X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

Possible backup RB?

The San Diego Chargers surprisingly waived backup RB Jesse Chatman at the start of training camp, after he failed their physical. The Chargers were very upset with Chatman for not participating in the team's offseason program, especially since he was rehabbing an injury. Chatman and HC Marty Schottenheimer have clashed in the past, expecially over the RB's weight. With Michael Turner entering his 2nd season, San Diego decided to move on with him serving as Ladainian Tomlinson's primary backup.

However, Chatman was very productive for San Diego as a backup RB. The fireplug (5-8, 245#) RB averaged 6 yards a carry last year spelling Tomlinson, including an 11-carry/103 yard performance against a very tough Jacksonville defense. He had put up big numbers carrying the ball in preseason in past years as well.

Chatman is entering his 4th season, and is only 25 years old.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Possible backup RB?

If he has injury, weight and attitude problems, I'd just as soon stick with Lee, Gates, Williams and Burns.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      If he has injury, weight and attitude problems, I'd just as soon stick with Lee, Gates, Williams and Burns.
      Have you seen the kid play? He is much quicker than you think, and runs like a bowling ball.

As for attitude, he hasn't been trouble, and Shottenheimer has had clashes with many players in the past. In fact, he has been a very good player on ST for SD since they signed him as an undrafted player out of 1-AA Eastern Washington.

As for his injury, he was rehabbing a toe injury he played with last season (he hurt it last October), which limited his practice time. He is healthy now.

Basically, the kid was cut because he didn't work out with the team in the offseason. They have some depth with Michael Turner, Darren Sproles and HB/FB-'tweener Andrew Pinnock, so they decided to move in a different direction.

I'd love the see the Pats get him, but I don't think he will make it that far through the waiver process.

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by NE39
        Have you seen the kid play? He is much quicker than you think, and runs like a bowling ball.

As for attitude, he hasn't been trouble, and Shottenheimer has had clashes with many players in the past. In fact, he has been a very good player on ST for SD since they signed him as an undrafted player out of 1-AA Eastern Washington.

As for his injury, he was rehabbing a toe injury he played with last season (he hurt it last October), which limited his practice time. He is healthy now.

Basically, the kid was cut because he didn't work out with the team in the offseason. They have some depth with Michael Turner, Darren Sproles and HB/FB-'tweener Andrew Pinnock, so they decided to move in a different direction.

I'd love the see the Pats get him, but I don't think he will make it that far through the waiver process.
        What kind of runner is her? Power runner between the tackles? Scat back? In-betweener? The thing is, to bring him in, means to get rid of one of ours...Who do we get rid of? Lionel Gates? Shaud Williams?

Comment

• Voltron
          • Jul 2002

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. From stories I have read Marty is not an easy guy to get along with, but at the same time his teams win games so you have to swallow your pride and listen to him. I think that we look ok going into camp. Burns will move over to back-up FB and is a great ST player, Lee had the same problem in Dallas that Chatman had in SD, he didn't get along with Parcells (and we all know how long that list is ). He had some good games and is a big down hill runner, Gates is a question mark at this point and I have never watched him play but from what I hear he has good hands and could be a nice 3rd down option.
          Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
          - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
          -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
          - Mark Twain

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

the guys on nfl channel on sirius were ripping shotenheimer for cutting this guy.. and they were talking about how he has had issues with many many people.. he is a difficult guy to deal with.. they speculated that chatman may have even wanted out of there because of him, thus provoking him to get cut.

chatman is definately a power back.. but has some speed too.. he really is very similar to travis henry, but about 20 lbs heavier.. he looks like a fb really.. but he has got some speed and moves.. he looked awesome every single time he filled in for LT2, which was alot last year.. and averaged 6 yards a carry.

all that being said.. i have not seen Lee play.. but if your going to replace someone... Lee would be the guy that is replaced..

he wont stay on the market for more than a week.. jacksonville should grab him immediately... the fans would forget about travis henry fast.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Tatonka
              the guys on nfl channel on sirius were ripping shotenheimer for cutting this guy.. and they were talking about how he has had issues with many many people.. he is a difficult guy to deal with.. they speculated that chatman may have even wanted out of there because of him, thus provoking him to get cut.

chatman is definately a power back.. but has some speed too.. he really is very similar to travis henry, but about 20 lbs heavier.. he looks like a fb really.. but he has got some speed and moves.. he looked awesome every single time he filled in for LT2, which was alot last year.. and averaged 6 yards a carry.

all that being said.. i have not seen Lee play.. but if your going to replace someone... Lee would be the guy that is replaced..

he wont stay on the market for more than a week.. jacksonville should grab him immediately... the fans would forget about travis henry fast.
              You're right...Jacksonville probably will grab him and get a superb deal on him. Does he play ST? Can he catch also? I guess I wouldn't mind bringing him in. If Shaud gets pushed out then so be it. Gates will probably be on the PS.

