in the passing game. So I think he will be our DT in passing situations. One thing people have failed to mention is that Edwards is a lot quicker than Pat was. I envision that Edwards will create a little more pressure in the pocket helping the secondary and the DEs to make a play. One area Edwards comes up short is against the run, he is nowhere near as dominant as Pat was. This is where Anderson will come in. As LBF said he was the anchor at Ohio St. He is young and will have a learning curve but playing next to Sam who will see some double teams will allow him to work with a little less respondsibility. I think by week 6 that spot should be in working order and we will be saying Pat who?

Yep.

I hope Manuel Wright does....just kidding, actually I do, then Willis will have an easier time running over a pussy:lmao:

:rolleyes:

pleasesavedrew
07-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Ron Edwards will win it easily and he will play well enough to keep the job thw whole year.

thebuffalobills4
07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
DT is a rotation. I remember reading Pat Williams took 58 % of the D snaps. Edwards is used to playing and Anderson must show he's worthy of a spot in the rotation.

BTW BB4 - Your sig says Zeppelin rules but you have a picture of David Gilmour ( Pink Floyd ) playing guitar ?
i like to keep that their for good luck.