X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

(Opinion) Pride's Year End Analysis

[Coaching] - This will lead off since, most of the following has something to do with it. I believe that this was a playoff team. I understand that we are rebuilding, but with the subpar year that all of the teams had, we should have made a wild card, if not the division.
    GW - Of the top 3, he deserves to stay the most, but only because the other 2 suck so bad.
    KG - Get this guy out of town NOW!!! He single handedly ruined a great season for Drew.
    JG - He might have bought himself another season, but I am not impress thus far.

[Offense] - The tale of two halves. With KG sucking so bad with the horrid play calling, and the giving up on the run, it is a miracle that the first half of the season was great for the O. Can you spell ADJUSTMENT Mr. Gilbride?
    Bledsoe - He is still our QB for the next 3+ years. Give him a balanced offense, and a Defense that doesn't put us behind by 14 in the first quarter, and he will put up great numbers in a good way.
    Henry - Hand him the damn ball, after he learns to hang onto the ball in traffic.
    Moulds - nothing to be said.
    Price - pack your bags, there is a rookie waiting to take over your spot, you sack of ****.
    Oline - With a balanced Offense, they will improve, no big adjustments needed here.
    TE - Cut both of them, and hire another Tackle. We don't utilize the receiving TE's anyway.

[Defense] - They showed improvement, but the 46 needs to go.
    DLine - They suck, but with the addition of 1 or 2 studs, they already have the foundation. Schobel may come on strong next year with help.
    LB's - Robinson is gone, but the rest will improve when the Dline improves.
    Corners - This is our strength. Start Thomas next year (nickle), but keep Watson as #4.
    Safety's - With experience, they will stabalize.

[Special Teams] - Some major changes needed here.
    KR - Cut them all and use Bryson or Morris back there.
    PR - Cut them all and put Watson Back there.
    K - Hollis is average, if there is a better kicker on FA, grab him.
    P - Mooreman is the guy for a few years.
    Coverage - They solidified, but it would help if the Kicker could get it to the goal line on a regular basis.

[Next year] - We can win the division next year, if 3-4 changes are made. Dline (2), OLB (1), WR (1?) <- Price gone.

That is my analysis, take it or leave it. I will not reply to this message, as I am sure some will have something to disagree with.
  • SoCalBillsFan
    Expert on Experts
    • Jul 2002

Peerless can stay if it is for the right price (haha), GW still should be gone, I dont care if he sucks the least, he still sucks, and I agree this team could have made the playoffs.

Comment

• Dozerdog
      In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

It's a shame they saved their jobs with a decent december (3-2) wins over the Fish and a good SD team)

Tom Coughlin is inching closer to unemployment. I would have loved to see him in here

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

Unfortunately, SD is not as good in week 16 as they were in week 6

Neither are the Dolphins. They shouldn't rank as high on the "save my job" list as they once did earlier in the season.

Comment

• colin
          Drew's my hero!
          • Jul 2002

Cut both of our TEs, get rid of our OC and change our D?

Terrible.

Comment

• Judge
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by colin
            Cut both of our TEs, get rid of our OC and change our D?

Terrible.
            I agree Colin- Pride's plan is a mess.
            Argue like hell. Keep it clean. And when it's over, shake hands and root for our team!

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Kevin Thomas has 2 decent games and you want him to start????? Who may I ask is he going to start over? Winfield or Clements???

Comment

• Pride
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                Kevin Thomas has 2 decent games and you want him to start????? Who may I ask is he going to start over? Winfield or Clements???
                Sorry, edited the post with clarification. Start him over Watson in Nickle D is what I was going for.

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Ahhh, to hell with it... lets banter!

Tell me 1 good reason to keep KG or JG around for another season.

Is our Offense so ingrained in our players mind that they cannot run the ball more often? It is just expected to pass 70% of the time, and they can't change? Can Travis Henry not handle the load? Other than the change in philosophy, nothing else changes.
                  And his current pass 70%, run 30% philosophy SUCKS! If you don't believe me, ask drew!

