PDA

View Full Version : Ward threatens to sit out until he gets paid

Gunzlingr
07-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Hines Ward, the Steelers' four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, threw one of his famous downfield blocks on his own team yesterday when he proclaimed he will not report to training camp -- or show up at any point this season -- until he receives a contact extension.

<!--BEGIN PHOTO--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=240 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050729lfHinesWard02.1_230.jpg (http://www.post-gazette.com/popup.asp?img=http://www.post-gazette.com/images3/20050729lfHinesWard02.1_450.jpg)</TD><TD>http://www.post-gazette.com/images/blank.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD>Lake Fong, Post-Gazette
Hines Ward talks to reporters before an autograph session yesterday at the Waterfront complex in Homestead.
Click photo for larger image.

<CENTER>Related coverage</CENTER>http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/newsimages/golddot.gifBob Smizik: Steelers, Ward need each other (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05210/545640.stm)

Hines Ward's 2004 Salary <TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 width=220 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Base Salary</TD><TD>1,668,750</TD></TR><TR><TD>Signing Bonus</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR><TD>Other Bonus</TD><TD>3,200</TD></TR><TR><TD>Total Salary</TD><TD>$1,671,950</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Source: USA Today <HR></TD><TD>http://www.post-gazette.com/images/blank.gif</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!--END PHOTO-->Ward, who has one year left on a contract he signed in 2001, said he's prepared to sit out the entire season if there's no new contract.

"I just want my fair market value, that's all I can ask for," Ward said yesterday afternoon before an autograph appearance at the Sprint PCS Store at the Waterfront complex in Homestead. "I'm not asking to break the bank or anything. I just want compensated."

He then made comments to the media on hand that were directed to the Steelers and referred to president Art Rooney's 2004 promise to make him a priority in contract discussions this year.

"Last year, you told me to wait, which is understandable; I had two years left on my deal and I went about it. I reported to everything you wanted me to do; I've done everything you asked me to do.

"You said you want to make me first priority, now here it is a couple days from training camp and we're still negotiating. But I think everything will work out; there's nothing personal, it's a business."

Ward will remain in town at least for the next few days in case a contract agreement is reached. The four-time Pro Bowl wide receiver, however, acknowledged there has been little progress and the two sides have barely talked over the past month.

"They haven't even talked to my agent but once, as of Monday," Ward said. "They made an initial offer, my agent countered it. And that was it, there was no more negotiating after that."

A Steelers spokesman said no one from the team would comment on what Ward said.

The Post-Gazette reported yesterday the Steelers' offer would make Ward the highest-paid player in their history. Ward said his main aim is to receive as much guaranteed money as he can because in the NFL, players can be released with years left on their contract and the club is not obligated to pay any of it. The Steelers' offer includes more than $8 million in a signing bonus and might be closer to $9 million. Many receivers over the past five years have received signing bonuses of more than $10 million, but many washed out after signing those contracts. Most notable among the failures was Joey Galloway, who received a $12.5 million signing bonus from the Cowboys in 2000, even though he never made a Pro Bowl. Ward might have in mind the kind of deal that Muhsin Muhammad received this year from the Chicago Bears. Muhammad, 32, received a $12 million bonus.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05210/545641.stm

He turned down an $8-9 mil. signing bonus???? :shocked:

FlyingDutchman
07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
He deserves money, hes the 37th highest paid reciever and a top 10 reciever....

don137
07-29-2005, 02:08 PM
Lets hope for a very long and disruptive hold out....

mysticsoto
07-29-2005, 02:20 PM
He deserves money, hes the 37th highest paid reciever and a top 10 reciever....
Just live Javon Walker...he's getting paid peanuts...

THATHURMANATOR
07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Ward deserves it.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I heard his entire interview yesterday. Let me put it this way. This is his last chance for big money and he knows it - he's a smart guy! Next year he's 30 and no WR gets big contract after 30. So he has to go for it now instead of the usual "play well in the contract year." Also the Steelers just got rid of Burress and really cannot afford to not having Ward if they want to go to that promised land this year.

