PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Ted Johnson retires

Ickybaluky
07-28-2005, 10:27 AM
Johnson has been a valuable run-stuffer for the Pats last year.

Look for Roman Phifer to be brought back, and Chad Brown to be used more inside.

On the heels of the Bruschi announcement, this is a blow to the Pats.

Tatonka
07-28-2005, 10:28 AM
i think chad brown and vrable should retire too. :D

Ickybaluky
07-28-2005, 10:31 AM
Here is the link (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=12227&pcid=47)

...and another (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=95623).

Ted is a class act and a good guy.

The King
07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
He is Drews best friend also. He was the best man in Drews wedding.

Stewie
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
another chink in the armor

Michael82
07-28-2005, 10:46 AM
i think chad brown and vrable should retire too. :D
don't forget about Tom Brady! He should retire when he's still on top. :dance:

Static
07-28-2005, 10:48 AM

Yes i agree too many rings just looks gaudy.......

Jan Reimers
07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
And take Corey Dillon with him. :lmao:

Michael82
07-28-2005, 10:50 AM
And take Corey Dillon with him. :lmao:

Don't forget about Bill Belichick. He's getting up there in age. He needs to retire too. :snicker:

Bling
07-28-2005, 11:01 AM
I don't think I'd really care if Bruschi was still here.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-28-2005, 11:10 AM
FOXBORO, Mass.(AP) New England linebacker Ted Johnson announced his retirement Thursday after a 10-year NFL career, saying he decided to retire rather than risk further injury following a series of concussions.

A member of three Super Bowl champion teams in New England, Johnson notified the team of his decision a day before veterans were scheduled to begin training camp.

His retirement further weakens the inside linebacker position. Tedy Bruschi, the other starter there, has said he will sit out this season after suffering a minor stroke last winter.

Johnson, 32, was drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 1995 NFL Draft out of Colorado, the 57th overall player selected. The 6-foot-4, 253-pound linebacker started 106 of 125 regular season games from 1995 through 2004 and was credited with 865 career tackles and 11 1/2 sacks.

In addition to playing on all three Super Bowl winners, he also played on the 1996 team that lost to Green Bay in the title game. He started 15 of the team's 16 games last season after starting only two and playing in only eight in 2003 because of concussions.

"It is with deep regret that I have decided to retire from football," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. "The decision was not an easy one, but life sometimes has a timetable all its own. I can no longer ignore the severe short- and long-term complications of the concussive head injuries I have sustained over the years."

"I am proud of all that Ted Johnson has done for the Patriots, both on the field and in the community," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "I know that he positively impacted the lives of thousands of Patriots fans and I fully expect that he will continue to be a positive role model in our communit

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
07-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Thank you Ted! I think that Johnson is much less of a loss than Bruschi, but a loss none the less.

Part of me is happy that some bad things (possibly) have happend to the Pats, but the larger part would rather beat them at full strength than at something less than that. But, heck...if it helps unseat them this year....I'll take it.

Bulldog
07-28-2005, 11:32 AM
Thank you Ted! I think that Johnson is much less of a loss than Bruschi, but a loss none the less.

Part of me is happy that some bad things (possibly) have happend to the Pats, but the larger part would rather beat them at full strength than at something less than that. But, heck...if it helps unseat them this year....I'll take it.

I just hope Ted has a long, productive life after football.

ryjam282
07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes i agree too many rings just looks gaudy.......

I know, look at Bill Russell. His 11 rings are just nasty....He doesn't even wear most of them :lmao:

Mr. Cynical
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Whatever it takes....like I've been saying, all good things must come to an end eventually....hopefully sooner than later.

The_Philster
07-28-2005, 04:33 PM
nice timing...just before camp :up:

ParanoidAndroid
07-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Good luck, Ted!

IHateTheDullphins
07-28-2005, 05:01 PM

Look for Roman Phifer to be brought back, and Chad Brown to be used more inside.

that LB corps is starting to look a little thin. :bf1:

SABURZFAN
07-28-2005, 05:27 PM

Here is the link (http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=latestnewsdetail&pid=12227&pcid=47)

...and another (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=95623).

that is a big blow to the Pats.if they accumulate any injuries at the LB position,it could hurt them even more.with all of these departures,i don't see a Threepeat in new england.JMO.

mysticsoto
07-28-2005, 05:58 PM
that LB corps is starting to look a little thin. :bf1:
Well there not really thin at all actually. I recall reading somewhere that the Pats had signed and currently had 17 LBs on the roster! So clearly, some of this was anticipated by Bellicheck. Now, whether any of the replacements do as good a job as Bruschi and Johnson is another thing...the Patriots do rely heavily on LBs for the main part of their defense, so it is important that they find good replacements. Here's hoping they don't!

