PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch the 20 minute Mularkey interview?

Tatonka
07-27-2005, 06:10 PM
he was on the NFL channel on Siruis radio for 20 minutes.. but i just missed it.

:blowup:

ZacGriffi~82
07-27-2005, 08:34 PM

Some tidbits from his interview:

-expectations to start as fast as they finished and emphasis put on that
-use the Steeler game as motivation
-glad to have TH distraction behind them
-likes depth at RB (Jesse Chapman not on radar screen) and will give current guys first chance. Didn't name a frontrunner.
-Minor concerns: over TE injuries and wants to get them confidence early. Be smart with JP getting enough reps.
-JP's elusiveness will help him as a young QB. Planned mobility. Likes his ability to run when things break down, but must learn to slide!
-comparison to Rothlisberger and making plays on the run
-talked about JP's offseason effort. Wasn't asked to do it, personal initiative and eager to learn and wants to do good. He's never satisfied. Teammates have earned respect based on his preparation.
-Sam Wyche tutoring and relationship positive impact on his progress
-Pat Williams spot will be competitive, doesn't expect drop off in defense
-Jonas Jennings spot replaced by Mike Gandy and talked about his starting experience. Liked what they saw on film and took advantage of his opportunities. Long arms. Will give him the chance to fail. Working against Schobel. Have alternative plans if it doesn't work out. Didn't elaborate.
-Doesn't see McGahee as medical risk. One of the harder workers in offseason.
-Roscoe Parrish impressive and in mix as slot receiver and factor on special teams
-takes special teams very serious and bigger emphasis put on it than last year. Uses starters on teams to be as good as they can be.
-If play to our capabilities and play smart football will be a contender - dodged question if they can win division

Nothing too revealing but good to hear Bills talk. He'll be on every Friday during the seaason. Schein and Riggins sensed his confidence. They think we'll miss Pat Williams. Concerns over replacing Jennings with Gandy. That's all.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_391700-->

Tatonka
07-27-2005, 11:25 PM
thanks for that find!

ublinkwescore
07-27-2005, 11:47 PM
I think I got some wood reading that.

juice
07-28-2005, 02:54 AM
I wonder what that plan B for Gandy might be.. It doesn't feel good to have the GM talking about alternatives for the projected starter at LT the week before training camp starts.

An inexperienced starting QB and a questionable LT does not "Give me Wood".:hump:

mysticsoto
07-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I wonder what that plan B for Gandy might be.. It doesn't feel good to have the GM talking about alternatives for the projected starter at LT the week before training camp starts.

An inexperienced starting QB and a questionable LT does not "Give me Wood".:hump:

I believe plan B is Teague. There's an article about it:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3275

My surprise quote on this article:

"He's a very good athlete," McNally said. "He may be our quickest man. He's very quick, athletic and very flexible, fluid..."

ParanoidAndroid
07-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Given McNally's track record, if he says he has confidence in Gandy, I'll be willing to bet Gandy's going to be fine.
This could turn out to be a very good power running team. I see us controlling some serious clock, keeping offenses off the field and getting great field position with special teams domination.
If Buffalo can run in the red zone, they just might be a tough team to beat this year. All JP has to do is take care of the ball and beat the blitz a few times.

mysticsoto
07-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Given McNally's track record, if he says he has confidence in Gandy, I'll be willing to bet Gandy's going to be fine.
This could turn out to be a very good power running team. I see us controlling some serious clock, keeping offenses off the field and getting great field position with special teams domination.
If Buffalo can run in the red zone, they just might be a tough team to beat this year. All JP has to do is take care of the ball and beat the blitz a few times.
Gandy apparently has very long arms which is ideal for the LT position. He apparently also has speed and fluidity which is required for the position and why I think Peters will eventually make a good LT. I hadn't heard Gandy described like that before, so I had no idea - but it's definitely good to hear - and coming from McNally too...that's awesome. It may be that he worked alot on stretching and loosening up when he hurt his hamstring and now has retained his looseness. I do feel better about the line now and it may be why the Bills FO is not that worried about it.

ublinkwescore
07-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Teammates have earned respect based on his preparation.

Shouldnt this read "JP has earned teammates' respect based on his preparation."?