He has not asked to be traded or anything to that nature. He just want his money, now, in terms of guaranteed money. And that's straight from his mouth: guaranteed money.

billsburgh
07-30-2005, 12:17 AM
I don't see the Rooney's showing him more money than they've already offered him. It's not their style. I hope this gets very ugly so I can enjoy every minute of it. Lets see how good Ben really is without his two starting receivers from last season.

ShadowHawk7
07-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Ward deserves it.
For real.

LifetimeBillsFan
07-30-2005, 05:32 AM
If there's a guy who deserves to get paid more than he has been making and is in a great position to demand that he get paid or he will hold out, it is H.Ward.

The deal that the Steelers are reportedly offering sounds like they are trying to accomodate him--it may not be as much as the Bears gave M.Muhammad, but IMHO that was "stupid money" for Muhammad. I'm all in favor of players getting paid what they are worth, but, if there is one thing that teams have learned from the Pats, it's that a team doesn't have to lock up a large percentage of its salary cap in its stars' contracts to be successful. There will always be some franchises that will be willing to overpay for star players, but I think you will see more and more teams following the Pats' model and being willing to let stars go if they are going to cost too much rather than keeping them; especially if they are in or heading into their 30s.

Charlieguide
07-30-2005, 11:23 PM
Well put, Lifetime.

Too many agents see too many players getting paid too much money. Players need to start realizing their goals, and working towards them. If it's money they want, fine, go to the highest bidder and make them pay so much they can't field a viable team. But if they play to win, to leave a legacy, then they need to realize what the rest of the world (coaches, team execs, fans, media) has: it takes sacrifice, good coaching, and a team-first mentality to win consistently in the NFL. Nobody wins with star players, anymore.

G. Host
07-30-2005, 11:54 PM
Ward signed a deal and he ought to honor it. This was not a rookie contract but one he had his agent negotiate rather than testing the market. Looking for a big contract before age 30 is not a good reason - he could have negotiated a shorter contract or looked elsewhere. Would he have given back money (signing, guarenteed money) if he was not successful? No. So he should not be able to hold out. NFL oight to change rules so that if a player holds out he needs to forfit all bonuses previously before they are allowed to play.

The King
07-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah I agree. Hines deserves his pay. I am suprised he brought it to the media like this he is normally a quiet guy who just shuts up and performs. But it seems the Steelers aee brushing him off which give him every right to.

Charlieguide
07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
I don't think this is about the 2005 season, G. Host. Ward was quoted as saying that the Steelers promised to make extending his contract a priority this past spring, and they haven't. He doesn't want a raise; he wants to have a job after 2005, and I can understand that.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-31-2005, 01:07 PM
This is unique to NFL contracts. If a team make a mistake of signing a player to a contract he does not deserve, the team can cut him, therefore breaking the contract. If a player makes a mistake of signing a contract that underpays him, the only course of action is to sit out, which also breaks the contract. The difference is that the former is legal under the collective bargaining agreement. Of course the team assumes the responsibility of the signing bonus yet to be realized.

I'm not for or against players in any way, but I understand why they do so under the current system. For those sports team with guaranteed contracts (baseball, NBA), you rarely see a hold out.

G. Host
07-31-2005, 01:53 PM
This is unique to NFL contracts. If a team make a mistake of signing a player to a contract he does not deserve, the team can cut him, therefore breaking the contract.

It is not "breaking the contract". It is part of the contract terms and the reason for the money up front.

And he wants the extension now so he can get another signing bonus and make the previous signing bonus divided by one less year - if he just wanted to lock up a contract I think the Steelers would oblige.

ghz in pittsburgh
07-31-2005, 02:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, releasing a player under contract without paying him is breaking a contract. It is just that it is allowed under the term. Otherwise they should not specify terms for future years and negotiate each year when it's time.

Hines' issue is not for someone to guarantee his salary of 2005. His issue is being underpaid for the last 4 years and he wants to make it up some with some guaranteed money for his next contract. But his leverage is right now, not a year from now.

BillsOwnAll
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
I don't see the Rooney's showing him more money than they've already offered him. It's not their style. I hope this gets very ugly so I can enjoy every minute of it. Lets see how good Ben really is without his two starting receivers from last season.Well Ben wouldnt be as good obviously. Not many QBs would be good if you took away there two top reciviers.