PDA

View Full Version : Donahoe Extended

Yasgur's Farm
07-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Link (http://www.wgr550.com/bills/index.php)

The Bills have been built to win now and in the future.

Pride
07-27-2005, 06:49 AM
LOL, no way!

Donahoe Has Extension
Jeremy White - Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 6:13 AM

thats all the proof I need! :rolleyes:

Pride
07-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Besides... no way he should be here next year if we dont make the playoffs... that is my criteria for him this year. We make playoffs, he stays... no playoffs... he goes!

The King
07-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Yeah its not on any of the major sources yet

Night Train
07-27-2005, 06:59 AM
The Bills wish to keep some stability until 2007, the year the CBA is up and the future of this franchise is at stake. Making changes now wouldn't make sense.

An owner is his late 80's is NOT going to be around for another rebuild job. This franchise is no longer 3-13 and playing before a half empty stadium. Every home game will probably sell out again and the " What if's " don't come into play until at least 2007, with the franchise and labor issues approaching.

Patrick76777
07-27-2005, 07:06 AM
LOL, no way!

thats all the proof I need! :rolleyes:
I think it is in the Buffalo News today.

X-Era
07-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Besides... no way he should be here next year if we dont make the playoffs... that is my criteria for him this year. We make playoffs, he stays... no playoffs... he goes!
Sorry you feel that way, but hes here to stay!!!!

He put our cap in order, added many big studs, and added players who looked like they would be great pickups and didnt pan out.

In my mind he has done every bit of the same fantastic job as the top 5 GM's in the league.

Its easy to complain, but name 5 GM's that are outright better.

The Spaz
07-27-2005, 07:57 AM
With extension, Donahoe in full control

This is the fourth of four stories previewing Bills training camp.
Today's story focuses on Tom Donahoe.

The pressure never is off the general manager of an NFL team.

At any moment in the uncertain business of pro football, a ship that looks stable can start to list.

Bills President and General Manager Tom Donahoe, however, has less pressure on his head this season thanks to a contact extension granted to him by owner Ralph Wilson late last year.

This was scheduled to be the final year of Donahoe's five-year contract. But Wilson quietly eliminated the risk of allowing his top man to get close to becoming a free agent.

<b>"I extended his contract last year, so he's all set for a while," Wilson said.</b>

Wilson would not reveal the length of the extension, but it's believed to be for multiple years. That would put him under contract through at least 2007.

While the move was kept quiet - consistent with the way Donahoe likes to keep all matters related to himself - it is not a surprise.

Wilson has great respect for Donahoe and has never wavered in his public support of him over the past four years.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050727/1031044.asp?tbd1031044.asp

mysticsoto
07-27-2005, 08:13 AM

He put our cap in order, added many big studs, and added players who looked like they would be great pickups and didnt pan out.

In my mind he has done every bit of the same fantastic job as the top 5 GM's in the league.

Well put. Nobody here know Bledsoe was going to be a bust and he is probably the main reason we haven't made the playoffs as of late. Now we have Losman and are moving forward. Looking at just 1 criterion (like making the playoffs) out of everything a GM must do is short-sighted. If we were in the NFC, we would have made the playoffs a few years ago already! Look at the Titans right now...that's the sign of huge cap mismanagement. And it's not like they have superbowl win to console themselves with now that they are rebuilding...

justasportsfan
07-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Its easy to complain, but name 5 GM's that are outright better.So it's okay if Donahoe makes good player decisions and yet we don't make playoffs for the next 5 years? If you can be patient about the 4 sb losses, no lombardi trophies, the only AFCE team w/ no playoff appearance in 2000, I can't. No player , GM or President is above the team. We wanted Wade Philipps' head on a platter inspite of making playoffs his entire tenure as a HC appearance.

Saving a the cap means nothing to me if we can't even make playoffs.

Tatonka
07-27-2005, 08:28 AM

i can name 12.. 12 gms that made the playoffs last year.. or the year before.. or the year before.. or the year before..

i am not saying fire him.. but it is not like he has even gotten us to the playoffs yet.. so what the hell has he done that is so great? he got some good players? not good enough to get us to the playoffs.. he got us out of cap hell? anyone can cut a bunch of high priced players and go 3-13..

we have not been in the playoffs because the offensive line has been neglected consistently since TD got here.. because TD made an awful choice in greg williams.. and because TD made an awful choice with rob johnson and then drew bledsoe. he is far from the "best" GM in the league.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-27-2005, 08:29 AM
While I do not approve of the way the team has progressed under Donahoe's leadership, I do not think you can blame poor coaching (although TD should have cut the cord on GW a year earlier), poor execution, and the entire team choking (last year vs. Steelers) on the GM, no matter who it is. He makes his moves, and doesn't make hasty decisions. Most of the time we come out ahead on any deals we make. The most glaring exception is Drew Bledsoe...but almost everyone agreed with the move when it was made. They made efforts to help Bledsoe, but once they saw that they could not move forward with him, they made a change. Overall, I think the Bills are a better organization with TD here than without him, and for now, I agree with the extension.