By the way, I think Goldsberry might push Burns for the position...or we may have to move Burns back to 3rd string half back...which may eliminate bringing this guy in if he doesn't play good ST!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                The thing is, to bring him in, means to get rid of one of ours...Who do we get rid of? Lionel Gates? Shaud Williams?
                If you bring him in, he has to make the team. Competition is a healthy thing.

As for his running style, he is real low to the ground and has real good balance. He accelerates to the hole quickly and tends to ping-pong off tackles.

Because of his foot injury, Chatman didn't play a ton on ST from October on last year. However, in 2003 he was considered one of the best ST players on San Diego's team.

Probably the biggest drawback with Chatman is that he isn't the most polished receiver. However, the guy can run. I think he is a better player than Lee.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Voltron
                  Lee had the same problem in Dallas that Chatman had in SD, he didn't get along with Parcells
                  Parcells didn't have a personal problem with Chatman, he liked the kid and complimented his effort many times.

Parcells said he didn't trust him, because he made too many mental errors, particularly in blitz pickup.

Comment

• Voltron
                    • Jul 2002

Parcells didn't have a personal problem with Chatman, he liked the kid and complimented his effort many times.

Parcells said he didn't trust him, because he made too many mental errors, particularly in blitz pickup.
                    A friend of mine is Parcells Brother in law .. believe me .. he didn't like the kid
                    - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
                    -Thomas Jefferson

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Voltron
                      A friend of mine is Parcells Brother in law .. believe me .. he didn't like the kid
                      I don't think he had a problem on a personal level as much as he thought him to be stupid.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Chatman is contrite and reports he is in shape:

Jesse Chatman accepts responsibility.

"There's a lot of things I could have done differently," Chatman said yesterday. "It's not over. I'm still learning the system. This was a wake-up call. The NFL is a business. I'm definitely going to take this as a learning experience."

Chatman, LaDainian Tomlinson's backup last season, was released by the Chargers on Tuesday. Coach Marty Schottenheimer said Chatman had not been committed enough to offseason work.

"I don't think that's 100 percent correct," said Chatman, who averaged 6 yards a carry last year.

Chatman, who said his agent has been in contact with a half-dozen teams, acknowledged he had ballooned to 250 pounds but said he is down to 235.

"Every year I prove I can lose the weight," he said. I didn't think it became a major issue, but it was. .... . I thank the Chargers for giving me an opportunity. I can't complain. It wasn't them. It was me."

I'm telling you, the Chargers are going to regret releasing this guy.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

If you bring him in, he has to make the team. Competition is a healthy thing.

As for his running style, he is real low to the ground and has real good balance. He accelerates to the hole quickly and tends to ping-pong off tackles.

Because of his foot injury, Chatman didn't play a ton on ST from October on last year. However, in 2003 he was considered one of the best ST players on San Diego's team.

Probably the biggest drawback with Chatman is that he isn't the most polished receiver. However, the guy can run. I think he is a better player than Lee.
                          Then I guess I'm all for it - though it doesn't sound like anything is happening. Typically, when the Bills want someone, they go after them quickly. Plus, the Jaguars can probably offer him more than we can and they might have contacted him already. But if he's good in ST and he'd like to visit, maybe he'd like to work for a cool coach (Mularkey is a player's coach) and an up and coming team!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Minnesota has expressed interest:

"The Vikings have expressed interest in fourth-year running back Jesse Chatman, who was released Tuesday by San Diego. Chatman was the Chargers' second-leading rusher last season, gaining 392 yards on 65 carries (6.0-yard average) with three touchdowns, but he was waived after failing a team physical."

Comment

• Voltron
                              • Jul 2002

I don't think he had a problem on a personal level as much as he thought him to be stupid.
                              good point.

I will see if I can get more definitive answers but once August hits he really doesn't get to talk to him much for some reason
                              - Frank Dane

-Thomas Jefferson

- Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X