PDA

View Full Version : Hey TD, Do you think Coach Williams did a good job?

LtBillsFan66
12-29-2002, 08:21 PM
"I think Gregg did an excellent job and under the circumstances I think that some of the criticism he was taking was unfair and unwarranted. Our coaches in two years have not operated with a full roster. Next year we will. I'm anxious to see them coach and perform with a full complement of players."

http://www.buffalobills.com/games/index.cfm?cont_id=155045

BillC
12-29-2002, 08:23 PM
You mean we played with half a deck?

lordofgun
12-29-2002, 08:26 PM
I love that quote! That means we're in for a BIG offseason!

Novacane
12-29-2002, 08:28 PM
I'd give him a B-. He came on at the end of the year!

LtBillsFan66
12-29-2002, 08:31 PM
"I'm anxious to see them coach and perform with a full complement of players."

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ublinkwescore
12-29-2002, 08:40 PM
Several observances I noticed - The D did get considerably better as the year proceeded - Coy Wire and Kevin Smith in particular have definitely played with both heart and cunning lately. Coy Wire has shown flashes of being a probowler off and on, but more consistently so towards the end of the season. And as far as Kevin Smith goes - I heard his name more then Antoine Winfield's (I hope that's only because teams don't throw it within 10 yards of Winfield), but anyways he's quite the refreshing surprise. Peirson Preileao (I swear I used to know how to spell it) needs to be a little more consistent, but he's still young. We really are only a DT, a couple of LBs, and maybe a safety away from being a serious threat next year - I do think we should start seriously considering grooming Travis Brown to be our QB of the future now. He's shown flashes of brilliance as well.

Anyways, I'd say we keep Gregg Williams for one more year, and if we don't make the playoffs, then bye bye Gregg.

I do think we need to negotiate hard to try to keep Peerless Price because having two great recieving threats will be key to keeping this offense clicking. But we need a D to keep them from feeling the constant pressures of having to play perfect football week in and week out.

Tatonka
12-29-2002, 08:53 PM
kevin smith?

LtBillsFan66
12-29-2002, 08:55 PM
I think he meant Kevin Thomas.

I think both Coy Wire and London Fletcher turned it up a notch or two as the season went on. Winfield and Clements have been solid. We have a nice foundation. Not a gut job like we were looking at this time last year.

ublinkwescore
12-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant Thomas Smith screwed me up.

ublinkwescore
12-29-2002, 09:00 PM
We should keep London Fletcher, but thank god we only signed Eddie Robinson to a one year deal. We've got some dead weight to cut loose this offseason. Next year we should be able to have second stringers on D that would be able to start on other football teams.

ublinkwescore
12-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Jay Riemersma needs to go.

The Natrix
12-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I do think we should start seriously considering grooming Travis Brown to be our QB of the future now. He's shown flashes of brilliance as well.

I guess those two rolling rocks did a number on you
:scratch:

HenryRules
12-29-2002, 09:21 PM
ublinkwescore, when have you seen Travis Brown play? From what I remember against Miami last year, he looked like a possible backup, but nothing that made me think of him being a starter. I don't think he got any snaps during the season or anything.
I missed the preseason though, did he look really good then?

doug45
12-30-2002, 06:33 AM
I give him a F. He may by a good second man but needs a lot more to be a head coach. We have a lot of good players on the team now but we need someone that can lead them and shape them, and it is not GW or his buddies. We need a man with more time as a head coach.

Historian
12-30-2002, 07:45 AM
...its taken him two years to get as good as Wade Phillips WORST season. We essentially wasted two years, and several thousand dollars on tickets, watching his innane decisions and horrid special teams.

Get a real coach with experience. Get Parcells. Get anybody, just get rid of this fool and his high scool assistants.

HotRod
12-30-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
Jay Riemersma needs to go.

He may decide to retire.

clumping platelets
12-30-2002, 07:54 AM
:rolleyes:

Wade Phillips had a start-studded roster with a GM who put the present regime in cap hell. TD has done a solid, if not, outstanding job and GW and other coaches deserve a chance with better overall talent on D

TedMock
12-30-2002, 08:05 AM
I can't honestly give GW a fair evaluation. The last regime was stocked on defense. GW came into a horrible situation that Vince Lombardi couldn't have succeeded in. He and TD said from day 1 that they'll need 3 seasons to have a complete team. We hand the guy a bunch of crap and then tell him to succeed?! As long as the players believe in him there's a chance. Next year is year 3 and the cap issues are gone. Get the guy some players and let's give him a fair assessment next season. To call for his head now is ridiculous. To call for it next year if they're not in the playoffs makes more sense. I expected 7-9 this year, they did 8-8. That's better than what I was hoping out of this team so I say keep him another year and let's see what happens.

Earthquake Enyart
12-30-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
"I'm anxious to see them coach and perform with a full complement of players."

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'd like the players to perform with a full complement of coaches.

doug45
12-30-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
I can't honestly give GW a fair evaluation. The last regime was stocked on defense. GW came into a horrible situation that Vince Lombardi couldn't have succeeded in. He and TD said from day 1 that they'll need 3 seasons to have a complete team. We hand the guy a bunch of crap and then tell him to succeed?! As long as the players believe in him there's a chance. Next year is year 3 and the cap issues are gone. Get the guy some players and let's give him a fair assessment next season. To call for his head now is ridiculous. To call for it next year if they're not in the playoffs makes more sense. I expected 7-9 this year, they did 8-8. That's better than what I was hoping out of this team so I say keep him another year and let's see what happens.

For what you pay for tickets I expect them to be in it every year. There seems to always be another excuse why we didn't do well. GW and that group of friends he put together has to go and we need to bring in some coach with the tools to get it done.

ublinkwescore
12-30-2002, 10:43 AM
Calm down there Duke.

We'll be in the playoffs next year.

TedMock
12-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by doug45

For what you pay for tickets I expect them to be in it every year. There seems to always be another excuse why we didn't do well. GW and that group of friends he put together has to go and we need to bring in some coach with the tools to get it done.

It's not an excuse, the team itself was flat out horrible last year. Nobody could've been a miracle worker. I'm being realistic. I'll be the first to say get rid of him next year if there's not a playoff appearance. The team was not ready this year, nobody thought they were. Yes it would be nice to be a contender every single year but there are 32 teams and just not enough spots for all of them to be in the playoffs and every team goes through a span where they're rebuilding. I'll never make up excuses for them losing but we all knew 2 years ago that this wasn't going to happen overnight. I'm confident that they're right on track and I'm very pleased with where they're going. Cap problems are gone next season and this will allow them to fill in the holes they currently have. They're not far off and tickets to the Bills games are fairly cheap when compared to other stadiums.

Andrea1234
12-31-2002, 12:38 AM
the GM said that next season GW will have a full rooster to play with so lets see what happends then call for him to get a pink silp

LABillsFan
12-31-2002, 02:44 AM
Like him or not the players play hard for him and respect him. He does need help with his asst.'s though. I'm interested in seeing what the Bills do about their special ed teams, QB and DL coach.

Bert102176
01-01-2003, 05:41 PM
I say in the 3rd round we draft Chris Simms or prefer Eli Manning if he comes out or if we think they will be there in the 4th then we draft them there.