Michael82
07-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Please keep Mr. Cynical out of this thread. :scared:

Michael82
07-27-2005, 09:13 AM
BTW, I think it was a good move by Ralph. TD has done everything possible except get to the playoffs and IMO, his plan would have worked perfectly, if they didn't stumble at the Steelers game last year.

Plus, I don't like lame duck GMs or Coaches.

:bf1:

Pride
07-27-2005, 09:16 AM
i can name 12.. 12 gms that made the playoffs last year.. or the year before.. or the year before.. or the year before..

i am not saying fire him.. but it is not like he has even gotten us to the playoffs yet.. so what the hell has he done that is so great? he got some good players? not good enough to get us to the playoffs.. he got us out of cap hell? anyone can cut a bunch of high priced players and go 3-13..

we have not been in the playoffs because the offensive line has been neglected consistently since TD got here.. because TD made an awful choice in greg williams.. and because TD made an awful choice with rob johnson and then drew bledsoe. he is far from the "best" GM in the league.

:10::10::10::10::10::10::10::10::10::10:

The King
07-27-2005, 09:33 AM
I do think TD is the best GM for the team right now. And replacing him would hurt the franchise. I dont think TD is at fault in anyway for the teams performance last season. Injuries early on and un-inspired play from Henry had a huge part in the seasons outcome. To blame the Steelers game on TD is simply moronic. Its the coaches job to get his team prepared its the GM's job to give him the tools.

TD has ignored the line thats for sure. He is much better at staffing the glory positions than he is at building a line. But I think he is deserving of a two year extension, even this year is a get out of jail free card for him. The 06 season will be his final test.

Captain Obvious
07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't think he has done a"great job" (no playoff appearances) but I am glad he got his extension for stabilty stake. I think he hit a bullseye when he drafted McGahee and Evans but his future is tied up in how well Losman does. If Losman is a failure Donahoe will more than likely be pink-slipped. If Losman shows he's the next Favre(as Sean Salisbury said on draft day-2004) the Donahoe is a genius.

Mr. Cynical
07-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Please keep Mr. Cynical out of this thread. :scared:
:rofl:

I'm even going to give you pos rep for that one. :posrep:

...and now for my comment...

"In the end, all that matters is the result on the field."

All GMs must be judged accordingly, with no exceptions or excuses, especially after half a decade of service.

Historian
07-27-2005, 06:11 PM

I agree. Its been 10 years since a Divisional title.

Its been five years since a playoff game.

I think the team is on the upswing, but it should be after five years of rebuilding.

If they don't make it this year, he should be canned. Most of his player moves have panned out okay, but Gregg Williams was an abortion.

And it all goes downhill from there.

In the meantime, New England, one of the worst franchises in the history of the game, wins three Super Bowls.

Philisophical Troll
07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Link (http://www.wgr550.com/bills/index.php)

The Bills have been built to win now and in the future.
The fact that Ralphie didn't fire Donahoe on the spot after he cut Drew Bledsoe, shows that the dementia is starting in his advanced years. He must have really been drugged up to resign this tool to an extension. Sad sad bills fans...you have no idea how bleak this teams future is.....

Novacane
07-27-2005, 10:35 PM
The fact that Ralphie didn't fire Donahoe on the spot after he cut Drew Bledsoe, shows that the dementia is starting in his advanced years. .....

It's shows Ralph is still as sharp as a tack. Donahoe was just correcting the worst decision he had made as GM.

I can't wait until the season starts. Bledsoes play will shut your trap!

Throne Logic
07-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Well put. Nobody here know Bledsoe was going to be a bust and he is probably the main reason we haven't made the playoffs as of late. Now we have Losman and are moving forward. Looking at just 1 criterion (like making the playoffs) out of everything a GM must do is short-sighted. If we were in the NFC, we would have made the playoffs a few years ago already! Look at the Titans right now...that's the sign of huge cap mismanagement. And it's not like they have superbowl win to console themselves with now that they are rebuilding...

Uh, I beg to differ. Go dig up old posts if you feel the need, but I was against the Bledsoe move for exactly the same reasons that he was eventually run out of town.

I have only vehemently opposed two moves in TD's reign. 1) Bledsoe and 2) Gilbride. Gilbride was on my all-time bad coaching list before he came to Buffalo. The worst thing that could have possibly happened to poor Captain Immobility was to make Gilbride his Offensive Coordinator. Wait, I'm wrong, making Gilbride the QB coach on top of OC was worse.

That said, I'm happy with just about every other move TD has made. Some I originally agreed with and some I didn't. Overall, most of his moves have had a positive effect on the team.