And Jerry Gray, does anyone REALLY believe that the current 46 D that is installed in Buffalo will lead us, or even aid us in getting to and winning the Super Bowl? If you said yes to that question, then you haven't watched the games this year. This defense will not win us any games, and will struggle to keep us in them most of the time. For being such an agressive D, how many Turn Overs do we have? How many Sacks?

And are you telling me that changing to a standard 4-3 / 3-4 with small variations with the current talent, and the new talent to come will not work? Did anyone watch when Wade was running our D? How about Cotrell? Just wondering.

It sounds radical yes, but I believe until we make these changes, we may get the playoffs, but we will NEVER win the SB.

Comment

• ejsmith
                    • Aug 2002

I love all these people that say that we should just run the ball 80% of the time. Did you watch the games?? Whenever we tried to just run a power running game we didn't have a lot of success. OUR PASSING GAME SETUP THE RUNNING GAME! Travis Henry would not have had the season that he had if DB didn't loosen up the defense for him. Ideally, next year our OL will have another year of experience and will be able to really dominate and maybe then we will have the ability to setup the passing game with the running game.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                      • Jul 2002

"Sorry, edited the post with clarification. Start him over Watson in Nickle D is what I was going for."

Oh ok!!! well then I agree!

Comment

• HenryRules
                        • Jul 2002

I agree with ejsmith and have one other question for people wishing to run the ball more ... did Travis Henry not fumble the ball enough without running the ball in short yardage situations?? Imagine how many more fumbles he would have had if we ran the ball when other teams had their big hitters in there. Don't forget, Henry seldom got stripped of the ball, it was big hits that caused him to drop it, so big hitters would have caused more fumbles. Gilbride has shown in the past that when he feels comfortable with a back, he'll give him the ball (see his time in Pittsburgh where he gave Bettis the ball about 350 times in one season), so why is it Gilbride's fault that he doesn't have faith in our RB to avoid fumbles?
                        As far as cutting both TE's ... what did Dave Moore do to upset everyone?? The guys a solid blocker and has proven over his career, and again this season, that he's really good at getting open near the endzone. What's wrong with having a guy like that in your lineup? I understand that JR is overpaid and wanting to cut him, but see no reason to get rid of Moore at all.
                        Now, on to Gray ... the reason we have no turnovers is because Watson played CB almost all season ... notice that whenever teams threw near Clements or Winfield we started to get turnovers?? Watson can't catch or cover regardless of who his receiver is and the 46 is based on man coverage ... tell me, with Watson on single, why would any team throw near anyone but him? Perhaps with our personnel, we might have been better suited to a different D, but we're rebuilding. We're setting the foundation for when we have a full complement of players ... if you ask me, it doesn't make sense to bring in a different D (i.e. 34) for the two years where we're undermanned, and then once we get all the players in to change to the 46 D we really want to use. I'm not even sure that we would have had more success if we went to a 34 D. Our LBs are not that strong right now ... Robinson would still have to play OLB and I don't know who else we'd put in the other ILB slot. Also, Chidi might have worked alright as one DE in the 34, but Schobel IMO is much better suited to a 43-style DE than to being a 34-style DE.

Comment

• Pride
                          • Jul 2002

I'll bite:

The idea about firing Gray is that we would also be scrapping the 46 with it!

When I say we switch to the 3-4 or 4-3, I meant as a permanent switch, not just a stop gap until we have the talent to play the 46. I do not believe in the 46... hasn't worked since Buddy Ryan, the Off Coords around the league figured it out 10 years ago.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

The Titans seem to be doing alright the last few years. Can't think of anyone else playing the 46 right now.
                            However, I can understand your position about canning Gray if you want to get rid of the 46, but I think we're too far along that path right now to scrap it.

Comment

• Pride
                              • Jul 2002

Do the titans still run the 46, the way that GW ran it?

I honestly do not know the answer to this.

Comment

Working...
                              X