PDA

View Full Version : So What do we learn about Losman so far?

ghz in pittsburgh
07-31-2005, 02:15 PM
I just love Losman's media savvy: he wears everything on his sleeves and everyone can see it. The one quote that struck me from the infinite number of articles about him yesterday was that Losman had been study hard on the plays so that he can let his nature ability take over without thinking too hard or worrying about defenses. Now there is also a Boston.com article mentioning that Brady is the best among all NFL QBs to process defense information in the few seconds after a ball is snapped so that he can attack effectively.

If you put 2 and 2 together, I got Kordell Stewart for you.

Because that's exactly how Mularkay got Kordell back on track after Gilbride could not turn Kordell into a rocket science of dissecting defense!

And with that, I'm beginning to find the handle of how Mularkay is going to use Losman this season.

I'm not saying JP is as dumb as Kordell and will never assemble defense information at the helm. But I think the order of business for Losman will be simple: go and execute the called play; if it's not there, let your physical ability take over - scramble, run whatever, make something positive.

Which is exactly what Kordell did in his successful years.

Which the Bills could not do with a statue like Beldsoe.

Knowing the playbook like the back of your hand is important: 1) you need to be able to execute the play in the first place and 2) know where people are when the play break down while you are on the run.

Studying defenses? I'm sure he'll do some for each opponent every week. But Mularkay may not want to overwhelm him with all the possibilities, logical reasons, thinkings right now. You got the physical ability and instinct (which is evident from his college days), use it.

There is nothing wrong with this approach. Even Michael Vick is still at this stage as far as I'm concerned. But I think it'll take an exceptional athlete to pull it off. Kordell was an exceptional athlete and durable. Vick is probably the best athlete in entire NFL.

Can Losman translate his superior athletic ability from college to NFL and still be superior to most of his peers?

Over time, when you gets older, this approach may not work any more. It happened to Kordell. But this is now. Losman is only 25.

Another quote that caught my eye is that Losman said that Wyche keeps telling him what he did so far is good enough. This tells me that no matter how cocky he sounded, he still has a confidence issue, like every young QB getting their first kick at NFL. Looking back to Roethlisberger's success last year and how he credited that the early success - winning games - made him feel much more confident and play up to his ability, I'm convinced that it'll be much safer to go with the conservative approach at the beginning (vs letting Losman air it out as someone feared that opponents will be gearing for McGahee). The worst thing would be for Losman to throw picks, fumbles, and lose a couple of games because of that. Hand off to mcGahee, let the defense and ST do their thing, let your instinct take you as far as running/scrambling and making something positive, win a few games even if they are ugly. You get a young QB confidence up, understanding what it takes to win a game. Maybe just like Roethlisberger figured out last year, it may not be as difficult and you may not need to do it all to win at this level.

Tatonka
07-31-2005, 04:34 PM
great post.

Tinboy
08-01-2005, 03:29 AM
I agree with you a 100%. It would be unrealstic to think that Loosman could get out there and play like a veteran.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-01-2005, 04:17 AM
I also agree with your take. Good points!

To add to what you said, I was interested to see in Mikey's report that JP threw a couple of passes away in practice on Sunday when the DBs had his receiver too tightly covered. That tells me that the coaches have succeeded in getting it into his head that they don't want him to force the ball if the receiver isn't open and would rather have him give up the down than turn the ball over--something D.Bledsoe and a lot of young QBs have a lot of difficulty learning to do. But, it reinforces your point about how they are going to use JP and what they are going to be asking him to do.

Big M
08-01-2005, 06:10 AM
The worst thing would be for Losman to throw picks, fumbles, and lose a couple of games because of that.

In other words, don't be Bledsoe. :D:

I like your thinking. :goodpost:

buff what?
08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
I agree with you a 100%. It would be unrealstic to think that Loosman could get out there and play like a veteran.Ahh, how refreshing, a realistic bills fan.

Dora The Explorer
08-01-2005, 08:47 AM
It's hard for me to say this but Losman is way better than Bleadsoe :(

justasportsfan
08-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Losman is gonna be a winner. You can tell however that he is an attention seeker. He knows people are watching him and he's enjoying the limelight. Hope it doesn't get to his head.

Tatonka
08-01-2005, 09:19 AM
what makes you say that?

justasportsfan
08-01-2005, 09:34 AM
what makes you say that?there's some swagger about him that seems to want to be the center of attraction. Never saw that in Drew or any of our qb's. While everyone is laid back , he's doing something to stick out. He knows he's the man now. I like it though.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-01-2005, 09:54 AM
I actually suspected this part. It is not without some fact that scouts would say that he's cocky. And veterans, too. Vincent may have wanted to give him a lesson last year but wound up injurying him. And Mularkay might indeed try to bring him down a little by throwing him in that NE game (which, btw, is still the standard of how I view him until he proves to me otherwise in a regular game).

All it matters is whether Losman can back it up on the field.

I can feel the cocky-ness from McGahee, from college to injury, to the pros. He may not be as outspoken as Losman and his demeanor is much subdued compared to Losman. But make no mistake, everyone can feel it: he wants to be THE runningback of NFL and he wants to be the highest paid as such. You may see some lack of confidence following the injury last year, but this year I think he knows he CAN back up between the lines every bit of cocky attitude he has.

Troll Master
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Loseman is not a very good QB. I think the Bills should bring back the little general so he can utilize his magical box of flutie flakes and win games for this struggling franchise

mysticsoto
08-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Loseman is not a very good QB. I think the Bills should bring back the little general so he can utilize his magical box of flutie flakes and win games for this struggling franchise
Another guy to Ignore??? It's like they are coming out from under the rocks...ba dum pum...