Typ0
07-28-2005, 01:40 AM

I disagree...a lot of us know DB was just a mediocre QB but he was also the best option available and applauded TD for pulling the trigger to get him here. I was as hard on "the statue" as anyone but I get so sick and tired of everyone ragging on him as the devil the way they do. In his first few seasons our offense was pretty good and the problem was the team wasn't balanced. Some of the tools on offense were taken away to solidify the defense which brought forth the weaknesses some of us knew DB harbored. But you go back and tell me who should have been the QB on this team several of the past five years other than DB...I dare say most of the names you can come up with haven't even played a full game in all of those years. This team got better and it was time to make a move...and again TD pulled the trigger and sent DB to Dallas and got a young promising QB here along with a couple veteran backups.

Through all of his tenure here DB has been a consumate professional. He has instilled teamwork, a strong work ethic and confidence in the players around him. He just doesn't have the tools on the field. I can say the same thing about GW...he brought respect to this team when we were headed to 3-13...those guys played every single week even when we were clearly bottom feeders. Like DB...when it came to game time decisions that is where GW really screwed up. You just can't have the coaching staff losing you games like they did. But the bottom line with DB is his work here was a success and the team progressed under his leadership to the point it outgrew him. The only thing you people who complain about DB being here are really complaining about is we couldn't lure montana out of retirement at the time so he could singlehandedly win us a superbowl.

Tinboy
07-28-2005, 02:56 AM
So far TD has done a good job but now is the time to take us to next level, playoffs. I hope that he choices so far will make us a playoff team either this year or next.

mysticsoto
07-28-2005, 07:34 AM
Uh, I beg to differ. Go dig up old posts if you feel the need, but I was against the Bledsoe move for exactly the same reasons that he was eventually run out of town.

I have only vehemently opposed two moves in TD's reign. 1) Bledsoe and 2) Gilbride. Gilbride was on my all-time bad coaching list before he came to Buffalo. The worst thing that could have possibly happened to poor Captain Immobility was to make Gilbride his Offensive Coordinator. Wait, I'm wrong, making Gilbride the QB coach on top of OC was worse.

That said, I'm happy with just about every other move TD has made. Some I originally agreed with and some I didn't. Overall, most of his moves have had a positive effect on the team.
I am sure there were a couple of people opposed to DB coming here, but for the most part, the majority applauded it. And how could we not? What other option did we have???

I'm not sure I blame Gilbride as much as GW. GW is the coach and should be telling Gilbride what to do - If Gilbride gets pass happy, GW needs to talk to him about the strategies he's implementing. Also, using Sam Gash as a wide out...that was terrible also. GW should have been on top of that - as a HC, he is responsible for all actions on the team. Gilbride should have known better, but GW should have been on his a$$ from the start.

mysticsoto
07-28-2005, 07:37 AM
I disagree...a lot of us know DB was just a mediocre QB but he was also the best option available and applauded TD for pulling the trigger to get him here. I was as hard on "the statue" as anyone but I get so sick and tired of everyone ragging on him as the devil the way they do. In his first few seasons our offense was pretty good and the problem was the team wasn't balanced. Some of the tools on offense were taken away to solidify the defense which brought forth the weaknesses some of us knew DB harbored. But you go back and tell me who should have been the QB on this team several of the past five years other than DB...I dare say most of the names you can come up with haven't even played a full game in all of those years. This team got better and it was time to make a move...and again TD pulled the trigger and sent DB to Dallas and got a young promising QB here along with a couple veteran backups.

Through all of his tenure here DB has been a consumate professional. He has instilled teamwork, a strong work ethic and confidence in the players around him. He just doesn't have the tools on the field. I can say the same thing about GW...he brought respect to this team when we were headed to 3-13...those guys played every single week even when we were clearly bottom feeders. Like DB...when it came to game time decisions that is where GW really screwed up. You just can't have the coaching staff losing you games like they did. But the bottom line with DB is his work here was a success and the team progressed under his leadership to the point it outgrew him. The only thing you people who complain about DB being here are really complaining about is we couldn't lure montana out of retirement at the time so he could singlehandedly win us a superbowl.
I'm not disagreeing with anything you say. I understand that other than DB, we really had no other options - which is why most of us embraced his coming here. I do believe Drew was a professional the whole time he was here - I just feel that he is in denial about his skill level.

I also agree with GW. He had a good potential team, but hired Gilbride to implement an offense that didn't fit the personnel we had. On top of that, when Gilbride made inane calls on the field, GW needed to either intervene or atleast have a talk with him. Instead, GW gave Gilbride free reign and bad decisions were made. Ultimately, that falls on his shoulders for the blame and is why he is not here anymore. I sometimes wonder what would have happened had he hired a different OC...

colin
07-28-2005, 08:07 AM
why fire donanhoe?

who would we replace him with?

if you don't have someone better, taking into consideration growing pains and what not, don't can your GM

there isn't anyone out there better available

Mr. Cynical
07-28-2005, 02:50 PM
"In the end, all that matters is the result on the field."

vicmantak
07-29-2005, 04:49 AM
Mr. Ralph Wilson is simply wise. This extension reassures several issues that prevents contorversy, dilemmas, unavailabilities, etc.
Anyway, it doesn't mean that TD will not face several "issues" if Bills don't make the playoffs THIS SEASON...