:cheers:

Ickybaluky
07-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Well there not really thin at all actually. I recall reading somewhere that the Pats had signed and currently had 17 LBs on the roster! So clearly, some of this was anticipated by Bellicheck. Now, whether any of the replacements do as good a job as Bruschi and Johnson is another thing...the Patriots do rely heavily on LBs for the main part of their defense, so it is important that they find good replacements. Here's hoping they don't!

:cheers:

I think it leaves them thin inside, especially given Chad Brown's injury history. They are loaded at OLB with the likes of McGinest, Colvin, Vrabel, Banta-Cain and Chatham. Vrabel and Chatham reportedly worked some inside at minicamp, just to increase versatility. A move like that may be in the works.

Drive 4 Five
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
FOXBORO, Mass.(AP) New England linebacker Ted Johnson announced his retirement Thursday after a 10-year NFL career, saying he decided to retire rather than risk further injury following a series of concussions.

A member of three Super Bowl champion teams in New England, Johnson notified the team of his decision a day before veterans were scheduled to begin training camp.

His retirement further weakens the inside linebacker position. Tedy Bruschi, the other starter there, has said he will sit out this season after suffering a minor stroke last winter.

Johnson, 32, was drafted by the Patriots in the second round of the 1995 NFL Draft out of Colorado, the 57th overall player selected. The 6-foot-4, 253-pound linebacker started 106 of 125 regular season games from 1995 through 2004 and was credited with 865 career tackles and 11 1/2 sacks.

In addition to playing on all three Super Bowl winners, he also played on the 1996 team that lost to Green Bay in the title game. He started 15 of the team's 16 games last season after starting only two and playing in only eight in 2003 because of concussions.

"It is with deep regret that I have decided to retire from football," Johnson said in a statement issued by the team. "The decision was not an easy one, but life sometimes has a timetable all its own. I can no longer ignore the severe short- and long-term complications of the concussive head injuries I have sustained over the years."

"I am proud of all that Ted Johnson has done for the Patriots, both on the field and in the community," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said. "I know that he positively impacted the lives of thousands of Patriots fans and I fully expect that he will continue to be a positive role model in our communit

:bf1:

Best of luck. I think it is sad to see mighty warriors like Johnson & Bruschi leave the game.

MDFINFAN
07-28-2005, 08:33 PM

That was a classy guy, I'm glad he did get the rings, I've liked him every since he go to NE. Good luck Teddy.

Ickybaluky
07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
:bf1:

Best of luck. I think it is sad to see mighty warriors like Johnson & Bruschi leave the game.

Bruschi hasn't ruled out a return. He reportedly wants to play again someday, and has stated he is not retiring. Also, he was placed on the PUP to start camp, not the IR. That means there is a chance he could return this year, between weeks 6 and 9, if his medical situation is clarified.

Granted, nobody knows what Tedy's situation will be mid-season, but he will at least have the option of returning. It would obviously be a big boost for the Pats.

Crisis
07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Bruschi hasn't ruled out a return. He reportedly wants to play again someday, and has stated he is not retiring. Also, he was placed on the PUP to start camp, not the IR. That means there is a chance he could return this year, between weeks 6 and 9, if his medical situation is clarified.

Granted, nobody knows what Tedy's situation will be mid-season, but he will at least have the option of returning. It would obviously be a big boost for the Pats.
Could you think of the disaster/lawsuits involved if he does come back and gets serverly hurt? I don't think it's worth it for him...

There are few priorities over football, but health is one of them.

Philisophical Troll
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM

This is a blow, as Teddy Johnson was another defensive warrior with heart and desire. I'm sure Bellechek will figure things out, and this will only be a minor hindrance in the Pats quest for all out NFL domination once again this season. Time for Brady and Billy Boy to truly earn their money this season says a philisophical troll.

mysticsoto
07-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Could you think of the disaster/lawsuits involved if he does come back and gets serverly hurt? I don't think it's worth it for him...

There are few priorities over football, but health is one of them.

I'm pretty sure he'd have to sign all kinds of waivers if he came back to play. Personally, I think he should call it quits. Not only b'cse I feel the Patriots are a worst team without him (which is obviously good for us) but b'cse your life is something you can't replace. He's got money...he's got rings...he's got a family that want him to be alive. There's really no other more important reason that should drive him to come back and play.